Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Making a half-cab.  (Read 2498 times)

payment_due

• ---Probation---
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2012, 11:04:24 pm
  • ---Probation---
Making a half-cab.
« on: July 29, 2006, 08:24:07 pm »
First of all, kudos to all of you who know about woodworking, or took the time to learn.  I know little to absolutely nothing about wood working, other than using a woodburning iron to write "I love Amy" on a piece of wood in highschool.  So, with that out of the way, I have a question about making a half-size cab. 

Lets say I get some cabinet blueprints off the net, or whatever and begin to build one.  If I were to say, cut the bottom one or two feet away from the cab to make it more squat, similar to a candy style cab, would it still be structurally sound, or will it fall apart?  I have a candy cab currently and I want to build a dedicated Dreamcast cabinet, but I don't want it towering over my current cab, and I don't want to be standing playing the thing, since I would be playing games like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for hours on end.
my MAMEcab progress blog: http://www.lealmedia.com/mame/

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
Re: Making a half-cab.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 06:34:31 am »

First of all, kudos to all of you who know about woodworking, or took the time to learn.  I know little to absolutely nothing about wood working, other than using a woodburning iron to write "I love Amy" on a piece of wood in highschool.

I sure hope your girlfriend didn't catch you! Did she know Amy? :laugh2:

Lets say I get some cabinet blueprints off the net, or whatever and begin to build one.  If I were to say, cut the bottom one or two feet away from the cab to make it more squat, similar to a candy style cab, would it still be structurally sound, or will it fall apart?  I have a candy cab currently and I want to build a dedicated Dreamcast cabinet, but I don't want it towering over my current cab, and I don't want to be standing playing the thing, since I would be playing games like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for hours on end.

No, as long as you build it well, it won't fall apart.  It's the same as building a full-sized cab, only you're removing the bottom part.  The only issues you may have are stability, and I think making it more squat should actually help you in this area.  Just make the base the same size as your candy cab, and try to keep the general dimensions the same as it as well.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t