Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Emulation Universe, conversion of sorts!!!  (Read 3101 times)

brinkwill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2006, 09:01:24 am
Emulation Universe, conversion of sorts!!!
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:53:18 am »
Hi all, i spent about 2 months on this site trying to figure out what type of mame cab i was going to build.  I didn't want to do a conversion because i see that it is frowned up by some in the community. so while trying to decice what to build, i ran across a produce stand a work that was about to be tossed out so i got it. it reminded me of a cab so i decided to see if i could make it look like a mame cab.  it sat around for about another month, but once i got around to trying to do something with it it only took 2 day, not full ones, to get completed.  i call it emulation universe because i use it to emulate everything i can, mame, snes, nes n64, ps1 sega genisis, and on and on. 

some materials i used:
1 sheet mfd
1 sheet plexi glass
gallon of primer and gloss black paint
7 dollar  florecent light from wal-mart
ipac2
buttons from dream arcade
3.2 p4, 1gig mem, 300gig hdd, 17 lcd, kingston track ball i had for years and wan't using
screws i had from a kit i bought years ago, ( i buy stuff just to have, almost never use

here are the pics
  i don't have pics of some steps but tomorrow i will upload pics of whats been completd so far but i have so many more ideas that i think this thing is far from complete

steveh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 09:33:42 am
    • thecrazysteve.com
Re: Emulation Universe, conversion of sorts!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 09:24:21 am »
That is an interesting find.  I dont think i would have ever even thought about doing that.  I would love to see what this looks like when its done.  Keep up the good work.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:17:13 pm »
Interesting choice for a cab, though who am I to talk.   :laugh2:  I'm using a computer desk for a test cab. 

A few suggestions; Take out the top shelf completely, this will give you more room for a monitor.  Though after looking at the pic again I think that you are planning for a LCD monitor.  Cut the back off the CP where I assume you are putting the coin, start & admin buttons and mount it vertically between the CP and the monitor shelf, this should give it a cleaner look.  When you get the cash together drop your trackball and get a Happ or GGG trackball, you'll be glad you did.

You might want to take a little more time and care when you are cutting into this box.  The spot where the CP interfaces with the box looks like someone hacked into it without a plan, unless the CP is not fully in place when the pic was taken.  Please take this last comment with grain of salt.  We all started somewhere in the skill area of woodworking.  I know that I am not the best and I have my dad who is a finish carpenter to compare myself to.  What I do know is if you take your time now you will appreciate it later.

brinkwill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 03:23:33 pm »
thanks guys, here are more of the pics i promised.  there are still some other things i need to do like add the speakers but i want to mount them on top where the extra space is.   for now the steering wheele is just added when i want to play a racing game but i'm trying to figure out how to make it flip up into place.  the pedals are gonna be easy but the wheele will take some work.  i still haven't taken the time to put the four way stick in, which is the reason for the extra holes and i need to put some plexi glass over the control panel.  my boys and i are still trying to decide what art work will go on the control panel, bezel, and the side art.  the marquee didn't turn out exactly like i thought it would.  since the name of the machine is emulation universe, i wanted to have some of our favorite arcade charaters coming out of a black hole, but it dosen't look just right to me but my boys love it.  excuse there junky room.  it's supose to be a game room for them, 3 televisions, two desktops, two laptops, 3 ps2's, two xbox, two gamecubes and a xbox 360, plus the arcade machine with it's own desktop.  too much stuff in one room.  they are serious gamers.  10 and 8 yrs old and already learning python cause they want to be able to make there own games. 

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 01:40:53 am »
Sounds like your sons are well on their way.  I owe my career (Software/Systems Engineering) to my early days of downloading and configuring PC games. 

Excellent use of old recycled components.  Do you feel inspired to build another?  This stuff is addictive.

brinkwill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 08:20:21 am »
yea, i definatly plan to build another. a couple of people at work want me to build them one, so by the time i build the next one for my self i will have had plenty of experience.  though i think i'm going to go with some of the plans found around the site.  i think i'm going to go with LuSid's plans..  that way i can go with a big tv for the display.  thanks for the comments

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 08:25:03 am »
Very cool man. I need to find someone with a cab locally I can pickup and either restore or mame.. Im not very confident with my woodworking skills so I figure ill stick to the graphics and computer side of things. I digg your quick build here. Good luck with your future projects!

Neil

brinkwill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 08:37:12 am »
thanks neil, it was a quick build but now that it's pretty much got the arcade feel, i've slacked off working on it.  i know that it wont take long to put together the keyboard drawer, but i haven't even done it yet.  i'm not that good at wood working either.   there are a lot of mistake and crooked cuts on this thing.  the control panel was cut out with a jigsaw so you know it's not straight.   but you would have to see it in person to be able to tell.  i think i was able to do it quickly cause it was my first build and i wanted to see it in action.  i'll take my time on the next one i'm sure.