Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Product: Ultimarc UltraStik 360 Analog/Digital Mappable Joystick  (Read 67983 times)

stephenp1983

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 11:26:39 am
Re: New Product: Ultimarc UltraStik 360 Analog/Digital Mappable Joystick
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2006, 11:50:02 pm »
so how exactly do the buttons connect to the control stick.  You said you could have up tp eight button right?

alexandro98

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2008, 02:34:14 pm
  • Kawaii Neko n_n
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2006, 12:10:16 am »
http://www.ultimarc.com/ultrastik_inst.html
here for more information, but basically cut and pasted from it...

The connections for the 10-pin header are as below:

Wire    Input Mode    
Black    COM Connect to COM terminals on all buttons    
Brown    Button 1 NO    
Blue    Button 2 NO    
Orange    Button 3 NO    
Yellow    Button 4 NO    
Green    Button 5 NO    
Red    Button 6 NO    
Grey    Button 7 NO    
Violet    Button 8 NO    

The optional wiring harness has cut wire ends which you can crimp suitable connectors onto, for your pushbuttons. There is one ground wire which you will need to daisy-chain to all COM connections on the switches so you may need additional black wire to do this.
The supplied wires are 18 inches (450mm) long.

Gh0sty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2019, 05:04:06 pm
  • flying Mame Player
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2006, 07:39:31 am »
well, it looks like this is THE all-purpose Joystick most of us have waited for,
incredible work Andy!!

stephenp1983

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 11:26:39 am
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2006, 10:04:37 am »
Thanks for the reply, doesn't seem to hard I guess.  I'll have to try this out.

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2006, 11:23:10 am »
So it looks like it would only mount to a metal control panel.  Does it work with wood?

kowal

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2023, 02:02:16 am
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2006, 12:00:48 pm »
So it looks like it would only mount to a metal control panel.  Does it work with wood?
Long Handles:
To fit the optional long handle: Remove the PCB by unscrewing the 4 screws. Lift off the magnet assembly from the end of the shaft. Remove the E-Ring. CARE: we advise to avoid spring-loaded parts being lost, place a cloth over the joystick when removing the E-ring. Swap the shafts over and re-assemble.
http://www.ultimarc.com/JShopServer/section.php?xSec=10
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 02:20:46 pm by saint »

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2006, 08:37:20 pm »
Now we just need a hollow shaft for the joystick so we can light up the ball with leds and a hole in the pcb or some other way of making the joystick into a optical rotary joystick.  I think then the joystick will be perfect.

fl0yd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2009, 12:24:39 am
    • Rotary Adapter for Midway 49-Way Joystick
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2006, 10:50:20 pm »
"or some other way of making the joystick into a optical rotary joystick."

That will be my second order of business, after playing a game of Star Wars with the stick in analog mode.  I'm wondering about the method of using a rubber band or rubber traction band to a hacked mouse.  I like the feel of the mechanical rotaries, but I doubt that I could keep enough tension on the gears to actually turn the switch.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2006, 07:16:21 am »
Few questions:

• Do you include all restrictor plates in the order. A subset? None?
  • Go above 4 controllers per system? Not sure if this is a Windows limitation or not
  • Include the functionality of the 4/8 physical change as the mag-stik in the ultra-stik?
  • Have a rotary function for the games that need optical rotaries?

The restrictors are a separate kit. This is evident from the order (store) page but I will add this info to the main product page.

You could plug more than 4 controllers into one system but you would not ba able to download maps to them.
The 4-8 physical change, if you are using a restrictor, can be done quite easily from the bottom of the panel. I am expecting most people to use the stick without restrictor though as it is fully mappable. There are sample 4 and 8-way maps supplied in the UltraMap software and selecting each is a simple matter.
Rotary: The design of the stick is such that a rotary fuction would be extremely difficult to achieve. I am thinking about it though.

Editor note: Adjusted quote tag for readability
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 11:25:52 am by sirwoogie »

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2006, 10:48:57 am »
I fear that this stick can have to long throw even with restrictors and what is way to engage. 60USD + additional parts isn't small price for me. Tests please.

sirwoogie

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 10:16:38 pm
  • It's Hollyfeld in a Winnebago!
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2006, 11:37:36 am »
Now we just need a hollow shaft for the joystick so we can light up the ball with leds and a hole in the pcb or some other way of making the joystick into a optical rotary joystick.  I think then the joystick will be perfect.

Rotary: The design of the stick is such that a rotary fuction would be extremely difficult to achieve. I am thinking about it though.

I agree with JM on this. If you can just provide the way so third party members could add it themselves (both for LED and optical), I think that would put this closer to the ultimate joystick purchase for most MAMEers (not that it isn't close already).

But, since this is version 1.0 from our perspective, it has nothing but promise for the future. I think we would have significantly less options for arcade enthusiasts if we didn't have people like Andy around.  Thanks Andy!

vrf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2017, 10:11:54 pm
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2006, 04:48:16 am »
Can you tell us what the dimensions of the joystick block are if the mounting plate is removed?

Thanks!

destructor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2006, 07:43:12 am »
Dimensions looks as in Sanwa JLW (J-Stik). Otherwise height is different.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 08:02:08 am by destructor »

tonyarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2020, 05:27:52 pm
  • I'm so in love with Tony right now!
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2006, 12:54:59 pm »
Ok, let me get this straight.

Assuming the gameplay on the Ultimarc's gain favorable reviews.

Why wouldn't I want to buy two (at $60 each mind you) and eliminate the need for a dedicated 4-way, want for 360 degree, and more importantly, the need to buy a keyboard encoder.

I mean, just plug 8 buttons into each stick, other end into USB, add a ps/2 trackball and off I go, right?

-Tony
Looking for a cheap/free cab in Mich. Please help.

alexandro98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2008, 02:34:14 pm
  • Kawaii Neko n_n
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2006, 01:42:26 pm »
no offense to you but posting topic named "New Ultimarc 360" in the "Hardware Review" section, I clicked here expecting to see a Review of the the New Ultimarc 360.  Kinda of a let down.

And repsonse to your original question, Thats what everyone wants to know, if these joysticks are i say half as good as what they claim, then you can see why all the excitement about them.

Pasqualz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2019, 06:57:13 pm
  • Boycott Turnips!
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2006, 03:49:26 pm »
Does anyone know of the existence of a review of this joystick yet? I await more info. . .
MAME me!

sirwoogie

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 10:16:38 pm
  • It's Hollyfeld in a Winnebago!
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2006, 03:54:30 pm »
No review yet. Only announced a few days ago.

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2006, 05:22:38 pm »
Assuming your 8 buttons are:  Player buttons 1-6, Coin, Start, then yes, two of these joysticks and 16 buttons plus a USB trackball should be all that is necessary on a 2-player panel - once you have everything setup.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2006, 07:20:07 pm »

...eliminate the need for a dedicated 4-way ..... the need to buy a keyboard encoder.

First, the keyboard encoder:

If you want 6 action buttons, coin & start for each player, then you won't have any inputs left for admin buttons- if you want any.  Not everybody wants admin buttons, and if you do want them, you can always hack a junker keyboard or PC joystick/gamepad for the non-gaming buttons.

I can see two problems with using these sticks as a 4-way:

Hardware restriction vs. digital restriction
A digitaly-restricted analog or 49-way stick will play better than a standard 8-way on 4-way games, but not as well as a true 4-way (in my opinion).  Hardware restriction provides an authentic feel for 4-way games, and helps you to more quickly move the stick to the proper position (depending on your joystick handling style). Hardware restriction can be added with the optional restrictor plates, but these cost extra, and will have to be installed and uninstalled.  A true 4-way will also never suffer from the issue below...

Grid Mappings
Dead squares in the joystick grid mappings create delay in direction changes, and "sticky" squares will sometimes send a directional signal to the game that you don't want to send.  The 9x9 grid shown in the Ultimarc programming utility will always have a "middle" row of boxes between the directions that must be set to dead or sticky when mapping a 4-way mode.  A 10x10 grid (or 8x8, or any even number) will not have this problem.  Unfortunately, a 10x10 grid does not divide up evenly for 8-way modes, so Ultimarc's damned if they do and damned if they don't.  The only solution I can see is to either a) use an odd # of rows for some grid mappings, and an even number for others; or b) use a much higher resolution grid, like the 256x256 grid the stick likely uses in analog mode.  While this won't divide evenly for 8-way modes, the dividing line can just be off by one square; this will leave the joystick 1/256 out of alignment, which is probably too small a distance to ever be noticed (doing the same on the current 9x9 grid would leave you 1/9 out of alignment, which is too much, IMO).  Using the hardware restriction plate could also overcome the deadzone and stickyzone problems- just leave the stick in true analog mode if you're using the plate. 

Before anybody thinks I'm Ultimarc bashing, I'll point out that the 49-ways as sold by GroovyGameGear have a 7x7 grid, which also cannot be perfectly divided for 4-way modes, and that 7x7 number is built into the actual hardware, not the software, so it cannot be changed.  GGG has never released their grid mappings, so I don't know if they use dead and/or sticky squares, but I haven't heard anybody complaining about dead or sticky squares, so maybe it doesn't really matter in the real world  Either both products suffer from the same problem, or the problem isn't really a problem at all.  Or maybe Randy's purple wizard works around it with magic.  ;D

The above notwithstanding, I expect I'll still be buying at least one, and maybe more.  I won't be using one as a 4-way, but not everybody is as picky about the hardware restriction issue as I am, and I'm too lazy to be attaching-detaching a restrictor plate.  But I'm pumped about the analog part, and there are projects where an all-in-one stick might be the best option- like a bartop with just one stick.

These still look to me like a nice option for people who:

• Don't want a frankenpanel, modular panel or swapable panels. 
  • Don't care about hardware restriction, or don't mind adding/removing the restrictor plate. OR
  • Don't care about hardware restriction and are willing to accept dead/sticky squares in order to get hassle-free all-in-one action.
  • Can't add multiple sticks due to space constraints.
  • Want an analog stick that's cheaper than the overpriced Happ analog sticks.
  • Want an analog stick with a balltop.
  • Want an analog stick with a non-floppy feel, for games like Food Fight or Red Baron. (assuming these sticks aren't floppy, hurry up reviewers!) 
  • Are hoping to add modern console emulators that need analog controls, or build a cab around a modern console (assuming Ultimarc gets console adapters for these)

A software fix for the grid mapping would address all of my issues, except for being too lazy to install/uninstall the restrictor plate.  The fix for that problem is probably on my end.  :P

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2006, 08:55:29 pm »
I think they could be perfect for a bunch of people.   But once your talking two of these, I don't know.  120 bucks you can get a ipac4 and a bunch of joystick types..

I'm excited because I think they will be perfect for a cocktail table... But my wife gave me the kabosh on building one :(  I thought I had her talked into it a few months ago... but no.

vrf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2017, 10:11:54 pm
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2006, 09:00:07 pm »
Since this stick and button combo connects as a USB gamepad, that eliminates the possibility of shifted inputs, right? So no admin functions via shifted inputs.

Still looking for the exact dimensions of the joystick without the mounting plate. Anyone see it? (In the other thread, someone guessed it was the same as a Sanwa stick, but it looks bigger to me.)

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2006, 09:03:20 pm »
So Andy, whats the chance for a top button on a ball top similar to the guy who made some great looking buttons for the wico leaf switchs years ago?  Could you get a hollow shaft?  Or would the design not allow that?

with the new push / pull spinners coming out...  then this joystick... then 6 buttons could be the perfect combo for a cocktail table or a small arcade.... almost every game (minus trackball) at your fingertips!

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2006, 09:04:00 pm »
Oh yeah... And have you looked at using these in analog mode with 720?  How well does it work?

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2006, 10:00:14 pm »
From what I've read, the restriction plates do not come off easily after added.   I wouldn't get my hopes up of doing restriction plate swapping on the fly. 

Nothing beats an honest-to-goodness restricted 4-way, but this hobby has always been about tough comprimises.  Do you want to clutter up a panel for a few excellent games), make a totally seperate panel for said games, or have a nice looking panel with joysticks that don't quite have the same "feel" for those games (though don't suffer from the problems of using an 8-way for 4-way games)?  Any solution is acceptable, it all boils down to preference.

Secondly, unless you're using less than six buttons and no admin keys, you probably will still need a keyboard encoder, or as Kremmit said, do a keyboard hack.  Personally I'd just buy a simple $21 Keywiz from GGG and then USB up the joysticks.

I hope (anyone at Retroblast???) when reviewed, there's a fair comparision (pros and cons) between this joystick and the other versatile stick, the 49-way.

AllisterFiend

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2013, 05:04:16 am
  • Rush 2112
    • Check out my Dragon's Lair/MAME cabinet.
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2006, 10:17:10 pm »
So Andy, whats the chance for a top button on a ball top similar to the guy who made some great looking buttons for the wico leaf switchs years ago?  Could you get a hollow shaft?  Or would the design not allow that?

with the new push / pull spinners coming out...  then this joystick... then 6 buttons could be the perfect combo for a cocktail table or a small arcade.... almost every game (minus trackball) at your fingertips!

For the love of Pete, would someone please come out with a decent top fire, how hard can it be, there has to be a demand for it, right?

Anyway, at least think about it Andy.   :notworthy:

And thanks for another great product.

Allister Fiend

destructor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2006, 07:01:35 am »
I think for professional playing restrictor plates will be required. Even if I must buy 3 restrictor plates (round, octagonal, square) probably this will more cheap and more comfortable than buy 4 or 5 sticks and change stick for different games. We will see, patience.

RetroJames

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2006, 11:38:45 am »
Does anyone know of the existence of a review of this joystick yet? I await more info. . .

Andy's waiting on some springs then will ship review items to RetroBlast for review. Word is kevin will be coming out of retirement for this one!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:40:07 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2006, 12:47:39 pm »
Note:  This and my following post were originally in a another members thread.  Out of respect for the vendor, I refrained from posting my thoughts in his new product announcement thread as I find that action to be in poor taste.  However, the mods apparently found it desirable to merge the two threads, so here we are....

I can see two problems with using these sticks as a 4-way:

Hardware restriction vs. digital restriction
A digitally-restricted analog or 49-way stick will play better than a standard 8-way on 4-way games....

I don't want this to be viewed as "competition bashing" because it's not the way it is intended.  I've also never seen one of these sticks "in flesh", so keep that in mind as well.  However, as the first individual to introduce a working digital restriction scheme on a joystick controller, I'd like to think I understand a little bit about what's required :)

That being said, I have some real concerns as to whether any external mapping system, outside of simple dead-zone control, will have an effect on a true analog stick where, theoretically, actuation is equal in all directions of movement.  Chopping up an already excellent range of actuation into coarse blocks and then forcing the controller to guess the intentions of the player is, well, puzzling at best.  Especially when that information is already available with full accuracy.

To explain a little further, there are very simple maps that, theoretically, are the best maps available for any analog joystick that offers equal actuation of the sensors in every direction, as is usually their goal.  Coincidentally, these maps are already being used in any game where its programmer has even the slightest clue.  They are are as follows:

Interestingly enough, the actuation of a properly adjusted 8-way digital stick looks exactly like the above 8-way analog map. 

So the question that arises is how exactly functionality can be increased via mapping, when the "go anywhere" actuation of an analog stick so closely resembles that of a dedicated 8-way.  Especially when any attempts at digital restriction on 8-way digital sticks have always failed.

If anyone can, after reading what I have written above and after viewing the diagrams, relate how those basic "maps" already built into every game can be improved upon for an analog stick, please bring it up in this thread for discussion.  Personally, I am having a very difficult time seeing it.

And before the theoretical comparisons start, let me just state in advance that the 49-way sticks are very different mechanically, and it is that difference that allows them to do what no other stick has yet been able to (head-to-head comparisons of the mapping modes of this unit notwithstanding).

Now, it is possible that the simple analog nature and construction methods of the unit will improve gameplay over switch sticks across the board.  I can neither support nor refute that claim, as that would be pretty stupid to do without actually using one.  I'm only looking to discuss why individuals might think that the addition of mapping to an analog stick will provide benefit, particularly as it has been implemented in this unit.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to some lively discussion on the topic. :)

RandyT
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:19:53 pm by RandyT »

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2006, 01:18:10 pm »
I asked Andy about the restrictor plates in the original thread:

Q: If you fit the 4/8 way restrictor plate, can it still be rotated without dismantling the joystick (like the J-Stik) in order to switch between 4 and 8 way operation?

A: Yes the 4-8 way restrictor plate can be rotated without dismantling the stick.

So if you fit the 4/8 way restrictor plate you do get a proper mechanically restricted 4-way joystick that can also easily be switched to 8-way operation. The only possible downside is that some games work better with a circular restrictor in 8-way mode.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2006, 01:24:18 pm »
Interestingly enough, the actuation of a properly adjusted 8-way digital stick looks exactly like the above 8-way analog map. 

Actually that's not true because the dead zone won't be circular.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2006, 01:27:29 pm »
EDIT:  Just want to point out that this msg was also originally added in the Hardware Review thread and was merged here, lest I be accused of "thread poisoning", not that my comments are negative.  And I was going to start a new thread, but since Kremmit's and Randy's comments were directly related to what I planned to post . . .

Let me add some ideas into the fray (mostly for clarification)  I understand where RandyT is coming from on this, but let me add some stuff in my own words, and hopefully it will be easier to follow (although more long-winded):

Ok, first off, this will likely make a lot of people upset.  That is not my intention.  Hopefully, it will make a lot of people think and lead to some open (and possibly lively discussion).  And a lot of these points I don't think have ever been considered by most of BYOAC before.

Next, I am not about to pretend that I came up with this information all on my own.  However, those that know me well, know that I am not just a "mouthpiece" for other board members.  I will consider what I am presented with and will make my own conclusions.  (And sometimes these are wrong, and I have no problem admitting that).

And this will probably step on a lot of people's toes, but hopefully not too hard . . .

The first thing I would like to say is I am by no means an expert or even the most qualified to make comparisons on joysticks.  I have used a PC flightstick (Gravis destroyer gameport version, usually), and the GGG Omni Stik Prodigies, and have played on different joysticks in the arcades before this hobby existed, but outside of that. . .  (If I got to pick someone to put the new stick through it's paces and report back on it, it would probably be Kremmit, but we'll see how this unfolds down the line.

Next, I would like to say that I am not intentionally trying to disrespect the GP Wiz49 and the 49 Way stick or the UltraStik, neither am I trying to unfairly praise one over the other.  The free market and hopefully some head to head comparisons by either RetroBlast or members of BYOAC will hopefully settle that far better than I can.  I am not trying to put either stick down unfairly, but I also am not going to call it the be all and end all sight unseen.

Also if anything I post is inaccurate, it is b/c I am misinformed, not because I am trying to intentionally put out bad information in an effort to spread FUD.

Finally (before we get to the meat of the post), I owe a slight apology to Andy Warne.  He asked (probably nine months ago) when this stick was obviously being designed, why the DRS modes worked and would be required with an analog stick.  I answered honestly, but at the time I was considering how MAME handles 8-way sticks and  failed to consider how MAME inherently handles analog sticks and how the 49 way differs from what MAME does with any analog.  The end result is that I unnecessarily delayed the introduction of the UltraStik by however long as it took Andy to develop the software, but that is not a bad thing as the software does have SOME uses - more below:

Now let's discuss some stuff!!!  First off, I will consider 4 way games such as Pac Man and Donkey Kong in the following discussion.  Why?  Because these types of games cause the most problems for an all around stick.  As background these games used a 4 way joystick with 4 -micro (or leaf) switches and a diagonal restrictor plate that prevented you from activating both switches at the same time.  Now let's look at some options for playing these from my experience (and a little bit of inference (49 way sticks)).

Restricted 4-way sticks (such as a Prodigy in 4-way mode):  this is the way the game was designed to be played.  There is little error in MAME, because as you rotate from right to up, the sticks (if properly adjusted) never actuate both microswitches and tend to have only a VERY slight deadzone as the RIGHT microswitch releases just before the UP microswitch activates.

8 way Sticks (such as a Prodigy in 8 way mode):   This is where the controversy comes in.  As you rotate from right to up, the UP microswitch will activate before the RIGHT microswitch releases.  Before the UP switch activates and after the RIGHT switch releases, only one switch is pressed and MAME will have no problem.  But during the time that both switches are pressed, MAME has to guess whether the player meant to change direction or just accidentally moved the stick, and sometimes it guesses wrong.  (There is also a difference in FEEL as it is possible to move the sticks to the diagonals and there is no natural pocket to hold the stick in a primary direction, but IMHO, this is a minor issue).  (Another minor nuance is that almost all digital 8 way sticks tend to favor the diagonals, either because of a square restrictor (Prodigy) or a square actuator (Comp), or other factor (Super), making them counter intuitive for 4-way games).

Analog Sticks:  Hanaho (HotRod) used to have a saying on their website:  "Ever play Pac Man with a flight stick?  IT SUCKS!"  The statement is true, but the reasons have nothing to do with the above problems in MAME.  A normal analog stick has a resolution of 256x256 positions that the stick can be in.  MAME (or most any software emulating a digital joystick with an analog stick, will carve this up into a chart like the one RandyT posted above.  This very closely approximates a true four way digital stick (note that no diagonals are allowed), so the only confusion factor for MAME comes in when the stick is EXACTLY on the diagonal line, which is a very small percentage of the area.  (And the center "deadzone" which is usually adjustable.)  The reason a flight stick sucks is because of the way the stick is constructed.  A digital arcade stick is designed with a short throw, and a strong (relatively) return to center.  A PC flightstick is designed for flight sims, so the stick has a huge amount of travel and a very weak return to center.  This means that you can't change directions quickly, but not that you will have errors because MAME gets confused.  But in theory, if you designed an analog stick with short to moderate throw and medium to stiff return to center, it should work well in MAME.  (Except again, the motion is circular, not square.)

49-Way Sticks with the DRS modes:   This is somewhere between the analog stick and just a digital 8 way stick.  The reason the DRS modes are necessary is b/c the stick's resolution is only 7x7 (49 ways) rather than true analog. To get a better idea of where I am going with this   Create a 6x6 table in word, or a 7x7 matrix on graph paper.  Note that of the 48 non center positions, 12 of them are directly on a diagonal and will create the same type of confusion you get with a 8 way digital stick in 4 way games. 12 of the positions are directly on a primary axis and only create confusion in Q Bert.  The remaining 24 positions can be easily resolved which gives you the advantage of less areas in the confusion zone than you would have with a digital 8-way stick.  Somehow the DRS modes resolve the coarseness of the matrix in a way that I don't understand and RandyT is not saying, but it seems to work out very well (again with a somewhat circular motion).

So where am I going with this:

First, I see little usefulness of the Mapping software and functions of the sticks.  For 4-way games MAME already does this for you.  All you are doing is dividing the matrix more coarsely, and then basically telling MAME to use "sticky mode" (too complex for this post) (which it would anyway) over a larger diagonal area due to the smaller resolution of the matrix.

Basically, I suspect that for playing 4-way games, or 8-way games, or 2-way games, the stick will probably perform better with the default (no software mappings, pure analog mode) than with the mode that you would specify in software, but I will let someone else test this out.  PLEASE!!!

There are two exceptions to this - one of which is useful.

As many of us are aware, Tron used an 8 way leaf joystick with a large actuator and a diagonal restrictor plate, making it difficult, but not impossible to hit the diagonals.  Basically, for light cycles and tanks, you need a 4-way stick and for the spiders and color tower stages you needed an 8-way.  I don't think MAME accounted for this (someone should try to add it into MAME) in it's analog digital interface code, but you could come up with a software map for the Ultra Stik to accomplish this.

The other example serves no practical purpose other than to show what could be done   Galaga 3 used an 8 way stick and allowed you to move the shooter up and down.  Let's say I wanted to simulate playing this game on a standard Galaga machine (for some weird reason).  I think I could go into MAME and change the IPT_Type for Galaga 3 to 2 way and recompile, but I could also just use the two way map with Andy's software (or now that I think about it, I could just map UP and DOWN to N/A in MAME, but why take the simple solution).

Finally, this is not intended as a slam on the Ultra Stik.  It may be the best stick yet for digital games (and some analog games) which is 90% of MAME.  Testing will reveal that aspect, but I do think the software is probably usually not required.

I also think that how successfully the stick works will be mainly decided on the basis of feel, travel, and return to center stiffness.  That said, I would be surprised if the stick can simultaneously work well for Sinistar, Star Wars, and Pac Man, but I could be wrong.

What would be cool would be an analog stick with variable throw where the short throw can be used for digital games and the long throw for true analog ones   But this would be difficult to accomplish and the Ultra-Stik may work okay with both of them, be interesting to hear how they test out.

In summary - I have two concerns with the Ultra-Stik 1)  Whether the mapping actually gives any value to the operation of the stick (which is a minor concern, b/c you could just use the stick in analog mode if that works better), and 2) Whether it is possible to make a stick with enough travel to handle true analog games (Star Wars, Paperboy) well, but short enough throw to handle digital games (Pac-Man, Donkey Kong) well.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:07:32 pm by Tiger-Heli »
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2006, 01:31:12 pm »
So if you fit the 4/8 way restrictor plate you do get a proper mechanically restricted 4-way joystick that can also easily be switched to 8-way operation. The only possible downside is that some games work better with a circular restrictor in 8-way mode.
Personally, I would rather have the throw be relatively short and the stick be unrestricted than fiddle with adding a restrictor plate, but that's just b/c I share Kremmit's lazyness.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2006, 01:54:03 pm »
I can certainly think of reasons why you might want to program custom maps and not just make do with the three maps detailed in Randy's post. Certain 8-way games work better if there is a bias either towards or against the diagonals. Also, you might want to alter the diameter of the deadzone.

That being said, I'm puzzled by the approach Andy has taken with the software. It seems over complicated to me. For 99% of digital games you could achieve everything you want just by altering three parameters:

• diameter of deadzone
  • Angular size of diagonals (set to zero for 4-way games)
  • 45 degree rotated mode for games like Q*Bert. This could simply be an on/off toggle

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2006, 01:57:10 pm »
Here's the thing:  if you're giong to be throwing restrictor plates and changing it from a four-way to an eight-way with these plates, why even spend the $60 on these sticks?  Why not just get a regular P360 or one of those Ultimarcs that can switch (don't know the name off-hand, sorry Randy).  I thought the whole point of these sticks was to have the versatility without having to switch around hardware or add extra sticks.  If you're using the stick to replace a "specific" control - then maybe, but otherwise I don't see the point in "plate-switching".

And also, while you can switch from 4-to-8 way, I don't think you can remove the restrictor itself easily for full analog range.  That's more or less what I gathered from the information.

But hey, I love the joystick choices we have now.  Years ago it was basically just Supers.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2006, 02:08:46 pm »
I can certainly think of reasons why you might want to program custom maps and not just make do with the three maps detailed in Randy's post.
You are slightly missing the point.  Randy is not saying "These are the three maps you should use with the Ultra-Stik."  Randy is saying "These are the three maps ALREADY in use when you use an analog stick to play a digital stick game."
Certain 8-way games work better if there is a bias either towards or against the diagonals.
Valid point, in theory at least - I can't think of a real-world example other than Tron, which is not exactly the same - you want 4-way motion except for the extreme diagonals.
Also, you might want to alter the diameter of the deadzone.
Which probably 90% of software designed to work at all with an analog stick already allows you to set.
That being said, I'm puzzled by the approach Andy has taken with the software. It seems over complicated to me. For 99% of digital games you could achieve everything you want just by altering three parameters:
  • diameter of deadzone
Already a MAME parameter.
  • Angular size of diagonals (set to zero for 4-way games)
But this setting alone won't get you a map that works for Tron - well, actually it probably would - something like 12 degrees or 16 degrees maybe.
  • 45 degree rotated mode for games like Q*Bert. This could simply be an on/off toggle
But wouldn't MAME handle this automatically without any map required?

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2006, 02:17:34 pm »
Well as I don't currently own an analogue joystick, I've never explored MAME's support for using analogue joysticks in place of digital ones. If as you say those parameters are already built in to MAME then that's great. However, we shouldn't get too MAME-centric. Some people will want to use these joysticks with consoles, other emulators, PC games, and non-Windows OSes.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2006, 02:22:30 pm »
Also, bear in mind this joystick can be connected to a standard Ipac and thus be used with programs or operating systems that don't support analogue or even USB.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2006, 02:25:06 pm »
Point taken and agreed, but . . .
Here's the thing:  if you're giong to be throwing restrictor plates and changing it from a four-way to an eight-way with these plates, why even spend the $60 on these sticks?
Because you also get the ability to play analog games on them like Sinistar or EPROM or Star Wars, that you can't play on a digital stick.
Why not just get a regular P360
Because you have to disassemble the stick and flip the actuator to go from 4-way to 8-way.
or one of those Ultimarcs that can switch (don't know the name off-hand, sorry Randy).
or the 49-way stick and a GP-Wiz49, or
Ultimarc T-Stick or Mag-Stick or GroovyGameGear Prodigy for above the panel switching.
Ultimarc J-Stick or E-Stick (Happ Universal?), Euro-Stick, GroovyGameGear Omni-Stik, Suzo 500 (for below panel switching)
Happ Super, P360, Sanwa, Seimitsu - For switching after some disassembly.
I thought the whole point of these sticks was to have the versatility without having to switch around hardware or add extra sticks.  If you're using the stick to replace a "specific" control - then maybe, but otherwise I don't see the point in "plate-switching".
I agree.  The point is for the purists that want a restricted stick for true 4-way FEEL.
And also, while you can switch from 4-to-8 way, I don't think you can remove the restrictor itself easily for full analog range.  That's more or less what I gathered from the information.
Ideally, the restrictor should only come into play for 4-way games, and allow full motion for 8-way or analog operation.  That said, I know my Prodigies have a square restictor in 8-way mode (diamond in 4-way) and it is noticeable but doesn't really affect my gameplay.
But hey, I love the joystick choices we have now.  Years ago it was basically just Supers.
Gotta agree with that.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2006, 02:35:06 pm »
Well as I don't currently own an analogue joystick, I've never explored MAME's support for using analogue joysticks in place of digital ones. If as you say those parameters are already built in to MAME then that's great. However, we shouldn't get too MAME-centric. Some people will want to use these joysticks with consoles, other emulators, PC games, and non-Windows OSes.
We aren't getting too MAME -centric.

Just about any game that is set up for an analog stick will have a dead zone adjustment.

I don't know enough about consoles to know which ones would support any USB analog stick, but even if it did, I think it is asking a lot to expect people to plug the stick into their PC, enter a particular mapping into it, and then plug it into their console, if it would remember it (which I think it will).

Other emulators will most likely use the same type of conversion of data that MAME does - it's only logical that they would, although this is also probably the only valid example you have given.

PC games will allow you to set the deadzone, but are also looking for full analog resolution, so no need for maps.

AFAICT, the mapping software only works under windows, so the mapping software is not useful on other OS's.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:40:07 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2006, 02:37:18 pm »

Note:  This and my previous post were originally in a another members thread.  Out of respect for the vendor, I refrained from posting my thoughts in his new product announcement thread as I find that action to be in poor taste.  However, the mods apparently found it desirable to merge the two threads, so here we are....

Actually that's not true because the dead zone won't be circular.

Point taken.  However, the shape of the dead-zone will have little bearing on the ability of an 8-way stick to electronically work as a 4-way.  The angular divisions and mere presence of a dead-zone were more the context in the above quote.

Also, keep in mind that the dead-zone of a switch based stick will be of differing shapes and sizes based on the type / geometric configuration of the switches and the shape / size of the actuator.  All of the possibilities cannot be represented in a single diagram, but the point I was making remains across all of them.

RandyT
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:27:50 pm by RandyT »