Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Battle Chasers Upright - Frankenpanel started!  (Read 25562 times)

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
First off, I'm with you on the heat.  110 outside here, right now.  We already hit 117 once this year, and it's been 105+ for the last two weeks with no end in sight.  Plus, my air conditioner at the house is broken, just to make things interesting.  Hang in there, and have another beer.

As to scrapping your current project:  What have you learned so far?  If you start over with MDF now, you'll probably be able to do a much better job on the cabinet.  Think that's a reason to start over?  NO!  What will you learn as you complete the rest of the project?  If you don't finish, but instead start over, you'll build the "good" cab body, based on the experience you've already gained, and then you'll get to the parts you have no experience with yet, and start making new mistakes.  Then you'll get disgusted, since you've now "screwed up" TWO of the things, and quit entirely.  Then, you'll probably just end up an old, bitter drunk on some slacker, asshat internet forum where nobody ever builds anything, or switch to model rockets, or something.  ;)

Finish up, learn the rest of your lessons, and then, when it's done, you can do the next one with all that experience under your belt.

Boz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2021, 09:24:11 am
    • Battle Chasers Upright Cabinet
Re: Battle Chasers Upright (the build continues)
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2006, 01:37:52 am »
Plus, my air conditioner at the house is broken, just to make things interesting.

Did you get your air fixed graus-hauppa? WAY too freaking hot to not have air. How'd you survive? Animals and family all good?

Quote from: Kremmit
you'll probably just end up an old, bitter drunk on some slacker, asshat internet forum where nobody ever builds anything
Oh NO! I'm doomed now, aren't I? I was thinkin to myself a couple of days ago that I haven't had a lot of comments from the "old-timers" on my cab. Once in that other place, I figured out where they are all hangin' out. (of course the other reason would be that I'm not necessarily doing anything new here. It's big, but it's still just a basic cabinet.)

...the satisfaction of actually finishing the thing through all the troubles will make it an even more glorious occasion to celebrate.

Thanks for the pick-me-up though I'm not sure I'll be celebrating *this* one. The truth is that I set my expectations a little high. I set a deadline of this coming Friday to have everything done (including the CP) and with the heat and everything else I've complained about in this build, my expectations were WAY too aggressive. I'll probably breath a sigh of relief rather than celebrate.

Nobody here wants to see a project scrapped so if you do just make sure its for the right reasons and not because you are discouraged at the mistakes you have made.

A truer statement could not have been uttered. I don't actually mind my mistakes. I consider them "battle scars" of experience that I'll draw on to build a MissionControl-class cabinet someday. If I were to scrap it, it would be for the constant, weather-based, changes I have to make every day.

For the rough cuts, two things-first, you want a higher tooth count saw blade. We're talking 100ish-they're generally called "Finishing blades". Second, cut from the back side of the wood, you'll get a cleaner cut on the smooth side.

If I hadn't already cut all the major pieces, this would be my FIRST task for tomorrow as I continue working this delapidated structure. I have so little experience with wood (let alone different types of wood) that I had no idea the cuts I was making weren't supposed to be coming out that way. So far, I've only blamed the wood. If I cut veneer again, I'll certainly have one of these finishing blades. It's veneered on both sides, so both sides experience the problems.

Quote from: NightGod
Third-I second the stick-with-it suggestion. Take a couple of days, get some rest and perspective (and let the wood reshape back to level) and then jump back in.
Quote from: Kremmit
Finish up, learn the rest of your lessons, and then, when it's done, you can do the next one with all that experience under your belt.

Thanks for all the comments 'gents. I've kind of re-established my expectations for this first cabinet of mine and set them somewhere more achievable. In retrospect, my biggest problems haven't been necessarily the wood (yes, I've thought about this). My problem was my expectations of quality and speed with a rediculous deadline I had set for myself. I saw the FIRST cab that Bones built, and thought "hell, it can't be *that* hard to build a quality cabinet, can it?" (No offense intended, Bones ;). Apparently it *is* that hard for the uber novice...me)

So, I'll finish this one, but I've dropped any considerations for a time-frame. My goal of finishing this cabinet before I started my new job (three weeks) was pretty aggressive given it's my first cabinet plus I only have a few wood-working projects under my belt to be tackling something as complicated as this.

Tomorrow

o  Framing in the casters on the rear of the cabinet to keep them from swivelling (sp?).
o  Cut coin door opening (from hopefully accurate blowup on Happs website)
o  Mount coin door panel.
o  Mount plane at bottom of marquee
o  Mount control panel support
o  Buy MDF for the control panel dimensions I *actually want*
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 06:21:07 pm by In2ishun »

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
Re: Battle Chasers Upright (the build continues)
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2006, 02:51:10 pm »
Plus, my air conditioner at the house is broken, just to make things interesting.

Did you get your air fixed graus-hauppa? WAY too freaking hot to not have air. How'd you survive? Animals and family all good?

Luckily, I've got one room with it's own standalone air conditioner we're holing up in until the new AC unit gets installed, this Thursday and Friday.

Boz

• Offline Offline
Re: Battle Chasers Upright
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2006, 10:33:37 pm »
NON Update: 8/17/2006

Some may be wondering whether or not I was still working on this cabinet. Yes. Car expenses, rediculous heat, and a new job have cut my progress to nothing. However, things are calming down a bit and I expect to be getting back into it as soon as I don't need 2 gallons of water in my body to work outdoors again, and have recovered, financially, from the expenses I incurred in July.

While I'm waiting for summer to end, I am working on my CP layout, computer for the cabinet, and artwork.

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2006, 05:00:33 am »
Update: 9/28/2006

Although I haven't updated in a while, I've been fairly busy. Without going into too much detail, here's some of the things I've been attacking...

The Billabs monitor I bought had my horizontal output transistor go bad (or, as it was put to me, "your HOT is bad.") I haven't taken the time to replace the chassis, but will soon.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=57316.0

Control panel designing, which included the arduous task of having to learn how to do the most fundamental tasks in Illustrator.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=58543.0
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=58399.0

Investigating a bit of how Mame 108 works as I was considering building my own front end
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=57810.0

Setting up the computer I plan to use for the cabinet including the goal of all builders... hiding Windows completely.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=57435.0
Oh... and getting the Arcade VGA card running properly. (which had to stop when I stuffed up my monitor
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=57017.0
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=57005.0

I purchased an amplifier for the speakers I am going to be using. This thing is pretty powerful
http://tinyurl.com/jqez2

Getting taken to school on how to do some good control panel wiring
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=50889.msg528480#msg528480

The heat has abated in Phoenix and the rain looks to have stopped until the beginning of the next monsoon season. I have a lot of loose ends hanging around right now and I'm scurrying to get a lot more done before the cabinet is due for it's debut at a 30+ Thanksgiving dinner. This coming weekend should be a good one for progress.

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2006, 03:13:59 am »
Update: 9/28/2006

Progress is being made on the control panel overlay which, in hindsight, should have started doing MONTHS before I cut my first piece of wood. I know I've harped on this before, but artwork and lack of knowledge of the applications you need to create it (Illustrator) is my biggest deficiency.

I added 3 of 4 characters that I'd like to have on the control panel though nothing is set in stone yet. As I move forward I'll be changing placement and scale for the characters to reflect a nice balance. The progress image below doesn't show that the characters will be placed "underneath" the other objects on the overlay.

Here's the thread in the Artwork forum where I'm taking suggestions from the peanut gallery
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=58543.0

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 03:17:09 am by In2ishun »

NightGod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2006, 11:34:17 am »
I'll tell you from personal experience with a huge-ass control panel-you'll need a metric fuckton of wire (figure twice what you think you'll need and you'll probably be getting close) and it will take more time than you think. Honestly, I think I have as much time sunk into the CP as the rest of the cabinet. If you are planning on a Thanksgiving launch, get started on it sooner rather than later-you'll be greatful for the extra time two months from now.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2006, 10:46:30 pm »
I'll tell you from personal experience with a huge-ass control panel-you'll need a metric fuckton of wire (figure twice what you think you'll need and you'll probably be getting close) and it will take more time than you think. Honestly, I think I have as much time sunk into the CP as the rest of the cabinet. If you are planning on a Thanksgiving launch, get started on it sooner rather than later-you'll be greatful for the extra time two months from now.

Yeah... I was just thinking this. I wired my little test CP (the one in the first page of this thread) and it took quite a while for just simple stuff. There wasn't any wire managment involved either. I'm really intent on a turkey day launch so I may have to take a couple of days of work to do the cabinet stuff then do the CP wiring at night.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 05:19:29 pm by In2ishun »

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2006, 11:13:44 pm »
Update: 10/1/2006

It's been a fairly productive weekend and that's what I was hoping for.

Control Panel Overlay
I managed to get the control panel design out of the way and it's ready for the printers now. I took it up to Kinko's and about the only draw back (other than the fact that it's "Kinkos") is that they only have Illustrator CS installed. I created my artwork in CS2. I'm not really sure what features of CS2 I've used that will not show up or look right in CS. In any event, I'm going to be looking around tomorrow for local printers that can print large format graphics using Illustrator CS2. I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to find someone who uses polypropylene, but I'll take any half-way decent vinyl that looks good when printed.

As for the design (that resulted in surprisingly few responses from this community when I posted in the Artwork forum), I tried to stay as simple as possible. The truth is I'm "soooo over" this thing that I just want to get it out the door to the printer. I may add text for the player positions and potentially, some kind of indication of the character's name, but, other than that, I'm considering it mostly done. Personally, I think it has a nice balance to it.

Monitor / Video
I didn't take any pictures while I was doing it, but I finally took the time to replace the chassis in my Billabs 27" monitor. With everything that *could have* gone wrong, it was probably best that I just do one thing at a time. The chassis replacement took a mere 30 minutes to do. There were maybe a half dozen wires and connectors that needed to come off the existing chassis and put back on the replacement chassis. Good thing I took pictures, because one of the connections could have been put on the wrong way. (Oddly, the pictures I *did* take didn't give me as much of a clear picture of where it was supposed to go as it should have.)

With the monitor chassis now replaced, and the Billabs 27" firing on all cylinders, it was time to plug in the Ultimarc Arcade VGA card and try installing the drivers again. Unfortunately, after about 3 hours of screwing around, I was *never* able to get the drivers installed. Turns out the problem was mostly with the old motherboard I was using for my Mame PC. I put the AVGA card in my primary workstation to see if it was something computer related and lo-and-behold my main workstation was able to get the drivers installed (forcefully, I might add). They didn't/don't work perfectly yet, so I've posted another support question in the "Monitor / Video" forum. I suspect it's a fairly easy solution for someone.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=58686.0

postalp123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 09:07:50 pm
  • Retro-gamers don't just play, they reminisce.
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2006, 06:32:48 pm »
Quote from: In2ishun link=topic=55184.msg578726#msg578726
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/in2ishun/258141136/
[/url]

I think your panel design looks amazing, but I'm stumped as to why you didn't use Garrison instead of that evil monk guy, Garrison wears a fair amount of Blue as well so it shouldn't mess with your color scheme.

[FAULTY IMAGES DELETED]

Either way you go, I am impressed thusfar, but GArrison is the $#!t.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 12:44:35 am by postalp123 »

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2006, 09:16:44 pm »
I think your panel design looks amazing, but I'm stumped as to why you didn't use Garrison instead of that evil monk guy, Garrison wears a fair amount of Blue as well so it shouldn't mess with your color scheme.

I'd honestly *rather* use the Garrison character and, if needed, I can do some selective color replacement with Photoshop to bend his colors to suite. However, in every issue of the BC series (I have all 9) I didn't find a *worthy* image of him. He was either obscured by other characters or cropped in a frame or something. None of them I looked at were any good.

BUT, you have a couple of images posted inline with your response that didn't come through due to (I guess) image linking. Can you post the images here directly or perhaps email them to me? I'd be interested in what you came up with.

Naturally, I've already taken my artwork to the printer and the overlay I posted last will be ready for pickup tomorrow. If I found a completely bitchin' version of Garrison that I could use, I'd still consider having the whole thing reprinted. The "ugly monk" character was a nightmare trying to fade out as much of the edges of the image so they wouldn't show up in my Illustrator file.

Below are the URL's for the images you used.

http://battle.chasers.tripod.com/garrison1.jpg
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/carving/674/ch/bc/bc1/garrison4.jpg

Either way you go, I am impressed thusfar, but GArrison is the $#!t.

I appreciate that. I wish the cabinet looked as good as I think the CPO looked.  :)

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2006, 09:25:02 pm »
Damn, the more I sit here and think, the more I'm tempted to open up every single issue of the Battle Chasers comic series to see if I missed some really good images of Garison.

Thanks a lot Postal, you might end up costing me another $100.  ;D

Strider3030

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2010, 03:41:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2006, 12:51:41 am »
How about putting Calibretto in there?

postalp123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2006, 12:57:50 am »
Here's a few sites with some higher quality Garrison Pics:

Garrison Gallery

Maybe tint this one Blue?

Another potential one

Best of luck to ya'!

postalp123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2006, 12:59:48 am »

Wicked job there Strider!

I like how the gun-flare lines up with the joystick.

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2006, 11:08:29 pm »

Strider that looks pretty good. I *did* think about using Calibretto, but thought that his non-human appearance upset the balance a bit. (Of course a bald blue guy with glowing yellow eyes, and serious gingivitis doesn't exactly represent humanity now does it?) Now that I see what it looks like, I think I probably should have used him and simply tinted him a bolder color of blue. Alas, my artwork is ready to be picked up already with the gingivitis boy.

In an aside, one of the biggest problems I had with using him was the gradient around his head. I had a hell of a time trying to cover up the "lines" that seem to appear when you place a CMYK raster image from Photoshop into Illustrator. Maybe it was just my monitor, but I couldn't for the life of me get those damned lines to disappear. When I talked to the printer today, and asked about the lines, he said that he couldn't see any. So... I have high hopes.

Hey Postal. I searched and searched and came up with the same images you did. When I went to the Joe Mad Fan site and read the FAQ, I learned that it's impossible to get in touch with Joe to see if I could get an unobstructed graphic of Garrison. I was hoping you had some secret link to images that weren't previously published. I appreciate the links though. If I end up redo'ing my control panel (which is very possible to change the control layout and add other stuff I missed on this go-around) I might actually change that image out and use a bust shot of Garrison from one of the BC issues.

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2006, 05:24:26 pm »
Hey Strider....

That is Dope...the layout and the artwork....

I was just wondering....did you conclude that the "color coordination" at the yellow joystick station didn't need to match the character located with it (yellow/green)? I noticed you went ahead and matched the other three stations (Red,Blue,Green) with the artwork/characters.

One option to consider is to simply chage the color of her clothing from greenish to yellowish in A.I.

AWESOME THO, DUDE!

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2006, 06:46:01 pm »

I was just wondering....did you conclude that the "color coordination" at the yellow joystick station didn't need to match the character located with it (yellow/green)? I noticed you went ahead and matched the other three stations (Red,Blue,Green) with the artwork/characters.

Actually, Gully (the yellow character) is fairly yellow. Or at least it's yellow enough to blend fairly well.

I actually did get my artwork back and it doesn't look very good. My solid black background has produced some really undesirable "banding". Oddly, the red outline produced the same kind of banding. I'm not pleased with it at all and will be having the thing reprinted by someone else.

Hey... what's a week's delay when you've set a deadline, eh?  :banghead:

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2006, 06:51:39 pm »
Strider, do you have a large copy of that image of Calibretto? PM me if you do.

NightGod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2006, 06:17:13 am »
If there's bad banding, I would refuse to pay for it-the printer has a problem with his inkjets (those vinyl printers have a couple hundred jets per color and can individually test each one) and it's crazy to make you pay for that.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2006, 02:26:06 am »
Update: October 10, 2006

Took Thursday and Friday off from work to do a lot of running around for CP construction. In retrospect, I'm glad I did. If you want to jump right to the pictures, here's the Flickr set for the day.

Artwork

After the messy print that I got from FastPrints (as well as being asked not to come back to their store), I finally got the artwork right and printed fairly decent. The print quality wasn't quite a sharp as the copy I had done at FastPrints, but the saturation is AWESOME. Given the application of this vinyl, I'll take better saturation over a crisp image.

As you can see, I found an image of Garrison that was mostly unobscured. I would have liked to have the sword complete through to the tip, but I'm not an artist, just a pixel jockey. It's already been printed so it doesn't matter anyway. I *do* like this image of Garrison and given the 100's of times I've been through these comics, it's amazing to me that I didn't see it.

Lexan

I've read various posts about the trouble people have with Lexan. I haven't cut the first joystick or button holes yet, but at least getting the Lexan cut to size was so straight forward and easy, I would highly recommend this method for anyone.

My advice... DON'T waste your time using a power tool. It's more trouble than it's worth and you are potentially asking for more problems if you DO use one. First, cut your one of your control panel bases [from your chosen wood] to size based on the artwork you've just printed. Use that control panel base as a guide to "score" the Lexan. I know there are plastics cutting blades, but I don't think you need one. Just use a standard utility knife (box cutter) and drag it FIRMLY along the edges of your CP base, cutting into the plexi / Lexan. (Obviously you'll want your CP base and the Lexan clamped down good and tight.) After you've scored it 2 or 3 times, remove the clamps, line any scored edge up with a straight flat surface, and push. It'll snap right along your score line with no trouble at all.

Honestly, I've read lots of posts where people are using routers, jig saws, and table saws to cut this stuff. They talk about it melting and sometimes cracking. Because of that I was all hot-n-bothered about possibly cracking my Lexan top. No such thing happened and I cut the whole thing out in about as much time as it would have taken me to cut one side with a router.

Ok... I *could* be singin' another tune when it comes to the button holes.

The Lexan I bought from Home Depot was QUITE expensive. It was more than TWICE as much as a standard sheet of non-branded Plexi. As I try to stick to some standards that I've read around here, I opted for the Lexan. I guess I'm just trying to avoid using crappy material that could turn my noob mistakes into catastrophic blunders.

The Lexan also appears to be tinted a bit. It looked pretty clear when I examined it at the store, but as you can see in the photos, it has a slight smokey tint to it. I wasn't expecting this, but I like it. It should slightly obscure any minor design mis-steps in my control panel artwork.

Control Panel Box

I didn't want to take any chances with potentially breathing in the MDF dust, so I opted to use an old NBC gas mask I brought home from the Marine Corp about 12 years ago. I figure if the filters in this thing are designed to stop atomized nerve gas, it'll stop the MDF dust. (It even comes with eye protection). As I expected, it worked like a champ.

I cut the CP top and bottom bases with a circular saw. I must say that I've managed to get pretty accurate with my circular saw and now only long for a table saw for angled cuts. Thanks to the CP dimensions I settled on, I had to use TWO FULL SHEETS of MDF to get a top and bottom. There's a LOT of extra wood left over. Actually there's enough left for an entire 48" wide control panel -- sides too.

I've never worked with MDF before, but cutting the bases showed me how brittle this stuff is. It looks like 3/4 of an inch of paper that's been glued together. You can tell how fragile it is when you drop a piece on it's corner. It dents like an aluminum can does when you crush it in your hand.

Before attaching any of the sides, I figured I'd probably need to do quite a few pilot and countersink holes. Figuring how pourous this stuff is, I tried to put as many screws into the bottoms of the side pieces and my butt joints as I could and as many as the "wood" (see... I almost have a hard time calling this stuff wood) could take without breaking out or seperating too much. I attached the longest piece (the 60-inch piece in back) to the shorter sides first with only two 1 1/4" gold screws on each side. From there I filled all of the holes in the bottom with screws to keep it firmly in place. From there I added the front section and the two angled pieces. I recessed the screws for the angled pieces into the "wood" though, as you should be able to tell, there's really not much material holding the angled pieces to the straight ones.

I'll be putting angle brackets or hinges inside to make sure the sides stay together and that they stay firmly attached to the bottom base.

Control Panel Top

I've heard of people using a variety of bits for drilling the MDF and plexi. I opted for a forstner bit. First, because it has a super-fine tip that will allow me to pinpoint the center of each button hole. Also because I read that getting through the Plexi with as few strokes / rotations as possible (though still slow enough that you don't crack it) is highly desireable. The slanted inside planes on the forstner bit, "lifts" the material out as you go.

Finally, I think I'll be using this style of attachment not only to keep the CP top down firmly, but also to hold it in place as it sits on the cabinet. I may have to reinforce the spots where the clips will mount with some good old-fashioned WOOD.  :)

Coin Door (July 29, 2006)

I'm not sure why I never posted these images before, but here's some shots of the coin door as it was going in.

Joysticks, Buttons, Gadgets

Another image I forgot to post. If anyone cares for a parts list, I'll post one. If not... here's the obligatory picture.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2006, 06:44:04 am »
Awesome work...  I'll be moving to Phoenix permanently in June of next year...  we should have a BYOAC get-together sometime.  :cheers:

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2006, 05:01:33 pm »
Awesome work...  I'll be moving to Phoenix permanently in June of next year...  we should have a BYOAC get-together sometime.  :cheers:

Actually, there are quite a few of us here in the valley already. I'm thinking, at some point, maybe we should get together or something. Have a few cigars and some good beer while taking advantage of the game thing.

But, do we invite non-cabinet builders?   ??? :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 05:03:34 pm by In2ishun »

Boz

• Offline Offline
Re: Battle Chasers Upright - Frankenpanel started!
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2006, 05:23:13 pm »
Update: October 9, 2006

It was a bit of a short night. I spent probably 2 hours between Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware before I even got started after work.

I spent way too much time over the last several days considering what hardware I was going to use for A) securing the control panel box sides to it's base and B) keeping the control panel secured to the actual cabinet. For the inside of the control panel box, I just couldn't bring myself to spend the $2.50 per angle bracket that I intended on using. I counted 14 that I needed. I kept fighting with the fact that I had all this scrap wood at home and why couldn't I just use *that*. In the end, that's what I did.

The latching mechanisms for keeping the CP on the cabinet I'm still not fully convinced on. I didn't take a picture of them yet, but I did buy some latches. Without pics it's hard for anyone to understand what I'm talking about. I'll do that tonight.

Considering how much time I spent at the store last night after work, Obviously not much got done. Now that I have my portable sun, I hope to get a lot more done tonight. I'm really anxious to start drilling into the control panel and getting all the controls mounted. However, I want to have other stuff (inside braces, hinged lid, secure to cabinet) done first.

Also, here's a pic of the rear castors for the cabinet. I had them welded so they wouldn't swivel.

Last nights

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 05:25:46 pm by In2ishun »

bushido_cedar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2006, 07:05:02 pm
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2006, 05:46:41 pm »
Looking awesome! I'm just finishing my first cabinet (salvaged from an old TMNT cab) in your area (43rd ave and cactus) so I'd definitely be down for a phoenix BYOAC'er get together!

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2006, 06:17:41 pm »
Looking awesome! I'm just finishing my first cabinet (salvaged from an old TMNT cab) in your area (43rd ave and cactus) so I'd definitely be down for a phoenix BYOAC'er get together!
Ah, my old stomping grounds.  I got into my first car accident at 47th & Cactus; my first  :censored: at 31st & T-Bird.  Moon Valley High School, desert keggers, skating in pools & the desert pipes.  I'm trying to talk my brother into building a cab.  He's at 67th & Bell.  But I digress. 

Great progress on your build.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2006, 08:21:56 pm »

Actually, there are quite a few of us here in the valley already. I'm thinking, at some point, maybe we should get together or something. Have a few cigars and some good beer while taking advantage of the game thing.

But, do we invite non-cabinet builders?   ??? :)

yeah, invite the non-cabinet builders...  they'll envy your cab so much, they'll want to build their own.

johnm160

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 09:00:46 pm
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2006, 10:27:57 pm »
Could you please tell me how those casters operate? how do they go up and down?

Thanks

John

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2006, 02:14:28 am »

Thanks

John

The caster itself (i.e. the housing and the wheel) are stationary. It's the rubber leveling foot that extends up and down to level and secure the load. The rubber is much like that of a tire, very solid.

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2006, 02:18:02 am »

I'm not far from you at all. Just a few minutes north. The more I think about it, the more I think this could be fun. Depending on how many people would be interested, I'd be happy to host the first "BYOAC (Phoenix Chapter) Happy Hour" at my place. I wonder exactly how many people are in the Phoenix area. I'm guessing about 10 or so who are regulars on this forum.

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2006, 03:13:57 am »
Update: October 10, 2006

Tonight I was hoping to completely hinge the CP so I could move forward with mounting it into the cabinet itself. However, the cabinet hinges that I bought took a bit of thought as to how to mount them having never done it before. I opted to test it out on a couple of pieces of scrap before I did it in the "real" CP top. If I were to do it on the actually CP top, then make some horrible miscalculation, I might have to actually buy another complete 4 x 8 sheet to cut another CP top to size. I'd *HATE* to have to do this, so scrap it is. (And, do it multiple times to make sure you have the hang of it too.)

I started with one hinge which turned up some interesting "alignment" issues. For all the adjustment I was able to do with the hinge, I was unable to make the pieces line up the way I want them to. I re-routed holes for the hinge in another section of scrap to see if I could make it work. It looks a lot better and I was able to get rid of one of TWO alignment problems.

I wasn't able to make both alignment issues go away by the time I finished tonight, but I'm open to suggestions on other hinges if you have them.

Tonight's . Be sure to check the captions beneath my pics at Flickr. Almost all of my photos have them.

johnm160

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 09:00:46 pm
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2006, 11:08:28 am »

Thanks

John

The caster itself (i.e. the housing and the wheel) are stationary. It's the rubber leveling foot that extends up and down to level and secure the load. The rubber is much like that of a tire, very solid.

Thanks, did not see the lever in any of the pics so of course I was dreaming up some high tech pnuematic system :D

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2006, 11:20:51 am »

Thanks, did not see the lever in any of the pics so of course I was dreaming up some high tech pneumatic system :D

Oh hell. I'd go with the Pneumatic system just for the "coolness" factor. You could have a big red button in a housing that's connected with a tether. "Alright everybody. Just stand back. This'll only take a minute." <queue robotic sounds here>

TeamTEOR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2018, 09:43:43 pm
  • Off to the Edge of Reality
    • My Website
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2006, 03:00:41 am »
Hey Guys, I am in Scottsdale and am about to start on my build. I just skimmed though this one, and I am happy to see there are a few people out here building.

Really nice work on the control panel for this build, and I love those castors.

I have the tools to do the build, but very little wood building experience. So I was going to order up a Mameroom Ultimate Arcade II Cabinet Kit. I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but wanted to say hello, and that I would be game to meet up with you guys if you were going to do something together.

Tom

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2006, 07:45:14 pm »
I'll probably host something at my place once I get the cabinet done, though, as you can see, life seems to happen when you least expect it.

Make sure you check out the woodworking forum when you come up against questions and problems. DrewKaree's a bit of a character, but he's a real ace when it comes to woodworking. I've taken several of his suggestions there.

Update: October 26, 2006

Like I said, life happens when you least expect it. I destroyed my $75 sheet of Lexan and the $140 printed sheet of vinyl CP artwork, as well as at least a full sheet of MDF. Right after I did all this my ailing Honda Accord *finally* blew out the head gasket. I had to get a new vehicle and although I have a much better ride ('03 Silverado Ext Cab), I'm stuck with a car payment for the first time in probably 4 years.

Progress from here on out may be slow.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2009, 04:18:54 pm »
Here you go. Your welcome, no need to thank me.  ;)

Boz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2009, 01:31:34 am »
Here you go. Your welcome, no need to thank me.  ;)

No, really. Thanks Lew.

:banghead: