Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TOMATOCADE - Bartop - DONE!  (Read 32833 times)

psychotech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
TOMATOCADE - Bartop - DONE!
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:56:13 pm »
Greetings..

After surfing around the forum for a few months I at last have something to announce. For need of a better name I think it should be called the Tomatocade.. (After the 'legendary' "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" ;)

The Tomatocade is a bartop built around an old Compaq Armada 4130T laptop (a Pentium 100MHz with 80Mb memory, 1 GB HD and a 11,8" TFT screen) and as such won't be able to run too many games. Still, with DOS MAME 0.36 it manages most of the essentials (as I find 'em) like Space Invaders, Defender, Centipede, Pac-Man, Bombjack, Wizard of Wor, Track&Field, Zaxxon, Scramble, Donkey Kong, Section-Z, and so on..

The machine's dimensions are (WxDxH) 35,5cmx35cmX32cm (that's like 13,97"x13.77"x12.59") and the main materials used in this project are 10mm (0.39") MDF and 4mm (0.157") plywood ..along with a truckload of L-brackets of course. The front-end used (because of the laptop's limitations) is GameLauncher, a now discontinued FE that nevertheless works great even on a lowly machine like this project's laptop. And yes, I'm running MAME in Dos 6.22. There's also Win95a installed for the occasional maintenance needs.

The left-over harddisk space on the laptop is naturally used to its full potential ..it's now full of all the 1980's hardrock / heavymetal / etc. songs I could think of :) To annoy people with the stuff I use the DAMP jukebox..

At the moment the project is almost done ..all I have to do is decide what to use in place of t-moulding. Well, anyway..

It IS done.

Check out the site and give your comments on the forums and ..feel free to throw 'em rotten tomatoes on me .. The tomatoes WILL strike back :)

Visit TOMATOCADE @ http://www.telemail.fi/psychotech/index.html

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
Re: BARTOP ..Just call it TOMATOCADE
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 08:30:04 pm »
very very nice. Congrats on the build  :applaud:

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 08:56:05 pm »
thats hot ! how did you do that side ??

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 09:08:51 pm »
Thanks for the compliments guys :)

The sides are finished with self adhesive vinyl I happened to find at a local mall.. I actually did spraypaint the machine plain red ..but as on second thought it looked kinda dull to me I started to search for an alternative. It's called COVER CRYSTAL. Anyway, it works ..and quite nicely even ;)

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 09:10:54 pm »
But ...where is N.A.M.E. ??

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 09:54:57 pm »
ahh that, well....it was built for someone else and sent on its merry way. I am reserving N.A.M.E for a future as of yet undetermined project. Once my Bigtop is completed i am lookin into a jukebox next.

WillBurne

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2008, 05:51:54 pm
Re: Bartop - TOMATOCADE ..new pics on the website
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 02:15:09 pm »
Wow!
Tomatocade looks great  :cheers: I love the look of design and art/theme. Side art sets it off.
Great job!
I've got scrap mdf from present project,and was thinking about a bartop. After seeing this, I am certain. The side panel's profile is sweet.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: Bartop - TOMATOCADE ..new pics on the website
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 04:04:58 pm »
Wow!  Very nice job!  I love the art too - that's probably the only Tomatocade in the world!

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
Re: Bartop - TOMATOCADE ..Website done!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 08:08:40 pm »
Again, thank U very much!

Lucky with the finish, I quess. If you could only see it in person.. Anyway, I'd like to think that it ain't that bad otherwise either, considering its my first ever 'cade.

And I absolutely have to say thank you to all the people here for sharing all your invaluable knowledge/experience/ideas/etc. I know I've learned a lot just by hanging around the forums reading and appreciating..

Hey, the website is about ready also... more pics etc.

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
Re: Tomatocade bartop - more pics etc.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 08:24:28 pm »
OK, couple of pictures.. just in case someone is interested..?

1: laptop's hinges were destroyed and here the pieces are velcroed together with 4 blocks of 18mm wood in between.

2: the speaker panel in place along with the laptop ..that's where the 2 pieces of 2mm lexan (plexiglass..) making the screen/bezel are sandwiched in..

3: a sideview just before installing the marquee and the vinyl coated plywood panels.. also the sides are not finished yet.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 03:29:48 am »
I love the lines.  Good luck finding t-molding.  You may try finding something a little big, then use a flush trim router to make it flush.  How much does it weigh?  Very nice.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 08:21:31 am »

tasty! and your site- tidy! nice work. ive just been trying to install dos mame onto an old laptop myself, but since i dont know what im doing i might be in trouble! but you obviously know what YOURE doing! well done (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 04:02:46 pm »
Hello again..

About the t-molding: I'm almost sure I won't be using it, but instead am contemplating two other options ..

a) using flat corner binding (ABS-plastic) used in finishing guitars..

or

b) using chrome (yes, plastic really) meant for car sides ..the chrome stuff's profile is quite alike the normal t-moulding and there're many widths available on about every car parts / tuning shops and the like.

Tomatocade WEIGHT: 8,3 kilograms = 18,2983678 pounds  (give or take 50 grams / 0.11 pounds)

And hey, theCoder, Partybox is really cool (as is danny_galaga's cocktail, for that matter :o) and as you can quess, I've been eyeing the thread more than once in the past months...

danny_galaga: Don't know if I can be of any help, but what kind of issues are you having with that old laptop with dos etc?

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
Re: Tomatocade bartop - Cost breakown added...
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 05:27:59 pm »
Here's the (almost final) cost breakdown for tomatocade including all the postage and handling fees paid. The only possible addition to this breakdown is the cost of the t-moulding/binding/whatever I've still got to choose.. (Just add something from $5 to $30 to the total depending on which option I'll ultimately go with ..see the above post)

(All the conversions we're done with xe.com - The Universal Currency Converter @ http://www.xe.com/ucc/)

So..

..I must be demented, but the laptop was actually 85Eur / $108 about 6 years ago. Anyway, I think the "now value" is still about the same..?

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 05:14:54 am »

danny_galaga: Don't know if I can be of any help, but what kind of issues are you having with that old laptop with dos etc?

basically my biggest problem with getting anywhere is that the laptop has a working floppy drive and a working cd rom drive which doesnt read cdrw. naturally, to make things hard, the floppy on my pc doesnt work. so when i go and install something on the laptop i get an error message like "the file MIDAS11.dll is missing". well, one) i cant find midas on the net anywhere! two) every little thing i need to add i have to burn another cd for. the last cd had audio32w.zip on it. a whole cd for a whopping 32kb! thats how i settled on mame32 .36v11. i had enough things on various cds by then to run it!  what im going to do is get another floppy somewhere (who uses floppy drives nowadays?) and have another go at putting dos mame on. i have some questions ill pm you about in the meantime.

oh, and the chrome stripping is a great touch (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
Re: Tomatocade bartop - Cost breakown added...
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 06:58:20 am »
Might be, really..  ;)

Like in ..Pimp my Bartop  ;D

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
Re: Tomatocade bartop - Now, this is important :)
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 04:02:42 pm »
Just thought everyone should know that ...

Before the Alien, before the T-Rex. there was the Tomato!

Okay, so the tomato's not usually a vegetable known for having a homicidal disposition, but...
Actually, technically the tomato's a fruit not a vegetable...Whatever. Anyway. The plot. San Diego is menaced by a bunch of blood-crazed...err...killer tomatoes...and the military rushes into activity while the tomato threat begins to spread across the nation. Soon six-foot tomatoes are stalking the country, and they could be heading towards your house!

Almost certainly the best killer fruit movie featuring a song called "Puberty Love" ever made.

"Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes" will stun you in its aptitude and overall cheapness.

--------------------------------------

(The song "Puberty Love" was performed by Matt Cameron, who would later go on to be the drummer for Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.) ...!

--------------------------------------

(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080391/)

art-ki-tech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2007, 03:16:36 pm
  • Design for Life
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 02:42:33 pm »
I give you an A- for creativity and craftsmanship. Good job!!!
"Beautiful buildings are more than scientific...They are true    organisms, spiritually    conceived; works of art using    the best technology..."
- Quote by Frank Lloyd Wright

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 07:10:22 pm »
whats even worse about floppy drives is they cost around 20 dollars.  thats crazy since anyone who ever bought a pc can just remove it from an older comp and install in the newer.  but being able to only hold 1.5 mbs is a turning off point since all the really cool illegal downloads take more then that.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
Re: Tomatocade bartop - What should I do?
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 07:59:39 pm »
Thank's very much art-ki-tech ..If the comment was meant to be here ...as SithMaster's post seemingly wasn't :) Anyway, as I've seen your (business) site, I'll take the minus gladly !! Anxious to see the "Mili-cade" coming together.

As to the header...

What do YOU think.. Should I just left the Tomatocade as it is or should I finish it with the chrome moulding/striping/whatever I was contemplating?

About 50% of the people that have seen / played the machine have told me not to do anything to it (one even reminded me of how beaten up most of the machines used to be back in then, and that it would be much more authentic to leave it as it is...) when asked ..and the other half have had no opinion either way, maybe they didn't even notice there was (or might have been) something missing in the first place ;)

Opinions..? Anyone?

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 07:20:22 pm »
sorry for being inconsiderate.

but i think that the chrome would look nice and maybe you should go for it.  my only concern would be if it didnt fit with the rest of the cab.  not physically but color scheme.  maybe just tape some on to see how it would look then choose?  id go for it though.  but im silly so......
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 08:45:16 pm »
Nice looking cabinet - I've been thinking of building on of these for work...

anyhow - about the t-molding... I think it currently looks find as is, but I wonder how it'll handle some dents/dings? That t-molding stuff does a good job of absorbing some hits. Without having a t-molding slot, I wonder how well an adhesive solution would hold...

Either way, it looks good.

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
Re: Tomatocade bartop
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2006, 03:21:59 pm »
Well ..yeah, I agree, with you both ;) Even as it looks quite nice as it is, I'm almost sure I'll finish it with the chrome moulding -sooner or later.

About the color scheme: As the main colors are black on the inside surfaces and quite a bright red with (more or less) a silver hologram decoration on the outside, I'd think that the chrome will suite it just fine :) ..

And yes, the only thing that has kept me from already buying and applying the chrome is just the question of how well it would hold..

Well, I'll let it be as it is for now and think about it in a few weeks... Now I REALLY have to start designing my next one...................

---------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the comments & advice.. If (spell when) I'll do another ???cade, I'm sure to announce it earlier :)

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 05:26:43 pm »
...Well,

A few weeks later and after a few (almost) approving comments on the machine without the t-moulding etc. I've decided to leave it as it is now. So, there'll be no t-molding on the Tomatocade of any kind in the near future. Maybe it's just time to move on to different 'cades? Anyway.............

The Tomatocade is DONE!

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 12:40:29 am »
So......now what's next?

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 06:29:33 pm »
Well...

That.. Is.. A.. Good.. Question! Actually just the one that I'd like to be able to answer !

Anyway, it won't be a dedicated driving cab, of that at least I'm already sure ... ;) (Good luck with the Xcelerator, seems to be advancing quite nicely. Gonna be an experience when finished, I'm sure.)

Back 2 the question.. Main options at the moment are:

a) A (necessarily) bigger two player bartop/countertop. A tabletop hybrid between Tempest/Millipede/Bad Dudes Vs. Dragon Ninja. Go figure?

b) A Centipede "inspired" two player full size cabinet ..without a trackball! With two 8-ways and one dedicated 4-way. And.. Defender!! So, a couple more buttons per player than on Tomatocade..

c) No way I'm making another...

d) How about a Jukebox. A dedicated jukebox.. I already have the speakers, the amplifier and a spare computer...

Can't decide :(

Still, something's gotta be done ..

MaMeNnO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2021, 10:06:42 am
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 02:11:36 am »
Quick question, how did you do the wiring of the KeyWiz Eco2? I'm in the middle of that myself. Maybe a picture... or two???  ;D
Thanks in advance!

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 12:16:09 pm »
I love the killer tomatoes artwork. ;D Thanks for giving me grin on a day when I really needed one!

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

slider2732

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2010, 06:56:26 pm
    • MND Coin-Op
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 05:03:03 pm »
Lovely looking thing...and not at all silly looking.
The chrome idea is a good one, my main problem is the adhesive on such things though.

Btw, reminds me of a Taito, not Tomato  :applaud:

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2006, 07:28:25 pm »
Hey there..

MaMeNnO: As you have the same "no-solder" version of KeyWiz, I'm not really sure what you mean about how I did the wiring... Anyway, I hope the following txt and the pix are of use..?!

1) I used an ancient (flat) 40-pin IDE cable - as in the attached pictures.
(See also http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/storage/ideinternal.html, might be of more use than my gibberish here...). I cut the joystick/push-button side's connector off and then separated the wires..

2) Having decided which wires I'd be using for my controls, I then cut the unused wires really short at the KeyWiz-end of the cable and sealed(/taped) them to avoid any possibility of a short circuit (Black tape on the pix)... I never disassembled the connector interfacing the KeyWiz as there's no need for that anyway ..

3) Finally, I made the ground connections and then just plain connected  the needed  IDE wires to the NO terminals of the switches.. As all of the switches were within 6 inches from the encoder I was able to just solder the IDE wires straight to the NO's.

Actually, there should  be nothing to it as long as you know the pin assignment of an IDE cable... See above link ;

And on that notion: A free tip to all .. http://www.hardwarebook.net/ - An oldie but a goldie..

Anyway, MaMeNnO, Good luck with the cab, Great profile!

Stingray: Thanks, Aren't tomatoes ...well, mostly ketchup nowadays* ;) But, as I've always thought that arcades were meant to be fun ..your "grin" is much appreciated ;D

*Do not forget that Return of the Killer Tomatoes! (1988) also introduced one George Clooney.. Even so, the tomatoes still rule !:)

slider2732: Thanks. Still (Can you imagine!!!), someone (somewhere) just might call, not necessarily the machines, but the people making these arcades, silly.. I really dont have that option anymore  ::) Anyway, could you elaborate with that Taito reference? Links to Taito cabs would be much appreciated (for future inspiration)..!

PS. To theCoder's question above: Another option still ... I absolutely forgot the Jakks 5-in-1 joystick I bought about two years ago. So, make that option e) A Jakks/Namco bartop :)

How can you decide?!?!?!?!

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
Some people ...
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2006, 09:05:57 pm »
:laugh2:

---------------------
Found this site (see the pic) following links from the BYOAC boards - lol - What can U say ;)
---------------------

Dear Mr. DeutschMeister: You are absolutely right: That is what a bartop looks like.

About the name though; Look at the graphics.. Rent (or download) the movie.. Have a few beers.. Laugh a little.. Try not to take it all so seriously.. Maybe chance your name from DeutschMeister to something like Andy?

Come on, the world really is just a tomato.

All the best from yours truly ..and Fuzzy Tomato.

PS. FT wants to say that when you do and copy the design, feel free to call your creation anything BUT the Tomatocade.

:laugh2:

MaMeNnO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2006, 08:15:13 am »
Hey there..

MaMeNnO: As you have the same "no-solder" version of KeyWiz, I'm not really sure what you mean about how I did the wiring... Anyway, I hope the following txt and the pix are of use..?!
[...]
Thanks for your "gibberish"  :applaud: and the photo's!

slider2732

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2010, 06:56:26 pm
    • MND Coin-Op
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2006, 12:20:02 pm »
Yep, no prob on the Taito reference...they seemed to have a cab design that swept inward toward the middle for a lot of games.

Searching the machines by manufacturer on klov.com should sort ya out :)

Here's some examples of that cab 'look'

« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 12:27:20 pm by slider2732 »

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2006, 09:35:28 pm »
Hello there.. And thanks for the pix :D

MaMeNnO: ..good luck with the build ,)

slider2732: As far as I can remember (Dementia?), we never actually had any of those Taito cabs here in Finland (in the eighties'). Well, anyway.. I must have seen some of them on www.klov.com ..I quess?  The Tomatocade profile is of course an all original (yeah, well; almost) design and so "All lines, cuts and names are fictitious - No identification with actual cabs, in use or not, is intended." - Or something...

Build ..

spriggy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2006, 12:50:30 pm »
Well Done psycho..

As for another 'Taito' cab reference..  I built a corny themed 'Taito' bartop ('Jungle Mame'  ::) ) a while ago..  Nice cabinets with a simple eye pleasing line.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 12:52:21 pm by spriggy »
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

MaMeNnO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2006, 03:26:40 pm »
Nice looking cab spriggy! Looks very clean. When I finish my upright, maybe... just maybe... but, first obstacle, my girlfriend! How will I convince her???

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2006, 04:38:19 pm »
Nice looking cab spriggy! Looks very clean. When I finish my upright, maybe... just maybe... but, first obstacle, my girlfriend! How will I convince her???

Got lazy.. should have finished the bezel and side art...  oops... hijacking the thread...  enuff of my crap!!
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2006, 07:20:28 pm »
Been away for a while, but...

Thank you spriggy. If I'm not actually demented, I did see your build (Can't remember if I posted any comments on it, though) while I was first trying to find info & inspiration for a Centipede-like upright..

Well, haven't build the upright, so far ..but I'm sure the lines in the Tomatocade have to owe at least something to the Jungle Mame design ..as I can't recall seeing any Taito cabs (as pictured above) here "then" or even later..

Anyway. I REALLY like the lines [Jungle Mame]. How did you do the sides?!! ...(surfing..2 jungle mame..)

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2006, 12:15:31 am »

Anyway. I REALLY like the lines [Jungle Mame]. How did you do the sides?!! ...(surfing..2 jungle mame..)

If "how" means, how did I design the sides......
I built the whole thing around the 15" decased monitor via a cardboard mock-up.  I already had the orginal Taito cabinet dimensions when 'Wade' and myself compiled the sideart (currently up at the AAL).

I then just scaled down the original cabinet dimensions to suit the 15" montior ratio and drew it up on some cardboard (obviously cutting the cabinet just below the control panel.. in Bartop style)  I then made adjustments on the cardboard where clearances were enough.  EG.. I had to extend the depth of the cab slightly for safe clearance of the monitor neck.

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2006, 10:47:28 am »
If "how" means, how did I design the sides......

;D  ..well, yeah ..that way you can honestly call it a Taito cab whereas mine just looks a lot like .. Anyway, I was actually referring to the finish of the sides. Is that reflective/shiny/etc. good looking green surface laminate or paint or..? If paint, how did you apply it ..spray, (foam)roller ??