Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Log of Woe: Wells Gardner D9500 sync issues.  (Read 2376 times)

infiniteomega

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2010, 12:39:08 pm
Log of Woe: Wells Gardner D9500 sync issues.
« on: December 09, 2006, 04:51:49 am »
Okay, so I have a few things going on at once here.  First, I have a WG D9500 monitor that works just fine when connected up to a pc.  It'll let me run at 31khz in windows and through advancemame drop the games down to 15khz just fine.  However, when I use ultimarc's av adapter to connect my ps2 to the cabinet, I get a rolling image (from right to left). 

Update:

It appears as though nothing I connect via the 10 pin connector is syncing.  I tried connecting the ultimarc av adapter up to a jpac and receive the same results.   I also tried connecting the same pc up that works through vga and get no sync there as well.  It would appear as though anything looking to get composite sync isn't working.

Can anyone provide assistance?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 11:33:36 pm by infiniteomega »

slug54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2014, 09:00:21 pm
  • Man, I hope this cab fits through the door way!
    • Arcade Extreme
Re: Wells Gardner D9500 ultimarc ps2 av adapter
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:05:27 pm »
Hey Infinite,
Just curious how do you switch between output from PC and output from PS2? Sorry I don't have any info on the monitor you are having problems with. Just designing a new cab and would like ps2 and PC to arcade and not sure how to do it.

-Slug

infiniteomega

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 01:06:10 am »
I've attached an image of the monitor and the effects.  Still not sure what the deal is, but Andy from ultimarc has been working with me on it as well. 

As for how I'm going to switch from ps2 to pc, well, since I'm wiring the cabinet up to the jamma standard, I had originally planned to make my own jamma adapter boards for connecting the ps2 and pc to the cabinet.  I have the board from www.jammaboards.com in order to do this, but I ended up buying the ultimarc stuff because I ran into some problems with the ps2 av adapter I had made.  That said, with the jpac, I think I can just use a kvm for switching between the two (plus some kind of switch for the sound).  To be honest, I haven't really gotten that far.  I just want a stable picture first.

infiniteomega

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 04:51:21 pm »
bump.  Still have the issue.  I attempted connecting an actual jamma pcb up to the monitor and get nothing but a blank screen.  This is consistent with what I get from the ultimarc adapter (with all jumpers removed). 

infiniteomega

• Offline Offline
Re: Wells Gardner D9500 no sync
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 09:51:36 pm »
More updates.

Spent some time on the phone and through e-mail trying to get some help from wells gardner.  Talk about waste of time.  Basically, all I got was a "look at the schematics, and plug this cable in" kind of response.  I did learn that the cga adapter that was included with the monitor is apparently worthless for my purpose.  I have also learned that the jpac and the ultimarc adapter work quite well.  I have a japanese candy cab and got to play some ps2 on that cabinet with a few monitor adjustments. 

At this point in time I get a few different things depending on what input I use and what I'm connecting to the monitor.  If I use the vga connector, I get a perfect sync at 31khz from a pc.  I get a no-sync message and a scrolling image if I use the ps2 av adapter from ultimarc (as seen in the picture in a previous post). 

If I use the 10 pin .156 connector, from a pc or the ps2 av adapter, I get a scrambled rolling image with the no sync message.  From an actual game board (Mr Driller 2 to be exact) I get no picture.

As far as jumpers and adjustments on the monitor, I've found a jumper block that changes the rgb ttl levels from 1.4vpp to 2.2vpp.  This does nothing to help the issue.  I've also found a jumper that either limits the monitor to 15-38khz or allows it to go from 15-48khz.  Why it's set to limit itself to 38khz I don't know as the monitor is supposedly capable of the higher rate.  I haven't changed this option yet, but I doubt it will help me.  Pretty much all other adjustments are done through the OSD which is not available unless I get sync.   

One would think that My composite sync was just not connected, or was loose, but I've checked my wiring over and over again, only to get the same results...

update:

Okay, so here's what I've found tonight.  The 10 pin connector on the monitor is r, g, b, ground, vertical sync, horizonal sync, key, ground, vertical sync, composite sync.  I have been connecting devices up to r, g, b, ground...composite sync.  Tonight, I hacked up a vga cable and connected it to r, g, b, ground, vertical sync, horizontal sync, ground.  This allowed me to get a picture from the pc as I would have through the vga connector.  This tells me something is wrong with composite sync. 

Since it's the holidays, I doubt I'm going to get much help from wells-gardner, so my next course of action is going to be looking into how people create superguns in order to get a separate sync so that I can use  this cable for all of my jamma stuff.  I suspect the circuit is the same lm1881n circuit used in the ps2 av adapter.

Once I can get some proper tech support, I'm guessing they will wind up telling me I need a new monitor chassis.  That is, unless someone here can give me some other clues.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 11:32:36 pm by infiniteomega »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Log of Woe: Wells Gardner D9500 sync issues.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 12:19:20 am »
Foster at www.vendoramusements.com is someone you should talk to. He runs the repair forums there. I'm sure he'd be very interested in talking to you.