Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Grayhound skill crane codes.  (Read 10938 times)

candyman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2008, 10:36:33 am
Grayhound skill crane codes.
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:39:46 pm »
Hi all,
 I have a Atlas skill crane with a Grayhound (rev.2) cpu. I have been looking hi & low for a manual for it, but have been unable to find one. It keeps flashing codes when plugged in for about 5 minutes before it starts working properly. The codes are-5,11,19,92. Could someone tell me what these codes are?
Thanks and have a SWEET DAY!

D_Zoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:59:37 pm
  • Sorry if I get any spit on you...
Re: Grayhound skill crane codes.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 03:48:01 pm »
Have you got, or can you take a picture of the CPU board?

I've got many Greyhound cranes and some documentation for them.   In all the work I've done with them I've never heard mention that the display numbers meant anything specific on startup (at least it's not documented in the paperwork I have).  Usually I take a symptom based approach to repairing them.

Anyway, If you can get a pic of the board, so I can see which one it is, maybe I can help you out.

D

candyman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 05:58:54 pm »
  Here is a pic of the cpu. To go over it again in more detail, when first powered up, there is a clicking (from the coin lock outs I think) and the flashing of codes in the credit display. this will repeat over and over for about 2-5 min.. If I disconnect briefly the connector on the relay pcb (con. goes to coin door and button controls) than game will reset and work fine all day. I have checked voltages and made sure connections are good and tight.
Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 06:01:38 pm by candyman »

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 08:56:50 pm »
What are your dip switch settings set on?

6- should be OFF if you don't have a ticket dispenser.

8- ON is for the self-test (all others OFF)

The codes you gave sound like the date code for the software.
(5) May (11) 11th - 1992
Move the carriage by hand to the center of the machine.
Is the carriage (some call it bridge) returning to it's "home" position when you reset the machine?

But can look into that farther.... I have some documentation for my Candyshop (grayhound) same board you have. There is not much out there on these.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:03:51 pm by Kevin Mullins »
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 09:39:44 pm »
8- ON is for the self-test (all others OFF)

While in self test mode (dipswitch 8 ON) you have to use dip switches 1 through 4 to activate the tests:
To activate a test, turn the corresponding dipswitch ON.

1. - Display Test  (displays 0-9 n each segment of the displays) 
2. - Switch Test  (you have to activate the switches and watch display for reaction)
3. - Auto Bridge Test  (will cycle the claw carriage)
4. - Sound Test (cyles through all the tunes)

candyman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 09:56:34 pm »
Kevin,
 Thanks for the test info.. First- the carrage will return to home when the game finally resets. I have all dips set to off, I did know that dip #8 was for selftest, but did not know what to do after that. Also you mentioned #4 dip in test mode is for sound, mine does not seem to have sound (or speakers) what kind of sound could (or should )it have?
 I have this game at my candy store and it has proven to be a great money maker. I want to make sure it stays reliable and that this minor problem does not become a big problem with alot of down time.
Thanks again for your help/info

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 11:06:43 pm »
My little "Candyshop" crane can play a couple (two) different tunes every so often in the attract mode, and also plays a little tune every time you "win" something. It has a speaker mounted on the left side right below where the joystick is. (can't miss it on this particular cab) But yours may be a bit different. I'll look at my boardset again and see where the speaker actually ties into it. It's listed in my documentation as an "enhancement", so it may have been an "option" type thing. I would think your software would still actually have the tunes on it though. (?)
Do you have a pic of your crane you can share by chance?

Try this:

With the machine turned off.....
Flip dipswitch 8 and 3 ON.
Turn the machine back on......

This should start the bridge test and it should be cycling the entire carriage and claw through all it's motions. And shouldn't stop until you turn it off. (repeats itself)

With the machine turned off.....
Flip dipswitch 8 and 2 ON.
Turn the machine back on......

Now you can test all the switches. I am most interested in the claw up limit switch.
Move activate the claw with the button, when the claw comes back to the full up position there should be a number 5 on the "time" display. This needs to work consistantly in order for it to send the carriage to the home position.

Question:
So if the carriage is in the center of the machine, put it there by hand if need be, does it move to the home position when you turn the machine on?
Or does it only do this after fiddling with the connectors and it finally resets?
And can you get it to reset at all by just turning the machine on and off a few times?

Sounds like you have a simple problem somewhere. But the intermittent ones can be a pain sometimes.
It could possibly be just be a bad connection, solder point, switch, or faulty relay.
I'll try to put together a copy of the info I have. Sometimes it's easier to just read it yourself and run through the tests.
Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:12:55 pm by Kevin Mullins »

testfly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2022, 07:11:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 07:59:13 pm »
Kevin, could you share the info you have as I am trying to trouble shoot a claw machine I picked up off FB. Its seen much better days as I will build another cabinet but would like to use what I can get working of this one. The display shows  8  2  1987 when I first turn it on then I get all 0s.

testfly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2022, 07:11:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 12:19:47 am »
I am happy to report that I was able to repair the system and I have it working proper.