Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wood Cutting for Cabinets  (Read 6383 times)

dndcollect

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2007, 09:09:54 pm
Wood Cutting for Cabinets
« on: June 18, 2006, 03:36:00 pm »
I am wondering if anyone here gets their wood precut from lumbar yards? For instance if I gave a guy at a lumber yard templates and had him cut what i needed to make a cabinet.

Is this ridiculus or do some people do this?

I think that I can learn the wiring, etc to make an arcade, but the carpentry skills and tools is just not practical based on my current circumstances.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
Re: Wood Cutting for Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 04:00:24 pm »
If you are unable to cut the wood yourself, for whatever reason, then I see nothing wrong with having a lumber yard cut it out for you.  Most people who can't cut the wood themselves buy an old empty cab and convert it to ther purposes.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 04:51:40 pm »
A lumber yard will generally cut "squares" ...... if you want curves and angles, you are better off calling carpenters and cabinet makers.

Or, as already mentioned, find an old empty cab to convert.
(probably be cheaper anyways)
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 06:22:07 pm »
I agree with converting an old cabinet. I found several cabinets that were either cheap (10 bucks) or free. They needed some wood filler and some TLC but overall were cheaper than building your own. Building is cool so you can get exactly what you want. Converting is fast and cheap.

Crafty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2009, 11:32:25 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 09:15:29 pm »
Wood Yards are out to make a profit...

They will generally cut to size but shapes are a different matter..

I'm sure some would do it but for a price...

If you are set on building your own cabinet from scratch..

Sheets of MDF are cheap enough to practice on, and if you make a mistake scrap that sheet and start anew..
A Bad Day Playing Is Better Than a Good Day Working

Quarterhorse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2007, 01:25:17 pm
  • She tried grabbing Chuck's wheel -- ONCE
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:06:25 am »
Beware of lumber yard cuts or even having them cut it at Home Depot.  They typically use terrible blades on those and will leave some nasty looking surfaces.  I had them cut down my 4x8 birch plywood so I could fit it in my SUV and couldn't use any of the surfaces from where they cut it. 

Honestly, a jigsaw blade will get you very close and is very easy to manuever at a cheap price IMO. 

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 10:50:03 am »
They have a note right on the machine at home depot that says they only make rough cuts.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:04:12 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 02:46:32 pm »
If you are planning on building one cab and being done with it I'd just buy an old cab to use but if you think you will be doing this hobby for a while you might as well learn to cut the wood yourself.  I find building things very relaxing and there is a huge sense of accomplishment when you finish... or so I've heard because at the rate I'm going I'll never finish!  ;D

ArtMAME

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2020, 12:59:17 pm
  • Hey where the ARCADE MACHINES at???
    • Art's Arcade Lab
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 03:18:03 pm »
I have a nicely equipped wood shop, but I am finding it very convenient to convert old cabs to MAME.  You save money sometimes if you can find an old cab with some hardware included (marquee retainer, bezel, glass, coin door, brackets, CP, etc.)

If old cabs are hard to find in your area, then building one may be the way to go. 

I suggest you find a place where you can work because even if you have the wood cut by someone else, you will still need to do messy stuff like routing, sanding, painting, drilling, etc.

If you are in an appartment, you could go outside and work.  If you are in a house but have no room to work, you could go outside also. 

Good luck.
"Klaatu. .. Verada. ...... Necktie...Nectar...Nickel..."