Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 3" HAPP Trackball vs Electric ICE-T  (Read 8750 times)

Czapala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2009, 11:04:35 am
3" HAPP Trackball vs Electric ICE-T
« on: July 07, 2006, 12:57:24 pm »
Instead of bumping the thread in the Main Forum I thought I would ask again in this one.

Has anyone done a comparison between a 3" HAPP trackball illuminated and an Electric ICE-T
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 09:58:24 pm by saint »
.... then my daughter said "Daddy, those games are old."

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
Re: 3" HAPP Trackball vs Electric ICE-T
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 08:05:47 pm »
I just tested out a pair of trackballs.  Both are Happs, but one has the Electric Ice upgrade kit (sans lighting at the moment) and the other a standard white 3" ball.  The regular ball has slightly more heft and spins a little cleaner, plus it feels smooth.   On the other hand, the EI lights up, and the differences are neglible. 

Yes, my tests were hasty and very unscientific, but as such, I haven't any qualms with the Electric Ice upgrade kit.   

Czapala

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2009, 11:04:35 am
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 11:42:53 am »
Thanx for the post and the Info !  I was beginning to wonder if I had asked something wrong.  But from your Post and a couple of others I have talked to I will be getting a HAPP and then maybe later grabbing an ICE-T upgrade kit.

When you were using the HAPP was it a translucent ball or a solid? and do you know if there is a difference between those?

:cheers:
.... then my daughter said "Daddy, those games are old."

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 01:39:02 pm »
I was using the solid ball (white if that makes any difference).  If I jam my open palm across both trackballs, the solid white Happs has slightly more spin time (not much though). 

Also, another factor I forgot to mention:  the Happs Trackball with the solid white ball was the one I bought used, while the EI upgrade ball was installed on a new assembly.  As I said, very hasty, unscientific tests.  YMMV

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: 3" HAPP Trackball vs Electric ICE-T™ Deluxe RGB Arcade Trackball
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 07:01:15 pm »
Just one note and then I will butt out;

The EI trackball is not the same as a HAPP with the EI ball upgrade. 

To really compare the two, you need to get an actual EI trackball or an upgraded unit that has the TB booster kit installed.  The resolution of the EI TB is about 2.5x that of the HAPP, so it needs to be spun less than half as hard and continue to spin less than half as long for the same effect.

RandyT

BlinKY1337

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2013, 11:06:36 am
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:20:42 pm »
Man I cant wait to get my Electric ICE-T  Deluxe RGB Arcade Trackball  ;D

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
Re: 3" HAPP Trackball vs Electric ICE-T™ Deluxe RGB Arcade Trackball
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 05:58:36 am »
just want to add here as well. I have a Betson/Imperial 3" trackball. I purchased the trackball booster kit from Randy and it was like night and day. It really does track much better, and more accurately, to really give it a true test i recommend a game like gridiron fight. Once your guy is runnin, stop and turn every which way and start jukin out the AI defense, they cant touch ya! Proof is in the puddin....or something, uh huh huh huh huh.

ardarvin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2008, 08:45:58 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 12:36:52 pm »
I too am deciding between the Happ and the Electric IceT.

I'm curious of one thing: is the 2.5x resolution increase in the IceT a good thing?

I'm looking for an "as close to the original game" experience (but want the bling of a light-up ball...yes I'll have my cake and eat it too).

Since I plan on using the ball for a lot of golf games, I'm worried a 2.5x resolution increase won't feel the same...i.e. a itty bitty roll will be a huge drive.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 02:32:03 pm »
Since I plan on using the ball for a lot of golf games, I'm worried a 2.5x resolution increase won't feel the same...i.e. a itty bitty roll will be a huge drive.

That's what sensitivity adjustments are for ;)  You can always reduce without major issue.  The inverse, however is not true.

RandyT

ardarvin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2008, 08:45:58 pm
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 03:53:42 pm »
Thanks Randy! I was hoping you'd say something like that. Look for my order soon :)