Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Frontline controller installed and working  (Read 4426 times)

spidermonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
Frontline controller installed and working
« on: February 08, 2003, 12:25:10 am »
Just had to share the good news. Since the Frontline rotary controller always has 1 or 2 microswitches in the closed position I wired in a small black rocker switch to cut the ground to the controller when I'm not using it. Kind of a pain to configure the controller at first. I turned the dial to a non diagonal position up/down/left/right so that only one microswitch was activated. The switches are adjustable so I loosened that one microswitch and slid it back until it was released like all the others. I then configured it in mame just like a regular joystick entering only left/right/up/down using a small flat screwdriver to activate one switch at a time. Just like a regular joystick the diagonals automaticly work once the L/R/U/D positions are entered. Once finished I slid the one microswitch back into position and tightened it up. The press down fire feature of this controller programs just like a regular push button. The controller works absolutely PERFECT !  :D Kudos to Birdtales  for supplying the controller. Thanks again.
S.M.
"Sinistar has bad breath"

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
Re:Frontline controller installed and working
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 03:20:01 pm »
Congratulations!

Coming Soon

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 03:21:57 am »
Glad to hear it worked out!

One thing.  If might have been easier to configure the controller if you used the ctrlr/ini input files.  Learning the ctrlr file layout vs taking apart the controller. *shrug*  Maybe next time, huh? ;)

BTW, http://www.mameworld.net/easyemu/mamecontrolini.htm and docs/ctrlr.txt are the best places to learn about the ctrlr/ini files.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 06:30:59 pm »
heya spidermonkey, congrats on the control working out for you. That is a great true classic all the way.

enemyace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2003, 01:23:43 pm
  • You repo men, you're all out to @!$#in' lunch!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 11:21:04 am »
Frontline! That's the game we used to play at the arcade when I was in gradeschool! I've been trying to think of the name for a long time now. It's an awesome game.

Is it possible to play it using a Tron setup with an 8-way trigger stick and optical spinner?

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2003, 08:29:21 pm »
I'm afraid not Enemyace :(
Unfortunatly the rotary controller is recognized as an 8-way joystick rather then a dial control in the mame controller setup menu. You could use your tron stick to move and fire but you have to use a second 8-way joystick for aiming the direction of fire. Thats what I did before I got the original rotary controller. Using a joystick to aim feels kind of awkward. Kinda crazy to take up space on my control panel for an oddball controller thats only used on like 3 or 4 games but I had the extra space and its one of my favorites so to me it was worth it.  ;D

enemyace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2003, 01:23:43 pm
  • You repo men, you're all out to @!$#in' lunch!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 09:53:44 am »
Damn! That game is so much fun. So I guess the spinner is not a spinner at all, it just activates different microswitches when it spins? Does it have eight different switches or just four? Plus one for pressing down, right?

Is there any way you could make a homebrew controller out of an eight position rotary switch? Kinda like 1UP did with the Discs of Tron spinner he made.

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
    • Birdtales
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2003, 10:03:31 am »
Damn! That game is so much fun. So I guess the spinner is not a spinner at all, it just activates different microswitches when it spins? Does it have eight different switches or just four? Plus one for pressing down, right?

Is there any way you could make a homebrew controller out of an eight position rotary switch? Kinda like 1UP did with the Discs of Tron spinner he made.

It has 4 microswitches (5 counting the fire switch) a cam turns on   the shaft and activates switch up then switches up/left, etc.

Coming Soon

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2003, 12:57:56 am »
Will frontline work with a standard spinner? It's been a long time since I played the game and hopefully I'll be able to play it again soon..  :)

MannyTC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2003, 01:33:28 am
  • Jack Burton... Me!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 01:54:36 am »
Spidermonkey, do you have any pics on how you mounted the controller? I have 2 of them here and not quite sure how to do it the best way. Can't seem the get the knobs off either  :-\

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
    • Birdtales
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 09:20:19 am »
Can't seem the get the knobs off either  :-\

The knob was a bit of a pain to remove. It is held on with a roll pin. I had to find a punch the proper size and tap it out.

Coming Soon

kspiff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2003, 12:16:13 am »
Aw, shucks.. I thought I'd get to do one of these first.. that's the same thing I planned to do.. but at least I can rest assured it'll work!

Got any pics? ???
k-spiff

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2003, 04:12:28 am »
Thats it dammit ! >:( I just gotta go buy a damn digital camera. Their have been so many pics that I've wanted to post to better explain my ideas and projects over the past year but I never bought a freekin camera. Time to let the moths fly outta my wallet and go buy one this week. By the way MannyTC, it definately wasn't one of the easier controls to install. Especially on a 3/4" control panel. It  was meant to mount on a metal cp but it can and has been done and as soon as I stop being so cheap I'll post some pics with my camera that I have yet to buy. ::)

kspiff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2003, 08:27:18 am »
LOL.. I have the same predicament, but I just need to go waste another $40 on the damn specialty batteries for mine.. that's my Pachislo money we're talkin' about! :P
k-spiff

MannyTC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2003, 01:33:28 am
  • Jack Burton... Me!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2003, 11:21:58 am »
These are pics of one of my frontline controllers. Does this look the same as what you guys have? I am still trying to figure out the best way to mount these and how to get the freakin' knob off without breaking the thing!

Kspiff sorry to here about those expensive batteries. Mine takes AA's and that allowed me to get my pachislo!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 12:25:21 pm by MannyTC »

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2003, 10:37:53 pm »
Yep, same thing. These were used in Frontline, Tin Star and some other western type shooting game that I can't think of right now.

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2003, 10:49:25 pm »
Uhhh oh yeh...Also used on "Wild Western" so your controller could be from any one of these games. All three Taito games use the same controller.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2003, 03:53:35 pm »
Bob Roberts has two of those controllers for sale for $15 each in his Klearance Korner....
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

kspiff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2003, 03:01:25 am »
Woah.. cool Pachislo.. I'm thinking of getting a video slot-type.. I hear those reel-types are getting harder to find.. there was this awesome looking Pac World reel-type Pachislo on ebay a few days ago from Sankyo.. but too rich for my blood (reserve = $250+). :(

Oh, well.. the best was the old-school Lupin III Pachinko (no slots), but that was a pick-up only auction out of Chicago.

Pinball first or Pachinko/slo? Another hard decision.

EDIT: Woops.. the knob?  I have yet to remove the knob, but will be going back to try again later (when I get around to hacking that particular controller).. mine had the tension pin keeping the knob on which I'd need some kind of narrow tap or insertion/removal tool to mess with.. but the knob and shaft are kept in place by an e-ring.. my plan is to just remove the e-ring (with a small flathead) and leave the knob on the shaft (if I can get it mounted to a plate and reassembled this way -- those springs and bearings are a pain to put back in).  Does anyone know of a specific tool/set for inserting and removing these tension pins?  I see them on a lot of coin doors and specialty controllers..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 04:59:38 am by kspiff »
k-spiff