Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Set-up: "How to" guide (install and configure emulators, plus Visual Pinball)  (Read 119928 times)

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
Re: MALA "How to" guide (install and configure emulators, plus Visual Pinball)
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 10:55:40 am »
The name of the snap file must match the name of the ROM file ........ of course the extension part of the filename will be different.

Mame ROM file extensions = xxxx.ZIP
MALA snap files = xxxx.JPG, xxxx.GIF, etc..

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:57:23 am by unclet »

Arcade Freak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2008, 01:12:06 pm
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 10:59:13 am »
cool great thanks...i will try that tonight...but they can seat all in the same directory...right.

cheers

unclet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 11:05:11 am »
Correct ... all Mame snapshots (ie: snaps/screenshots) should be placed in the same Mame snap directory.

My guide recommends using a different snapshot directories for each emulator (if you are going to install other emulators in the future) just to keep all emulator files separated an organized nicely. 

MontanaVike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2017, 01:11:46 pm
In an effort to give something back, I have created a very quick and dirty batch file that automatically will create all the folders in Uncle T's install guide.  The only difference is that I couldn't use spaces in the folder names.

For example

c:\Emulators\Mala\layouts\Sega CD\

becomes

c:\Emulators\Mala\layouts\SegaCD\

Hopefully this is useful to someone.

unclet

• Offline Offline
Thanks for contributing .....  :applaud:

FYI: I believe if you use double-quotes (") around your directory paths then spaces would be allowed. 

wooowman93

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2014, 03:56:02 pm
can you make a winrar file with all the directories please

unclet

• Offline Offline
BYOAC does not allow attaching RAR type files.   

I unzip'd the file for you and saw that it was just a simple BAT file which you can execute from a command prompt window to have it create all the directories automatically for you.

I unZip'd the file and renamed it to "CreateFolders.txt" and attached it to this post.  Simply rename it to "CreateFolders.bat" and you will have the same file as what was in the original ZIP file above.  Hope this helps you out.

shags0024

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2021, 10:58:45 am
Unc,
I have to tell you thanks.

Another thanks to all of the great people involved with this hobby, we have the BEST community on the internet!!!!!!
Looks like PETA IS TRYING TO RENAME FISH TO "SEA KITTENS" guess i will be going SEA KITTEN Huntng !!!!!!

KnightofTruth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2013, 12:51:58 am
Oh wow, I should've turned to the second page before I created all the folders manually haha.  I have a question regarding mala tree setup with your tutorial UncleT...  When I go to the mala tree editor, how should my folder structure look in terms of "tree snaps".  I didn't see any such folder in your layout, but am not sure (even after reading wiki) where I should point the tree snaps (I guess these are pics for the menu and whatnot?) to..

Thanks for the help in advance and awesome tut by the way!  :applaud:

unclet

• Offline Offline
Unfortunately I never used the tree setup myself so this is why it was never in my tutorial.  You might need to ask some general questions regarding the setup and use of the tree structure in the MALA forum.    Sorry for not being helpful in this area ..... :-[

KnightofTruth

• Offline Offline
Haha no need to apologize.  I found another thread that gave a download for the zebra layout and apparently has the tree as part of the basic layout.  Now for some good ole fashion trial and error - that's what makes computers fun! ;)

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Haha no need to apologize.  I found another thread that gave a download for the zebra layout and apparently has the tree as part of the basic layout.  Now for some good ole fashion trial and error - that's what makes computers fun! ;)

Please add your knowledge to the wiki

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Mala_Tree

armad1ll0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2012, 12:24:57 pm
  • The player and the builder!
    • Modeverything
Magicengine is a wonderful PC Engine emulator and probably the best one.
I needs to be in your collection if you've never tried it. PCEngine is a significant platform.  Has anyone tried it with MaLa?

KnightofTruth

• Offline Offline
I noticed that there were several emulators (systems) not used on this walkthrough that people may be using.  I'm in that "stage" right now of getting all the emulators etc. to run via commandline, so once I've got them done, I'll add the extra command lines here for said emulators.  Namely nintendo ds (and yes you can get it in full screen) - no$gba, sega saturn -yabause, and other alts such as gens, nestopia, etc.

Maybe you could add them to your tutorial under "alternative emulators" or something.  Anyway, just thought I'd mention it!   ;D

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
If you are really keen you can update the 'emulator_presets.ini' file, which will show up on the menu in mala (shown in the pic)

Then send to me for future release distribution   ;D

WompaStompa11

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2010, 01:21:43 am
I cannot download either of the batch files.  I get:

C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Local\Temp\SRvdPuxl.txt.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.

I've tried "trying later," creating an account, and using a different browser.  Thanks.

I/O

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2011, 01:33:10 am
Here is an update file that includes the correct execution value for Daphne, and configuration values for lnk files, as well as AAE (to go straight to game).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:02:56 am by I/O »

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 10:51:34 am
Re: Set-up: "How to" guide (install and configure emulators, plus Visual Pinball)
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2010, 04:32:29 pm »
I'm running through the setup guide for the first time, and I see to download "artwork" and "samples" from mame.net.  I can't find that on their website, is there a new resource for these items I should use?

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 10:51:34 am
Re: Set-up: "How to" guide (install and configure emulators, plus Visual Pinball)
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2010, 02:40:55 pm »
The controls file at http://fe.donkeyfly.com/controls/controls.php also seems to be a dead link.  Anyone know where I can get that?

EDIT:
OK I'm learning here, so I apologize for the clutter.  I found the controls.dat stuff and think I'm good to go although its a bit outdated.  The links in the tutorial should probably be changed though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:07:09 pm by bratwurst »

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2010, 01:54:23 pm
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2010, 07:49:54 am »
The Uncle T guide is a grand achievement. I used it when i was 'green'. It's always nice when people spend time in order to help others without thinking about making money.

I just want to make people aware that time has passed since he wrote the guide, and accessory programs, emulators and stuff can in some cases be outdated, or newer ones have come out. There is sometimes better emulators that does the trick with less or no problems or compromises.

My advise is to search for other emulators if a particular 'Uncle T' recommend Emu has some drawbacks.

I have allways had some standarts for my setup; like no windows in sight is to be tolerated, no mouse/keyboard needed in anycase what so ever/ games close by esc.

There a brilliant program that has come out call Auto-hotkey. It can program your keyboard to alter the output. It can be used for so many things. It's endless really. And you can make as many applications as you want to, and they will auto boot.

Here's two examples I've used it for: The SLD/NEO emu. (The ONLY Neogeo CD emu that works, and it's flawless),. It needs an key push F1 to go to full screen. I made a script in Auto hotkey where key '1' also send out an 'F1', while still retaining the original output of the key '1'. (You can't use closemul as there's no menus in this in SLD/NEO).

Another Emulator that i could not get working in my cab was 'DICE'. DICE is a very important emulator, it only plays 3 games and they are black & white (and the machine contains no IC's (chips), It's all discrete components). DICE is an emulator of the very first arcademachine that used a monitor (CTR (Tube screen)). It was called Atari Pong, but had 2 more games that were somewhat different from pong. It dates 1972. In full manufacturing in 1973. Controles on the DICE emu were fixed (The controls consisted of two full rotating potmeters, one for each player, no more , no less). The cabinet was as taken from the film 2001. Must be worth a fortune now since it's simply a diffrent league designwise and then ther's the history of being the first CTR video game machine. Do anyone on this site own one? The knobs were not the same as the Mame standart (that I have adopted for all my emus, with 5 buttons + joyst. time 2) A little script in auto hotkey rearranged the keys and now is running perfect.

Super Nintendo/Nintendo Famicom Disk System/Nintendo NES runs fine with the newest Mess (allthough a pop up says that there can be a problem with sound/video. I have not had any probems and i think these warnings will be removed in one of the next updates.

The Super nintendo that is recommended in Mala under presets, ZSNESW, are not good. It's not frontend friendly. It must be a mistake that this emu is still the one you can choose in Mala for SNES. Many peole would never know better, and then they are in for a struggle.

Use snes9x and use mala hook 'close'. (Tick 'use hotkeys' press 'edit hotkeys', and then press 'add'.  This is very simple. Reasign keys by starting up the emulator outside Mala (Esc brings on the menus) Or use newest  Mess. No hook needed.

I think that Mess makes the nicest screen picture. IUse Mess for all my tv'console nintendos.

If anyone would like the auto hot script for the DICE and the SLD/NEO then message me.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:51:26 am by Henrik68000 »

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
Here is an updated file, including new AAE info (and possibly correcting some Daphne and PC games info).
-Banned-

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
Updated version: 1.6
-Banned-

unclet

• Offline Offline
Great job of updating ......  :cheers:

PS:  Can I assume your ".txt" file is really a microsoft Word ".doc" file still and the user should rename the file to be ".doc" instead before opening?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:43:31 am by unclet »

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Great job of updating ......  :cheers:

PS:  Can I assume your ".txt" file is really a microsoft Word ".doc" file still and the user should rename the file to be ".doc" instead before opening?

Thats what worked for me.

Your header says version 1.3 tho. Should that say 1.6?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
Great job of updating ......  :cheers:

PS:  Can I assume your ".txt" file is really a microsoft Word ".doc" file still and the user should rename the file to be ".doc" instead before opening?

You can. My system can't read .doc files, so I've kept mine a txt file. I see no benefit for it to be a .doc file.
-Banned-

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
Minor VP data update.
-Banned-

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Just want to thank Uncle T, not only does he make a kick ass Jukebox program...............................THIS GUIDE ROCKS!
I used this guide to begin my multiple system MaLa cabinet and it has been a HUGE help.
I also came across the additional info you have regarding the PS1 emulator, again great work.

Not to take anything away from this page and its contents, does any such guide exist for Sega Saturn ?
Specifically I'm using SSF.

thank you

scream1973

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2014, 10:28:46 am
Anyone got a complete mala.ini file from this configuration could cut down on the work even more :)

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
Anyone got a complete mala.ini file from this configuration could cut down on the work even more :)

Not really, because you would still have to go in and change at least the directory letters, though probably the whole of each directory. In any case, I think few people actually have more than four or five emulators in their kit. The tutorial of course covers all those unlcet thought of.
-Banned-

scream1973

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2014, 10:28:46 am
Yeah i have figured out my issues .. Now working on trying to get LEDBlinky to work with Mala.. not to much luck yet on that one..

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
Updated file
-Banned-

ragnar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 10:40:56 am
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2011, 03:18:19 pm »
Thanks for contributing .....  :applaud:

FYI: I believe if you use double-quotes (") around your directory paths then spaces would be allowed. 

Having used computers for a very long time at this point including UNIX type systems, I find it best practice to never use spaces.
MY FIRST BUILD:

MPTech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2023, 06:13:37 pm
  • UltimateArcade completed!
Is the document link still valid?  (I'm getting an error: 404 - Not Found.  I'm at work, so I don't know if our Firewall is blocking me)

Thanks
MPTech
   Better living thru technology!   ;-)

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
Must be firewall, as the link is hosted here.
-Banned-

micahman33

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2020, 09:54:23 am
I too am getting the 404 error...both at work and home. Is there anywhere else this file is possibly hosted? Obviously there is an issue with this file.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
I get a 404 at work and home also....  :'(
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

micahman33

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2020, 09:54:23 am
Just use the mala wiki and you should be able to figure most of it out....since I couldnt access this file ever, I pretty much did all the manual legwork of figuring stuff out myself. Mala is really nice once its configured correctly...and most of it is pretty logical once you step through the different tabs in setting things up. PM me if you need any help.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
I think this may be useful to someone else so I'll ask here. I was trying to figure out an easy way to use mala for other emu's without having to use Mame. I did find a work around but it's clunky.
-HarumaN

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
I just downloaded the last version, 1.8, from this post above, as well as 1.6 in a post above that....

@IG-88: be more explicit.
-Banned-