Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: *UPDATE - Build Complete* Another Centipede Cabinet -- 1st Cabinet - 2nd Try  (Read 31323 times)

DaveMMR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
Okay, about a year ago I posted a project announcement but had to cease construction for a little while.  Finally, this year, I forged ahead with the cabinet and since I'm pretty far along and might actually have it completed soon, I decided to pop up another project announcement.

First of all, I dropped all plans on modular panels, rotating monitors, etc. and decided to do some nice, simple swappable panels (though, adding LEDs to every button makes it less than "simple" - but it's still easier than my original ideas). 

I'm currenty finished basic construction (although there's some light sanding and puttying left to do before I head to the paint aisle).   I actually stipped the cabinet down and rebuilt it again since I wasn't happy with the mistakes I seemed to have overlooked last year.  Here's some pics:

(Above)Taken after the breakdown of my original attempt.

(above)A couple of weeks later... (only was able to do this on weekends and it rained a lot in the Northeast this summer).

(above)Test fitted in my apartment.

So, as for the cabinet plans:  it will start off with two swappable panels.  One is your basic two player layout (still deciding on the joysticks) while the other will house two trackballs (love Marble Madness) but only one set of player buttons (due to lack of space - I had to sacrifice support for those two player TB games that require buttons).  The overlays (which I am still working on) will be based on the Centipede design, of course and will also have your basic (but gorgeous) Centipede marquee and side art (already in my possession - pics to follow).

I am using a 25" WG monitor, which is sitting on my desk next to me as I type this, worrying endlessly that it's going to be broken stupidly before it has a chance to be placed in the cabinet.  Fortunately, I did a test fit and I had plenty of room to spare (the cabinet is about an inch wider, taller and deeper than an original Centipede). 

For the computer, I am using a 1.8Ghz P4 with 512MB of RAM running Windows XP Professional (didn't have Home edition on hand). 

And so forth... I'll update the thread as I make progress.  I'm hoping to be painting by week's end.  Can't wait to be vacuuming sawdust from my apartment!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 10:49:40 am by DaveMMR »

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
Re: Another Centipede Cabinet -- 1st Cabinet - 2nd Try
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 09:39:04 pm »
Wow.  I want one of these.  A scratch built Centipede with vertical monitor will definitely be my next project.

....after my bartop.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:18:16 pm »
Wow.  I want one of these.  A scratch built Centipede with vertical monitor will definitely be my next project.

....after my bartop.

Thanks.  To me, Centipede is one of the quintessential classic cabs - great lines and artwork.  It also has a decent appeal to women (Centipede's [the game] design can be attributed, in part, to a female - especially the colors), perhaps second only to Ms. Pac Man. 

The monitor in this cab, however, will be a horizontal 25" arcade standard resolution arcade monitor (24.8", whatever).  I wanted to go with a 19" but wasn't keen on spinning the monitor around for vertical games, especially since getting it to degause automatically was outside my current capabilities. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just noticed my monitor shelf slightly slopes (like 3/32") to the left.  That's something I need to fix.   That shelf gives me neverending problems.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto my control panel overlay pics.... [opinions wanted please]

The pics are at the bottom of this post.

Both of these CPOs were made in Photoshop.  Basically, what I did was download the modified Centipede CPO from the Arcade Art Library, imported it into Illustrator and resized it to my CP's size.  I then imported it into Photoshop as layers and basically 'moved everything around', making sure to only shrink when needed (never enlarge).  Looking at it at 100%, it looks smooth and clean. 

The first panel incorporates a seven button layout.  The buttons are spaced out 1.5 inches apart (though I may tighten them slightly).  The joystick centers are 3 inches from the leftmost buttons (is that enough?).  I'll probably be using 49-ways, so I may have to move things over a bit to account for the floppy cable connector.  The buttons will all be Electric Ice buttons with RGB LEDs (thus explaining all my recent kvetching about dual LedWiz support).

The trackball panel left me slightly heartbroken.  I originally wanted two trackballs with three buttons each.  Unfortunately, it proved to be a bit cramped with that setup.   I realized that the only reason I wanted the dual ball setup was for Marble Madness, so I decided to just ditch one set of buttons.   This means I'll miss out on a couple of good games and it may seem to some as a waste, but hey, at least now the panel is ambidextrous.  The balls are both 3 inch and of the Electric Ice variety - also housing an RGB LED.

One final note - I simplified the standard graphics found on an actual Centipede CPO.   I'm actually more of a fan of the background stripes and starburst than I am of the foreground mushrooms.  There's also intentionally nothing around the buttons (the lighted buttons are more than enough pretty-pretty).

And, of course, disregard the JPEG compression.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:22:32 pm by DaveMMR »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 01:23:31 am »
Looks great!

:cheers:

Cheers.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Crafty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2009, 11:32:25 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:19:11 pm »
CP artwork looks nice.

Classic design not overworked... :cheers:
A Bad Day Playing Is Better Than a Good Day Working

Timoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 11:36:21 am »
I have always been a fan of this layout.  The curved button layout really goes with the classic arcadey feel of the art and the button spacing plays well.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 05:52:22 pm »
I have always been a fan of this layout.  The curved button layout really goes with the classic arcadey feel of the art and the button spacing plays well.

I like that layout too, and was considering it for some time (besides the fact it was the artwork I used to make my custom CPO).  Except that I basically prefer a straight layout over a curved.  It's much easier to "find" the buttons when they're at a single, constant height than when they all step up individually, especially for games that use a lot of buttons (e.g. Defender, Mortal Kombat).  There's nothing wrong with that layout, just not my cup of tea (just like I prefer a regular keyboard to the Microsoft Natural Keyboard).

So let me throw a question out to those who would know:  Is 3 inches between joystick center and leftmost button centers enough?  Should I go a little wider?  Any opinion on this would be most appreciated.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 11:35:33 pm »
I really hate painting...  :badmood:

It's not that I'm messing it up.  On the contrary, it's looking quite nice (though the opposite side needs a better sanding).  It's just such a messy thing to do for someone as unorganized as me.  Plus I have the world's loudest power sander and I feel that I'm a minute away from my upstairs neighbor beating me over the head with that Ryobi loudmouth.

Here's a pic of the first coat of "Ultra White"

Hopefully I can have the cab all painted by the end of the week, though I'll have to wait another 10 days on top of that to add the sideart. 

P.S. - The foil paper on the control panel is to so the wood putty I added to the lip will shape properly and won't stick to the wood.  It'll look ugly but it's going to be covered by an overlay anyhow.

Crafty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 10:50:31 pm »

I have the world's loudest power sander and I feel that I'm a minute away from my upstairs neighbor beating me over the head with that Ryobi loudmouth.

Just offer him a few free games...

Surely when he sees what you are working on he will understand

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games

I have the world's loudest power sander and I feel that I'm a minute away from my upstairs neighbor beating me over the head with that Ryobi loudmouth.

Just offer him a few free games...

Surely when he sees what you are working on he will understand

I warned him actually that I may be running a very loud power sander in the early evenings.  He shruged his shoulders and went back to his cigarette.  I love those responses.

So anyway, I finished the painting - which is something I had to force myself to do since I keep seeing 'imperfections'.  Added the T-Molding with minimal problems (though when I cut a few notches, I accidentally sliced the side of the T-Molding in a couple of places - it's not noticable at all unless you look for it and it's an easy, cheap fix down the road).

After putting my speakers in and firing up the iPod to test it out, I went to work on the marquee.  Unfortunately, I may have ordered it slightly too big because my retainers (actually ceiling grid retainers) cover up too much in my opinion.  I need to sleep on whether or not I'll reorder another one or live with it for now.   Also, there's some light leakage on the side, but that's easy to fix.

Here are a couple of more pictures.

The monitor's not mounted yet.  I just wanted it off my computer desk.

Crafty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 12:32:58 am »
Looking Good...

Neighbour issue seems a non-issue..

Some people just don't mind... Others well we see those on the news...

psychotech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 05:37:42 pm »
Looks mighty FINE!

Keep up the good work!

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 11:56:36 pm »
So since my last update, I ended up getting a new job, girlfriend and financial obligations.  My cabinet still received some attention, but not as much as it used to.   The finish line is so close, but still a little out of reach at this point.  But here's what I've accomplished so far:

Added the side artwork  That was a disaster.  I followed the 'wet method' but I still managed to rip a few pieces of the art while getting a few cat hairs under the adhesive.  Once I got it all on it's not terribly noticable, but I suppose new side artwork somewhere down the road won't be a terrible investment.  I realized what I did wrong... but... eh, still looks fine.

Fitted the bezel with the monitor sitting unattached.   I wish it were blue, but what can you do (and no, not painting it -- if I mess it up it's another $50 in shipping!). 

Cut wires for the wiring interface  It's a lot of wires because I have to deal with all those LEDs.  In the end there will be three 40-pin connectors worth, though only one of those will really be used to capacity.  I'll explain more in detail once I finalize the wiring.

For the immediate future, I still have to secure the arcade monitor.  I also intend to trim the marquee retainers (plastic ceiling brackets) about a half an inch so I can see the top and bottom of the artwork.  I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. 

MovingTarget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 10:57:09 am »
Looks really really nice.  I like your control panels and I'm a huge fan of Centipede, it was my fav. back in the day and by far the most played game on my cab.

Could you talk a little more about that side artwork?  What is it made of?  How much was it? etc.

ArtMAME

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2020, 12:59:17 pm
  • Hey where the ARCADE MACHINES at???
    • Art's Arcade Lab
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 11:34:10 am »
Great job!!!  I was gonna do a scratch-built Centipede cabinet until I got one at the auction.  I have to put parts in it now to restore it. 

I may still make one in the future, but I actually want to try for a scratch-built Centipede mini-cabaret next.

The finish line is indeed near.  Good luck  :cheers:   

"Klaatu. .. Verada. ...... Necktie...Nectar...Nickel..."

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 01:49:55 pm »
Thanks for the compliments guys. 

To answer your question, MovingTarget, the artwork came from Phoenix Arcade (http://www.phoenixarcade.com/art.htm) and, after shipping, came to about $100 for the set.  It's self-adhesive vinyl and quite durable, until you take the backing off (I'll explain).

I take my sideart as an example of how bad you can  :censored: up something and still have it look pretty good.  I mean, it was a disaster when I applied it...

Like Carlos' Centipede, I had to trim around the art itself since my cab is deeper than a standard Centipede.  My mistake was that I didn't have masking tape on the front to keep the loose bits (e.g.: the antenaes) from going wild.  So part of it hit the floor and picked up cat hairs.  Then some parts folded onto the back, sometimes ripping when I tried to free it.  Somehow, I managed to line everything back up (the "wet method" helps you undo mistakes, for a little while at least), even the rips, and it looks fine.  I'm still picking out little cat hairs and I have to re-adhesive a few small parts, but all-in-all, it looks pretty good.

With the long weekend, I may begin my hours and hours of soldering.  I still don't have the sticks, but at least I can have the interface ready for when I do. 

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 08:46:51 am »
Looking really good.  Everytime I see a scratch-built Centipede I get the urge to make one myself.

Nice work!

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 11:46:09 pm »
Thanks for the compliments.

I had a few moments so I (very) hastily threw together a test panel with a b&w print out of my overlay.  It plays pretty decent (tested out with Centipede).  The left trackball is pretty much only for Marble Madness, but the start buttons are still a little too close for comfort, so I may switch the icons and cones for the final printout.   Next up, joystick panel.

P.S. - The mounting plates will of course not be visible in the end product.  You can't route cardboard. ;-)

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 01:35:31 am »
I can guess, but what is the "wet method" for applying stickers.  I'm assuming you spray down the wood with water?

NightGod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 06:13:25 am »
I can guess, but what is the "wet method" for applying stickers.  I'm assuming you spray down the wood with water?
Water with just a drop or so of liquid soap in it-basically just enough to change the surface tension of the water. You can also get bottles of spray to do it with at places that sell window tint, but it's really just water with a drop of liquid soap in it, anyway.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
A lot changes in eight months.   I'm moving for the second time, the side art got ruined because I stored the cabinet in cold weather (and the adhesive wasn't doing the trick), and I decided to have a "do-all most more" main panel.

I'm not a big fan of cluttered panels, but I decided to stick a trackball on the main panel for a few reasons.  One: the place I'm moving into has frequent visitors, and I can imagine having to stop and frequently change panels for the easily intimidated.  Second: I am also lazy and don't feel like swapping out panels for the occasional trackball game.

In the above picture, I took my layout and printed it out full size as a guide.

I cut out the "in-between" pictures (ooh and sorry this is so blurry), but this is basically my hastily assembled test-panel.  If it works out okay, it can become permanent (but I don't mind losing the wood if it doesn't).  The 2P joystick may be getting in the way of the trackball, but I need to see to what extent.  I don't foresee Golden Tee in my future, but I will balk if it kills my game of Marble Madness.

Yes, I know the sticks are stubby right now - I haven't had the chance to pick up the longer handles for the P360s. 

This is a rough draft of the CPO for reference.  I still plan on making a two player TB panel, but I'm putting that on the back-burner for the time being.

Hopefully I'll have the drive to finally finish this cabinet after all these years....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 11:34:47 pm by DaveMMR »

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
Here is the panel test fitted into the cabinet (I can't wait until I have more room to work on this...)

It seems to play fine with some quick tests.  Even the trackball placement, while not ideal for Golden Tee (don't like that game anyhow) is fine for most TB games (a dedicated dual TB panel is still in the works anyhow). 

I noticed that I went just a wee bit to close to the lip, and the nuts of the mounting plate conflict with the front.  I have two choices: either I route into the panel to sink the nuts (and cut off excess), or I route a little space off the front-back lip.  That's something to ponder...   

Otherwise, outside of a few simple modifications and fixes, I'm quite please with it.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
It seems to play fine with some quick tests.  Even the trackball placement, while not ideal for Golden Tee (don't like that game anyhow) is fine for most TB games (a dedicated dual TB panel is still in the works anyhow). 

I noticed that I went just a wee bit to close to the lip, and the nuts of the mounting plate conflict with the front.  I have two choices: either I route into the panel to sink the nuts (and cut off excess), or I route a little space off the front-back lip.  That's something to ponder...   
I'd recommend playing your favorite trackball game(s) for about 10 minutes each and see if the placement is a problem.  If it is a problem, and if you are not big into two player fighting games, you could gain a couple of inches by going with 4 buttons/player instead of 6 and moving the pattern to the right.  Just an idea.

I had the same nut/mounting plate interference problem on my last project.  I chose to route out some wood from the front plate.

Welcome back. 

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games

I'd recommend playing your favorite trackball game(s) for about 10 minutes each and see if the placement is a problem.  If it is a problem, and if you are not big into two player fighting games, you could gain a couple of inches by going with 4 buttons/player instead of 6 and moving the pattern to the right.  Just an idea.

I had the same nut/mounting plate interference problem on my last project.  I chose to route out some wood from the front plate.

Welcome back. 

Thanks for the "welcome back".  Seems I always take the cold months off with this project and return to it every spring. 

I hooked up the TB and a single button quickly to the opti-pac and played a few test games.  It seems to work out quite well, and I never once felt like the P2 joystick was too much "in the way".   I even tried the "ulimate test": Golden Tee.   It wasn't great, but satisfactory - but that game from my hand hitting the monitor (I placed the panel at approx. the same distance it would be from the actual arcade glass).  The 10" depth was never intended for GT, and it's not a priority to play anyway.

Good thing it works out, since I do like Street Fighter 2 enough to warrant the 6-button layout.  ;)

Thanks for the tips.  I'll keep doing more tests in the meantime until the next step.

PsychoAU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 12:27:19 am
DaveMMR:

I recently got my hands on an old Centipede cabinet and am twisting my brain trying to figure out how to build a good control panel for it.  I really like what you've done with yours (that you managed to get a TB in the middle of the small panel).  Can you give me the information on your panel?  Mainly, I am looking for exact dimensions of the pieces so I can try to build my own soon. 

Would you happen to have a Visio file of your template?

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
It seemed really hard to get any momentum on this project due to numerous distractions, but it's finally fully playable.  I won't call the project complete just yet - there's software bugs to work out and a great deal of clean up:

On my to-do list here:
  • Touch-Up paint
  • Put real glass in and fix bezel
  • Clean up messy wiring (not shown)

The control panel is comfortable for all the controls (except Golden Tee obviously).  I made a goof when applying the overlay and there's a bump that keeps popping up.  I can flatten it down but it pops back up after a few minutes.  That's something I either have to try to fix or ignore.

So the specs:
I'm running a Mala front end with actual 25" arcade monitor on a XP system with a custom -made Centipede-Themed layout (see below).  Credits register with actual coin-door and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln.

;D

Berdman000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2012, 10:53:21 pm
You did a great job on the cab. Im doing almost the same project and was wondering if you could send me a copy of the CPO file you used.
Thanks
It's only time man, just trying to enjoy the ride.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
Thanks. I will see if I still have it though. It's been a while. I will PM you either way.

EDIT: Just checked and I can't find it.  May have accidentally ended up in my mass-purging of files when I needed some hard drive space a while ago (I should have backed it up but I can't find it). I'll keep looking though, but I think I just basically took the available vector file of the original panel, scaled it up a bit, and then did some cutting, pasting and cleaning up in Photoshop.

What sucks is that I'm going to have to redo it for if and when I decide to fix up the cab.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:20:07 pm by DaveMMR »

Junai

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2015, 10:13:24 am
holy crap, a kentucky fried movie refrence!  nice work btw also.

Berdman000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2012, 10:53:21 pm
Awesome, thanks for looking.
It's only time man, just trying to enjoy the ride.