Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Volume control  (Read 2849 times)

slug54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2014, 09:00:21 pm
  • Man, I hope this cab fits through the door way!
    • Arcade Extreme
Volume control
« on: March 15, 2003, 01:49:50 pm »
I upgraded the audio in my cab from using hacked computer speakers to using car speakers and an old radio $hack
audio amp. there is no conveniant place to mount this amp
plus I dont want all the other controls and knobs showing, Just the volume control.
my question is where can I get a volume control that I can
put between the amp and speakers? You would think Radio $hack would sell something like this but the apparently don't.
My other question is the volume control on the amp is mounted direcly on the PCB , can I un-solder this and make wire extentions to allow for mounting the control on the front of my cab? or will this cause a lot of noise in the audio circuit and really mess things up?
I would think someone sells a volume control for people who have speakers on their decks or patios.

note : I believe the audio amp to be around 25-40 watts

Thanks slug54

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
Re:Volume control
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 02:24:31 pm »
Volume controls that go between the amp and speakers are called "L-pads".  RadioShack does carry some, I've seen them in my local store, however I can't find them in their online catalog.

Go to www.partsexpress.com and search for L-pad, or try this link http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=275.  I've ordered from Parts Express many times, great company!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2003, 02:31:55 pm by OSCAR »

slug54

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2014, 09:00:21 pm
  • Man, I hope this cab fits through the door way!
    • Arcade Extreme
Re:Volume control
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 09:06:12 am »
Thanks Oscar.
That is exactly what I was looking for.
I went back to Radio Shack and found one.
it's a good thng the wife was gone for a while,
Jig Sawing MDF in the family room was definitly not part of the deal when she agreed to let me bring my cab in the house.
I got it installed and it works great, I did have to add a
command to my mame batch file to  lower the volume for mame, If I set the volume on the amp up so that the MP3 juke box gets real loud when you turn the L-pad up some of the louder mame games would be  annoyingly loud on the lowest l-pad volume setting. adding a -volume -15 switch to the batch file fixed that.

Slug54