Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4/8 way switching a Suzo Inductive ?  (Read 14546 times)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
4/8 way switching a Suzo Inductive ?
« on: May 25, 2006, 02:11:45 pm »
Since Powermame can automaticaly select the settings for a 49 way stick, is it also possible for Powermame to switch "only" between 4 and 8 way and output a signal to switch a relay ? Maybe only an electronic relay can do the job, but the software needs to be able to do this before the hardware can be designed. How does the 49 way selection work ?

Thanks !

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
Re: 4/8 way switching a Suzo Inductive ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:44:22 pm »
PowerMAME uses the GP-Wiz49 hardware to switch 49-way sticks and has nothing in common with the Suzo Inductive hack that you're thinking of.

The simplest solution that I can see would be to use an LED-Wiz, since PowerMAME already has LED-Wiz support. You could use one of the LED-Wiz's outputs to trigger a relay that switches the stick between 4 and 8 way. You'd need to be able to tell PowerMAME that a specific LEDWiz output is used for 4/8way switching. You'd also need a config file to tell PowerMAME which games should be switched to 4-way mode. Then PowerMAME would need to tell the LED-Wiz to turn on the chosen output when a 4-way game is played and turn off the LED-Wiz output when you finish playing.

orbian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2007, 01:27:17 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:44:35 pm »
The switching uses the protocol for the GPWiz49. The GPWiz49 is a USB device so I suppose if you were able to create another USB device with the same protocol then it would "just work". In reality I'm sure that is not very practical. You could take a look at the source code that Mike created and then change it to send serial data to some controller that you create to fire a relay.

Orbian

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 04:31:25 pm »
How about dedicating a keyboard LED for this ? I've got a J-pac and it can output this as a signal, and instead of a LED I can connect a low-current relay. I'm not interested in using the LED's for anything else.

I also think there are some people rotating monitors with relays this way, depending on the orientation of the game.

Since Powermame "knows" when and how to switch a 49 way stick, why couldn't it carry out the (simpler) task of switching  between 4 and 8 way ? The information needed is apparantly already there ?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 05:48:38 pm »
Shameles bump !

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 01:06:30 pm »

I'm reading it... been thinking about this concept too, though I was actually thinking of the serial based code addon mentioned above.