Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First build from a newbie  (Read 4063 times)

JayM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2014, 11:39:17 am
First build from a newbie
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:53:53 am »
Hello everyone!

I'm a newcomer to the forum, and already spent far many hours reading all sorts of topics, trying to get into this wonderful world of arcade building.

Like most of you, I've spent a great deal of my young years in arcade saloons, spending my allowance...

I'm also interested in vintage computers and consoles, and a few weeks ago, when browsing, I somehow stumbled into MAME, and started reminiscing on the games I used to play. Further reading got me into this world, and the more I read, the more I got interested and overwhelmed by the amount of info and possibilities at stake. I HAD TO BUILD AN ARCADE !!!! :D

I then started to gather tons of info: hardware, software, materials, design, everything.

I picked up an unused PC I had laying around and set it up with WinXP and HyperSpin. Hooked it up to an old CRT and the results were indeed satisfactory.

So, I decided to start by building a smaller 3/4 scale arcade for my 5-year-old. It will be GREAT!!!

I'll then leave you with the design I adopted. It will be an upright 3/4 scale, horizontal display, 1 joystick, 6 action buttons, 2 buttons for Player 1 credit and Player 1 start and 2 admin buttons (tell me if it's enough).

This image still doesn't have the joystick and buttons, but I think you'll get an idea...

I still haven't decided on the art, but maybe Mario and Sonic, since he's a fan.

I'll gladly take any advice and suggestions from you guys.

Cheers from Portugal,

Jorge

elkameleon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
Re: First build from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:25:15 am »
I'm basically doing the same thing! (3/4th scale for my 5 year old) Check out my thread, you may be able to get some ideas, but there are projects on here way more impressive than anything I could ever do, so you are definitely in the right place, so welcome!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=117557.0

Here's one that way better than anything I could ever hope to produce.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=111377.0

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:41 am »
Since you aren't going for a trackball/spinner, have you ruled out making it 2-player?  He would probably enjoy it much more if it was playable with friends and family.

Otherwise your button setup sounds fine.  I assume the 2 admin buttons are exit and pause, otherwise you only need exit if the other button isn't pause.  You really aren't looking at that much more of an investment for 2 players unless you are using ultrastiks or electric ice buttons.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:23:15 am »
Going 3/4ths scale really constricts your elbow room for 2 players, not saying it can't be done, but can it be done comfortably? :dunno

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:27:19 am »
Going 3/4ths scale really constricts your elbow room for 2 players, not saying it can't be done, but can it be done comfortably? :dunno
But 5 years olds have little elbows.

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:32:55 am »
Did I forget to mention that daddy wants in on the action too? :lol

JayM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2014, 11:39:17 am
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:43:35 am »
Since you aren't going for a trackball/spinner, have you ruled out making it 2-player?  He would probably enjoy it much more if it was playable with friends and family.

I've thought about that. Since The control panel will be removable (with latches), I think I'll go with a 1 player setup for now. If afterwords I see that the arcade is getting lots of costumers, I can always upgrade the panel, at the cost of a new piece of mdf, some t-molding and new art.

And about the design, what do you think?

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:07:25 am »
Less elbow room is just called strategy.  If you see player 2 trying to pull of a hadouken combo you can "accidentally" give him a nudge.

And about the design, what do you think?
I really like the cabinet profile you picked.  Someone made an alien themed one, I think, that looked really good with those curves and corners.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:10:58 pm »
Less elbow room is just called strategy.  If you see player 2 trying to pull of a hadouken combo you can "accidentally" give him a nudge.

I may have missed the actual width of the panel, but I don't think the Street Fighter 2 panels were terribly wide to begin with - maybe around 22~24" tops?  There wasn't much in the way of "elbow room" in arcades.  So yeah, my vote is to make it two players considering you have a SF button setup to begin with (considering it's not as fun to play alone).

But whatever you decide, I do like the lines of the design.  Going to be interesting, this one.  :)