Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wide Screen Display  (Read 2791 times)

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
Wide Screen Display
« on: June 10, 2006, 06:03:54 pm »
I mentioned this in another post but it may have been drowned out by other details. What do you think about using a large widescreen display for my next cab project. I'm currently debating using a widescreen over something like an HG 9200 27" or 33" inch due to the higher resolutions that the widescreen offers. I'm not sure how the stretching will affect the images, but really prefer having the ability to play anything new that comes out with higher resolution offerings. Not to mention I think it would look cool.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

johnperkins21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2019, 07:02:34 pm
Re: Wide Screen Display
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 07:58:00 pm »
I think most games are set up for a 4:3 aspect ratio. And the higher resolution is really only the width, you're still looking at a max of 1024 vertical resolution, aren't you? It might be sweet to have a widescreen as a second monitor, similar to what mccoy178 is doing (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=50889.0). I'm not sure what the practical application would be for a widescreen monitor there would be though.

I do not have enough experience yet, but unless you're doing a showcase style cab (that doubles as a video monitor for movies in your game room or something), or driving cab, I can't really see the value in it.
Bob Dole likes cheese.

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 09:18:46 pm »
Maybe for a Xbox based cab or a showcase.  For a mame based cab stick with a 4x3 monitor/TV set.  Most of the new PC games lokk incredible at high res 1280x1k and above on PC monitor (22" and smaller).  When you start stretching the resolution to a large tv it degrades.  Put the PC on a wide TV and check it out.

D-
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

Crafty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2009, 11:32:25 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 10:46:54 am »
this depends on the total useage for the screen. If it is purely for older arcade games why bother. If its to double as a second TV, video jukebox, console games screen etc etc go for it and post the results for all to see.
A Bad Day Playing Is Better Than a Good Day Working

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 09:42:55 am »
It will be used for arcade games of all types including newer games that do offer up much higher resolutions, as well as being used as a jukebox. Not to mention, I wouldn't even consider running my app at 600 x 480. I tried it at 800 x 600 dynamically adjusting the pictures at these lower resolutions and it lost image quality amongst many other things that I just couldn't find acceptable. Anyone know off hand what's the largest mainstream 4:3 LCD display. This could be another consideration. What I might do when the time comes is buy a widescreen, run it through some taste tests and if it doesn't suit my needs, simply return it.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

mhermann

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2019, 07:10:08 pm
  • We ain't found.........
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 01:03:11 pm »
The Bilabs 27" is 1024x768 So you might want to look into that one if you haven't already.

DigDreams

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2007, 04:37:08 am
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 04:45:43 pm »
I agree for *most* games it would not look very good, but there are a few games that would look awesome on it... 

The version of lode-runner (forget exactly which one) that runs letterbox 2 player would be amazing.  There is also a verison of Darious that runs in letterbox.  I can't think of any others off-hand, but I think there are a few.

- DigDreams

Crafty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2009, 11:32:25 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 10:20:55 pm »
I say go for it...

The only limiting factor is cost and weight.

The bigger the screen the heavier they get..

And obviously if you want to continue to use more frequent releases you will need the resolution...
A Bad Day Playing Is Better Than a Good Day Working