Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Uh oh monitor shelf might be too big?!?! Help!  (Read 2765 times)

rdowdy95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 11:48:50 am
  • This is my rifle.
Uh oh monitor shelf might be too big?!?! Help!
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:04:22 pm »
Hey guys I just cut the cabniet top and the cabniet bottom base piece out.  They are just short of 26 inches.  Like 1/16" short.  I did put the top piece over the TV with some boards on the side and it looks if it is going to fit.  A nice tight fit.  Here is my prob though.  I laid the monitor shelf I already cut on the base of the cabniet.  The base is short of 26" by a 1/16.  It is the same width of the top of the arcade cabniet top piece.  It will fit the TV, but the monitor shelf is just a tad too wide.  Like the monitor shelf is 2/16" or 1/8" short. So should I get the flush trim router bit and make these flush?  Or should I just wait and put the whole thing together.

Thing is if I put it together, I was going to use the base with the monitor shelf on bottom to make it flush with the router.  What do you guys think?  Since it is wider I am afraid when the sides go up it won't be level.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
Re: Uh oh monitor shelf might be too big?!?! Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 08:21:56 pm »
might as well make then even now.  Have you already cut the back pieces?  because they'll need to be slightly smaller too.  I don't think 1/16'' is going to make much of a difference if you wait till later though, worst thing that'll happen is you'll just spend a couple extra minutes sanding down the sides of the pieces that are too big. 

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 10:24:14 pm »
I cut the speaker panel and the cabniet back angled section and they are the exact same width as the base.  So those are good to go.  I put them up against the top cabniet piece and the base and they measure just about 1/16" away from the  26".  So i need to cut both cabniet back sections tommorow and the front coin door section as well.  So that is three more of those 26" pieces that need to be like the other three I have.  I can easily clamp the monitor shelf and the base together, and get it flush with the router.  I just hope I cut the other three pieces good.  It will actually be just two more cuts to make sure I get the width since the coin door and one of the back pieces are right by each other.

I will keep you posted.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:26:35 pm »
Hey guys I just cut the cabniet top and the cabniet bottom base piece out.  They are just short of 26 inches.  Like 1/16" short.  I did put the top piece over the TV with some boards on the side and it looks if it is going to fit.  A nice tight fit.  Here is my prob though.  I laid the monitor shelf I already cut on the base of the cabniet.  The base is short of 26" by a 1/16.  It is the same width of the top of the arcade cabniet top piece.  It will fit the TV, but the monitor shelf is just a tad too wide.  Like the monitor shelf is 2/16" or 1/8" more in width. So should I get the flush trim router bit and make these flush?  Or should I just wait and put the whole thing together.

Thing is if I put it together, I was going to use the base with the monitor shelf on bottom to make it flush with the router.  What do you guys think?  Since it is wider I am afraid when the sides go up it won't be level.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 10:29:53 pm »
Opps I modify my original post to say the monitor shelf is about an 1/8 longer in width than the base not shorter.  What I will do I will cut the remainder of the pieces out tommorow, then put them all together and see what it looks like.  Then I will start the staining process of all the pieces!  YEAH,  also need to get Ponyboy a list of all the stuff I am needing to make a big order from him. 

I post more tommorow.

WillBurne

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2008, 05:51:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 10:31:34 pm »
Using a straight edge, (4 foot level,etc.) clamp and take a blade off with a circular saw. A blade means the kerf width of the saws blade (1/16) if its 1/8 off take an 1/8 off instead, make a mark, lift your circular saws safety guard up (do thos with saw unplugged) line your mark so that your blade is on the outside edge is next to your mark (to the left of your mark) then make a mark on the right side of your saws base. This will be your straight edges mark,clamp,then rip away. You need to do this 1/8 even 1/16 too big is a big deal in cabinetry. Need more help or maybe some pics? Let me know.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 11:00:54 pm »
I dont quite understand what you are saying.  I know what you mean by taking a blade off of it, but I don't get how.  I do have a saw board but for me I think it would be easier just using the flush trim router bit. okokok Wait I get it now.  I will try it tommorow.  I will put the straight edge where it needs to be.  Actually I will lay the correct width size on the wider monitor shelf.  Then trace the line to see the remaing I need to cut.  Then I will put the sawboard or a straight edge down on that line and cut the remainder off.  I will also mark the outside edge of the actual saw blade.  I will get ir done tommorow.  And see how it turns out.  I want to do the other three pieces to saw first though to get them where I need to get them.  Thanks,.

WillBurne

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2008, 05:51:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 11:35:43 pm »
Took a few pics for you. Might help.

One mark at 25 7/8

Line up the blade to the left side of mark. Then make a mark where I drew the arrow.

Now measure to the last mark made. In the case of my saw it was 24 5/16"

Transfer that measurement to the top.Mark.

Line the straight edge to your 2 marks.

Now trim away. Keep you left hand holding motor to carry its weight as you cut, so you cut won't suffer from the weight of the motor, using you right hand to squeeze trigger and guide saw down straight edge.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 11:53:24 pm by WillBurne »

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 11:36:06 pm »
Since you already have a router with a flush trim bit, might as well use that.  It's the easier way to do it.  You already messed up with the circular saw once by cutting the other pieces too short, why tempt fate a second time  ;D

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 07:09:42 pm »
WillBurne beautiful pics.  I did do that exact same thing when I did my 45 degree angle cut today on the angled back piece for both sides.  But I think I am going to go with the router to flush the pieces.  I am getting them all flush to the same size.

Okay I just went out and flushed it with all the other stuff.  So right now the monitor shelf, speaker shelf, top part of cabniet, rear angled shelf.  All of these are flush with the width of the base.  So I am good to go so far.  tonight I need to cut the two other back pieces and the front coin door shelf thing.  Say a prayer and hope I get these cut like I like them.  I am going to go very slow on this matter tonight and lay the sawBOARD down and make sure I get it to be exact.

Thanks guys.