Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: IPAC4 and 2 USB Errors  (Read 973 times)

TheNekos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2006, 02:58:26 pm
IPAC4 and 2 USB Errors
« on: June 07, 2006, 10:16:30 pm »
Hi all,

I'm building a 2player and a 4 player mame (One for my house and for my friends) and i cant get iether interface to work. I know i have my wiring correct. When i connected the IPAC4 I got two fast blinks form the player 1/2 LED and then goes constant. Then my computer says that The device malfunctioned while installing and no matter what i do i cant get it to work. Then i got the "unknown device" error and i cant get anything to work with that either. Then half the time the damn thing says its not connected.

I thougth that maybe I wired something incorrectly, so i unhooked everything and jsut ran the board into the PC, same errors. (Oh and i cant get any type of printing to work to notepad, and if i use win-ipc when i try to program it the program says theres no board connected.)

Now.. Iv come to two conclusions, either the boards screwed or Im retarded.

I connected the IPAC 2 and i get the exact same errors. Now i think its maybe my laptop so i hook it into a different computer...... nope.. i get the same stuff. So im assuming im not retarded lol.

I read the faq and the troubleshooting things but.... I ordered these less than a year ago so i dont have any jumpers to change and the board is supposed to be USB native... Then according to the LED self test, two flickers and then a constant means that the board thinks its a PS/2 and my computer says its USB, if thats true how do i fix it because i couldnt find anything that told me what to do.
 :lame:   please help me. All i wanna do....... is play TMNT with my friends. c`mon. please. some1..... help me

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
Re: IPAC4 and 2 USB Errors
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 10:55:26 pm »
I know i have my wiring correct.

This same statement is made very often and, quite often, there does turn out to be a wiring issue. However, since you disconnected everything ...

First question is "is your USB controller working". Can you connect other USB devices ?

Next question is "did you remove the Ipac USB device from Windows between steps". If not, do this and repeat tests. I might also grab IPACFIX from the Ultimarc site

Next question is "are you connecting through a hub". If so try direct to PC (after removing the failed USB device from Windows).

If, after that, things are still strange, drop Andy a note -- he'll sort you out.

Cheers.

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

TheNekos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 11:15:35 pm »
Yes my usb is working, i used a USB controller for ff7 and its fine.

I removed the USB device form windows durring the steps with uninstall, It never came as IPAC device tho, only as unknown device.
I downloaded and entered ipacfix and used it on my registry.
I am not connecting from a USB hub, its going straight into my laptop.

I contacted him earlier but i think hes outta the office until tomorrow

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 01:36:27 pm »
Just a follow-up with nothing really to add as we've hit the limit of my IPac expertise. I expect that Andy will be able to help you out -- the back and forth make take a while due to differences in time zones, but he is a stand-up guy.

Be sure to post back in this thread once things are figured out ... it'll help the next person.

Cheers.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

TheNekos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 02:58:26 pm »
Andy and I have been bouncing emails back and forth and it looks like the resolution is to send some new boards. When i get them ill be sure topost if they worked or not. Oh man i hope they do lol.

I tried everything to get the current two boards to work, i even updated my bios just incase and installed all new usb controllers and updates just to be safe. So, as far as i can tell the problem is the boards themselfs. Hopefully the new ones will resolve any issues.