Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Examples Discussion  (Read 10945 times)

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
Examples Discussion
« on: June 23, 2006, 08:47:24 pm »
Last night I started putting up a translation of the BYOAC examples page. I spent several hours doing so. I have also spent far too many hours going link by link through the BYOAC examples page, sorting out all the dead links so the wiki could be current. It is a set of pages that seemed was not even being thought of until I put it up.

Only one day working on it, and it seems to have been totally hijacked by someone else. I understand that someone else might have an idea how it could be done better, but, wouldn't it seem courteous to at least contact the originator before jumping your boots all over it???

>:(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 08:26:06 pm by MYX »
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
Re: Examples Page take over??? And why???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 09:09:36 pm »
Adding more, cause I am a little pissed. And that is the point, I suppose, of this second post.

I understand the wiki is so we can make a complete picture and that we all work towards a common goal, but again, if you want to make a major modification to a page, contact the originator first and talk about it. You have spaces for pictures on the examples page. Are you seriously going to go to every one of the several hundred pages and collect a picture from each one of them.

Bahhh!
M    Y    X

Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 10:11:07 am »
This is why it completly stupid to waste time to go trouch all links, since they are ALLREADY on BYOAC. There are NO need to add them twice (you should add a talkpage about it first).

I can't simplly not seen why examples should been added, which would been double work!

Every time Saint add a new user project, this would add in both the mainpage AND in the wiki too. This is just waste of time to mainstream 2 pages with same links. It simply a mainstream issue. I guess the mainpage is a lots better idea to hold these examples, and not in the wiki.

Remember BYOAC have 3 sections: Wiki is one section, examples another, and the forum the last section.

Instead of just adding links, it a lots better to get a picture destription, what type of a cabinet actuelly is. This say a lots more words.

Because of this, you do NOT need add ALL cabinet from the examples page (wich may would overfuse the users), but instead add about 3-6 cabinets (wich is why I wrote SOME examples). If a cabinet builder would add the link, they would also just add a new pictures. For nore examples, it a better to add a "see also" link instead for more examples.

I DO have added a main example page trouch, because it every not needed to show all links in the subpages. I have instead just added a link to the main example page instead. The Mainpage could add some pictures from the best examples.

NB. You can do still see your link in the history, so they are not gone (but instead added a workaprogress tag).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 10:34:10 am by Space Fractal / Denmark »
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 10:27:40 am »
Look on the sample page, what it should been looked to aviod double work (wich mean it never would been old):

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Examples_-_Upright_cabinets

I should also used the talk page first with a full example before changing (even it still in the history, so no work lost), and just added workaprogress tag.

Sorry
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 11:13:08 am by Space Fractal / Denmark »

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 02:30:21 pm »
If you will look, most of what is on the wiki IS info that has been translated from the BYOAC site.

Yes, every project that has been submitted is on the BYOAC examples page. This is the problem. Many sites are no longer valid links or are sites that have died a slow death and there is no working graphics or links. I was going to take a different approach as to how it was going to be laid out.

Quite frankly, I do not think that it is up to you to decide if a page is appropriate or not. I was doing valid work, it was not shotty. On the talk page, there is too much time spent on hemming and hawing about where and what and why and how. I was going forth and adding my info. Adding content instead of just talking abut adding content. I do not have enough time to stand before a jury to decide if my ideas are relevant.

Even if it did need to go through a committee, and get judged, and stamped, and filed somehow...
What gives you the right to come in and make it your own? It had not even been up for 24 hours and you went in and completely changed it. Not only did you change it, you managed to delete the only completed page that was up. ???

I thought that the WIKI was a place to make as thourough of a picture as possible, so that someone with an interest can come in and find any and all info necessary per a given topic. Yes? Then an  examples page is a valid category. 

The sub categories were going to be added to every page so one who is looking AT EXAMPLES, can do just that. There is a main page link on the left hand frame at all times. There is no need to come back to the main level every time one wants to change categories. Again, NO ONE was working on this idea and you saw mine and decided it was wrong, long before it was complete.

I would appreciate it if you were to revert the pages back to the way I had it and let me get back to work.

Thank you.
M    Y    X

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 04:35:45 pm »
I do really LIKE your idea, but I quicly saw it have some issues.

You are completly right it may even been better in wiki, because bad links can been removed, if a user find one (simply because all can change it). Saint could use the mainpage to display all examples (even deadlinks), but mainstream it on wiki instead (if a dead link across). If a user change the page, it a lots easier for him, just add the wiki.

So I took foul about this one.

OOPS.

Came to remove this text, but wrong text (it was a another post).
MYX, I hope you remembed, what I wrote here (if it critic, sorry).
It was all about the topnavigation bar and some tips about wiki, I think.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 04:23:50 pm by Space Fractal / Denmark »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 07:35:19 pm »
I'm are now going to make a little link checker application, that can rename all links on the main example page, and convert (maybe also due check) ones to the wiki.

This should been a lots easier to mainstream, otherwice it would take many hours/days. I'm post that application here, when it finished.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 08:36:55 pm »
Space Fractal, the project is yours. Since you still seem to want to go after this, after I have asked for it to be put back to how it was.

How you have just said it and wiki'd it is nothing near where I wanted to go.

Please understand, I do respect that you have done a lot on the BYOAC wiki. I respect that you have a whole lot of knowledge. This does not make it your right to decide jump in and take over, and then, have it be done your way. For me there is fun in the creation and development. I was not even close to being done with the look of it. I was putting stuff in place to work from. So, since you seem to know how it has to be done, it is your. Have fun.

I will write about something else. When I do, please do not touch it.
M    Y    X

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 09:32:12 pm »
Can you destription, what you would, how they should look?

Here is a list I created by the automation, the upright got over 500 projects alone. I think it would been big on the same page.

(forgot the rest i wrote, it was here I wrote some bad text, not the first post).

« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 04:26:37 pm by Space Fractal / Denmark »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 03:32:59 am »
hey, I got a warning about a 32kb limit, wich would been a problem in some browers. It most comon is Upright Cabinits, wich was still over 32kb.

Im tried to add the big list on this page (for fun), (nearly) direct conveted by the utility:
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Examples_-_All_Projects

The page was about 71kb big.

I think the list should been alphabeted, but it was must finer than I trouch.

NB. I do not touch the pages anymore (maybe only the layout itself), if I saw you change the page back to that (from history), you think it should looked.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 04:10:59 pm »
Sorry for the third post.

I got a idea, look in the Upright page again:

It now have 3 pictures in the top with no text at all (with a back link to the arcade cabinet destrioption), and a full list with all links after that. Even there are was many links, it seen to been fine (this because there are some pictures as a start to not overhelm the user with only links), and it only need link checking (I may doing that auto too?).

Since the was a destription based article at the start (Arcade Cabinet), why not link into examples from here too? Im did that.

I hope you like this one (and please: don't take the another thread serious). It very much what a automation utility can due.

Dont take the first post seriusly, and I may delete that.

[EDIT]
I have now finally changed back to your design, includning the top-navigation bar and all.  :)

But the only change, is I edited the top-bar navigation to only use one or 2 lines, wich actuelly help a lots (better use of screenplace)!

Since I'm allready have created the utility yesterday, I'm also added the links too (unless of course the "Hall of Fame", wich you allready have created and work very fine).

I may add some pictures, like in upright (wich also got the top navigation too), but is NOT comon now.
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 05:06:24 pm by Space Fractal / Denmark »

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 06:26:21 pm »
If you wish to save your self some time, as I stated before, I had already gone through every link verifying that 1 that the link still existed and that the info on the page was still valid. an automation utility will not tell you that though the page may exist, that the links on the page are broke and/or wrong.

Tomorrow when I get to work, I will post all the pages that I found that had either died, were almost dead, had become something else entirely, or had updated URLs (again, which a utility will not tell you).

The reason I was posting this section was that I had already invested nearly 10-12 hours going link by link and trying to track down the dead ones and then documenting all of it. All of this info was also sent to Saint about 3 weeks ago.

I had intended on breaking the examples page into the main sections like you saw. For the uprights, since there were so many, I was going to try to separate them into year created (sub sections of Examples_Uprights_01,_02,_03...)
I was going to put it into columns (which is what I was investigating when you took it over) I am not sure if it would be a CSS thing or not, but what I wanted to totally avoid was tables as then if a link in the middle gets removed than your stuck with a hole in the middle, or a heck of a lot of work to fix it. I wanted to be able to go in and just remove the dead link and everything else just shifts up.

BTW, I do like the centered links, but I wanted to put together a set of graphics that corresponded to the words for the navigation.

I am still learning about the WIKI system, so I was unsure if it can handle javascript roll overs or not. Also was looking at a  a flash based navigation, but have not had the time to read up on if and or how to incorporate it. I know that the WIKI can understand most HTML so I hope it will take flash and javascript too.
M    Y    X

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 01:49:58 am »
Using HTML, flash and javascript is a bad thing on wiki, becase they are not really a homepage. A list like that it ok. It very clean, and simple to mainstream.

I'm dosen't know Im should delete the main big list, and only use the small one. But I'm only fond one page, wich was allready finished (Hall of Fame, wich I'm of course not touched).

You are correct, the upright should split in 3-4 pages (each about 150 projects each), and let them go alphabet.You could a a another top-navitaion with these 3-4 pages for upright page (wich was that, Im was thinking (using the same method, wich I did with the top-navigation).

It good a idea by now to add a [bad] state for the dead link, because I'm update all list again with the coming version of my utility (So I can see, which links, that was bad, and get them removed).

This because I'm update all list again with these, who have a picture (these, that have a photo icon). they also mising albabeting, wich would been better. Any links with photo would add a [photo] link after that.

And, I may made a another utility, that can get the manual test of all links a LOTS easier.

The Utility can test if a URL is exits or not. This url would been stated as (BAD).

I have the same idea to use a table, and use 2 or 3 colums in the upright section. I mayben better to just use 2 or 3 pages intead (as you stated).

BTW. Can you post the new deadlinks from the wiki (if you allready did that), so I can autoremove them, when I update the pages again with the utility?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 01:54:29 am by Space Fractal / Denmark »

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 10:17:07 am »
Dead or out of date or needs URL update list...
If it has an updated URL the URL will be listed on the folowing line.

Arcade@Home - Is not an upright cabinet. It is a gaming site but no project to be found.
Markade - site is there. Pix are not. Outdated
Kevin's Arcade Machine
Cab!Net Project - Site is there but is very broken
Big Boom Box - NO Cab just a bunch of talk.(Not nice talk either)
Video Mania #1 (horizontal)
MAME Millennium Cabinet
John & Mad's MAME2000(works fine. Warning: wicked popups)
Xtreme M.A.M.E. / Xtreme M.A.M.E. II / Subroc 3-D (site there but no content)
Jack's Arcade Insanity
The Funhouse Arcade (Site there but no content)
Butler 2001
Goody's Arcade Cabinet Project UPDATE URL: http://arcade.diyairhockey.com/amain.aspx
Stargate (Site is there talking about making a cab but no update has been made.)
PC Arcade 2000 UPDATE URL:
http://www.geocities.com/pcarcade2000/cabinet.htm
Mame Dream  - Out of date and missing content
Blake's MAME Cabinet - NEW URL
http://www.blakesmame.com/
BigDaves Mame Cabinet - UPDATE URL
http://www.mindspring.com/~supertec/cabinet.html
Gadget-Cade
Mr Gibson's MAME cabinets (site there just nothing about a cabinet)
UltraMAME
Willebear's Reactor MAME Project
Xiaou2's Dream Cabinet - no actual arcade content, Only links.
Lexxdog's MAME machine
Sylicon1's arcade cabinet
Lindz' MameArcade - site with no content
Closet To MAME
Bossman 71's Emu-Cade
Jeff's Ultimate MAME Arcade Machine - NEW URL
http://www.velociworks.com/
P.A.G. - Plays Any Game
Mame-in-Stien
Better Daze
Jeff's Ultimate MAME Cabinet 2 - NEW URL
http://mame.velociworks.com/
oct's MAME cabinet (out of date project log - no pix)
Pr0ducer's Mame
CompuCade
Delta88's virtua MAME - Old page - not working
BirdyMAME is linked to Delta88's site
Ultimate Arcade II - link goes to MAME ROOM Designs no UA cab
Project Stephanie!
Cabinet
Patrick's UnLame Mame - Link goes to a parent dir.
JAZ's MAME Cabinets
Dual Conversion Project
Multi Ms.Pac-mame
MAME-Zilla - No Project example just a price list and intent.
PacMAME Cabinet... - No example site. No update since 2002.
the Klutzoplex presents: the Arcade Machine! (a Podium retrofit MAME Project) - UPDATE URL -
http://www.klutzoplex.com/arcade/arcade.htm
EmuBeast
Darth Vader
flAME (?)
Matt's Mame Cabinet
The J Mame Cabinet Project - says it was removed in Nov. 2004
Sparky's Arcade
The Mame Arcade - Site there but outdated and broken. Refferences to 2004 and MAME.89
Andy's Arcade Cabinet - Updated URL
http://www.knosp.com/projects/mamecabinet/index.html
SirhcMan's Mame Machine
Kevin Steele's MAMEFrame Cabinet - Site gives URL to retroblast. This site is no longer working.
dgodwin's MAME Cabinet
MameCade
Oneflow Arcade
The VectoRaster Project - Directory listing
RiP's M.A.M.E. Arcade Cabinet - Site there but it is all about sand sculpting???
StellarX Arcade
Customarcade.net - Site present but not an arcade examples page
Mopwr's All-in-one MAME - Not an example page but it is a MAME movie page
Dave's MAME V.G. - Site there but dead
Odonadon's MAME Project
Roland's MAME Machine - UPDATE URL
http://www.rabien.com/mame/index.html
Bruno's Arcade Cabinet - Don't know if this site is good or not. It locks up my mac every time.
Dreamcast Shop Display
Shawn Lane's Dragon's Lair Project
Mame
Todd's MacMame Arcade - UPDATE URL
http://holcomb31.home.mchsi.com/
Cowieclan Mame Project
The Emulator - Site there with intent from 2003, but no example.
Jakobud's mameCab - Why oh why did this one have to go away :0(
Wade's Arcade Flashback
The One Machine
Mame Madness
M.A.M.E - Game Not Over
Freeplay Arcade
MAMMY - Mike's PC-Based Arcade Machine - UPDATE URL
http://bullythedj.tripod.com/mammy/index.htm
Arcade Craziness
Progetto Arcade
Sshado's Club
Sparkys Arcade2 Driving Simulator
Third Hatch Mame Project
Flats' Arcade in Progress
Retrotek-arcade.com
Pac-Cab
TiptonWare - NEW URL
http://www.tiptonware.com/
VALPOCADE 3 VALPOCADE CABARET
Black & White Mame - Site there but no real content - last update 2003
Valpocade Mega
Digital Dimension - URL Has changed but the new site is only a splash screen
http://www.ddarcade.com/
Project Gauntlet. 4 player MAME arcade at home
Matt's Cocktail Mame Machine
Nightwatch Arcade - My computer would not let me look at this it flagged P0rn!
7 of Mame arcade cabinet
Liam's Arcade Machine - Duplicate of link later on page
Garage MAME
eldercaribou's MAME Arcade Cabinet - No BYOAC Content
Shai's M.a.m.e Project
ARCADE PC (Portuguese) - No real info or example
Mortal Kombat
My Plastic Machine
M.A.D. Cab
Schreitercade
MortalKabinet
J's Kustom Cabinets
R.Cade - UPDATE URL
http://www.neil.scott.zen.co.uk/MAMECAB.htm
.dreadnaught
Exibar's Lair - Another site that got flagged for P0rn
Panderson's Galaga Cabinet - site is there but quite broken
GameOn!
5 Foot Scaled Arcade - Could not view site from work - certificates???
Jez's MAME Cabinet - site is there, just no BYOAC content
DIY Arcade - This site is linked to somewhere higher on the page (sorry the brain is a little dizzy bout now. To many links)
mini neo
Mr.Driver
Blue
Frankenmame (nullcade) - UPDATE URL
http://69.14.109.15/index.php?id=id/game/arcade
Matthews Arcade Machine - This is a PDF, not a site. Perhaps a label  - PDF
Dreamcast cabinet - Directory but no site.
Jukebox / Arcade - No BYOAC Content
M    Y    X

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 11:36:07 am »
Hey - A good work  :applaud:. Now I can see, why you blased me.

Is the above list on the upright section only?

Im trying to update the utility very soon, so they can been updated by the name. I may reformat the text, so it can been used in the utility (so it dosen
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:48:20 am by Space Fractal / Denmark »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 12:53:06 pm »
Upright Page is now updated with your info. I may miss one or 2 dead links.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
Re: Examples Discussion
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 08:26:56 pm »
Changed the header name of this thread as this is more of a conversation now.  :)
M    Y    X

sirwoogie

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 12:37:22 pm
  • It's Hollyfeld in a Winnebago!
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 11:17:52 pm »
FYI, if you have a discussion on the board for a wiki entry, I suggest putting a link to the forum article in the Talk section for that wiki topic

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 01:55:03 am »
Sorry to you MYX, if I "blammed" you, when the first change. It seen to ok now  :cheers:.

I

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 07:54:12 am »
No, I had only gotten through the uprights. If my main computer is busy doing renders, I can play a little. So I was going through the list.

edit:
BTW, I am not sure that we should keep the dead ones. Or move it to a driftwood page.
M    Y    X

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 09:16:06 am »
It up to you.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 03:27:53 pm »
Saint put out an update about a month and a half back and asked for anyone with broken links to come forth. If they didn't do it by now, I doubt that they will. We could put a final reminder with a 1 week window, and if they do not respond then it can go away. It would be a little sad, but that is the web. Thisgs constantly coming and going.
M    Y    X

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 03:59:43 pm »
or using a last checked by date.

Did the application do the link checking easier?

The Application could also check if a url report a errorpage (error 401 or so on), wich could spare a lots of time. But it can

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 04:13:33 pm »
Once it is in WIKI, hopefully the comunity at large will take care of it and update it if necessary.
M    Y    X

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2006, 04:33:24 pm »
Yep, now We should cheking all other links (did you do that?), because it only Upright links updated. Im would not update with photes in arcadecontrols.com domain, before it updated.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 07:50:52 pm »
Don't have time to do it just yet. I am booked on edits for the next 2 and a half weeks.
M    Y    X

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 08:04:46 am »
Hey SF, I was just on the uprights page. I noticed that you had a note about the utility you are making. Is this necessary to the user? Can that message come down?
M    Y    X

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2006, 08:05:20 am »
FYI, if you have a discussion on the board for a wiki entry, I suggest putting a link to the forum article in the Talk section for that wiki topic
Missed this. Done.
M    Y    X

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 10:07:35 am »
The Utility I made was a converting from the examples from the main page, so they would look fine in the wikipage. It was very hardcoded with no userinterface. It was faster than manual copy&paste. This utility would hince not been made public, and the notice is removed now.

The utility I made for merging your post about links would also not been made public, because it was also hardcoded to only doing one thing (processing 2 text files).

The tiny link checker utility would been shown in the wiki soon. It should been a lots faster to check many links in that way instead of using the normally IE.

The Download URL is http://www.arcademusicbox.com/files/App/LinkChecker.zip

There are no read me or trouch, wich would been adde in v0.2.

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 01:01:11 pm »
I would like to have wikilinks to all the examples, instead of just the hard links. That way, we can include searchable information on each project.

To this end, I wrote a little program to convert the text.

Here's the output when I ran it on the Hall of Fame page:

Code: [Select]
== Hall of Fame ==

* [[PC2Jamma]]
[http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma Home page for PC2Jamma]
* [[Roswell 88201]]
[http://www.ourvictorianhouse.com/CraigsArcade/Roswell%2088201/Roswell.html Home page for Roswell 88201]
* [[LuSiD's Arcade Flashback]]
[http://www.lusid.net/arcade/ Home page for LuSiD's Arcade Flashback]
* [[1UP's Pac-Mamea!]]
[http://www.1uparcade.com Home page for 1UP's Pac-Mamea!]
* [[Supercade: Classic Arcade System]]
[http://www.cybercoma.com/supercade/ Home page for Supercade: Classic Arcade System]
* [[Frostillicus Arcade]]
[http://arcade.tomvanhorn.com Home page for Frostillicus Arcade]
* [[miniMame]]
[http://www.MiniMame.com Home page for miniMame]
* [[Doc's Modular Mame]]
[http://www.beersmith.com/mame Home page for Doc's Modular Mame]
* [[Whammocade]]
[http://web.tampabay.rr.com/whammoed/whammocade/whammocade.htm Home page for Whammocade]
* [[Rototron]]
[http://rototron.info Home page for Rototron]
* [[Heavy Metal Arcade]]
[http://www.mindspring.com/~chrisnewsome/index.html Home page for Heavy Metal Arcade]
* [[Crazy Canadians Custom Cocktail]]
[http://quarters.ca Home page for Crazy Canadians Custom Cocktail]
* [[System7]]
[http://www.said7.com/system7_gallery/ Home page for System7]
* [[Nannu's Nintendo Cabinet]]
[http://www.willyliliana.com/NES%20Cabinet/NES%20Cabinet.htm Home page for Nannu's Nintendo Cabinet]
* [[The NEON MAME]]
[http://www.freewebs.com/knievel/ Home page for The NEON MAME]

----
[[Examples|Back to Examples]]
<!-- End Page 1 -->

For each of the projects, someone would have to cut the second line of text and paste it into the corresponding wiki entry.

Opinions?
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 03:49:08 pm »
Im think wikilinks can been bad, if these links is defucted. When they are defucted, it also removed too. YOu cant remove a wikipages.

Howover the hall of fame would been fine, because these cabinets should been forward than others. You can also even use the find function in IE or FF.

It is one exeptions: IF a each cabinet got a picture or two, it would been find. But projects may take a very long time to complete?

The list you made, should it not been splitted into a table (wikilink to the left, weblinks to the right) to save some screenspace?

Now I should look in the emulatorpages, since they are far from finsihed trouch.

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 05:37:54 pm »
A wikilink could still have some value even if the original project link is defunct. The wiki entry for that project could just not have a link to it.

I went ahead and wikified some of the links. I see that you have started populating some of the wiki pages for the projects in the hall of fame.

I'll hold off on wikifying the main project page, that'll be a considerable amount of cutting and pasting.
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 05:46:22 pm »
and even more value, when they have a picture (them I added in hall of fame), so it got even more value.

I guess the main time hunter is wikifying links on the upright page.

On the upright page I would wonder if a bot could update all pages with a utility (maybe combo with autohotkey), so they can been wikifying in one go, so we only need to upload pictures.

Im trying to see, if a can make such a utility, so it dosent take days (links processed by Blitz+, but key pressed by autohotscript). By now it better to add picture to allready created links.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 05:48:54 pm by Space Fractal / Denmark »