Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Easy way to remove spray paint from plastic?  (Read 31324 times)

Negativecreep0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2020, 10:59:49 am
  • I'm a llama!
Easy way to remove spray paint from plastic?
« on: July 26, 2006, 08:51:11 am »
What can I do that is not volatile that will remove bad spray painting from my in ceiling speakers? Can I rub them with turpentine? or should i use something less harsh? P.S. this is spray paint (black) that i sprayed teh speakers with to match my ceiling. But since it was my first spray painting i did it too close and its all uneven and drippy looking. I wanna start over. Thanks

NightGod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
Re: Easy way to remove spray paint from plastic?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 11:25:11 am »
Personally, if you're planning on turning around and respraying them, I would a) sand the drippy spray with a high grit sandpaper-probably 220 followed by 400 and then buy some Krylon Plastic Primer and Plastic Dye to cover it.

Regular spray paint + plastic = rarely turns out well.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 12:46:06 pm »
If the spray paint is only a few days ond, you can try to get away with using some mild chemical to remove the paint. YOu can try rubbing alcohol, or even try soap and water and a sponge.

Nightgods method is fune, but I have a fear of sanding plastic. So be careful

MikeDeuce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2013, 04:38:38 pm
  • It does a body good.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:07:10 pm »
If you want to remove the paint, a trick of model makers (like plastic car models, etc) is to get a disposable container and fill it with castrol super clean engine degreaser and let the part soak for a day or two. The paint usually comes right off under water and maybe with a soft toothbrushing.

I've also heard oven cleaner works wonders, but I've only tried the first method on plastic. I even let a model soak for 2 months once (was too busy at the time to worry about it) and the paint just fell off when I rinsed it with warm water.

Here's a few links:

http://theclubhouse1.net/FAQ/stripping.htm

http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/removingpaint2.htm

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial.asp?TutorialID=71&CurPage=1

But if you just want to repaint it, I would sand it like mentioned previously, prime it if you're doing another color, and go for it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 01:10:59 pm by MikeDeuce »

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 04:54:11 pm »
Comet and elbow grease might do it, though that's just a guess, as I've never tried it. Comet is a mild abrasive.