Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Robotron MINI 3/22 update  (Read 4206 times)

Bill_S

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2018, 08:23:57 am
  • aka buzzdalf
Robotron MINI 3/22 update
« on: March 13, 2003, 06:17:23 pm »
I've been thinking about building a mini (or cabaret) cabinet for my next MAME project.  In a previous thread OSCAR suggested I look at the design of the robotron mini.  I agree that is a pretty good looking cab, so I'm planning to use that as my baseline.

I started drawing the robotron mini cab up in CAD based on the photos I've found on the net.

Here's a link to a web page where I stuck a link to my drawing so far.
http://web.thewavz.com/buzz/Mini.htm

If anyone wants to go check it out and let me know if I'm close to the real thing or not, that would help me out.

From what I've been able to find out, most mini cabs were about 5' tall.  The drawing I've got going is 4' tall so far, so I know that's not truly correct.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2003, 02:54:22 pm by Bill_S »

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
Re:Started drawing Robotron MINI
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 02:52:56 am »
If this design incorporates a 13" monitor, then please keep this thread updated.. I'd like to see what you come up with as I'll be getting a 13" monitor soon and am still undecided as to what to use it for (cabaret or mini cocktail).

Sorry, though, don't really have any input to offer (esp. since I don't have AutoCAD and can't get a viewer since I'm at work).
k-spiff

Bill_S

• Offline Offline
  • aka buzzdalf
3/15 update to Robotron MINI
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 08:07:07 am »
OK, I've updated the link on my web page to the CAD file.  I've got both sides in there and the back and bottom.  The thing is layed out on a 4x8 sheet to see if I can get this thing out of 1 sheet of MDF.
I also converted it to 3D in the hopes I can assemble the model when I get done.
Also, I've posted a jpg image of the sides for review in case you don't have any CAD software.
Image pasted here as well:

Once again, let me know what you think.  I'd like to get a feel for this before I start cutting (still a ways from that, though).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2003, 08:08:36 am by Bill_S »

Bill_S

• Offline Offline
  • aka buzzdalf
Re:Robotron MINI 3/22 update
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2003, 02:53:57 pm »
I decided the 4 foot tall cabinet was not working.  So I re-did this thing and made it 5' tall.  It is now 18" wide, 24" deep and 60" tall.

I'm going to stick a 14" monitor in it (mounted vertically).

Check out the website given above for a link to the drawing file so far.

I'm starting to layout the control panel.  It looks like I'm going with a super joystick (using Oscar's restrictors) and a spinner from Oscar (for tempest).  Planning a 2 button configuration.

The model is progressing along, here's a picture:

Let me know what you think.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 04:47:16 pm »
I decided the 4 foot tall cabinet was not working.  So I re-did this thing and made it 5' tall.  It is now 18" wide, 24" deep and 60" tall.

I'm going to stick a 14" monitor in it (mounted vertically).

18x24x60 is going to be a pretty narrow column.  You are also going to have a CRT toward the top of that column.  Have you given any thought to stability and weight distrubution?

You might find that you need to drop an anvil in the bottom of the cab to keep it from tipping over when someone bumps it  :-\

Just something to think about.

RandyT

Bill_S

• Offline Offline
  • aka buzzdalf
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2003, 05:52:06 pm »
I wondered a little about that, but from everything I've been able to find out, the pac-man mini was  20w x 24d x 58h.  I'm going to end up pretty close to that.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 10:36:55 pm »
I think it looks great.  I imagine you would likely be mounting the monitor similar to the original Robotron mini, so it would probably be located approximately @  2/3 of the height of the cab since it lays back so far it's nearly horizontal.

The footprint of my WIP (www.oscarcontrols.com/unnamed) is 24 x 20, and even though I'm making a 2-piece with a much larger top unit, there is no chance of this thing tipping over and I haven't added any extra weight to the base.  I guess what I'm saying is yours will probably be just fine as it is.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2003, 02:15:15 am »
Doh!  :P

I somehow missed that the monitor was so low in the cabinet.  I guess I had the full-up cab in mind.  I agree that it will most likely be ok if the CRT is mounted like the original.

Even though your numbers are close to the original, by adding 2" to the height and reducing the shortest dimension (width) by 2", you are diminishing the stability of the original design by roughly 10%.  

Might still be a good idea to make sure you have some leveling feet on the bottom and avoid heavily cusioned carpet just in case.  

I've been known to give even a full-size cab a good shaking during a round of Robotron :).

RandyT