Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: (Fixed) Wells-Gardner 19K4625 Image upside-down  (Read 2995 times)

hutch1980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2010, 02:54:26 pm
(Fixed) Wells-Gardner 19K4625 Image upside-down
« on: July 24, 2006, 06:17:04 pm »
I recently bought a used wells-gardner 19k4625 for my jamma rig and when connected to any of my jamma boards, the image is upside down. So i figured to swap the green & yellow wires which should designate the vertical (while red & blue designating horizontal, but didn't touch those) on the yoke of the tube to flip the vertical image, and that only resulted with just a bright green screen with scan lines (adjusting the vertical pot does nothing). I flipped the wires back to make sure i didn't damage anything, and it works fine except image being upside down of course. Now it being a test rig, doesn't really matter too much, but it's been bugging me on why that wouldn't work. I've done it several times on televisions with no problems.

I've done a few different searches here on the subject and found some info to try and i've got the manual/schematics for it, but nothing i could really find was usefull.

So my question is, has anyone else run into this sort of problem?
I'll try and get some pictures uploaded to show what i'm talking about.

I'm going to continue to tinker with it and maybe through trial & error i'll figure it out. Maybe there's something i'm overlooking.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 01:16:02 am by hutch1980 »

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:45:08 am
Re: Wells-Gardner 19K4625 Image upside-down
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:46:00 pm »
three ways to fix this,
1-turn the tube round
2-adjust the game board switches on picture flip
3-you have to reverse each pair of wires on the scan coils,red to blue/blue to red and yell to green/green to yell
number 1 is the most sensible method i think

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 07:01:23 pm »
It sounds like you have already done the homework on this... but thought I'd throw this link to Bob's page in there for others to review.
http://homearcade.org/BBBB/yoke.html

What you did should have done the trick. (green and yellow reversed)
But while you are tinkering around, DO NOT mix and match those other yoke pins except for reversing the "pairs" as mentioned.

I know you said it went back to "normal" after putting the yoke back where it was, but also double check the vertical plug in daughter cards, three of them, for bad solder joints or bad connections.
(just typical on those 4600's)
Maybe jarring one of those gave you a bad result when you flipped the yoke. (?) 
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:14:08 pm »
in the days before onboard screen flip dipswitch we had to cut all the yoke wires and use connector block to do the job

hutch1980

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:46:08 pm »
Thanks for the help guys. I'll try your suggestions and post my results. :)

hutch1980

• Offline Offline
Re: Wells-Gardner 19K4625 Image upside-down (Fixed)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 10:57:33 pm »
I just thought i'd give an update.

Well, i got everything working now. Apparently, my problem had nothing to do with the yoke wires, but my bad floppy drive cable hack that connected up to the RGB Gnd Sync edge connector. I just soldered directly to the contacts and all my problems went away and my screen is now the correct orientation. Again, thanks for the help guys :applaud:

grantspain

• Offline Offline
Re: (Fixed) Wells-Gardner 19K4625 Image upside-down
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:32:09 pm »
that is not logical,how could that cause your screen to be upside down :o

hutch1980

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 07:19:40 pm »
No, when i recieved the monitor, the image was already upside-down. On a seperate part of the monitor that has nothing to do with wether the image is reversed or upside-down, i had a floppy edge connecter kind of sitting on the RGB H/V pin array. My guess is that when i went to swap the green and yellow wires, i probably bumped the video connector. Moving the floppy connector around a little bit with my hand confirmed this.

So to sum it up, besides my ghetto connector, (i've since soldered my jamma cable directly to the contacts on the rgb board to remove problems) swapping the green & yellow wires together swaped the image right-side up, then swapping the red & blue wires reversed the image left to right, so doing that worked like a charm. When working on not so clean modifications, it's always good to doulbe, triple check your work to resolve all problems.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 09:25:51 am »
Good deal.... glad it worked out.
I kinda figured there was something else fishy going on with it besides the yoke flip.

You an Okie too? ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 09:28:22 am by Kevin Mullins »
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.