Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Battletoads - It's back together again. This time with artwork!  (Read 43065 times)

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Nice!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
looks great, opt2not is amazing.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>

MARQUEE

CONTROL PANEL

SIDE ART

Quoted onto this page for badassness - opt2not, this is fantastic!

AlienInferno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 09:58:54 pm
I edited my last post but I will add it here as well.  Opt2not and his partner BitterP did an awesome job.  I think BitterP did most of the artwork.  So I think he should receive a lot of praise as well. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
BOOYA!  :w00t

Glad you like the art, we put a bunch of love into it!  8)
BitterP did most of the heavy-lifting on this one, I directed the art, layout design and managed the quality output. So I can't take full credit. But it's great to have 2 sets of eyes on the artwork creation, especially since we work really well with each other and have so for years.
This project was definitely a lot of fun to work on, and it gave us both an excuse to play through Battletoads again! We took art inspiration from the arcade version, and the SNES versions for this one. The arcade game is incredible looking, but I got to admit, I like playing the NES version the best. Maybe part nostalgia, but probably because I just got my NES RGB modded, so I'm a bit hooked on it right now. :lol

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen!  :notworthy: And thanks to AlienInferno for coming to us with a great theme! Sure is a nice break from working on a cornucopia of mixed characters (which most people go for) where we have to figure out how to make them all work in a similar style!

As for AlienInferno's cab, I for one can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck bro, I'll be watching your progress! :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
While the art is great, I kinda liked Outlaw Star better.  :dunno

But Opt2Not does great work.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
Very nice work indeed! The one thing I would have changed is the marquee: I would have curved it a bit less and spread it over the full width (or maybe add some characters to the left and right).

BAMBOO

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2016, 06:51:20 am
Love it.
"Every arcade we restore preserves history that we will never experience again..."

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 11:39:46 am
    • Card Fighters Project
Love the new theme and artwork.
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
While the art is great, I kinda liked Outlaw Star better.  :dunno

But Opt2Not does great work.  :cheers:

I liked it too.  It's something I want to return to for a different build but for this one I always envisioned having full side art and all the art built around a specific theme.  The problem was I could not find any high quality images that would work for the sideart without being pixelated when resized.  I plan on taking some of the lower quality images and reworking them as vector art so they can be resized any which way without a loss of quality.  But my skills at that right now are terrible.  Once I get this project completed as well as a few others completed I will return to it.  In the meantime I will practice with Illustrator so I can get the artwork up to my standards when the time comes.

Very nice work indeed! The one thing I would have changed is the marquee: I would have curved it a bit less and spread it over the full width (or maybe add some characters to the left and right).

The original marquee does have characters on the left and right sides but IMO it looked to busy.  I find this version to be much more elegant so to speak.  I just like simpler looking marquees better.

BOOYA!  :w00t

Glad you like the art, we put a bunch of love into it!  8)
BitterP did most of the heavy-lifting on this one, I directed the art, layout design and managed the quality output. So I can't take full credit. But it's great to have 2 sets of eyes on the artwork creation, especially since we work really well with each other and have so for years.
This project was definitely a lot of fun to work on, and it gave us both an excuse to play through Battletoads again! We took art inspiration from the arcade version, and the SNES versions for this one. The arcade game is incredible looking, but I got to admit, I like playing the NES version the best. Maybe part nostalgia, but probably because I just got my NES RGB modded, so I'm a bit hooked on it right now. :lol

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen!  :notworthy: And thanks to AlienInferno for coming to us with a great theme! Sure is a nice break from working on a cornucopia of mixed characters (which most people go for) where we have to figure out how to make them all work in a similar style!

As for AlienInferno's cab, I for one can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck bro, I'll be watching your progress! :cheers:

I grew up playing the NES version.  My local arcade, at the time, didn't have it.  They did have TMNT and The Simpsons though which is why I styled my cab after them.  Glad I was able to give ya'll a little bit of respite from what is now the norm.  Glad to have you watching.  Hope I can make your artwork proud.    ;D

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:42:39 pm
First of all, LOVE the artwork.  It looks great and opt2not and bitterp really outdid themselves here.

One thing I noticed is that the logo on the marquee appears a bit off-center to the left... Not sure if it is intentional or not, but if you haven't gone to production yet I figured I would point it out.  Regardless, excellent artwork and can't wait to see it on the cab!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
One thing I noticed is that the logo on the marquee appears a bit off-center to the left... Not sure if it is intentional or not, but if you haven't gone to production yet I figured I would point it out.  Regardless, excellent artwork and can't wait to see it on the cab!
Son-of-a... I don't know how the heck this got passed us. I just checked the original files and you're right.  Thanks thatpurplestuff, good eye.  I'm guessing since we're multitasking several commissions at the moment, this somehow slipped by.  :'(

AlienInferno, I just sent you an email with the updated version, properly centered.  My sincerest apologies for this.  :dizzy:
I hope this didn't screw you in any way.

The original marquee does have characters on the left and right sides but IMO it looked to busy.  I find this version to be much more elegant so to speak.  I just like simpler looking marquees better.
In this case I completely agree.  Sometimes less is more.

When creating a full cabinet of artwork, you have to balance the amount of detail when looking at it as a whole.  This goes for any project that requires multiple components of high-level detailed art to work together.  Most inexperienced folks treat each individual piece of art as it's own self-contained image, not taking into account the entire project's aesthetic and how it balances out.  For arcade art, the key is to take a step back and analyse the cabinet altogether, how each part works with each other. This is one of the reasons I tend to "mock up" the cabinet by photoshopping these images onto a photograph of the cab, to see how it all fits together.
Also, using the old painter's "Squint" technique is incredibly useful. By squinting your eyes when looking at the art, you can get a sense of where the details should be amped-up, or taken away. This is incredibly useful for clarity of the image, and balancing contrast. Because when looking through squinted eyes, you get the core essence of the image. Similar to sketching, where you breakdown the elements into primitive shapes to figure out proportions.

Another component when deciding a vision for your artwork is taking into account how arcade games were handled in the hay-days. They were meant to sell.
Side art was primarily the most "flashiest", while Control Panels and Marquees were the most informative.  When creating a marquee, artists had to make sure the title was clear and concise, without clutter so that the audience could easily read and recognize what game it was among all the other cabinets around it.  This is why you see a lot of classic marquees have much simplified graphics than side and control panel art.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:08:48 pm by opt2not »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
When creating a full cabinet of artwork, you have to balance the amount of detail when looking at it as a whole.  This goes for any project that requires multiple components of high-level detailed art to work together.  Most inexperienced folks treat each individual piece of art as it's own self-contained image, not taking into account the entire project's aesthetic and how it balances out.  For arcade art, the key is to take a step back and analyse the cabinet altogether, how each part works with each other. This is one of the reasons I tend to "mock up" the cabinet by photoshopping these images onto a photograph of the cab, to see how it all fits together.
Also, using the old painter's "Squint" technique is incredibly useful. By squinting your eyes when looking at the art, you can get a sense of where the details should be amped-up, or taken away. This is incredibly useful for clarity of the image, and balancing contrast. Because when looking through squinted eyes, you get the core essence of the image. Similar to sketching, where you breakdown the elements into primitive shapes to figure out proportions.

Another component when deciding a vision for your artwork is taking into account how arcade games were handled in the hay-days. They were meant to sell.
Side art was primarily the most "flashiest", while Control Panels and Marquees were the most informative.  When creating a marquee, artists had to make sure the title was clear and concise, without clutter so that the audience could easily read and recognize what game it was among all the other cabinets around it.  This is why you see a lot of classic marquees have much simplified graphics that side and control panel art.  :cheers:

Can we get this stickied, printed, laminated, handed out to people, etc. Excellent, nay, OUTSTANDING advice.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Can we get this stickied, printed, laminated, handed out to people, etc. Excellent, nay, OUTSTANDING advice.

:lol Yep! Excellent comment.  :notworthy:

Art is outstanding as well.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
Thanks Opt for the updated file.  Personally I would have never caught it and you didn't screw me either so no worries there.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about what color/style of buttons/tops/etc I want for this theme.  I already have Electric Ice everything (Trackball, buttons, matching ball tops) for RGB lighting.  They do work well but I was a bit unsure of if that off-white color would look OK with the greens and yellows of the artwork so I made a mockup in Sketchup.  I think it should look ok with the white/white-ish controls. 

What do ya'll think?

I didn't mock these up because getting the controls angles was a pain but my other option I was thinking was going with Smoke bubble-tops, Nepthring knock-offs, the Paradise Arcade clear/black button combo (for lighting the rings of the buttons with RGB (or just green), and a green translucent trackball.  Allthough I'm thinking it would be nice to have at least the trackball and balltops match so I might go with a green bubbletop. 

But would that be too much green?

Hmmmm................

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
The white looks great. Any more green, and I think you'd get tired of the color.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
The white looks great. Any more green, and I think you'd get tired of the color.

agreed. White tmolding would help tie it in together.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
Not sure on white t-molding. I'll mock it up and post it later when I get back home.  I was just going to use black.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
For the t-molding, I suggest using Black.

As for the controls, yellow!
There is some yellow in the artwork, mostly in the gradients, and it goes along with the greens well. It's not as stark-bright as the white, but it'd be bright enough to stand out.  :cheers:

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
Tried Opt's suggestion of yellow.  Attached are varying degrees of yellowness.  Not bad really.  Kind of like it.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Yeah, I think that looks better than the all white controls.

:)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:43:12 pm by opt2not »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
I like the first one, with the white trackball.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Yeah, actually I change my vote: I'm with yots.  The white trackball and white admin/start buttons works better. :)  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Yeah, it just seems to flow better and visually separates the control panel into two player spots.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
Thanks for the replies guys.  I never would have thought to use yellow and it does work well with the artwork. 

I think what I am going to do is remove all the RGB items from this machine.  I have plenty more empty cabs waiting so no problem there.  Plus it will make wiring easier.  I would need to purchase yellow buttons, yellow ball tops, a solid white trackball, and a couple white buttons for the admins.  If I can find them I already have player start buttons and should still have some vinyl admin labels as well.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Yellow buttons are a go.  Take apart the player buttons and use yellow surround with white centers.  Go with the white trackball.  Spend a little extra money and have custom dust washer produced that are the circular BT logo with the three spikes coming off.  That would be badass. 

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
Yellow buttons are a go.  Take apart the player buttons and use yellow surround with white centers.  Go with the white trackball.  Spend a little extra money and have custom dust washer produced that are the circular BT logo with the three spikes coming off.  That would be badass.

I've checked out one of the makers of custom dust washers a few months back.  This would be a good opportunity.  I'd have to do it without the toad face in the center as that would just be drilled out for the stick anyway.  As for your design suggestion the attachment look like what you thought?

Also I was searching Paradise Arcade and came across these two balltops.  I like the first one the best but thinking more along the lines of a solid ball for this build.  That's why the I linked the second.

Green / Yellow Paradise Premium Bi-Color Balltop
http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/home/1140-green-yellow-paradise-premium-bi-color-balltop.html

and

Butteroj's Green/Yellow Swirled 38mm ball tops
http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/buttero-s-balls/968-butteroj-s-greenyellow-swirled-38mm-ball-tops.html

gabrielmtl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2016, 10:19:03 pm
  • This is...
Very sweet artwork, congratulations. I love that you weren't scared too go all out green with it!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Yup! That looks sweet!  I would like to see those dust washers but if you have to go standard it'll still look the tits  :applaud:

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
I am jealous as hell. Battletoads are the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- and coukd take the ninja turtles in a fight.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
Re: Battletoads - Waiting on final parts
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2014, 04:47:10 pm »
So It's been awhile but I finally got around to ordering all the parts I need to finish this cab.  Well I say all the parts but I still need some wire but that's easy enough to source locally. 

I have yellow buttons, yellow balltops, and a white trackball from GGG sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed, black t-molding and the material I'm making the marquee mount out of arriving within the next couple of days, and my artwork was shipped out today from GOG.  Can't wait for it to get here.

While I'm waiting for those parts to come in I'm going to be doing a little work on the cab.  Mainly removing the holes where I was going to have the volume control and the earphone plug.  I liked the idea of having the earphones but overall I don't think it's needed and I'm going to relocate the volume control to a more traditional spot inside the coin door.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
Re: Battletoads - Final Parts Recieved
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2014, 11:35:39 pm »
I got these in the mail yesterday.  Now I have all the parts needed to get this completed.  Keep an eye out folks because this is going to look amazing.  Artwork looks great printed out.  Pictures do not do it justice since I had to shrink them a bit to be within the size limitations.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
Re: Battletoads - It's back together again. This time with artwork!
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2014, 10:30:19 pm »
So I had this big long post done up and there was an error!  Now I get to retype it.   :angry:

Thanks to those that have been following this and waiting patiently for the artwork to be applied to the cabinet.  I apologize that it has taken so long and that this hasn't been a very good thread as far as documenting the build for this.  I still need to do a bit of paint touch up on a few of the corners where the white primer is now showing through and I'm still waiting on a proper marquee retainer but without further ado...

Purple Tophat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2023, 06:55:15 pm
  • Will pay cash for working time machine
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2014, 12:36:20 am »
100% completely awesome! I freaking love this cabinet. Great job!
Unbeatable Mortal Kombat Master

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2014, 07:31:25 am »
Dude that looks totally sick!  Great job!!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2014, 03:40:40 pm »
Wow, it looks great!  :applaud:

The print colours turned out looking really awesome! What print service did you use?

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2014, 03:48:44 pm »

The print colours turned out looking really awesome! What print service did you use?

Lol. I was beginning to think I was going to have to hunt you down. I used Game On Grafix.  Once I get stuff moved around I'll take some better pics for your thread and website if you want.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:55:04 pm by AlienInferno »

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2014, 03:50:31 pm »
Oops
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:54:14 pm by AlienInferno »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2014, 04:01:42 pm »

Lol. I was beginning to think I was going to have to hunt you down. I used Game On Grafix.  Once I get stuff moved around I'll take some better pics for your thread and website if you want.

Heh, yeah I've been really busy these days, so I haven't been that active on the forum.
Yeah, GoG does some quality work, I'm relieved it worked out so well!

And yes, I would love a few nice show-pics to put up on the website/portfolio. Much appreciated!   :cheers: