Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: AVGA Question  (Read 1888 times)

Boz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2021, 09:24:11 am
    • Battle Chasers Upright Cabinet
AVGA Question
« on: August 20, 2006, 02:51:59 pm »
This may be a really stupid question. My brand new AVGA card (v1) doesn't drive my PC monitor when I install it. I purchased a Billabs 27" but am using the PC monitor to build the system.

Ultimarc's website shows a new AVGA card (v2) and states "YES NOW ALSO FOR PC MONITORS!
FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, RUN CLASSIC GAMES IN THEIR NATIVE RESOLUTIONS ON A PC SVGA MONITOR IN WINDOWS! INCLUDES CRT AND LCD (DVI) DIGITAL MONITORS."

Do I have to attach my arcade monitor to have this card (the 1st generation) display video?

If it *should* display on my PC monitor, obviously the problem is another piece of hardware or a bios setting which I will mess with. I just wanna be sure I'm not missing something here.

Sorry for the dumbass question.

Boz

• Offline Offline
Re: AVGA Question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 07:23:24 pm »
Got the base system built using a standard PCI video card. Moved it to my cabinet and booted it with the Billabs hooked up. No problems.

Swapped out the PCI for the AGP ArcadeVGA and it booted fine. I didn't see any documentation that says the AVGA card won't drive a PC monitor so I just made the assumption that it did.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:26:48 am
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 07:02:36 am »
i thought the whole point of an arcade vga card was to display graphics at 15khz for older standard res monitors and if you had a multisync later type then any vga card would do?

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 11:05:24 am »
i thought the whole point of an arcade vga card was to display graphics at 15khz for older standard res monitors and if you had a multisync later type then any vga card would do?

Unless what you desire is to run all games at their native resolution and refresh. I don't know enough about hardware to be able to say that a standard VGA card can put out a 15hz signal. Even with the multi-res monitor, I still want to display games at their native settings.

Just my novice $0.02

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:31:51 am »
The version 1 ArcadeVGA card does not drive a PC monitor. It only drives 15Khz and multi-frequency monitors.
Andy

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:50:00 am »
The version 1 ArcadeVGA card does not drive a PC monitor. It only drives 15Khz and multi-frequency monitors.
Andy

Thanks Andy. Through trial and error I fingered this out.  :)