Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Could WinCab add the "pops & clicks" of vinyl to the beginning of MP3's?  (Read 8082 times)

RPO R6V

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 02:17:34 pm
Yet another question or request.  Hope I'm not being a big pain in the arse!  I posted this question to the general Audio/Jukebox/MP3 message board, but since I selfishly want it for WinCab since that's what I'm using, I'll paraphrase it here:

Has anyone else heard Sirius satellite radio's channel called "Classic Vinyl"?  Sometimes when they play a song (usually after a station ID) you hear, just before the song, the sound of a phonograph needle touching down on a vinyl record, complete with clicks and pops as though the record were not very clean - then, about one second later, the song starts to play while the clicks and pops continue in the background for just a couple of seconds at most and then fade out, leaving just the usual sound quality of as though you were listening to a CD.  Could WinCab do this somehow? 

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Hm.  There's a message for a song starting that you can key a sound effect off, but it's triggered when the music actually starts.  I'd need to add a message to the beginning of the delay.  You can already set the inter-song delay time in jukebox.ini, then you just need to create the sound effect with the desired length and fade built into it.

Since the sound effect will start when the song isn't playing, it won't be affected by the Volume When Playing setting which is usually 0.

This message is trivial to add.  I'll put it in for the next update, which will come "any day now" after I iron out a touchscreen problem.  If you can slip me your E-mail address at celamantia@charter.net, I can send you a test version before I fix the touchscreen (assuming you don't need a touchscreen).

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

RPO R6V

• Offline Offline
You've got mail (or should soon).  Thanks!

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Trying to think of the best way to do this.  I had a huge post here about it but decided to make it a topic of its own.
--Chris

ebateman21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2009, 04:34:20 pm
    • My Wincab Skins Page
In order for this to sound like the Sirius effect, a crossfade would have to be implemented between the sound effect and the song, which leads me to the next question...are there any bells and whistles available to plug in to the Allegro MP3 engine? I haven't found very much support/documentation for allegMP3 online.

ebateman21

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
In order for this to sound like the Sirius effect, a crossfade would have to be implemented between the sound effect and the song

Not really.  The song itself doesn't crossfade, it starts at full volume.  The delay length is known ahead of time.  So if you use a 2-second delay, you create a 5 or 6 second sound effect and build the fade into the sound effect itself.

To make this work well, though, you really need to have several effects and have the juke pick one randomly.  It won't take long for the exact pop/hiss pattern to become really noticeable over and over.   That won't be in the next version, but in the next major revision it should be doable.

which leads me to the next question...are there any bells and whistles available to plug in to the Allegro MP3 engine? I haven't found very much support/documentation for allegMP3 online.
Not that I'm aware of... certainly nothing an end-user can plug in.
--Chris

ebateman21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2009, 04:34:20 pm
    • My Wincab Skins Page
So the sound effect could actually play over the song?

Here is an example of what the SFX might sound like...

record.mp3

That's the first time I've ever isolated and enhanced record noise! :)

ebateman21

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
So the sound effect could actually play over the song?
Sure.  There is a separate volume setting for sound effects when songs are playing, and by default it's set to 0 to disable sound effects when the music is on.  But it's only checked when the sound effect starts... so if the sound starts before the song does, it can play on top of it.

--Chris
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: Could WinCab add the "pops & clicks" of vinyl to the beginning of MP3's?
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 03:40:22 pm »
Okay, this is all in and working beautifully, right down to the clicks playing under the beginning of the song and fading out. I may even make it part of the default "classic" skin.  Look for a release tonight.  Still have a touchscreen issue to fix.

--Chris
--Chris

RPO R6V

• Offline Offline
Re: Could WinCab add the "pops & clicks" of vinyl to the beginning of MP3's?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 09:34:58 pm »
Chris has made this part of the latest release and it's great!   :applaud:

jdsabin1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2018, 09:22:45 pm
  • MAME - It's all about the gameplay.
Older post but just found WinCab. Have it working but don't see anywhere in the ini file where I can insert this sound effect to have it play/fade in when each MP3 plays.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

xk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2024, 08:50:49 am
The sounds are found in the SKN files.
Look in the skin folder and check out the numeric.skn file for an example
*SOUNDS* are the last section as below.

##########################################################
#
# Sounds Section
#
# Sets sound effects to respond to jukebox messages.
# To respond to a message being "un-set", put a minus sign
# before the message name.  The message BTN_ANY will
# respond to any BTN message.  See readme.txt for a list
# of available messages.
#
##########################################################

[Sounds]
BTN_COIN1=coin.wav
BTN_COIN2=coin.wav
BTN_COIN3=coin.wav
BTN_COIN4=coin.wav
MSG_PRESONG=recpop.wav