Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: AtomicFE 0.16 on line!!! (included a new Layout Editor!!)  (Read 2290 times)

youki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
AtomicFE 0.16 on line!!! (included a new Layout Editor!!)
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:08:15 am »
ATOMIC 0.16 ON LIGNE!!!
------------------------------

News :
- Graphics routines optimized (animation are faster now)
- Keyboard routines optimized
- possibility to set the number of game jumped when page down or up
- new ENHANCED layout format.
- NEW LAYOUT EDITOR!!!

http://www.atomicfe.com

Dustin Mustangs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2017, 11:43:18 am
  • Cut the sheet!
    • My Site
Re: AtomicFE 0.16 on line!!! (included a new Layout Editor!!)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:38:23 pm »
Wow, there are so many great FEs out right now it is tough to pick one and stick with it.

;D

I have a couple (more) questions about yours, youki.

-Does it support the display of intro movies instead of and/or in addition to screen snaps?  I didn't see it on your features list.

-As far as your plug and play modules go, could I change the directories where Atomic looks for my roms, snaps, ect...  I would like to use these modules, but don't want to change my directory structure.

-Along the bottom of the picture you hot linked above shows screen shots of some of your plug and play modules.  Are these pnp layouts editable just like a standard layout would be?

Sorry if these questions are pretty basic, I really haven't had a chance to sit down and try out FE myself.  Hopefully soon...

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 04:08:37 am »
Hi,

-Does it support the display of intro movies instead of and/or in addition to screen snaps?  I didn't see it on your features list.

If you mean display movie as "snap shot" , yes of course you can.  You can even have the snap shot and the movie.
For movie, i support only AVI format. (not mng).  You have just to have the right codec installed on your PC.
BUT for XVID encoded AVI , there is a special things to do, there is a "HOW TO" file on my download page.

-As far as your plug and play modules go, could I change the directories where Atomic looks for my roms, snaps, ect...  I would like to use these modules, but don't want to change my directory structure.

Yes, of course, you can change what you want, each plug'n play module has one or more .CFG file , you can open with AtomicManager and change folder. (or open it with the notepad and change line like :
SNAPDIR=<your folder>
ROMDIR=<your folder>
etc..

The only module where it is not so simple is the "Arcade Enhanced" module because this module use a generator to generate dynamically the tree structure, category etc..Etc..   but except that one , there is no particular difficulty.

-Along the bottom of the picture you hot linked above shows screen shots of some of your plug and play modules.  Are these pnp layouts editable just like a standard layout would be?

Pnp config are just like normal config , there are just placed in a special place. So you can do exactly what you want.
To change a layout , you have just to open the adhoc .CFG file and change the layout folder.
or edit the file with the notepad and change the :
TEMPLATEDIR=<your folder>

Once you will have understood the concept under Atomic, you wil see you can really do almost all what you want. It is very flexible.

Dustin Mustangs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2017, 11:43:18 am
  • Cut the sheet!
    • My Site
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 05:31:09 pm »
The only module where it is not so simple is the "Arcade Enhanced" module because this module use a generator to generate dynamically the tree structure, category etc..Etc..   but except that one , there is no particular difficulty.

That was the module I wanted to use for arcade emulation.  Do  you care to elaborate on what is needed?  I tried and was not able to get it working with my current directory structure.  (All mame folders including \roms in E:\Mame).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of which, I had an idea for you while I was trying to get this to work.  Your pnp modules seem to be designed around a user friendly approach, which I feel this would help.  They all seem to instruct you to copy your roms to C:\AtomicFE\xxx folder, correct?  In my opinion, it would be just as easy and more convenient for the module to ask you for this info the first time it is run. For example, say I install your NES pnp module.  The first time I run AtoMic.exe a dialogue would pop up asking for the path of any needed support files (roms, ect) and also any optional support files (snaps, marquees, ect.).  The optional ones could default at 'none' so you could specify a directory if you have them otherwise you could just skip them. 

The reason why I say this is because chances are that someone that already has roms on their machine also already has at least one application pointing to them (another FE, an emulator, ect...).  Copying your roms and other associated files to a different place will either require two copies of the same file or all the applications pointing to the file to be reconfigured.   This way you could install Atomic and its fantastic pnp modules and not effect any other apps on the machine. 

Don't get me wrong Youki, this is not a complaint...just some food for thought.

:cheers:

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 05:52:00 am »
I can not very help on Arcades enhanced pnp module. I didn't make most of the module and even never really use them (don't have time for that for now) . But i will point the guy who made modules to this thread, it should be able to help you (when he will be come back from vacation).

Concerning your idea, it is what i wanted to do in a first time. But another idea behing my pnp modules and Atomic , if that using pnp modules you could put a full config of Atomic FE on a usb key or a cd , and move it on another computer directly with having to change configuration.  If i don't impose location for roms , snap etc.. i wouldn't be possible.  but in other hand, my idea first idea was to ask folder location at install time , not at the first run time. So your solution could be very good, at let the choice to the user. If he want something transportable he will let default folder , if not he can change. I will think about that.

Thanks