Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Printing Artwork ... Help!  (Read 10163 times)

cuthulas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2003, 08:09:04 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Printing Artwork ... Help!
« on: March 06, 2003, 10:59:34 am »
First time poster here, but I have been lurking for a while.  

I have nearly completed an awesome 4-player cabinet, but I have run into one obstacle today.

Yesterday my wife and I spent nearly a whole day learning paintshop pro and creating my marquee and control panel.  We created a pretty awesome Superman versus Hulk layout on both.  I titled my cabinet, "Supermame".  Of course, I used the superman style lettering for it with him and the Hulk ever present throughout the design.

Well ... I brought the files on CD to Kinkos to have them print it ... everything SEEMED fine and they would have it ready in a day.  Well, I got a call this morning from the branch manager saying he could not print it since I didn't have a written release to use Superman or his likeness ... blah blah blah ... GRRRRR

Sooooo ... I'm wondering if my wife and I wasted our whole day for nothing.  How did the rest of you go about doing oversize printing?  Are most printers gonna say the same thing?  

My images are 27" X 8.5" (Marquee) and 48" by 20" (Control Panel).  Any recommendations, advice, etc. would  be GREATLY appreciated.  I'm just irked because I know if that manager had not just stumbled upon the job it woulda been done anyway and I would now have my artwork ready to put into my panel so I can continue building my cabinet.  

Thanks in advance!

Cuth

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:Printing Artwork ... Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 11:07:01 am »
WHAT ! ! ! ? >:( :o

Kinkos actually said that kind of stuff man..damn..that total $hit..sorry for the language but now this...I mean no kinkos ever told me that i cant print capcom/marvel/snk because i am not the owner of the certain pictures..WTF :-\.

I really cany help you but i dont think other places with tell you such thing if you wanna print something out like that.

Also,if everything else fails then you can have cyberpunk print your artwork out of his printer..he charges only $5 for the marque on regular paper(kinkos do the same for like $12).

another piece of advice,print your cp artwork on vinyl.Vinyl looks great..seen mine lately?
There ya go..
http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=5365

cuthulas

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 12:19:09 pm »
Yeah ... the branch manager at Kink's was "laying down the law" or something.  But alls well that ends well ...

I've been emailing Chuck (Mamestation 1 and 2 creator) since I really liked his CP artwork.  He had a similar problem with Kinkos, but they let him sign some sort of release and they did the work for him.  So ... I called that branch manager back, and after speaking with him for about 5 or 10 minutes he agreed to do the work if I just signed the release even though he doesn't think the release applies in my situation.  

Hopefully I'll have my artwork done this afternoon.  

As for the Vinyl, it does look great so I may change my CP artwork onto Vinyl.  As for the marquee I was just planning on going with a laminated paper pinned between the two pieces of lexan.  

Cuth

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 04:46:12 pm »
okay post your result..kinkos usually prints everything wrong..EVERYTIME i went to print something out..they didnt do it right..Here is prove..

This was supposed to 10x24 but hey..they got me a 112"x54".
This thing cost over $110 but he gave me for $20..HOW DUMB IS KINKOS,believe it or not..i offered the guy $30 and he says "okay $30 sounds great"..so i give him 2 twenty dollars bill and he is supposed to give me back $10 back right?He hands me a $20 and says thank you..I didnt bother telling him that because even if i only paid $20 for this print,i have no use for it..maybe around the coin door place for my new cabinet.. ;D.
Did you also know that kinkos gave me a free marque onces..lot of you know the story but lets not go there anymore. ;).
They are like ALWAYS drunk up there...(thats the only reasonable explaination ;D)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2003, 04:52:15 pm by SNAAAKE »

brandon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 05:17:38 pm »
hey SNAAAKE why dont you go for the worlds largest Marque with that thing? ;D  well.. actually you could use it as Sideart but it might look funny turned sideways.. and your cab would have to be about 10' tall... oh well, makes a nice poster for a game room...

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2010, 08:31:05 pm
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 05:21:06 pm »
hey cuthalus, where do you live? I will be going to e kinkos sometime soon to get mine printed, I hope i dont have a similar problem....

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2003, 05:47:53 pm »
hey SNAAAKE why dont you go for the worlds largest Marque with that thing? ;D  well.. actually you could use it as Sideart but it might look funny turned sideways.. and your cab would have to be about 10' tall... oh well, makes a nice poster for a game room...

well i am thinking i make like a backlit box then hang the box around my room so i could stare at that till i finish my new cab ;D.

Not a bad idea Brandon,I WILL probley do something with the print.. :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2003, 05:49:03 pm by SNAAAKE »

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2003, 05:57:42 pm »
Snake, did your cab get sucked into a wormhole or something?  Perhaps a rift in the space-time continuum?  ;)
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2003, 01:12:59 am »
Snake, did your cab get sucked into a wormhole or something?  Perhaps a rift in the space-time continuum?  ;)

errr..maybe  :(

My English is sorta poor.I actually dont know what a wormhole or a rift is so I didnt get it(RAMPY !..dont bother telling me where to look for the meaning of words I dont know..you already told me that like a million times.. :P).

What happend is that I had to sell the cab because of the size..its just too big and the new house has stairways so hoging the machine around is not an opition :-\.

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2003, 03:06:39 pm »
Kinkos (the corporation) lost an expensive lawsuit in the United States Supreme Court over copyright violations. The manager of your store was doing his job. I've had them call our office explaining that someone wanted copies of studies we had sent out.

Many print shops are lax on copyright violations, and you can probably find one that will print your stuff.

Bob

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2003, 03:09:27 pm »
Could you post a pic of your marquee?

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2003, 03:11:02 pm »

errr..maybe  :(

My English is sorta poor.I actually dont know what a wormhole or a rift is so I didnt get it(RAMPY !..dont bother telling me where to look for the meaning of words I dont know..you already told me that like a million times.. :P).

What happend is that I had to sell the cab because of the size..its just too big and the new house has stairways so hoging the machine around is not an opition :-\.

heh, Snaaake I've given up on that... you're on your own for definitions.  But, I don't think you'll find wormholes or rifts in space time continuum in the sense that these guys are talking about in a dictionary... They are science fiction terms like form star trek, or the like...   Your background on your cab pics does look like a cheezy 80's sci fi tv show/film (anyone remember disney's "black hole" and the final scene?)

*shrug*

rampy

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2003, 03:42:12 pm »

Your background on your cab pics does look like a cheezy 80's sci fi tv show/film (anyone remember disney's "black hole" and the final scene?)

*shrug*

rampy

The background comes from marvel vs capcom 1...ANYONE noticed that? ::)
As simple as that ;D.

PS:sorry about the "HOW TO RESIZE" digital picture the other day..it was on purpose..i tried pulling a Rampy ON Rampy..kinda worked.. :D...no offence though.. :)

gui_999

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2005, 12:06:13 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2003, 08:11:55 pm »
okay post your result..kinkos usually prints everything wrong..EVERYTIME i went to print something out..they didnt do it right..Here is prove..

This thing cost over $110 but he gave me for $20..HOW DUMB IS KINKOS,believe it or not..i offered the guy $30 and he says "okay $30 sounds great"..so i give him 2 twenty dollars bill and he is supposed to give me back $10 back right?He hands me a $20 and says thank you..I didnt bother telling him that because even if i only paid $20 for this print,i have no use for it..maybe around the coin door place for my new cabinet.. ;D.
Did you also know that kinkos gave me a free marque onces..lot of you know the story but lets not go there anymore. ;).
They are like ALWAYS drunk up there...(thats the only reasonable explaination ;D)

Man, was your image in CMYK?? Cause I can see a lot of blue in it! check how mine look in cmyk ( the second one )

http://membres.lycos.fr/soad999/cp.htm

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2003, 10:56:44 pm »

Man, was your image in CMYK?? Cause I can see a lot of blue in it! check how mine look in cmyk ( the second one )

http://membres.lycos.fr/soad999/cp.htm
You mind telling me what a CMYK is ???.
Seriouslly dont have a clue  ??? :P.

The blue background is just a plain old background..you know the vortex wallpaper that comes with windows xp.It looks alllright so i figure use that ;D.

cuthulas

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2003, 01:37:44 am »
hey cuthalus, where do you live? I will be going to e kinkos sometime soon to get mine printed, I hope i dont have a similar problem....

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico.    

Thankfully (after speaking with the manager) he agreed to print it if I signed a waiver they keep in hand.  That was fine by me.  HOWEVER ... after I got the control panel art home I was getting ready to put it in and realized they got the proportions all WRONG!  (Short by 3 inches on the side and 1.5 inches on the top.)  So I had to call them back and they made me a new one today. :)  I have my SUPERMAME artwork in hand now, ready to go, and will be putting it in tomorrow!  I can't wait to get this completed!

As soon as I get my cabinet finished I will make an attempt to somehow post some pictures (I'll have to figure out how to upload digital stills from my video camera).  I will also try to post my artwork, but I will have to find some decent image hosting or finally figure out how to use my webspace from my ISP.   Talk to you all soon!

Cuthulas

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2003, 01:55:32 am »

realized they got the proportions all WRONG!  (Short by 3 inches on the side and 1.5 inches on the top.)  So I had to call them back and they made me a new one today. :)  I have my SUPERMAME artwork in hand now, ready to go, and will be putting it in tomorrow!  I can't wait to get this completed!

Hey that reminds me of....THEY GOT MY ARTWORK 2 inches short bothways(the first artwork joystick)... >:( THEY DO THIS ON PURPOSE OR WHAT  >:(.
Sorry to hear that though.. :(.
Cant wait to see some pics..post em whenever you get a chance. ::)

jets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2005, 06:40:39 pm
  • all your base are belong to us
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2003, 12:26:36 pm »
What I do not understand is how ignorant these kinkos guys can be. What I mean is, if i bring in a file on disk that was made to be 26"x8" - why can't they just print it THE ACTUAL SIZE??? How hard is that?

Sheesh. Sorry just venting cuz it happened to me once so I know.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2003, 12:27:03 pm by jets »

creepfactory

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2004, 04:41:04 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2003, 12:28:11 pm »
I can print it for you and you can apply it right to the wood, no plexi needed. I use weatherproof adhesive backed vinyl and PIGMENT based ink jet, so it will never fade, unlike others offering DYE based inkjet prints. It will have a UV Polyurethane finish like a countertop, I can even texture the coating rough or glossy if you want. Email me at orders@tablecade.com I can print 13"wide by However tall (or wide) needed. I also build arcade cabs and dont care about any steenkeeng Copeeerirt mang! he he For this I would charge $29.00 for the CP. I can also print true sign quality backlit film marquees for $29.00.
James

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2003, 02:08:23 pm »
For this I would charge $29.00 for the CP. I can also print true sign quality backlit film marquees for $29.00.
James
You should advertise those options on your Web site... with as many problems as Kinko's has, you'll probably get lots of takers... :)
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

creepfactory

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2004, 04:41:04 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2003, 05:48:20 pm »
I probably will, and those idiots at Kinkos suck, they print it wrong, colors off, etc etc 16 year old kids run million dollar equipment. And that stupid copyright crap, like printing a pac man maquee is going to bring down the wold. Anyway I build cabinets myself and have for years and now can do the side art, cp overlays (with no need for plexi saving a TON of effort! And true backlit marquees as good as the real thing, and all of these are non fading and wwather/waterproof.
James www.tablecade.com