Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Deus Ex Machina Turbo  (Read 15757 times)

zenmasterbooty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2017, 08:44:17 pm
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« on: June 04, 2006, 11:20:22 am »
We are in the process of designing the second CP for our cabinet and a few questions came up... but before I get to those, I'd like to let everyone know a little bit about the design, and how it came to be. I had posted a few pictures in the past, but never got into an detail. So here it is...the "Deus Ex Machina Turbo"

My brother an I "finished" (thou as you know it's never really finished) building it last year. We constructed the cabinet from two 4'x8' sheets of 3/4" MDF,one sheet of perforated hardboard, and some 2"x4"s. It includes pull-out shelves for the keyboard/mouse and CPU. We used a 21" CRT Monitor for the display, and a wifi card for easy data transfer. Instead of speaker grills, we wrapped the panel in speaker cloth. This was a hard sell to my brother, but we are both satisfied we the results. All the art was done in AutoCAD and Photoshop. We ended up going with a "portal to hell opens up in a nuclear reactor" theme. The art was printed onto giant vinyl stickers and adhered to the cab. Each side is made with only one sticker. This gave us a very clean look. The only mistake we made on the printing was with bezel around the screen, but this needs to be replaced anyway for reasons I'll get to later. We designed the CP to be interchangeable, because we didn't want the giant mamezilla CP that could double as guest bed. The first (and so far only) CP built is a compact 4 player with rotary sticks on the 1 and 2 player spots. It's quite comfortable for four adults to play, and doesn't take up a lot of real-estate. As you can see in the pictures, we chose to separate each players area with a different theme (blood, slime, etc..). On the wings of the CP we hid the main power switch along with a power/reset button for the CPU and a power/volume knob for the speakers. We put a shared pause button in the middle of the CP and a hidden menu button under shelf. The decision was made to have each button a different color, so if one was to ask "what button punches?" you need only say "green" as opposed to "the second button from the left on the top row". We chose player buttons for the coins, but I will soon change them with rectangular lighted buttons. These buttons and the trackballs will most likely be the only locations where LEDs are used. Its a video game cab. It's not a pinball machine, and it's not disco. Now, as for the new CP....

Everyone has there own "classics". Our first CP allows us to play heavy barrel and quartet. The new CP will allow us to play Assault, Tron, Rampart, operation wolf, X-com, and a few classic FPS. The slots on the sides will be holsters. the sticks will be 8 ways with 2 button on each handle. Here are my questions...

We have just enough room between the monitor and the inside walls of the cabinet to fit the LED towers used by the light guns. I plan on replacing the glass covering the monitor with tinted glass and incorporating "windows" for the IR LEDs into a new bezel graphic. Has anyone attempted this before?
Also, can you hook up a Haps trackball to GGG's spinner?
What am I over looking? 

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:26:37 pm by zenmasterbooty »

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
re: new cp
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 11:23:39 am »
more pics

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
Re: New CP
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 11:25:36 am »
yet more pics

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 11:28:01 am »
one more pic

spyderdsm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2009, 01:06:36 am
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 03:06:54 pm »
nice looking cab!!
where did you get those giant stickers printed at??

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 08:43:38 pm »
Yes you can hook up a Happs Trackball w/harness (not the one with the Ps/2 and USB cable) to the Turbo Twist Spinner (have the spinner set up on the Z-axis) and it works great.    here's a link to a panel I built using this method.

http://timoe.blogspot.com

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 10:44:59 pm »
where did you get those giant stickers printed at??

My brother is the one who got the printing done. I'll give him a link to this tread and have him answer that

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 10:55:19 pm »
Timoe,

I'm currently residing in Shanghai and find that 50% of forgin web sites are blocked. The link You have given me ( http://www.timoe.blogspot.com ) happens to be trapped behind the great firewall of China, and can not be viewed. Do you have any other links?

Note: If the word "blog" is in the URL, there is a good chance it's blocked.

Timoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 11:02:57 pm »

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 07:51:56 am »
These buttons and the trackballs will most likely be the only locations where LEDs are used. Its a video game cab. It's not a pinball machine, and it's not disco. Now, as for the new CP....

Bah Humbug!!!

BTW, very nice job on the cab. The vinyl alone must have cost a small fortune. I did not understand the skittled buttons untill I read your description. Not a bad idea.
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2006, 01:13:17 pm
    • PsychoPanda's Secret Grotto
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 01:42:22 pm »
"Secondary Input Access"!!! Great label for the keyboard tray!  :laugh2:

I really like the functional thinking behind the cab. I've had similar thoughts with my cab. If I had the chance to go back...or have more time in the future, I would probably make switchable control panels as well. Dedicated controls seem more fun than a mame-zilla style conundrum.

You plan on playing X-com on your cab?? That's one of my all-time favorite PC games.  :applaud:

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 08:43:06 pm »
"Secondary Input Access"!!! Great label for the keyboard tray!  :laugh2:

We put a number of "gags" in the graphics. Here is a detail of the bezel. It has a few good ones.

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 09:55:37 pm »
me Bro registered for an account 2 days ago, but hasn't been "approved" by the admin yet. Whats up with that? Anyway, this is what he has to say about the stickers...

The vinyl alone must have cost a small fortune.

Yes, a small fortune was spent indeed.  We printed all of the graphics on adhesive vinyl at a FedEx Kinko's.  You can get this stuff at any sign shop, but you better know someone or you will spend between $500 - $1,000 on the prints alone.   All the graphics were designed with the theory that each player would be a texture rather than a color: I.e. player one is a metal, player two is blood, player three is slime and goo, and player four is fire.  Those themes are repeated all over the cab.  The idea was that "green elf" has been done way to many times, so instead of a color for each player, we went with a texture.

Also each system background in Mamewah has been custom made to complement the over all look and feel.  Let us know what you think...

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 01:04:42 am »
I love your theme.  One constructive criticism.  On the Mamewah screen, in the top left, you have transparent slime overlapping transparent slime.  It does not look natural (as natural I guess nuclear slime should look??).

Great job

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 01:56:56 am »
It does not look natural (as natural I guess nuclear slime should look??).

Mr. theCoder,

It seems that you have mistaken our "liquid sodium cooled plasma fusion reactor slime" with the more traditional "heavy water fission reactor slime".  This is a common mistake, and in no way should it tarnish your soul with shame and regret. Honestly, it happens all the time.

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2006, 01:13:17 pm
    • PsychoPanda's Secret Grotto
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 11:03:59 am »
Excellent ideas and great gags! :)

What is the switch on the back of the control panel near the Fire player's side?

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 08:39:15 pm »
What is the switch on the back of the control panel near the Fire player's side?

That is the speaker power/volume knob. It has a little LED above it to indicate it is on/off. It's hidden from view, but convenient.

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 09:21:15 pm »
I'm still wondering if anyone has used the Topgun with it's LED towers behind tinted glass. I really would like to know if it works before I go down to the computer district and spend an hour looking for them. Then spend another hour and a half haggling with the shop owner so I don't have to pay four times more than the locals and three times what they are worth because he thinks I'm a rich American....This would all be much easier to stomach it if I knew it was going to work.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 01:33:02 am »
It does not look natural (as natural I guess nuclear slime should look??).

Mr. theCoder,

It seems that you have mistaken our "liquid sodium cooled plasma fusion reactor slime" with the more traditional "heavy water fission reactor slime".  This is a common mistake, and in no way should it tarnish your soul with shame and regret. Honestly, it happens all the time.
I stand corrected.  I was just thrown off by the shades of green.  This must be coming from an East Coast reactor. 

HCMF

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 10:55:46 pm
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 09:07:04 pm »
All bow before the mighty DEUS EX MACHINA TURBO.  You are nothing.  You are dirt.  Bow before it's might.  For it may save you.

NightGod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 01:11:57 am »
I'm still wondering if anyone has used the Topgun with it's LED towers behind tinted glass. I really would like to know if it works before I go down to the computer district and spend an hour looking for them. Then spend another hour and a half haggling with the shop owner so I don't have to pay four times more than the locals and three times what they are worth because he thinks I'm a rich American....This would all be much easier to stomach it if I knew it was going to work.
Yes, it works-this was covered in the MASSIVE TopGun thread on the boards here-that was one of the things I made sure of before I bought mine, as well.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

HCMF

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 08:25:00 am »
Thank's for the info, my brother and I aperciate the help.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 10:15:33 am »
Timoe,

I'm currently residing in Shanghai and find that 50% of forgin web sites are blocked. The link You have given me ( http://www.timoe.blogspot.com ) happens to be trapped behind the great firewall of China, and can not be viewed. Do you have any other links?

Hey, question, did you get are the parts and build that in Shanghai? I might be moving to Asia in a couple years, and am worried that a project that is anything more than converting a candy cab would be near impossible.

Great cab, I can see a lot of effort put into it  :cheers:

Don't let the internet Popo get ya :P

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 11:05:46 am »
You've been Retroblasted!

http://www.retroblast.com/index.php
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:19:36 am by MameMaster »
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

HCMF

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 06:11:49 pm »
Timoe,

Hey, question, did you get are the parts and build that in Shanghai? I might be moving to Asia in a couple years, and am worried that a project that is anything more than converting a candy cab would be near impossible.

No It was built here in the states, but some of the componets were aquired in China.  I supose you could build one, but getting the building materials would be difficult, at best.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:13:39 pm by HCMF »

arcadefever

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 06:58:36 pm »
that is a very cool design  :cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2006, 01:56:29 am »
Timoe,

No It was built here in the states, but some of the componets were aquired in China.  I supose you could build one, but getting the building materials would be difficult, at best.

Oh well, thanks tho. I guess its candy cab for vigo.

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 11:15:01 am »
I'm just coming back from a week long trip to a steel mill town in the middle of shandong. I finally find place to get on-line. Retroblast.com comes up and our cab being praised. I feel like I just won something. Now I feel obligated to say more about the art, design, and build. I'll write more when I get back to Shanghai in a few days. 

PS thanks NightGod I've been waiting for that one

MovingTarget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 01:05:28 pm »
Wow great job on the theme.  I really like the gags as well.  It's just so cool seeing something as creative as this, you and your brother should get a mamey or some other type of special recognition!

:notworthy:

HCMF

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2006, 11:39:25 am »
You said Shandong.

It's funny everyone talks about the art, for it was probably the most difficult part.  It took some time to find the right sub-straight to print on.  Adhesive vinyl was the best way to go.  You can lay it down on the MDF with little to no problems; due mostly to the fact the MDF is so porous.  Printed with UV photo inks, it will last almost forever, and shouldn't fade.  It's also water resistant, or splash proof.  So a beer spill here or there is not an issue.  Not that I advocate drinking and gaming or anything.  As long as you overprint laying the vinyl down is not too terribly difficult.  I say this for it was by far the largest "sticker" I have ever put down; the side panels are 1 piece each and are about 4 feet wide and just over 6 feet tall.
     Most of it was made sending files back and forth from The Peoples Republic of China to The Republic of Texas.  (The size of some of the files is a bit nutty, and the amount of layers in Photoshop got to the point that it was almost un-manageable)  My brother made and rendered all of the "3d" elements in a number of programs, and we would shoot ideas back and forth. 
     What you don't see from any of the pictures is that every system select screen in MameWah is custom, made too match the overall look and feel of the Machine.  The best part that we haven

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 07:18:34 am »
Ok,

I

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 04:53:37 pm »
I noticed that animated GIF may be a bit confusing, so I

camsauce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2015, 06:39:26 pm
    • Spencer*Arcade
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 12:38:08 am »
I was with ya until the spinning Max Headroom animation.  Great job on the cab, I dig the nuclear logo bleeding onto the CP from the bezel, good call.  I do have a huge complaint about this cab.. you have blood and slime but, no vomit or steaming piles???  :angry:

ps. I think it's only fair to include some Mutant League Football characters on the Genesis section.

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 05:12:39 am »
I was with ya until the spinning Max Headroom animation. 

Well, I

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 02:50:29 pm »
I noticed that animated GIF may be a bit confusing, so I
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

HCMF

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 06:45:08 pm »
Ok I pluged the VB in and damn, I wish I was in that board room when they gave it the ok to produce.  That must have been one hell of a sales pitch...   

That floating head is just wrong.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 10:50:30 pm by HCMF »

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 09:16:41 pm »

That floating head is making just wrong.

[quote author=MameMaster
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 04:24:56 am by zenmasterbooty »

HCMF

• Offline Offline
Re: Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2006, 05:48:44 pm »
 :blah: :blah: :blah:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 07:44:13 am by HCMF »

jlfreund

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2023, 06:26:07 pm
    • My project's blog
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2006, 02:25:15 pm »
I am shamed.  I'm about half way through with my Ultimate Arcade II project, but after seeing this one, I feel like giving up.

Nice job.

Jason

zenmasterbooty

• Offline Offline
  • Deus Ex Machina Turbo
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2006, 03:28:29 am »
Jason,

There ain't nothing wrong with an Ultimate arcade II. I believe it's one of the most time tested and proven designs that allows for a great deal of personalization and creativity......Unless you go and paint it black. If you just paint it black, you should feel some degree of shame.