Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo/Sanyo vertical center?  (Read 2386 times)

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
Nintendo/Sanyo vertical center?
« on: July 27, 2006, 09:53:59 am »
This monitor doesn't seem to have a vertical center pot, it only has a horizontal center pot (H-CENT). How can I center the picture vertically?

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Re: Nintendo/Sanyo vertical center?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 10:42:29 am »
Look near the fuse and horizontal width coil for either a pot or a set of UP / DN jumper.
(mine doesn't have the pot installed, just the jumper)
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 10:53:52 am »
Yes, there is, but on Donkey Kong, Junior and earlier cabinets, it's not hooked up on the monitor! On Popeye cabinets and later the control is hooked up.

On the monitor main board is a pot with a black shaft (VR403) which is the vert positioning pot. However it won't work if the jumper is not connected. Directly adjacent to the pot (to the right of it) is three shiny pins sticking up from the board close to each other. There may or may not be a white plastic connector with a jumper wire in it. If you're lucky and the connector is there then the control is hooked up and turning the black plastic shaft on the pot should move the picture slightly up or down. If the white plastic connector is not present then you need to jumper two of the three pins in order to activate that pot. Jumpering the middle pin to the pin closest to the edge of the circuit board should allow positioning the picture lower. Jumpering the middle pin to the pin farther away from you should allow positioning the picture higher up.

Example of the jumpering:
                                            O
                                              \ jumper
                                               O
                                             O

or

O
                                              O
                                             / jumper
                                           O

I use a cheap alligator jumper wire from Radio Shack like their number 278-1157 to jumper the pins. Be sure it is securely connected.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 12:43:57 pm »
Excellent. I just took a look and mine is not jumpered. After you have the picture vertically centered with that VR403 pot, can you remove the makeshift jumper and have it stay centered or do you need to leave it jumpered?

Edit: I have two Nintendo/Sanyo parts chassis and they both have that jumper, so I guess I'm all set. It won't be "makeshift" and I can just leave it there.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:51:20 pm by MaximRecoil »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 05:49:11 pm »
The jumper has to remain connected or the pot won't work.