Arcade Collecting > Restorations & repair

Time Pilot Restoration

(1/4) > >>

This should be an easy one...  I've already built my own cocktail machine, then given it away, then built another (better) one (learn as we go, right?)...  piece of cake, right???


Restoring is so much more difficult than building from scratch...

Anyways, I found myself knee deep in this one before i had even snapped a shot, so here's the one from the auction for starters.  I'll try to document the rest of the process from here on out:

---meadow muffin---, just lost a super long post.  this is about to get a bunch more abrupt...


1. marquee only useful when backlit by bioluminescant bugs and plants
2. bulb dead
3. monitor randomly switches from RG to RGB (though more the former than the latter)
4. bottom has some significant damage from being dropped, plywood bent up in front, missing pieces of wood above the kick panel. 
5. did i mention the gigantic gaping crack in the front left near the coin door?
6. top of the cab has skin like edward james almos
7. cpo needs replacement
8. control panel and coin door rustied up all nice
9. joystick (monroe) completely frozen by rust.
10. monitor bezel marped and sunken
11. piece of wood missing that separtes coin area from monitor.
12. side art scratched up quite a bit.
13. front art scratched up more.

lost another post due to an oversized pic that wasn't oversized.  now in notepad.   :angry:

Problem #9 - rusty monroe joystick.

before i had even gotten to the forums to learn what it even was, i had the joystick disassembled and was giving it a good clean.  If you see any pink curtains marred by grease, that was their sacrifice.  At this point I was still a selfish bastard in not documenting or taking pictures.  but i do have an after pic...  At any rate, monroe joysticks are a fairly exhausted topic on these boards, and disecting and relubing with white lithium grease was fairly trivial. 

Very nice joystick though, once clean they have a very smooth circular motion and great snap back... 

Problem #4 - damaged bottom.

taking apart the bottom of the not cabinet was fairly simple due to the fact that the glue holding the cabinet together had long since expired.  in addition, most of the front was (poorly) held together by 3/4 x 3/4 particleboard and nails.  there is one metal bracket, but that attached to...  a small piece of kick that is held to the sides by:  you guessed it...  3/4 x 3/4 particleboard.  Centuri really wasn't building these things to last. 

once all was apart i could see how the ply in the bottom had been bent up from the weight on the feet and nothing substantial holding the kick to the cabinet.  in a genius move, the op decided to fix this problem by bracketing the back of the kick to the sides.  this introduced a bunch of shear, and really didn't address the problem of the bottom bending.  i promptly moved the brackets to the bottom, where they should have been from the start.  To do this i sent some big screws through the leg leveller holes into a 2x4 to pull the ply even with the middle and back.  after that was done i could get the brackets in perfectly.

To finish the bottom i will have to get more brackets and cut some 3/4" pieces of mdf, and paint them black...  so this one is hardly crossed off...  :(


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version