Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GP-WIZ 49 question?  (Read 1895 times)

MajorHavoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2015, 09:08:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GP-WIZ 49 question?
« on: June 08, 2006, 05:59:15 am »
Now that the product has been out for a while:
 How do you like it?
How well does it handle the electronic restrictor feature?
Does it play nicely with I-PAC when used in the same cab?

I'm looking to maximize my upcoming cab  :)
 while minimizing the joystick count.   :laugh:

TIA
Mike

ppilot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2020, 01:33:27 pm
Re: GP-WIZ 49 question?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:04:37 am »
I like it pretty well.  I got some used midway 49-way sticks off of ebay and have them in one cab, and some of the new Happs ones in the another cab.  I like the older sticks considerably more (personal preference; they are stiffer than the new ones.  I think a lot of people wouldn't feel this way.)  Also, you NEED the replacement grommet Randy sells for the Happs sticks, they work very poorly without it.

The GPWIZ-49 works fine with an IPAC.  I don't think you need one, but I had an extra (IPAC) and ended up using it (I like the 'shift' function better on the IPAC.)  Either way, no problem.

There are a few games that I have trouble playing.  Q-bert and frogger come to mind.  For the most part though, I think the electronic restriction works very well. 

Hope that helps.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 10:25:12 am »
To add to this: how about Tron? Are you able to play the light cycle phase properly? Also, what Mame compile are you using? I believe PowerMame has some built in extra functionality for the GPWiz?

DeLong20

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2010, 01:28:48 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 11:35:29 am »
I really like mine.  I have the midway 49-way with the GPWiz-49 interface and really like it.  Went together well and had no problems setting it up with MAME .83 and MAMEWah 1.61.  Just follow the instructions word for word and don't skip any steps and you shouldn't have any problems.  You might do some research on Powermame (FE).  It has the ability to automatically switch modes (8-way to 4-way to 49-way to etc).
You mean I can type anything I want in here and it will show up?

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 11:55:23 am »
To add to the Powermame topic, it has intergrated 49 way autoswitching inside the mame.ini.  Otherwise, you can have it do the setting automatically or select what you want for each game.  Sir Poonga created a little program a while back that will also do the auto switching.  You use a batch file to call it up before each game starts.  So in summary, Powermame took the idea of Sirp's and intergrated directly into mame. 

I am very happy with the Midway 49 ways in my cabinet.  Just like the leaf buttons, they took a little getting used to, but I wouldn't have it any other way for the time being.

ppilot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 12:07:04 pm »
To add to this: how about Tron? Are you able to play the light cycle phase properly? Also, what Mame compile are you using? I believe PowerMame has some built in extra functionality for the GPWiz?

Well, the sticks don't work well for Tron, because (obviously) they're not top fire.  I'm sure they'll work perfectly fine for the light cycle phase.

I'm running (I believe) v.103, using SirPoonga's software to do the mode switching.  I believe that this is the ONLY software in use in my cab that's worked first time, straight out of the gate.  It's very easy to set up and use, and he gives very clear, detailed instructions.

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 01:04:35 pm »
So if your using Powermame, you dont need Sir poongas program?? Is standard mame in anyway better than using Powermame, and how does it fair if using a rotary mod with the 49 ways sticks?

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 01:20:18 pm »
Well, the sticks don't work well for Tron, because (obviously) they're not top fire.  I'm sure they'll work perfectly fine for the light cycle phase.

Once we get Julian's joystick handles, I was thinking of performing surgery on a 49-way, that's why I was wondering how they perform in Tron...

ppilot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 02:04:55 pm »
Once we get Julian's joystick handles, I was thinking of performing surgery on a 49-way, that's why I was wondering how they perform in Tron...

Oh, you'll have to let me know how that goes.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll work fine.  The 4-way mode on the joysticks lets you hit the diagonals if you push the joystick to the limit of its throw at the corners (which I understand is pretty much what the Tron sticks did.)  I'm sure it'll work great for you.

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 03:17:14 pm »

Tron works perfectly in 4-way mode.  The diagonals are still active in the very far corner.

MajorHavoc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2015, 09:08:40 am
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 04:25:07 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback :applaud:

Now I just have to decide between the GP-49 and the GP-49 MAX.
Suggestions anyone?

Mike

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 04:39:04 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback :applaud:

Now I just have to decide between the GP-49 and the GP-49 MAX.
Suggestions anyone?

Mike

GP-49 Eco No Solder - You'll be able to easily swap it out if need be, plus cheaper: I used an IDE cable with a barrier strip (Which Randy also sells for cheap) to make the connections on my Keywiz, which is the same circuit board...