Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A couple MaLa Layout questions  (Read 4237 times)

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
A couple MaLa Layout questions
« on: June 12, 2006, 01:02:08 am »
Hey, I have a couple MaLa Questions,

First I was wondering what the MaLa Tree Snap exactly did, and how to exactly use it. I looked at the MaLa help page on its site, and I still couldn't to get it to work. Does it allow me to have an image represent each node? What I hope to do, is have an image of a NES or arcade show up on the screen when I am highlighting that node.

Also, I am experimenting with making a layout for myself, and I was wondering if I can animate the background using animated GIF images. I can load GIFs, but they don't seem to animate for me. Otherwise would it be possible to have a movie file play to animate in the background? (not fullscreen, but as part of background.)

Thanks,
Vigo

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: A couple MaLa Layout questions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 01:30:41 am »
Does it allow me to have an image represent each node? What I hope to do, is have an image of a NES or arcade show up on the screen when I am highlighting that node.
Yes..

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 01:34:31 am by loadman »

swindus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2021, 05:52:50 am
    • MaLa - M.A.M.E. Launcher
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 02:35:35 am »
Also, I am experimenting with making a layout for myself, and I was wondering if I can animate the background using animated GIF images. I can load GIFs, but they don't seem to animate for me. Otherwise would it be possible to have a movie file play to animate in the background? (not fullscreen, but as part of background.)
No, you can not use a animated gif in MaLa and the video displays always in front of all other layout objects.

swindus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 03:15:29 am »
First I was wondering what the MaLa Tree Snap exactly did, and how to exactly use it. I looked at the MaLa help page on its site, and I still couldn't to get it to work. Does it allow me to have an image represent each node? What I hope to do, is have an image of a NES or arcade show up on the screen when I am highlighting that node.

Set a path to the node images on the layout tab in the options dialog (tree menu snaps)

and then use the naming convention from the bottom of that page: http://mala.arcadezentrum.com/layoutnaming.html

Hope that helps!

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 03:33:32 am »
Swindus I notice in that last screenshot it has an option to 'disable layout animation'

What animation can you have?

swindus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 03:57:02 am »
These are animated layout objects, not animated gifs or videos. There are 4 objects in the layout called animation which holds an image that moves to one of four directions (top, bottom, right, left) over the screen.

You can try the new layout retroGUI to see what I mean. The MAME part of this layout is animated.

http://mala.arcadezentrum.com/layouts.html#retrogui
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 03:58:53 am by swindus »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 06:21:41 am »
...ahh Sexy.  The invaders move in the background.

I will have to play with this one  day   ;)

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 12:45:14 pm »
OK, I have the tree snaps working for me now. I think I can make exactly what I had in mind with this for my frontend layout.

Thanks swindus and loadman!