Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is Burger King trying to kill us????  (Read 10268 times)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Is Burger King trying to kill us????
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2006, 11:18:42 am »
I have stood in front of a case of their "bacon".  I don't care what their website says.  It is not real.  It is closer to plywood than meat.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2006, 11:19:10 am »
Fat is food ("food" being defined here as any substance which humans can metabolize for energy, i.e. fat, protein or carbohydrates).

I didn't say fat is bad for you.  I said 100grams of fat is bad for you.  It is horribly excessive and out of balance with what your body needs.  Any of the three major dietary elements (fat, protein, carbs) in excess is bad for you, with fat being the most damaging of the three.

100 grams of fat in a single meal is bad.  Pure and simple.  Doesn't matter if you add protein and carbs to balance it.  If you did that you would simply be making two days' worth of food into a single meal.

No offense but that's the biggest load I've ever heard of.  Your required fat intake greatly varies depending upon your body type, lifestyle and metabolism.  Personally I could eat 100 grams without batting an eye, and I'm not some horribly obese freak and my cholesterol and blood pressure are perfect.  

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2006, 11:23:01 am »
Fat is food ("food" being defined here as any substance which humans can metabolize for energy, i.e. fat, protein or carbohydrates).

I didn't say fat is bad for you.  I said 100grams of fat is bad for you.  It is horribly excessive and out of balance with what your body needs.  Any of the three major dietary elements (fat, protein, carbs) in excess is bad for you, with fat being the most damaging of the three.

100 grams of fat in a single meal is bad.  Pure and simple.  Doesn't matter if you add protein and carbs to balance it.  If you did that you would simply be making two days' worth of food into a single meal.
There are far too many variables to make a blanket statement like - "100 grams of fat in a single meal is bad." For example, I can and often do eat 100 grams of fat in a single meal. I don't gain weight no matter how much I eat; I never have and I doubt I ever will. The result of my last physical was all normal. I generally eat twice a day, each meal usually being between 1000 and 1500 Calories, sometimes up to 2000 Calories. The food I eat always has plenty of fat, such as Hamburger Helper, Pepperoni Pizza, Macaroni and Cheese w/hotdogs, etc. If I am active all day I eat 3 times.

Anyway, the point is, your claim doesn't apply to me in any demonstrable, tangible way and it is a safe bet that I am in no way biologically unique.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2006, 11:28:51 am »
Talk about everyone being online at once.... I think there were like 8 replies in the last 5 minutes. 

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2006, 11:29:28 am »
I have stood in front of a case of their "bacon".  I don't care what their website says.  It is not real.  It is closer to plywood than meat.

You have nothing to stand on with this claim. Do you really think that a massive worldwide corporation would risk the legal and PR consequenses of a fraudulent ingredient list for one of their products?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2006, 11:35:31 am »

Gee, you'd think a little common sense would be enough.  I don't need to stand on anything.  This is the innernets.

So, you only want verified, tangible, innernets published facts when it suits you... and yet you just used a real world common sense observation about your own metabolism.

All you managed to support is that every human being is unique.  Gee, no one has ever thought of that before.

100 grams of fat in a single meal is bad.  Simple fact.  Worse for some people than for others but it is never good and rarely if ever a nonfactor.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2006, 12:10:38 pm »

Gee, you'd think a little common sense would be enough.  I don't need to stand on anything.  This is the innernets.
Common sense? How is this for common sense? A giant worldwide corporation with its team of lawyers and consultants would not risk the legal and PR disaster of publishing a fraudulent ingredient list for their bacon considering they could be busted by any high school chemistry student.

Secondly, what you are talking about is a previously unknown product, i.e. a hybrid natural/synthetic which has not been "chopped and formed" -- bacon strip. So we are to believe that Burger King spent all the money on R&D to come up with something like this (assuming it is even possible to create such a thing while still retaining the natural structure of pork and fat), for unknown reasons, and with a cost likely exceeding that of simply using ordinary bacon which is readily available.

So, you only want verified, tangible, innernets published facts when it suits you... and yet you just used a real world common sense observation about your own metabolism.
The observation about my own metabolism is a verifiable exception to your supposed "rule". The fact that I am an exception means that there will be plenty of other exceptions among the 6.5 billion other people on Earth. That means that your "rule" is not a rule at all -- but rather it is a ChadTower hunch, much like your "analysis" of Burger King's bacon.
100 grams of fat in a single meal is bad.  Simple fact.  Worse for some people than for others but it is never good and rarely if ever a nonfactor.
Not a "fact" at all. If I eat 100 grams of fat in a single meal, which test would you use to show me the damage?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:12:45 pm by MaximRecoil »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2006, 12:15:32 pm »

Ok I was nice before but let me be blunt.  I eat somewhere around the range of 250-300 grams of fat a day.  I am a average sized man... if I didn't eat that much I'd fall over from weakness.  Just because YOU can't eat that much doesn't mean the rest of the world can't.  

About the bacon thing... I'm sure it is technically bacon. Technically chicken McNuggets are chicken, but if you understand the process in which they are made you understand that the only difference between mcnuggets and particle board is that one is mostly glue with some left over wood scraps and the other is mostly glue with some left over chicken scraps. ;D

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2006, 02:15:17 pm »
Hey, I remember the 60's. I can't remember for sure, but people are fatter now it seems to me.

I'm 45. I run and work out on a fairly regular basis. I'm hovering over the government's standards by a few lbs. I was into the standards for a while and really felt like weak and wimpy. I like to have a little extra lbs to get the mo going anyway.

Fast food is all the same to me. If I'm hungry, I'll eat any of it. (I don't remember what I don't eat, just stuff that moves around too fast)

I laugh at people who blame resturants for weight problems. Hell, they are open 24/7 and so is their refrigerators. If you think they are wrong, then don't eat.

It's like blaming a gas station for your car engine blowing up.

Who the hell has the right to tell a business like Wendys or McDonalds to simply re-do their business model? You have the right NOT to walk into a store, and that's your vote. McDonalds wouldn't have made those salads unless they thought they could sell them.

That's why they don't sell soy milk and switched to Sweet Tea here in the south.

They would sell beer if they got a licence (they do overseas).

So vote with your dollar if you don't like Fast food. If someone thinks eating fast food all the time is okay, let 'em.  We wasted our tax dollars on their education anyway.
King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2006, 02:25:42 pm »
A note: Even skinny people can get congestive heart failure and have ridiculously high cholestorol. Later in life, eating whatever you want wil catch up to you.

On a side note, I sure wish I was one of the skinny people who can eat anything...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2006, 03:24:59 pm »

I believe I've proven my point. 

hypernova

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2006, 07:38:38 pm »
What part of that is trans fat?  Trans fat only comes from hydrogenated oils.

There's .5 in the cheese slices (total), and 2 in the patties (.5 each patty), and then 7 more in the fries.

I'm not so sure the public is going to completely embrace this sandwich.  Part of my point was that it's been introduced in such a time where everyone's concerned about America's weight problems.  I'm not so sure this sandwich will stay on for very long.

And of course, I wasn't blaming BK, or anyone else for that matter.  I was just confused because of all these artery clogging, heart attack foods they've been introducing.  It's a step in the opposite direction compared to everyone else.

And they have a veggie burger?  Oh, that's right, all those advertisements. ::)  [/sarcasm]  (Not towards you Mike!)
Everyone check their local BK menu, both drive-thru and walk-in!  I'm curious to know if it's on those particular menus?  Or is it something you're just supposed to know that they have, but it's not actually listed?  (Like the McD's double/triple ham/cheeseburgers used to be years ago.)

Certainly didn't expect 90 replies that fast.  Or 90 replies at all. :P
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2006, 08:13:48 pm »
LOL @ "trans fat" BTW.

Who cared about "trans fat" a few years ago? Now people care; and why? Because they heard about it on the T and the V? As if any new and important discoveries are being made these days in the strange and mysterious world of ... nutrition. If "trans fat" wasn't a big enough deal to have been blabbed about all over the TV and singled out on nutrition labels in say, 1980 or 1990 or 2000, then it is not a big deal now.

Oh, but it is a hell of a marketing angle for Lay's potato chips (among many other products). "0 grams Trans Fat" they now boast. Didn't "No Cholesterol" used to be their schtick? I guess that is "passe" now. "Step aside Cholesterol! Move over generic Fat! There's a new guy in town!"

A few years ago, no one's packaging said anything about "Trans Fat". Why not? Because no one cared. But, someone dove down into the deep, dark and hidden mystery known as ... nutrition ... and when they surfaced they had a fistful of "Trans Fat"; and when the folks with all of their existing products scrambled to see if their stuff had the lastest health scare buzzword that the busybodies had conjured from that wild and unexplored frontier known as ... nutrition ... there was much rejoicing at the new free marketing tool that had been handed to them; well, free aside from the new package design that proudly boasts "0 grams Trans Fat"; you know; none of that stuff that we know is evil, because Mike Wallace told us so.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:03:56 pm by MaximRecoil »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2006, 09:34:09 pm »

BK fries - now 100% placenta free!

sez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2012, 05:57:20 am
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2006, 09:48:14 pm »

BK fries - now 100% placenta free!

I prefer the term "box jellyfish".
Eat your greens

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2006, 10:03:52 pm »

It's the egg yolk.

ashley

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2006, 04:10:04 pm
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2006, 10:58:21 pm »
MMMMMM fat goooood! OOOOOOOOH donuts.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2006, 01:34:57 am »
I found a buy one get one free quad stacker coupon and used it today. I ate over 4 hours ago and I still feel full. I'm sick of them right now, but I'll probably wan't more in a couple weeks.

Oh, and somebody made a point about cholestorladdsadsl. Yeah, they got those free checker things everywhere. Its a good idea to use them.

Hey hypernova, you should have posted this topic in P+R.  :laugh2:

thebrownshow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2010, 03:14:32 pm
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2006, 07:50:23 am »
Holy crap, you ate TWO QUADS?

:notworthy:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2006, 07:53:42 am »
yes, it is now been 11 hours since then, and I am still full....

NightGod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2006, 07:56:30 am »
LOL I bet you are.

That said, considering the way my body digests meat and cheese (reminants of my old Atkin's days), I could probably eat two quads for lunch and still eat a normal dinner.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2006, 08:51:32 am »
LOL @ "trans fat" BTW.

Who cared about "trans fat" a few years ago? Now people care; and why? Because they heard about it on the T and the V? As if any new and important discoveries are being made these days in the strange and mysterious world of ... nutrition. If "trans fat" wasn't a big enough deal to have been blabbed about all over the TV and singled out on nutrition labels in say, 1980 or 1990 or 2000, then it is not a big deal now.

LOL @ "lead" BTW.

Who cared about "lead" a few years ago? Now people care; and why? Because they heard about it on the T and the V? As if any new and important discoveries are being made these days in the strange and mysterious world of ... toxic substances. If "lead" wasn't a big enough deal to have been blabbed about all over the TV and singled out in say, 1980 or 1990 or 2000, then it is not a big deal now.

This statement just *screams* ignorance.  Do you even know how hydrogenated oils are treated inside your body?

And hydrogenated oils are 100% man-made.  They use them because they're cheap.  There are better solutions available, but because they cost far less to use, they'll use this substance that, over time, will have a heavy negative impact on your body.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 08:53:31 am by Peale »

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2006, 09:01:24 am »
Yep, we put crap into our foods before we even understand what it does to the human body. Only when they have enough evidence of long term dangers will they ban the use of a man-made substance put into food. and thats only if enough research is ever done.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2006, 10:20:13 am »
LOL @ "trans fat" BTW.

LOL @ "lead" BTW.

Who cared about "lead" a few years ago? Now people care; and why? Because they heard about it on the T and the V? As if any new and important discoveries are being made these days in the strange and mysterious world of ... toxic substances. If "lead" wasn't a big enough deal to have been blabbed about all over the TV and singled out in say, 1980 or 1990 or 2000, then it is not a big deal now.

This statement just *screams* ignorance.  Do you even know how hydrogenated oils are treated inside your body?

And hydrogenated oils are 100% man-made.  They use them because they're cheap.  There are better solutions available, but because they cost far less to use, they'll use this substance that, over time, will have a heavy negative impact on your body.
Your analogy is ridiculous.

If one injests lead, the damage can be established.

If I eat French Fries, show me the damage.

And I think you'll find that the term "lead poisoning" dates back hundreds, if not thousands of years.

Oh, and there is no such thing as a "100% man-made" vegetable oil.

Busybody Do-Gooder long term wild guesses mean nothing to me.

This is far more a political issue than it is a health issue.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2006-13%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=trans+fat+law

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2006-13%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=trans+fat+legislation

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2006-13%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=obesity+legislation

Follow the money. Politics = big business.

Now excuse me while I call the Poison Control Center. I just ate some margarine and I might be on death's door!

thebrownshow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2006, 10:26:16 am »
I think MaximRecoil works in a Crisco factory and is worried about his job.  You sound like a Tabacco company CEO.

"Blah blah blah, it's not really bad for you, it's all politics, I ignore facts..."  :blah:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2006, 10:36:19 am »

It is good that he now sees it our way.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2006, 10:43:34 am »
"Blah blah blah, it's not really bad for you, it's all politics, I ignore facts..."  
Where are your facts? I want a "Trans Fat Damage Detection Test

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2006, 10:45:03 am »

Marlboro couldn't have said it better themselves.

thebrownshow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2006, 10:56:19 am »
I don't even know what the hell you're arguing about at this point.   :dizzy:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2006, 10:59:22 am »

Nor does anyone care.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2006, 11:04:05 am »

Marlboro couldn't have said it better themselves.

Nor does anyone care.
Nice non sequitur. Do you ever tire of throwing your paper cups from the sidelines?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2006, 11:08:05 am »

That's not my style.  Ask someone who knows me.

NightGod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2006, 02:33:16 pm »
Yeah (Xenical) there's (Splenda) nothing (Nutrasweet) new (hamburger isn't a diet food?) in (Fen Phen causes heart attacks?) the (free radicals? You mean like Che Guevera?) world (what are anti-oxidants?) of nutrition (Olean). It's stayed the exact same for the last 50 years.

Trans-fat is called a risk factor-there has been a higher incidence of heart disease in those who have high amounts of trans-fat in their diets. Studies like these take decades and thousands of participants to perform. Further studies based on those findings are then done in more controled situations and have consistantly backed the findings.

Does this mean that *every* person who eats a large amount of trans-fats will have heart disease? No, of course not. Just like there are smokers who smoke two packs a day from age 14 and live to be 105 when they die of kidney failure. It's an overall statistical trend.

Personally, I'd rather stop eatting as much margarine and cook with olive oil if it means a 10% statistical reduction in my overall risk of heart disease.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2006, 02:33:30 pm »
Oh will all of you just stop your bitching and go eat a quad stacker.

::)
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2006, 02:37:53 pm »
I can't believe I waste precious minutes of my life reading this thread...

NightGod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2006, 02:43:07 pm »
Oh will all of you just stop your bitching and go eat a quad stacker.
 ::)
I got my 2-for-1 coupon in the mail today-I know what I'm having for dinner!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2006, 02:50:51 pm »

Don't eat the coupon, dude. 

thebrownshow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2006, 03:03:24 pm »
Oh please, chad.  I have yet to see evidence that eating coupons is bad for you.  It's all politics.  Show me some proof.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2006, 03:15:32 pm »

I once got a paper cut on my tongue.

thebrownshow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2006, 03:23:10 pm »
Where are your facts? I want a "Coupon Damage Detection Test