Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Good cabinet to mame?  (Read 1442 times)

yhw4life

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2008, 06:43:19 pm
Good cabinet to mame?
« on: June 17, 2006, 01:39:09 am »
eBay Link

Seems pretty cheap to me.  I've been reading this board for a while, and i'm very interested in making a machine of my own.  Since its an empty cabinet, I assume it would be good to MAME.  Since the guy lives about 20 minutes from me, I can just take a drive and grab it. 

Anyway, think its a good caibinet to make into a MAME?  or is it not even worth the 50 on the buy it now.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 07:55:12 pm by Peale »

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
Re: Good cabinet to mame?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 08:21:52 am »
Would it have killed the seller to orient a photo correctly?  I say "no, don't buy it", simply out of spite since I hurt my neck tilting my head.

Seriously, though, Maming that cab would leave you a little limited as to what controls you can fit and what monitor you can use.  What games do you want to support?  If you're gonna say SF2, then pass on this.

If you're feeling adventurous, why not take it and make it a Pac Man/Ms. Pac Man and grab another cabinet for Maming?

yhw4life

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 03:26:35 pm »
ya, it did really bother me that the guy didn't have the photo set right.  Since I'm kinda lacking on room, I pretty much gotta pick 1 cab to mame.  Thanks for the advice.  I guess i'll keep lookin, cause I would like to play SF2 and other games like that.

SOAPboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2009, 03:36:12 am
  • ..::GeeK::..
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 03:37:12 pm »

Seriously, though, Maming that cab would leave you a little limited as to what controls you can fit and what monitor you can use.  What games do you want to support?  If you're gonna say SF2, then pass on this.

Agreed.. i made the mistake of using a capcom bowling cab, it "worked" but it was a super tight fit for 2 people playing together..

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 05:11:53 pm »
If this is a "one cab to play them all" type of situation, pass on the Pac cab.  One thing to think of though, is you could likely grab that cab and trade with someone here or elsewhere for a more MAME-able cab seeing as even though Pacs are super easy to find, they're always in demand.

Just my .02
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 08:09:47 pm »
I agree with Dave on this one. If it's going to be a 2 player simulatneous cab, go for something with a more open layout. Doesn't even have to be huge, just so the control panel isn't surrounded by the cab sides like Pac Man.

yhw4life

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 08:33:29 pm »
If this is a "one cab to play them all" type of situation, pass on the Pac cab.  One thing to think of though, is you could likely grab that cab and trade with someone here or elsewhere for a more MAME-able cab seeing as even though Pacs are super easy to find, they're always in demand.

Just my .02

thats not a bad idea.  i might think about that.  The reason I was really considering this cab is becuase of the, well, lack there of cabs found close to me.  Most are at least 50-60 miles away..quite the distance.  I'll keep lookin though.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 10:06:18 am »

Just my .02

thats not a bad idea.  i might think about that.  The reason I was really considering this cab is becuase of the, well, lack there of cabs found close to me.  Most are at least 50-60 miles away..quite the distance.  I'll keep lookin though.

Don't let a little drive put you off - for my first cab I drove 2 1/2 hours one way! But, it came out real nice, and I got a great deal on it - free!

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 05:45:42 pm »
i started of with a similar cabinet, and it really is way to crowded to get 2 players inside like that.  but since i didnt think about that before i bought the cabinet, i just modified the cabinet.  I cut out sections of the sides to make it more traditionally shaped, and built a control panel that is wider than the cabinet, it turned out pretty decent.  Its really up to you, what you want to do, but that is a good price on a cabinet to start with
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

DrumAnBass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 11:39:59 pm
  • "I love this computer magic!" - Viv Savage
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 07:54:02 pm »
It is possible to do a 2 player machine; might be a little tight but it can work. I am in the process of building a machine based on DHansen's design seen here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=17350.0

BTW - where do you live that is 20 mins from Granada Hills? I am in West Hills myself...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 08:19:27 pm by DrumAnBass »
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; I only gargle."

yhw4life

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 08:31:38 pm »
thats a good lookin cab.  Would be tight..but it might be worth it.

I'm also in West Hills. 

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 07:46:29 am »
EDIT: Nevermind, I misread a post.  Deleted.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:50:28 am by DaveMMR »

bleemus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2016, 12:53:24 pm
  • Party Pengo in the house.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 10:13:45 am »
I agree, leapinlew tried to make a smaller nintendo cab into a 2 player cab, and we were bumping shoulders/elbows when playing mario bros or any other 2p game.

If you go with a smaller cab, it makes a good single joystick 4-way mame box... but makes for very tight 2p playing.

I refurbed a wide body (26.25 inch) nintendo cabinet (http://bleemus.spaces.msn.com to take a peek) to a sf2 style layout, and it is very comfortable for 2 people to play on.  what a difference 4 inches makes!  26 inches wide seems about the minimum for comfortable 2P playing.
Reality is overrated.