Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: cutting the corners for over/under coin door  (Read 4803 times)

llama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2023, 09:51:51 pm
cutting the corners for over/under coin door
« on: June 03, 2006, 07:36:15 pm »
I'm cutting out the hole in my front panel for the Happ over/under coin door, which has 1 inch radius curve corners.  The book says to mark 1 inch up from each corner and then use a 1 inch hole saw to cut the corners.  If its a 1 inch radius curve, then shouldn't a 2 inch hole saw be used?  This may just be a typo in the book. Unless I'm mistaken, a 1 inch hole saw will produce a 1/2 inch radius curve.

llama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2023, 09:51:51 pm
Re: cutting the corners for over/under coin door
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 01:13:36 am »
Well, if anyone is interested, I ended up cutting the corners with the 2 inch hole saw.  Ultimately, it probably wasn't necessary to try to be that exact, since the over/under door has a 1/2 overhang.  If I had to do it again, I would just draw out the outline of the door with the curved corners, and then cut it out freehand with a jigsaw.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 09:49:18 pm »
If I had to do it again, I would just draw out the outline of the door with the curved corners, and then cut it out freehand with a jigsaw.
Thats exactly what I did, which worked out well because of the half-inch overhang.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 05:14:21 pm »
I totally messed up the curved cutouts of my coindoor and it completely doesn't matter since, as stated, it's covered up.  You could even go square if you wanted to.   The only time you may want to do it properly is if you're front is a door and having people see an imperfect cut will bother you.

ChicagoDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2023, 11:08:23 am
    • Dave's Website
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 09:24:12 am »
I used "squared off corners" and had the problem of seeing 4 tiny holes at each corner since the coin door was actually rounded.  I ended up having to repair this by cutting 4 corners off of a piece of MDF and hot glued them into the corners of the holes.  I then used wood filler to fill the gaps and sanded the whole thing down.  After paint, the problem was fixed.
Homer Simpson:
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."