Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Short Pushbuttons  (Read 1835 times)

SteveJ34

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 12:29:40 am
Short Pushbuttons
« on: April 08, 2002, 08:04:33 am »
This weekend brought me a little closer to getting my mame cab project complete. I finished up the control panel top with button and trackball cutouts which has been constructed out of 5/8 MDF.

I added a few push buttons on the front of the cp box and one each on left and right side front corners to use as pinball flippers later.

Alas, I did not consider the internal length of the happ's pushbuttons on each corner, with one coming from the front and one coming from the side there is not enough room inside.

I've search Happs and Wico sites trying to determine if I can find a shorter button that I can use either for both or at least for one of these so I can fit two buttons in each of these corners.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

aramis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2002, 09:24:04 pm
  • mame cab ALMOST done!
Re: Short Pushbuttons
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2002, 02:02:20 pm »
If you are using the Happs Ultimate PB's, the Horizontal PB's are a bit shorter (and are a better PB, anyways).

If you are already using the Horizontals, then maybe look for some older leaf-switch PBs. I'm not sure, but I believe they would be shorter than even the Horizontals, although the switch is also "offset" from the actual button centerline.

SteveJ34

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 12:29:40 am
Re: Short Pushbuttons
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2002, 07:39:03 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

Here's a followup to my original post....

I'm using Happs Horizontals and agree with the thought that leaf switch will probably be the way to go. Side step space is not a problem if I used for each switch on the side panels.

I've got 1 inch of clearance between the inside of the box and to the point of the other switch which is coming from the front side.

Does anyone have experience with short leaf switches from Wico or other supplier that can take a measurement to determine if:

a. these will work with 5/8 MDF for mounting?
b. fall within 1 inch of clearance on the other side?

That is, edge of button to furthest point must fall within 1 5/8 inches.

Thanks in advance to any and all who might be able to provide assistance.