Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: System Specs  (Read 4538 times)

dc101

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2006, 11:44:25 pm
System Specs
« on: June 12, 2006, 12:02:23 pm »
I'm looking to build a dedicated jukebox using SK Jukebox, and I was wondering what the minimum specs are.  In particular, I'd like to use a VIA EPIA 5000 Fanless Motherboard (http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=2#p1601), but it only sports a 533Mhz CPU.  Will that be enough?

Thanks,
DC

lordsnipe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2014, 11:49:06 pm
Re: System Specs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 04:17:30 am »
I had SKJukebox running on a Celeron 666 with 128mb of RAM, WinXP (TinyXP) with onboard video and sound.

I had roughly about 130 albums and it did start to struggle a bit. Smooth scrolling had to be turned off and even then, whenever you hit the scroll buttons, it would hesitate a bit. This was with the database option turned on.

I have since used a fast machine and am having no issues!

SalmonKing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2007, 10:45:44 am
  • SK Jukebox
Re: System Specs
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:29:04 am »
I had roughly about 130 albums and it did start to struggle a bit. Smooth scrolling had to be turned off and even then, whenever you hit the scroll buttons, it would hesitate a bit. This was with the database option turned on.

The delay you were experiencing would have simply been the album art loading in the background before it's displayed.  The Static Databse simply saves the album/song lists to a couple of files so it doesn't have to search your paths every time it starts up.   :)

I used to run SKJB on a P3 800, with a pretty decent video card.  That was enough for it to run fine, although I had to tweak the animation settings a little before I got a smooth-ish result.

That PC then died on me (just the motherboard, thank god!!), so I got a cheap Celeron 2.4 (or something around that range).  That runs SKJB perfectly!   ;)

I'm sure SKJB would run on the 533 you are looking at, DC, it's just a matter of how well it runs!  To be honest, I would throw more at it, maybe get a 1-1.5 Ghz CPU and a decent-ish video card.