Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What do you use to cover the outside of your Particle Board cab?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Cab covering poll  (Read 4727 times)

JayTea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2009, 03:32:25 pm
  • Whatchu talkin 'bout, Willis?
    • Licoricepizza.com
Cab covering poll
« on: March 13, 2003, 05:41:19 pm »
Just trying to determine the most popular choice of BYOAC members.  If it is other, please list it here!
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:Cab covering poll
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 06:02:31 pm »
WHERE IS LAMINATE !  :P

Lot of us use that if you aske me. ;D

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 07:38:41 pm »
I prefer white tiger pelts myself.
I use laminate in a pinch though.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 12:08:18 am »
Just a small note.   Paint looks great on an MDF cab but not so hot on particle board.  Did you want to restrict yourself to particle board since MDF does not cost much more?

BobA

JayTea

• Offline Offline
    • Licoricepizza.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 01:37:55 am »
doh!  I knew I was leaving something out... I changed  "Other" to laminate :)
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena

JayTea

• Offline Offline
    • Licoricepizza.com
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 01:45:36 am »
Has anyone used wood paneling or veneer?  If so, do you like it?
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 02:25:23 pm »
If it was particle board I'd do laminate, if its MDF I'd do paint. Some people use those terms interchangeably but its 2 different kinds of board and particle board doesn't take kindly to paint.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 02:28:21 pm »
Where can I get laminate for cheap? I painted mine but I'm not happy with the results.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 02:48:32 pm »
Where can I get laminate for cheap? I painted mine but I'm not happy with the results.
Laminates not cheap. Snaaacks reported some deals on it from laminate places. You can find much better prices on it from a laminate supplier than from going to Home depot type places.

Its harder to apply after the cabinet is assembled.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 02:49:26 pm by eightbit »
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 03:45:15 pm »
Well I've got an old beat up cabinet that used to be a Bad Dudes machine, spent a second life as Batman, and ended up in my frat house. Laminate would be nice to cover up its weathered edges.

I know it's not cheap. That's why I'm looking for help.  ;)

However as for applying before assembly... Too late... Someone else took care of that years ago.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 03:50:15 pm »
Well I've got an old beat up cabinet that used to be a Bad Dudes machine, spent a second life as Batman, and ended up in my frat house. Laminate would be nice to cover up its weathered edges.

I know it's not cheap. That's why I'm looking for help.  ;)

However as for applying before assembly... Too late... Someone else took care of that years ago.

haha..how expensize is $28 for 2  4x8 sheets(Thats the deal I get).. :P

Laminate is good if you are building brand new cabinet..if I am converting some old crap then I would just paint the thing.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2003, 04:40:29 pm »
HEY! Are you calling my cabinet crap?!?! :P j/k

Well I don't want it to look like some old machine. That's the point... That's why I want the laminate. I got sideart that I wouldn't even want to apply cuz it would be a waste on such ugly painted sides.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2003, 12:01:04 pm »
HEY! Are you calling my cabinet crap?!?! :P j/k

Well I don't want it to look like some old machine. That's the point... That's why I want the laminate. I got sideart that I wouldn't even want to apply cuz it would be a waste on such ugly painted sides.

Any chance of you being able to use filler to smooth it out then sand it down and slap a couple of coats of paint on it.

You can apply laminate after assembly but it can be tricky. Laminating both sides shouldn't be that hard though. Snaaack gets his laminate directly from a laminate supplier. Grab your yellow pages and call around maybe can find a local supplier. Another option is the old contact paper or wall paper trick.

JayTea

• Offline Offline
    • Licoricepizza.com
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2003, 04:11:17 pm »
     My first attempt at covering my cab was done with con-tac paper.  Too many seams, and the adhesion is less than stellar.  I have decided that it just doesn't do the cab justice, but it's too late to do laminate (the T-molding slot is already cut for 5/8).
      I am going to order some vinyl wall coverings in a space theme, thus reducing the number of seams from 3 to 1, and by using a space theme, you won't see the seams unless someone gets out their microscope.  

Anyone have any luck using wall coverings?
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2003, 08:05:13 pm »
Vinyl-Vinyl-Vinyl, please on sale at Happs!

JayTea

• Offline Offline
    • Licoricepizza.com
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2003, 11:59:58 am »
http://www.happcontrols.com/vending/acesor/49057200.htm

Is this vinyl self adhesive???  If not, what kind of adhesive would be best....I am thinking rubber cement, but maybe I'm wrong?  Thanks in advance.
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2003, 12:16:34 pm »
http://www.happcontrols.com/vending/acesor/49057200.htm

Is this vinyl self adhesive???  If not, what kind of adhesive would be best....I am thinking rubber cement, but maybe I'm wrong?  Thanks in advance.

Yup...  I'd recommend contact cement (although i've never glued vinyl before ymmv) if you bought regular vinyl that was NOT self adhesive...  there's a thread where 8bit took regular vinyl and applied it that might have more details... if i find it, i'll post a link here...

rampy

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2003, 03:46:26 pm »
Yup...  I'd recommend contact cement (although i've never glued vinyl before ymmv) if you bought regular vinyl that was NOT self adhesive...  there's a thread where 8bit took regular vinyl and applied it that might have more details... if i find it, i'll post a link here...
I've used vinyl from the local fabric shop. Yes I shopped at a fabric store. Its really not as bad as it sounds. I used contact cement to hold it on and its holding up nicely. I only apply it to my control panels though, not the whole cab.

JayTea

• Offline Offline
    • Licoricepizza.com
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2003, 05:25:38 pm »
I'm now leaning more towards the vinyl solution... I tried the Contac paper - it sucks.   I also don't know how durable wallpaper would be on the side of my cab (I have big angry friends who hit things when they lose, not to mention the beer splatter).

Now I'm just wondering how much contact cement I'm gonna have to buy...
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2003, 06:51:58 pm »

Now I'm just wondering how much contact cement I'm gonna have to buy...

Did you try homedepot?

Its like $8 for a gallon(I cant remember :-\).

any hardware carrys contact cement.

Is there any reason why you dont wanna use laminate though?

I say go for the big fish.
Sooner or later you will be like "man ! I should bought some laminate instead of vinyl". :(

Ted_Striker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 01:28:42 pm
  • Insert Witty Comment Here!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2003, 12:52:03 am »
I would go for paint.  Reason being that if it is in a frat house and it will take abuse... why put money in it just for a bunch of drunks to tear it up.  Sand and paint it now.  let it take the abuse.  Then when you graduate and move out... use laminate when the cabinet will be a valued rec room furniture.  there is a reason operators just slap paint on it.  They know what the cabinet is in for.  

Hell, put in coin mechs.  Then use the quarters you get to buy laminate:).  Or if your nice, use the cash for kegs for the next party :).

JayTea

• Offline Offline
    • Licoricepizza.com
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2003, 01:50:42 am »
Uhh, I have big friends who like to hit things, but I'm not in a frat house.  I used to play football in college, and many of my friends who were big in college are now superfats and alcoholics... thus the need for something durable to cover the cab.  It is painted black right now (I did this before I put on the black w/white speckle contac paper to help cover seams) and it looks okay for now.

I keep flipping on what I want to do ...I've seen vinyl in the arcades and it looks good, but I know the laminate would look just as sharp, probably better (price=ouch).

I guess I'll have to give up golfing for a few weeks in order to smooth it by the pregnant wife (NOTE: not just a wife, PREGNANT wife.  It's like I'm cool hand Luke and she' the Warden.... :D
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2003, 04:08:30 am »
I'm going to have to say nothing as I didn't use particle board:)

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2003, 08:10:07 am »
The vinyl from Happs is self adhesive.  Easy to work with.  Here is some info I received on installing it.  Good Luck.

Here are some application pointers.
 :)The vinyl has a self adhesive backing to it. You just peel off the backing and apply it.
 ;)To apply it, you will first need to remove the t-molding from your cabinet. Removing the t-molding will allow you to trim the excess vinyl off using a razor blade. Make sure the cabinet is stripped of all it's original vinyl.
 :DThe new vinyl will probably not want to stick to old vinyl. Once all the old vinyl is removed, you will also have to remove any glue that was left behind. Sanding it usually works. It is a painstaking process, but if the wood is not totally smooth, the vinyl may not stick properly.
 :-*Now, for applying it... you will definitely need two people to apply the vinyl on the sides of the cabinet. (the pieces are just too large for a single person to handle). To apply it, you will have to lay the cabinet down on it's side. Do not try to line up the edge of the vinyl with the edge of the cabinet to save yourself from having to trim a side. Just let the vinyl cover over all sides of the cabinet and trim the excess off.
 ;DAlso, do not try to apply the entire piece at once. Just start at one end of the cabinet and work your way across to the other end. I usually have someone holding the one end of the vinyl up while I work at the other end. I just peal back about a foot of the backing and apply it to the one end of the game, letting about 2 or 3 inches hang over. I rub it down with a soft cloth or plastic straight edge, making sure to get any air out from underneath.
 :oOnce that section is down, I have the person holding the other end lower it down a little and then I peal back a little more of the backing and rub that section down. I just keep doing this until I get to the other end of the cabinet.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2003, 10:57:11 am »
(NOTE: not just a wife, PREGNANT wife.  It's like I'm cool hand Luke and she' the Warden.... :D

"... what we have here... is a failure to communicate..."

Just don't try to eat 50 eggs in order to get permission nor cut off the tops of parking meters with a pipe cutter.

rampy

JayTea

• Offline Offline
    • Licoricepizza.com
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2003, 03:37:57 pm »
Nah, no egg eating, but there will definitely be a foot rub and something I have to build in the nursery before I can butter her up enough... :)
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena