Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I want to try Galaga fast-fire hack  (Read 11025 times)

AE35

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2022, 01:48:24 pm
  • That sure is a nice raygun!
I want to try Galaga fast-fire hack
« on: August 02, 2006, 06:54:54 am »

Hey all.

I'm a huge Galaga fan, but I've never tried the fast-fire hack :cry:

What should I do to be able to try it? Where can I get the ROM and what
MAME version should I use?!?

Any help would be cool!!! :hissy:

Nicholas

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: I want to try Galaga fast-fire hack
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 07:08:59 am »
That is the most played game on my Mame Table

Galaga (Fast Shoot)

The rom name is : galagads

It is supported up to mame  .79

(Don't ask me where to get it as that is a no no on this forum)

To get the same effect you can also install mame cheats, but the downside of that is you have to turn on the cheat manually after loading it

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 10:01:18 am »
Wait a minute here. You are telling me that they don't support the fast shoot past .79? If that is true, it is a terrible thing. I am about to build my cab, and I was about to be upgrading to a newer version of mame. This, though, makes me second guess an upgrade.

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 11:15:51 am »
If you use AtomicFE  (i suppose you can do that with other FE too) ,

you can in a config file make an exception for a game , and say :

Ok for that game , i want use that mame.

So in the same gamelist you can have all your games running with 0.107  , and your galaga hack using 0.79 or what ever.

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 11:56:38 am »
You da man Youki.

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

lokki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2017, 12:57:48 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 04:34:32 pm »
from whatsnew

# 0.79u1: Removed 'init.wav' sample. Added clones Galaga (Namco rev. B) and (Midway set 2). Galaga uses now better dumps of the PROMs, with the unused top 4 bits set to 0 [Nicola Salmoria]. Removed also these galaga clones: nebulbee (copyright/name change), galagab2 (mix 'n match of ROMs from other sets), galaga84 (copyright/gfx change) and galagads (1-byte hack to get fast shoot, reproducible with this line in cheat.dat: galaga:1:070D:0D:100:Fast Shoot). Correct the clock speed of the 3x Z80 CPUs to 3072000 Hz and added Namco 54XX (1536000 Hz) sound.

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 07:09:38 pm »
I'm using version .79 for that reason. I got a xml file from version .89 and manually edited it (using a free xml editor- easy) to include galagads rom.

Swindus has since pointed out that I could have got around this easily with a batch file to point to mame79 just for that game...  'Doh.....  Silly me

Oh well, anyway a good thing about using an early version like .79 is it loads very fast and plays all the vertical classics I want

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 08:22:37 pm »
 :laugh2: :laugh2:

You guys kill me.  Your telling me you've been holding off updating all this time for that! 

Here's the deal.  Around .79 games that had hacks built into their drivers or used custom "home brew" roms were removed.  This is evident in pacman.  Prior to .79 you could hold down button 1 to go faster.  This was deemed inaccurate and replaced by a rom that emulates the speed up chip you can buy for pacman (which essentially does the same thing). 

Anyway... officially it was found that galaga never had a auto-fire rom, it was a simple hardware hack, so it was removed.  BUT if you guys would have actually looked in the cheat menu (assuming you've downloaded a cheat.dat) there is a cheat option called "fast fire"  guess what that does.  ;)

Stuff like that is never removed from mame, it's just re-classified from time to time.  If a option based on a hardware hack is taken out of mame, you can sure bet that the cheat people will put it back in within a version. 

-edit-

missed lokki's response sorry.

It's still funny though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 08:35:28 pm by Howard_Casto »

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 08:28:08 pm »
BUT if you guys would have actually looked in the cheat menu (assuming you've downloaded a cheat.dat) there is a cheat option called "fast fire"  guess what that does.  ;)

Come on Howard  8)

I did mention that in my 1st post of this thread.   ;)

brophog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2019, 03:49:41 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 04:19:24 pm »
It's because guys like you that nearly every "original" galaga or Ms. Pacman I find in an arcade has the speedup hacks. I even had one dipshit, not old enough to know better that told me Ms. Pacman was like that because it plays faster than Pacman.

:angry:

Dav

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 05:39:35 am
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 01:40:22 pm »
Link shortened by saint

Read this thread for the real story and some good news.

Dave

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 08:47:06 pm by saint »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 10:29:12 pm »
How does this differ from what I already said?

This isn't some kind of consipracy here, those romsets were deemed to be hacks... hacks that never made it into the arcades.  That wasn't the popular method of doing it anyway and for good reason... why would an operator pay 50 bucks to get his chips replaced for rapid fire when he could buy a simple 50 cent 555 timer chip, wire it to the 5v and have auto-fire?  On top of that, you could have it installed as an option at the factory. 

The only difference is this dwindle guy doesn't know what he's talking about and assumes that the eprom hack was more commonly used.  It isn't for the reasons I mentioned above. 

Dav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 09:55:03 am »
How does this differ from what I already said?

This isn't some kind of consipracy here, those romsets were deemed to be hacks... hacks that never made it into the arcades.  That wasn't the popular method of doing it anyway and for good reason... why would an operator pay 50 bucks to get his chips replaced for rapid fire when he could buy a simple 50 cent 555 timer chip, wire it to the 5v and have auto-fire?  On top of that, you could have it installed as an option at the factory. 

The only difference is this dwindle guy doesn't know what he's talking about and assumes that the eprom hack was more commonly used.  It isn't for the reasons I mentioned above. 

Why would you assume it never made it into the arcade?  Two bit score and others sold the galaga speed up chip to arcades for as long as I can remember.  A quick google search shows at least 3 vendors selling the chip now.  I guess they're just selling them to MAMErs to dump and play in MAME?

Your logic makes no sense whatsoever.  Compare it to mspacman.  You can get the hardware speedup for free by soldering a wire or buy or burn the eprom for the software speedup.  Guess what, I haven't seen the hardware hack in years, they ALL use the eprom. 

The difference in both cases is the software approach makes the game easier,  the hardware approach does not, which is why people liked the software speedups better.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 08:12:39 pm »
I didn't say that eprom based speedup hacks never made it into the arcade, I said that the hack used in mame never did. 

Eprom buring isn't free, it costs money. Pre-burned chips also can cost quite a bit.  The hardware hacks are very cheap while a burning service isn't.  Enough said. 

You haven't seen the hardware hack in years, because guess what?  Those games are 25 to 30 years old!  When people get ahold of a pacman pcb it usually needs repaired anyway, so they go ahead and get the hacked chips as their chips are corrupted.  (Why I don't know.  It seems stupid to me to go to all the trouble of getting an original arcade machine just to fudge it up with some stuipd cheating hack.)

We don't really care about stuff for homebrew guys that came out within the last 10 years or so.  Mame tries to emulate the roms (note I said roms, not eprom add-ons or speed-up kits)  that were found in the machine, in the arcades, when the machine was in the arcades.   When a real rom kit for galaga is found it'll be put it, but as of now there aren't any dumped. 

Dav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 09:12:08 pm »
I didn't say that eprom based speedup hacks never made it into the arcade, I said that the hack used in mame never did. 

And you know this because?

Here's a post almost 10 years ago from someone finding it on an old board.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting/browse_frm/thread/a04a08b6a6fbf058/
Are you suggesting the dump that was in mame is different from the one commonly found and sold in 1997?   The one commonly found and mailed around at that time mysteriously disappeared and a new one was made by hackers to take its place?  That would be strange since several people in that thread still post on RGVAC today.  In fact the guy that started that thread is a mame contributer.  I don't know how old the hack is but it almost certainly predates MAME, that fact that it's been in common use for at least 10 years is more than enough to qualify it for inclusion.

Eprom buring isn't free, it costs money. Pre-burned chips also can cost quite a bit.  The hardware hacks are very cheap while a burning service isn't.  Enough said. 

I don't think I've met an Op yet that didn't have facilities to erase and burn an eprom.  For free.  Enough said.

You haven't seen the hardware hack in years, because guess what?  Those games are 25 to 30 years old!  When people get ahold of a pacman pcb it usually needs repaired anyway, so they go ahead and get the hacked chips as their chips are corrupted.  (Why I don't know.  It seems stupid to me to go to all the trouble of getting an original arcade machine just to fudge it up with some stuipd cheating hack.)

The reason nobody does the hardware pac hack is because nobody likes it, the software hack is better.  And it's mostly operators changing it to fast, not collectors, because they make more money with the fast chip. 

The reason the software rapid fire was popular is because it makes the game easier.  The hardware hack does not. 

We don't really care about stuff for homebrew guys that came out within the last 10 years or so.  Mame tries to emulate the roms (note I said roms, not eprom add-ons or speed-up kits)  that were found in the machine, in the arcades, when the machine was in the arcades.   When a real rom kit for galaga is found it'll be put it, but as of now there aren't any dumped. 

You're obviously new to MAME.   Have you seen how many rom sets are marked hack or bootleg?  Including the ms pac and pacman speedup sets btw.