Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: blink effect?  (Read 4709 times)

dibb1er

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2010, 07:14:38 am
blink effect?
« on: July 10, 2006, 06:11:23 am »
is it possible to make a part of the skin blink?

in other words, can i select a part of the skin to flick between a dark texture and a light texture at a set interval?

i know that we can change parts of the skin at certain triggers (e.g. the popular light, when a button is depressed...), so i was just wondering if what i am after is possible or not.

to give you an idea of what i am thinking of doing (if possible  ???  ), is to get the neon(?) in the AJ8 skin to flicker on and off.

p.s. keep up the good work. can't wait for the new update  :notworthy:

MrD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2020, 04:34:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: blink effect?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:13:00 am »
Maybe some kind of animated GIF would work?   I'm not sure if they can be used in a skin now or not.

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 07:38:07 am »
Maybe some kind of animated GIF would work?   I'm not sure if they can be used in a skin now or not.

hmm... nope...

just tried it, doesnt seem to like gifs 

thanks for the suggestion anyway. 

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 02:03:52 am »
Sorry, GIFs are not supported due to patent issues (although I think the patent may have expired...).

If there is demand for this, I could add multiple frames for icons, with each frame being a separate image... I would have to support a frame rate and a loop setting for each icon.  Hmm.  This probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to do if each frame was a separate image.  For loop settings, I guess it would be best to support a mode (forward or forward and back) and a loop count (number of times to loop or infinite).  These would replace the OnImage and OffImage, so the settings could be different for each, and if it was mapped to MSG_START it would just run forever.  Is there demand for this?  Is that a silly question? 

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 05:22:29 am »
a demand?
no, was just wondering if was possible with the current code.
So, dont put yourself out on my account, I think wincab is perfect for my needs as is (erm... except for the id tag stuff   ;)

chipsdad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2014, 12:03:09 pm
  • Chip and Dale
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 09:00:39 am »
This would be cool if you wanted to use a mechanism graphic.  Turning record/cd.
I love Windows ME.  Blue is my favorite color.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 03:02:10 pm »
This would be cool if you wanted to use a mechanism graphic.  Turning record/cd.
Hmm.  Would need a message for the inter-song pause; that's easy enough to add.

While I'm on that subject, are there any other state messages that should be detectable?  Actually, that sounds like a new thread...
--Chris

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 09:05:56 am »
Sorry, GIFs are not supported due to patent issues (although I think the patent may have expired...).

did a little reading tonight, and noticed that (supposedly) the final patents on the GIF format ran out on 1st October.

did a little more reading, and noticed  that regardless of whether the above is 100% true or not, the decoding (i.e. displaying) of GIF files is allowed without fear of having to pay royalties (although you might want to double check this).

um, hope this helps, as i assume from xk's "1957 Rock-ola" thread that you are thinking about animation in one form or another.....

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 11:23:13 am »

did a little reading tonight, and noticed that (supposedly) the final patents on the GIF format ran out on 1st October.

did a little more reading, and noticed  that regardless of whether the above is 100% true or not, the decoding (i.e. displaying) of GIF files is allowed without fear of having to pay royalties (although you might want to double check this).

um, hope this helps, as i assume from xk's "1957 Rock-ola" thread that you are thinking about animation in one form or another.....
Yes, but I'm not sure animated GIFs are worth the effort.  I was planning to use a list of still images; if I use animated GIFs it'd probably be a support nightmare dealing with all the little features and inconsistencies and such.  If I plan it well, you'll be able to pull off some really neat tricks; if I don't plan well it has the potential to be a performance and memory hog that will do more harm than good.  It does require a fairly complete rebuild of the structures and the skin reader, though, and of course I want to try to keep backward compatibility, so it's not anything that's going to appear overnight.

I haven't wanted to talk about it too much because I'm afraid of "over-promising", and my free time has been so limited I haven't been able to pay proper attention to it, but the idea is that you'll have image lists that can animate once or loop, and the loop can either be forward or forward and backward; you can set animations to either synch to themselves or to the master clock.  You can also have images changed based on values, and if I do it right those images could also be animations.  Probably the harest part will be creating the parameters to define this all in the skin file in some coherent fashion.

I could probably support basic animated GIFs with consistent frame rates; I'll look into it.
--Chris