Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TRON JOYSTICK HANDLES (Recasting) PART 1  (Read 62141 times)

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
TRON JOYSTICK HANDLES (Recasting) PART 1
« on: May 10, 2006, 07:45:39 pm »
OK Guys..  As promised here are a few pictures and Part 1 of the Re-Casting Tutorial for the TRON Joysticks.

The finished sticks will be available soon.... but I'm still working on a price. I'm hopeful that it will come in under around £12 GBP  per set. That's about $19 to $20 USD at the current exchange rate. This will include the two stick halves and the trigger.

Rather than use the commercial process, that we normally use when casting things, I felt it was important to do this using a more domestic approach, that would allow as many people as possible to have a go at casting their own parts if they want to. So! Lets get started.

Materials List:
1 X Original Item. To cast from  (In this case a TRON Stick Handle)
2 X Litres of (18 Shore A) Silicone Rubber Mold Compound
2 X Cans of Silicon Rubber Catalyst (Hardener)
1 X Can of Thixotropic Compound (Thickens the pouring rubber)
1 X Roll of Brown Packing Tape.
1 X Large Sheet of Mounting Cardboard
1 X 5 Kg Bag Of Plaster Of Paris
1 X Kg of Wax Based Plastiscene (Non Setting Modelling Clay, MUST be wax based and NOT Oil Based)
4 X Glass Beads about ½" in diameter.

The above plus some nylon mixing jugs, scales, stirring sticks and a few other bits and bobs comes to a total cost of around $120 USD. (excluding the cost of the item you are casting from).  Silicone Rubber Mold Compound is not cheap stuff!!  But there are a few things we can do to use the minimum amount, and still retain the mold integrity.

This is the rubber we are casting the mold with. It produces extremely fine detail reproduction and hopefully will produce some very nice re-casts when we get to the resin stage.  The detail it can reproduce is as fine as a finger print on the surface of the object.  Silicone Rubber molds however, are not perfect and like a copy of anything, the finished item will never be 100% the same as the original and will have some process induced blemishes!! Pretty close to perfect though and for our purposes, as near as we need to get.

Here's the Joystick half that we're going to cast from. We need to block up any large holes or gaps to stop the rubber flowing into the inside. Otherwise we won't be able to get it out of the mold. Smaller holes like the screw holes can be blocked with a piece of packing tape. Very little, will actually stick to packing tape, including most resins and mold compounds.
Silicone Rubber has some very interesting properties. One of them is that it is self releasing! That means that we don't have to use any release compounds or waxes to get the mold to separate from the original item. The same applies, when we later come to pour the resin into the finished mold, no release compound is needed, thus helping to preserve the detail.

Next we mount the stick half onto a board, which is again covered in packing tape to make separation easier.  You will also see that we have half embedded the glass beads into the surface. These will form a depression in this half of the mold, and allow the second half of the mold to be accurately re-located when we come to cast from it.

Although it's not shown in the photograph, the bottom of the stick has been sealed with some of the Wax Based modelling clay, this is again to prevent the rubber flowing into the inner part of the stick. The clay MUST! be wax based. Oil based versions will react with the rubber as it sets and prevent it curing properly.

Now we form a wall around the original object to retain the silicone and plaster. Again this is covered in packing tape. The object is retained on the board, with a single screw just to keep it from moving.

Once this is completed we mix the Rubber and the Catalyst in the proportions listed by the manufacturer. In this case, the Catalyst is coloured bright red, so it's easy to see when the two are properly mixed.  Stir carefully and slowly!!! This is very important, as we don't want to introduce air bubbles into the mix.  We also added a Thixotropic Agent at this stage, to make the compound slightly thicker and to stop it from flowing straight off the object.

This is the part where Brax (Brad) has a heart attack as we cover his lovely joystick handle with all this rubber goop!! Making sure that all of the surface is well covered.

Sit back! Have a cup of tea and wait two hours for it to set up.

Next we pour a layer of Plaster Of Paris over the top to almost fill up the box. This will act as a mother mold and support the finished rubber mold when we come to cast in it.

Once it has all set, We turn it over and prepare to cast the inner half of the mold. More pics to follow.......... Sometime Soon...

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 12:25:36 pm by sirwoogie »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
Re: TRON JOYSTICK HANDLES (Recasting) PART 1
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:46:54 pm »
Wow!

Fozzy! I'm impressed. Very good work. Nicely documented.

Beyond my technical skills. I'd gladly buy one if we can figure out how to get it to work with the lightcycles. I'll be watching with great interest!

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 09:01:54 pm »
This is the part where Brax (Brad) has a heart attack as we cover his lovely joystick handle with all this rubber goop!! Making sure that all of the surface is well covered.

Sit back! Have a cup of tea and wait two hours for it to set up.

First ... and most crucially ... Brax -- are you local to TO ?  I need to buy you a drink or two. Failing that, where are you and I'll find someone to get you a drink or two!

Second ... but almost as crucial ... HUGE tks to Fozzy (I believe I committed to two trans blue and two trans red, if you choose to do red ... still in)!!!!

Cheers.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 10:33:31 pm »

holy crap this is beyond kick ass - http://retroblast.com/newsitem.php?cid=1340

rdagger

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 12:40:09 am »
Great tutorial, definitely want to see more.  I've had failure after failure trying to make silicone molds.  I just opened a HSIII mold tonight that has been sitting on my desk for a week and it is a complete failure.  I guess I need a good scale to better measure the ratios.  The HSIII is $30/lb. U.S. at my local hobby store.  Too bad their isn't a cheaper substitute or a recipe for home brew silicone.  Thanks for the tip on the Thixotropic compound.  I think you are going to be flooded with orders.

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 03:13:09 am »
Looks awesome!  Put me down for at least one!
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

D5A1AC

• Trade Count: (0)

Alcathiax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2009, 11:32:59 am
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 09:41:00 am »
Stupid question...you just casting the sticks or are you working on something that will resolve the Lightcycle jaggies issue also?

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 09:53:22 am »
Is it done yet?

;D

Hurray Banana

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2016, 02:11:08 pm
  • My unique teaching style
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 10:20:25 am »
This is looking good, I'd definitely be up for some of these.

Keep the pics coming.
Cheers Eric

TZ Pinball, PowerDrift upright, 4 vertical Mame cab and 8 way 2 player Mame cab

Quarters

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 08, 2010, 06:53:17 pm
  • I am not now, nor have I ever been, a llama!
    • Quarters Arcade Site
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 10:56:54 am »
Great work. Thanks for posting!

I have some experience molding war game miniatures in both lead and Alumilite plastic. I am very curious about the resins You will use for the final product.

Warning for the novice:
wearing latex gloves while working with RTV/silicon rubber seems like a good idea and is recommended in some places. Beware, Some RTV/silicon rubber products will not cure after being exposed to latex. This will leave you with a sticky mess covering your original piece. I found this one out the hard way :-[

Looking forward to PART II
97.4 percent of all statistics are full of crap.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 12:49:26 pm »
Thanks Guys! I'll keep the pictures coming whenever I can find the time.....

Thanks also To "Retroblast" and "Make Magazine" for the articles.... Very nice guys!!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

MinerAl

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2023, 07:11:28 am
  • duck
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 02:50:03 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Thanks for the tutorial, and the potential to seriously improve the state of many of our CPs.

Excellent work.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 03:18:04 pm »
Pretty amazing stuff -- excellent work.  I hope this turns out!   :applaud:

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 04:26:10 pm »
 :o

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 04:27:31 pm »
Thanks for the further comments guys!

Just a quick note.... Please don't PM me asking to be put on the list or asking me how to order them. I'm really snowed under with work right now and just don't have the time to answer 30 PM's...

There is actually no list, I'm not running one. They will only go on sale once they are complete, out of the mold and ready to ship. Please note that the suggested price is provisional and subject to the deal I have managed to arrange on the bulk resin!! It may go up or down at the time it gets ordered. I'm doing my best to keep the price as low as I can.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 06:08:56 pm »
Heh, I was betting you'd regret mentioning the $20 figure, since it's now quoted in two publications.  :laugh2:

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 06:30:51 pm »
Heh, I was betting you'd regret mentioning the $20 figure, since it's now quoted in two publications.  :laugh2:

LOL  :laugh2: Not regretting it at all..... It's very probably the correct figure! and it's not likely to move by more than a dollar or so anywany.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 07:42:04 pm »

Not quite a heart attack but my pulse has quickened a bit. I'm looking forward to the pics of my handle OUT of the mold!  :cry: Ha!

Seriously though, great work Fozzy. I think it's beyond cool that we're getting some reproductions of one of the coolest arcade sticks ever created. Good on ya!
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 09:06:39 pm »
Fozzy, I don't see mention anywhere on the quality of the materials...  Care to comment on that?  Would these be suitable for replacement on a cab that is in the field?
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 02:17:20 pm
  • I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 09:19:21 pm »
Very nice work. I would be interested in one as well if it ever works out.

Thanks Foz!
Vids:  Home built MAME machine, Crystal Castles. Arkanoid
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

Always on the lookout for buying 90's game with Ramps that need work...

joe35car

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 09:37:11 pm
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 11:28:52 pm »
just awesome. I'll be getting one of those.   :cheers: :cheers:

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 11:59:38 pm »
NO MORE!!

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 07:24:13 am »
Fozzy, I don't see mention anywhere on the quality of the materials...  Care to comment on that?  Would these be suitable for replacement on a cab that is in the field?

The finished items will actually be stronger than an original. The originals are injection molded in Polystyrene, and therefore slightly brittle. Even more so with age. So yes the copies should be perfect for restoration because the resin we will be using is stronger and very slightly flexible.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:26:17 am by Fozzy The Bear »

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 07:59:54 am »
I'm trying to follow the process here.... So this will give you the outside details of one half; what about the inside details? Will there be 4 casts taken in total? I feel like I'm missing the obvious but I can't quite envision how it'll work out.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 08:07:09 am »
I'm trying to follow the process here.... So this will give you the outside details of one half; what about the inside details? Will there be 4 casts taken in total? I feel like I'm missing the obvious but I can't quite envision how it'll work out.

Yes Brad.... Exactly that... We'll be making the inner half of this side when we turn it over.

That's why we embedded the glass beads. So that we end up with a depression in this half of the mold. When we turn it over and pour the second half of this mold, those depresions will fill with rubber and ensure that we can accurately align the two parts of the mold when we come to pour the resin.

I'll be posting the pictures of that in the next couple of weeks.  The complete mold set for the two sides of the stick is in four pieces.

Plus of course another two piece mold for the trigger.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 08:22:18 am by Fozzy The Bear »

Teebor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2009, 12:39:06 pm
  • What does this button do??
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 09:14:14 am »

Fantastic work Fozzy, Its bringing a tear to my eye to see such work and the resurrection of such a great stick.

I imagine you have more orders than you can shake a stick at already :D

Can't wait for them to be finished and I myself would love to have at least one. 

one final note

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
How was your french toast dear?
Smelly and ungrateful
-American Dad

Luckydevil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2007, 01:38:45 pm
  • mmmm.... kilowatts.
    • Garage Junkies
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 11:28:38 am »
I didn't see it mentioned... will the handles be translucent blue like the originals?

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 12:14:13 pm »
One more general casting question.

Is there a theshold for how much Thixotropic Agent you can use depending on the complexity of the part? Could it ever impede it from running into all the fine detailed bits or is this unlikely?

MinerAl

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • duck
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 12:32:05 pm »
...Thixotropic...

You can't just make up words.  ;)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 03:37:30 pm »
...Thixotropic...

No, but you are allowed to use them after someone else does.  It's in the rule book. :)

Nice job, Julian.  Just a heads up on a couple of issues one might run into.  De-airing of the mold compound, and most likely the resin, is usually recommended.  The silicone I have is supposed to be subjected to a vacuum at a high enough level to cause the silicone to double in size and collapse before it is poured over the master.  Stirring slowly and carefully is very good advice, but even so, there could still be a lot of air in the mix.  If there is, it probably won't be much of an issue unless the bubbles are right next to the interior surface of the mold.

The real test will be the ability to get the resin into all those small and intricate areas of the mold without using a vacuum.  You may already have this planned, but I thought I would bring it up just in case.

RandyT
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 05:19:42 pm by RandyT »

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 07:27:17 pm
  • If we weren't all crazy we would go insane... JB
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 04:20:10 pm »
...Thixotropic...

Silly rabbit Tixotropics are for Kids.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2006, 12:32:07 am »
I didn't see it mentioned... will the handles be translucent blue like the originals?

UV reactive blue?

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2006, 12:27:28 pm »

UV reactive blue?

Translucent Blue... and possibly Red as well......  UV Reactive, ermmm don't know yet! I'll take a look at that.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2006, 12:31:53 pm »
Nice job, Julian.  Just a heads up on a couple of issues one might run into.  De-airing of the mold compound, and most likely the resin, is usually recommended.  The silicone I have is supposed to be subjected to a vacuum at a high enough level to cause the silicone to double in size and collapse before it is poured over the master.

Thanks Randy..... This particular silicone is actually very good at achieving a result without de-gassing.  Although I would normally do that. it will certainly be done with the resin. The reason for not doing it here is that I wanted to show the route 99% of people could follow to actually achieve a result at home, without using the commercial methods that we usually use.

It actually works pretty well!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2006, 12:34:42 pm »
Is there a theshold for how much Thixotropic Agent you can use depending on the complexity of the part? Could it ever impede it from running into all the fine detailed bits or is this unlikely?

Yes there is.... In this case it's 5% but that only applies to this particular brand (check with your supplier for other brands and ask them to provide data sheets).  If you do add 5% you end up with something that is about the consistency of butter, and you can then apply it with a palette knife.  So you would still be able to get it into all of the details, if you did that.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 12:43:43 pm by Fozzy The Bear »

rdagger

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2006, 02:57:09 pm »
For people who want to try it themselves, I just had some luck casting some volcano lens.  I used Alumilite which is kind of expensive, but I found another casting resin by Environmental Tech that is much cheaper.  I haven't tried it, but it looks good.  It comes in clear and there are dyes including translucent blue.  They also have a translucent pearl that would be cool or maybe you could make a red, white & blue stick.  To eliminate the bubbles, I've been curing the resin in a paint tank pressurized to 45 PSI.  I should have taken some pictures of the process, but I have had so many failures that I stopped filming.

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2006, 06:53:18 pm »
Julian,
Since "very little sticks to silicon rubber" won't you have trouble with the plaster of paris mother mold sticking to the silicone rubber mold? Do you have to laminate or tape them together or do you just let gravity do its bit?

I'm also interested in seeing how you get the resin into the two piece mold.

This is better than tv.  8)

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2006, 01:57:28 am »
Julian,
Since "very little sticks to silicon rubber" won't you have trouble with the plaster of paris mother mold sticking to the silicone rubber mold? Do you have to laminate or tape them together or do you just let gravity do its bit?

I'm also interested in seeing how you get the resin into the two piece mold.

This is better than tv.  8)

Usually you just put a couple of rubber bands around the whole mold set.... that's the two outer mother molds and the two inner rubber ones.  You don't want to squeeze it too tightly otherwise the rubber will get distorted and the finished object will get a bit squashed in shape.

There are a couple of methods for getting the resin in there. I'll try and illustrate all of them when we come to do the casts.

There is one thing about "resin in and air out" that I just noticed I forgot to document in Part 1.... I'll make sure there's a note on that in Part 2

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2006, 08:41:57 am »

Translucent Blue... and possibly Red as well......  UV Reactive, ermmm don't know yet! I'll take a look at that.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Possible leads on UV Pigments.

http://www.dayglo.com/products_nightglo.asp  (Untested)

http://www.specialtycoatingschem.com/pg-3.htm#k-color  (Reccomended by http://www.lumicast.com/)

http://eagerplastics.com/7702.htm

I got these links from a discussion on the Yahoo Casting group.  The first one had not been tested by anyone on the group.  The other two were reccomended by peopl that had actually used them.

Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2006, 08:48:56 am »
For people who want to try it themselves, I just had some luck casting some volcano lens.  I used Alumilite which is kind of expensive, but I found another casting resin by Environmental Tech that is much cheaper.  I haven't tried it, but it looks good.  It comes in clear and there are dyes including translucent blue.  They also have a translucent pearl that would be cool or maybe you could make a red, white & blue stick.  To eliminate the bubbles, I've been curing the resin in a paint tank pressurized to 45 PSI.  I should have taken some pictures of the process, but I have had so many failures that I stopped filming.

Thoses resins are a different sort of animal.  I know for a fact that the first one on the pages has a rather powerful smell. Kind of like nail polish, only stronger.  You can usually smell it even from inside a brand new unopened can.

The mold materail on that site is a liquid latex.  Latex tends to shrink as it cures, which is not a good thing when you are trying to replicate parts.

The silicone molding materials have very little (almost none) shrinkage at all.
O2em Rom Utility

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2006, 09:10:45 am »

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Possible leads on UV Pigments.

http://www.dayglo.com/products_nightglo.asp  (Untested)

http://www.specialtycoatingschem.com/pg-3.htm#k-color  (Reccomended by http://www.lumicast.com/)

http://eagerplastics.com/7702.htm

I got these links from a discussion on the Yahoo Casting group.  The first one had not been tested by anyone on the group.  The other two were reccomended by peopl that had actually used them.

Thanks Erik, I'll take a look at those.... It might slow things down a bit if I have to order them in and I'm also not too sure that they will ship transatlantic, due to the fact that they're chemical compounds. but I'll pass the brand names to my local supplier and see what they can turn up.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

rdagger

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006, 02:03:10 am »
I've been having problems with my clear casts coming out sticky to the touch.  Is there anything you can do to reduce the tackiness?

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2006, 03:09:13 am »
I've been having problems with my clear casts coming out sticky to the touch.  Is there anything you can do to reduce the tackiness?

Using what resin and catalyst in what type of mold and how are you getting it in there??

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2006, 04:13:33 am »

I once tries the  'Environmental Tech'  clear resin.  Had the same 'sticky' problem.   

It seems you have to have "perfect"  measurements.   They wanted you to calculate actual "volume" and maybe even weight.   Since I didnt have a weight scale or any other simular method.. (id long forgotten such math works)  I guessed.   Well..  I guessed wrong. 

Too much hardener.. and it will be briittle and crack.  Too little, and it wont cure fully.  (or may take years to do so.. if ever)

I  also left the unused 'can' sit too long untouched.   While the cap was on tightly..  it somehow managed to harden itself over time.   :(   A pile of money down the drain.  :(

Alumilite was much easier to work with.. but seemed to have drawbacks. 
The major one was strength.  Anything thin was pretty frail.   And if you dropped a piece.. or threw it.. it would break appart - whereas 'real' plastics would not.    Large parts did faily well though. 

I believe sometimes I had trouble with it being too mushy even after the said 'de-mold time'.  Strange, because sometimes it was perfect, and others... with the same exact mix, was bad.  I then pre-heated the molds, and that seemed to help.   

(in hind-sight, this may have been caused when  "mixing"  both parts..  and not haveing
a perfectly blended mix.   But.. if mixed very vigorously, I think I got air bubbles into the stuff.  a mechanical mixer of some sort may work better...) 

Occasional air bubbles too... if your not very carefull when pouring.  Which is a bit tricky.. givien that you have to mix both parts well.. and pour the suff in slowly.. all before 2 or 3 minutes, upon which time it will harden.

Cant use 'clears', unless you have a vacume supposedly. 

The silicone rubber was pretty damn expensive.   Of course, I didnt realize to try useing
part Plaster either.  :(    Still... if a mold fails..  you feel Very bad $.  :(

You couldnt expect to make thin stuff like an encoder wheel.  Found that out the hard way.  :(   Spokes broke when trying to extract the part.  Then more broke,  when handled lightly.

Not sure how durrable it would be for active mechanical stuff either.

Ohh, and I also let a jug of the stuff sit too long.. and it also hardened.  :(   Took a lot longer than the E.T. stuff..  but all the same...  :(

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2006, 04:56:01 am »
Xiaou2

That's all because you used the wrong resins for the job you were doing, didn't mix them properly, in the proportions specified by the manufacturer, and didn't follow the instructions.

Most people have major and expensive failures when they do it that way.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2006, 10:00:16 am »

Some of those clear "encapsulating" resins found in the craft stores are very difficult to work with.

From what I understand, the reason is that some of the stabilizing agents normally found in standard polyster resins have been removed to give it the crystal clear appearance.  I tend to think that this is true, as standard polyester resin is much easier to get a good result with, but is nowhere near as pretty to look at.

There are other water clear casting materials that work better, but they aren't as accessible or as inexpensive.

RandyT

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2006, 01:03:26 pm »
Tackiness, Oily Residue, and Failure to Fully Cure ("The fruit roll-up effect" ) are usually caused by inaccurate measuring.  Brittleness can also be a result of improper measuring.

Read the labels carefully.  Some resins need to be measured by volume, and others are by weight.  Do not assume that a 1:1 ratio resin can be mixed either way.  The two parts often have different densities.  1:1 by volume resins are usually the easiest to work with, but not always the best for a given application.

Careful, Gentle mixing can reduce the number of air bubbles.

Pressure casting can greatly reduce the number of air bubbles.  Mainly by squeezing them down to microscopic size.

Done properly, Vaccum casting can pretty much eliminate all bubbles by literally sucking the air out of the resin.

Pressure and Vaccum require resins with longer open (working) times.

Pressure and Vaccum casting can be dangerous if not done with proper equipment.

O2em Rom Utility

koz319

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2013, 12:13:45 pm
  • So much time, so little to do.
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006, 04:54:55 pm »

Found an interesting vid on casting with a silicone mold - I'd never seen it done before.

Can't wait for some Tron repros!

Koz

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006, 05:41:50 pm »
Wow that's fascinating.  That looks like some expensive equipment there though.

rdagger

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2006, 06:12:01 pm »

Using what resin and catalyst in what type of mold and how are you getting it in there??

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

I'm using Alumilite clear with a 2 piece mold (1 half HS3 and the other half quickset RTV )
I've been measuring by volume instead of weight, because I don't have scale.  That could be the problem.
I guess I need to find a very accurate scale because I'm making very small molds like volcano button lens that only require a few drops of resin.

I've been heating the molds in a microwave and letting them cure overnight in a 45 PSI tank.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2006, 07:40:38 am »
I'm using Alumilite clear with a 2 piece mold (1 half HS3 and the other half quickset RTV )

OK that should work....

I've been measuring by volume instead of weight, because I don't have scale.  That could be the problem.

That's almost certainly the problem. If you measure 5% by volume it won't be the same as 5% by weight as the resin and the catalyst are different densities.

I guess I need to find a very accurate scale because I'm making very small molds like volcano button lens that only require a few drops of resin.

Electronic kitchen scales are quite good enough... and to get accurate mixing, you should never mix less than about 200Ml

I've been heating the molds in a microwave and letting them cure overnight in a 45 PSI tank.

Ermmm.... not a good idea!.... let your molds cure naturally over a period of about 4 weeks, before you use them. You'll get much better results.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2006, 08:59:28 am »

Found an interesting vid on casting with a silicone mold - I'd never seen it done before.

Can't wait for some Tron repros!

Koz

I have seen video before.

That equipment is very very expensive, and not really practical for most hobby/small business needs.

It is very cool though.  Depending on the model, it will vaccum de-air the resin, pressure cast and heat cure all in the same device.

O2em Rom Utility

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2006, 01:26:21 pm »
It's been long enough. Where are pics of a new home-made tron shell??
NO MORE!!

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2006, 07:53:17 pm »

Patience!!! Please!!!   I'll be posting part 2 of the mold making tutorial in the next two weeks....

After that, I'll get the first pics of the first shell out of the molds up! Just be patient! Good things come to those who wait......  ;)

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:23:38 pm by Fozzy The Bear »

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2006, 12:02:46 am »

If I can wait, you can wait longer too.

rdagger

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2006, 05:34:53 pm »
I found a tip that dipping the parts in baby powder helps if the parts are sticky.
I tried it and it works.

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2006, 02:18:21 pm »
Hey Julian:

I just got the first sets of handles you shipped out: they look fantastic! Thanks!

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2006, 03:05:44 pm »
Hey Julian:

I just got the first sets of handles you shipped out: they look fantastic! Thanks!

What reason do you have for wanting to start a riot?

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

MameMaster!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2006, 03:38:11 pm »
Hey Julian:

...you got yours too? they're awesome aren't they? Thanks Fozzy!

:laugh2: (sorry I couldn't help myself)
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2006, 08:44:44 am »
I meant to send that message in a month from now...

::)

jcoleman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:05:19 pm
  • RTFM
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2006, 09:25:14 am »
Put me down for one of these!

horseboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2006, 09:48:12 am »

50 red-faced Tron fans simultaneously exhale

saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2006, 09:32:29 pm »

50 red-faced Tron fans simultaneously exhale

Glad you like the "Virtual Tron Handles" you recieved....  I'll be even happier when your virtual payment for them arrives here. Of course if your "virtual payment" doesn't arrive within the next 48 Hours I'll be happy to instigate "Virtual Legal Proceedings"  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Cool you toes dudes!!!  Part two of the tutorial is in progress!!  Things have been very busy at work in the last few weeks, we hit tourist season, when all hell breaks free and I have to keep a lot of machines running.  It's called making a living and it's what keeps a roof over my head and means I can afford to buy materials to do the Tron Handles!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2006, 09:55:58 pm »
You didn't receive your payment yet? I'll have to call my bank - The Bank of Harpal, and complain! It's probably stuck in transit - darn couriers!!!

Can't wait for Part II - thanks for keeping Tron alive and restored...

:applaud:

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2006, 09:54:07 am »
I'll have to call my bank - The Bank of Harpal, and complain!

ROFL..... Didn't you know that the "Bank Of Harpal" is obviously the former "Bank Of Credit And Commerce International"  AKA "BCCI" and clearly associated with the "Bank Of Paypal"  :laugh2:

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

teef two

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2006, 08:21:45 am
  • Mmmmame
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2006, 05:47:47 am »
Just checking to see if there's an update.

Hurray Banana

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2016, 02:11:08 pm
  • My unique teaching style
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2006, 05:27:24 pm »
Any updates on these Fozzy?
Cheers Eric

TZ Pinball, PowerDrift upright, 4 vertical Mame cab and 8 way 2 player Mame cab

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2023, 04:02:41 pm
  • I already built my own arcade controls!
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2006, 07:32:17 pm »
Any updates on these Fozzy?

Wondering the same thing here.  Any yet?

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2006, 09:14:19 pm »
Sorry guys ..... No updates to report yet....

Things are progressing, but slower than I would have liked them to.... Just too busy at work right now to get much more done.

Things should start to slow down at work in about a month or so, and then I can get back to some serious work on these.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Steve

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2009, 06:18:34 pm
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2006, 10:06:44 pm »
The  controller looks awesome, and I need a new one for my Discs of Tron (well I'd like 2)

When do you think you'll have more available ?

Steve
The 80's is what it's all about.....

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2006, 06:15:27 pm »
Is this a dead project?  Been a long time since any updates.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2006, 04:15:35 pm »
Things should start to slow down at work in about a month or so, and then I can get back to some serious work on these.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2006, 10:37:17 pm »

Try reading the thread!!! DOH!!  :banghead:

I'll be back to working on these some time towards the end of next week.... That's not to say that there will be updates here at that time! just that I'm still on it!!

For the very small minority of you guys, who want everything yesterday,  Try to remember that what I do I do solely in my free time...... and as I work for a large arcade and it's tourist season right now, I don't get much of that!!

To the rest of you guys who have been patient... Thanks dudes! It's all still in progress.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2006, 12:21:07 pm »

Try reading the thread!!! DOH!!  :banghead:

I'll be back to working on these some time towards the end of next week.... That's not to say that there will be updates here at that time! just that I'm still on it!!

For the very small minority of you guys, who want everything yesterday,  Try to remember that what I do I do solely in my free time...... and as I work for a large arcade and it's tourist season right now, I don't get much of that!!

To the rest of you guys who have been patient... Thanks dudes! It's all still in progress.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

By the way...I DID READ the thread, I was wondering since it had been pretty damn close to a month on the date I posted. 

OK so I was 2 days early, relax.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 12:23:03 pm by rbarr110 »

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2006, 02:33:28 pm »

Can we lay off of Fozzy, please ?

If you don't own the handle he borrowed, then he doesn't owe you anything and we've had enough pestering ... clearly he is busy with RealLife(tm) and the attitude and impatience isn't helping anybody.

And we wonder why more folks don't do repro projects.

Cheers.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2006, 03:04:34 pm »

If you don't own the handle he borrowed, then he doesn't owe you anything and we've had enough pestering ... clearly he is busy with RealLife(tm) and the attitude and impatience isn't helping anybody.

And we wonder why more folks don't do repro projects.

Cheers.

I am not trying to be pain in the ass, all I asked was a simple question and got an uptight answer, so I responded in a similiar manner.  I am simply curious on how well this is going (or not going well) since I am very interested in doing my own mold for a non-arcade related project.

I just dont understand on asking if the project was dead is such a horrible thing to ask, the question wasn't a personal attack, or a demand to have the project done now, SIMPLY A QUESTION.

Damn, now I need to relax.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2006, 03:19:30 pm »
got an uptight answer, so I responded in a similiar manner. 

For me, THAT was the problem (hence, my quoting it) ... if you want something from somebody (especially if you're getting it for free), throwing attitude is probably the LAST thing you should do.

And, from the thread you can see how Fozzy could think that you are hounding him ... you may, in fact, be perfectly content to wait and are grateful for Fozzy sharing the experience -- I just don't think that is coming through in your postings.

Cheers.

Sizzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2008, 12:28:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2006, 05:50:42 pm »

By the way...I DID READ the thread, I was wondering since it had been pretty damn close to a month on the date I posted. 

You need to relax and lose the attitude.   Clearly you either didn't read the thread or you don't understand what the words "or so" and "get back to work" mean. 

He says he won't even be able to get back to work on these for a month or so and you think that means 24 days later he should be posting or the project is dead?   ::)

Fozzy had every right to respond to you as he did.  Chill out and let the man do his work.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2006, 08:25:41 pm »

You need to relax and lose the attitude.   Clearly you either didn't read the thread

Damn, now I need to relax.
Perhaps you didn't clearly read the threads, I already stated that.   ::)

Fozzy said in "ABOUT a month or so", to me the use of "about" is not a definite time frame.  It could be sooner or later than a month or exactly a month.  To me, 29 days (not 24) between Fozzy's post and my post is ABOUT a month.    Fozzy could have simply said, no I haven't had a chance to get back on it, instead I was flamed for my question and told to read the post, which I have, several times.

I have sent a PM to Fozzy already apologizing for my response to his response, it wasn't mature, and I should have let it be. 

I, however, am NOT apologizing for asking if the project was dead, I still don't see how asking that is inappropriate.  Perhaps I should have just asked if there were any updates yet.

I am done with this, I will sit back, wait, and hope things work out well and never ask the status of a project again, but feel free to continue to flame me for asking a question.

Once again, sorry Fozzy, not trying to piss you off just curious as of the status, and yes I am gonna relax and let it go, Sizzlers comment just annoyed the hell out of me (probably similar to the way my response did to others).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 08:34:13 pm by rbarr110 »

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2006, 06:10:01 pm »

If you don't own the handle he borrowed, then he doesn't owe you anything

*Brax saunters past the forum*

;)

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2006, 06:12:13 pm »

If you don't own the handle he borrowed, then he doesn't owe you anything

*Brax saunters past the forum*

;)

My drink offer still stands ...

Cheers.

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2006, 06:33:58 pm »
Is this a dead project? 

It's been 4 days since the update on the lack of updates from the previous 29 days prior to the latest heretofore update.   ;D

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2006, 06:46:18 pm »
The update on the lack of updates sadly is dead :'(

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2006, 07:02:12 pm »
But is the shipping free?  And does it work?

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2006, 08:20:00 pm »

Also, will it fit in my basement?

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2006, 08:52:36 pm »

also is the basement noisy?   And if it is, will the updated handles come stock with the noise code?
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2006, 10:59:35 pm »

also is the basement noisy?   And if it is, will the updated handles come stock with the noise code?

update on the update on the lack of updates and an Update on the update on the noise code........ It's damned noisy....... but not quite as loud as the squeeky sound of an impatient update request.  ;D  ;)  :laugh2:

I might have known you bunch of clowns would hijack this at some point.... Damn!! that's what makes this forum so great after all.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

teef two

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2006, 08:21:45 am
  • Mmmmame
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2006, 06:26:27 am »
Damn you Julian, I got all excited for a minute there!  ;D

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2006, 07:30:32 am »

update on the update on the lack of updates and an Update on the update on the noise code........ It's damned noisy....... but not quite as loud as the squeeky sound of an impatient update request.  ;D  ;)  :laugh2:

I might have known you bunch of clowns would hijack this at some point.... Damn!! that's what makes this forum so great after all.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

...So how about an update?  :laugh2: :laugh2:

chips4sle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2014, 10:40:05 pm
  • I'm a llama!
    • www.arcadeadventures.com
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2006, 12:23:48 am »
hey
i would like to know as well whats up
i could really use about 5 sets of blue and red handles
jeff

NightGod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2006, 12:54:21 am »
WTF, this isn't done and shipping yet? Julian should be fired from his non-paying job of making these!!!
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

horseboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2006, 01:01:19 am »
hey
i would like to know as well whats up
i could really use about 5 sets of blue and red handles
jeff

Did you read up more than 1 post? I think I see Fozzy coming....

:timebomb: :timebomb: :timebomb:

saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

Outrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2006, 08:41:54 am
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2006, 01:28:44 pm »
I think we all ought to club up together & send Fozzy a bribe/incentive to getting these out soon  ;D
My wife doesn't understand !!

Zeppo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2024, 10:26:44 am
  • Greetings Program!
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2006, 03:53:30 pm »
I got $5 to add to the bribe money.
Z

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2006, 05:20:07 pm »
 :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

OK Guys..... It's been a while..... I know you want them but I can't give you much of an update right now.

I'll try and knock out "part two" of the tutorial in the next few weeks. I've not been slacking on these, just busy with other things.

SO! Here's the update as it stands.... We have several sets of molds all completed and ready to rock. Brad has had his original stick returned and again many many thanks to him for the loan item. 

I'm happy that we have molds that will produce good casts, but as of yet I'm waiting for the Vacuum Chamber to become free for use... It's busy casting lots of other work related stuff at the moment.  I do need to use the Vacuum Chamber, because as it stands right now, the test casts I've been doing are still trapping some air bubbles and we need to try and eliminate, or at the least significantly reduce those.

I'm still not going to post a date, when these will be available off the shelf.... But as soon as I have a further update I will let you know.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Matth9

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2007, 05:46:56 pm
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2006, 09:25:47 pm »
Thanks for the update  :)

Teebor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2006, 03:53:41 am »

COOL!  Keep on rocking Fozzy   :cheers:
Smelly and ungrateful
-American Dad

MinerAl

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • duck
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2006, 01:36:36 pm »

vader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2022, 12:22:08 pm
  • I can't breathe in this thing !!
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2006, 04:51:09 pm »
are they done yet ?  i want to build my Street Fighter cabinets with Tron sticks and use
the trigger for a macro Dragon Punch.  your really holding up my progress

:badmood:

FunWithFire

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2009, 01:17:30 am
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2006, 08:14:19 pm »
And I want to construct a cabinet using ONLY the tron sticks. I figure I would need about a hundred sets.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2006, 08:45:44 pm »
And I want to construct a cabinet using ONLY the tron sticks. I figure I would need about a hundred sets.

Great... I can retire on the proceeds then! ;D

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2006, 10:56:46 pm »
I'm waiting for the Vacuum Chamber to become free for use... It's busy casting lots of other work related stuff at the moment. 

Work related? What kind of crap excuse is that? Tell your supervisor these are TRON sticks! ! !

;D

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2006, 11:49:42 am »
Will you be casting other colors? Like red?

Thanks,
Southpaw

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2006, 12:36:21 pm »
I'm holding out for the solid gold version....
8)

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2006, 12:55:50 pm »
8)

Hand delivered by Dion Warwick?

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2006, 01:42:21 pm »
8)

Hand delivered by Dion Warwick?

Or Marilyn McCoo..

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2006, 06:36:24 pm »
And ohhh those Solid Dancers (The female ones).

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2006, 12:06:15 am »
 >:D
-- Chad Tower

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2006, 09:47:14 pm »
Almost 2 months since yer last update. Julian, Watch ya got for us?

8)

Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2006, 09:51:22 pm »
Almost 2 months since yer last update. Julian, Watch ya got for us?

More than two months since I've been able to get anywhere near the Vacuum Chamber to do any more tests I'm sorry to say....

So effectively still no updates.... January might be a bit more positive as things are a bit slower on the commercial front. Either that, or I'll have to stop building my current arcade machine and build my own Vacuum Chamber  :dizzy:

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:54:15 pm by Fozzy The Bear »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2006, 09:57:29 pm »
BYOVC!

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2006, 10:00:34 pm »

Makes sense. Good luck getting in there after the 1st of the year. I won't need any Tron sticks before then. Just trying to keep the subject simmering anyway. Gonna want to play Tron on my next cabinet for sure. I kept trying & trying to hold onto the Tron concept for my first build, but gave up on it awhile ago. I will have a Tron stick on cab #2...

Later man!
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2006, 10:00:54 pm »
BYOVC!

Is that "Build Your Own Vibrating Chair" Lew???  LOL ROFL  ;D

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

tranq

• - Banned -
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2007, 05:04:35 pm
  • - Banned -
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2006, 02:40:22 am »
Hey, D_K, I'm surprised no one (or you) has tried to build something like this:

http://rebirth.dgthompson.com/cppanels.html ;  Or, even better, this:

http://arcade.tomvanhorn.com/

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2006, 03:39:11 am »
Is "FAILURE" or a loss of "FIRE IN THE BELLY" over a stalled project too much of a humbling admission for a certain BYOAC'er to confess?

Must YE lead us on...and on...and on...???

Enough already.....just tell us a simple "sorry, it ain't gonna happen" so we can go our merry way and move on.

Sometimes the pressure of expectations by peers can make us spin a web to keep up appearances.

Helluva try tho, Julian. :cheers: 

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2006, 03:40:52 am »
Either that, or I'll have to stop building my current arcade machine and build my own Vacuum Chamber  :dizzy:

Not so bizarre.  I actually did this about a year ago.  It works really well, but I keep waiting for the 1" thick plexi to implode and kill me when I am standing next to it.   :o

RandyT

Zeppo

• Offline Offline
  • Greetings Program!
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2006, 09:39:37 am »
Great.
After reading back over the thread again, and watching the video on page 2 that I missed somehow the first few times through, I'm getting the urge to try this myself.
My family is full of a lot of do-it-your-self-ers, so I bet I could get some help with this.

Then I found this thread about a home-made vacuum chamber.

http://www.housatonicrr.com/VacChamber.htm

And this document:
http://fusioned.gat.com/images/pdf/BiD_vac_cham.pdf

Hmmmm....maybe it really is doable.

Thanks a lot.
Another project.
 :cheers:

EDIT: Well, after a few phone calls and talks with the brothers, it won't be practical for me to attempt any kind of mold making.
Dammit, that would have been cool.

Keep up the great work Fozzy!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 10:20:40 am by Zeppo »
Z

More Cowbell

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2006, 10:50:35 am »
Is "FAILURE" or a loss of "FIRE IN THE BELLY" over a stalled project too much of a humbling admission for a certain BYOAC'er to confess?

Enough already.....just tell us a simple "sorry, it ain't gonna happen" so we can go our merry way and move on.

Sometimes the pressure of expectations by peers can make us spin a web to keep up appearances.

That's the spirit! Keep up the encouragement and we'll all have Tron sticks that much faster.  :lame:
I've got a fever...

DarkBubble

« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2006, 11:01:43 am »
Not so bizarre.  I actually did this about a year ago.  It works really well, but I keep waiting for the 1" thick plexi to implode and kill me when I am standing next to it.   :o

How much do I have to buy to make it into your will?

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2006, 11:17:42 am »

That's the spirit! Keep up the encouragement and we'll all have Tron sticks that much faster.  :lame:

Agreed.  Giving Julian ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- isn't any way to garner favors.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:19:43 am by quarterback »
-- Chad Tower

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2006, 12:16:59 pm »

These statements seem unnecessarily HARSH...Have you never seen the old Heinz Ketchup commercial?
"GOOD THINGS WILL COME TO THOSE WHO CAN WAIT!!"

EDIT: Blaah...Who am I trying to fool, I SUCK at waiting too!! Julian...March into work one day SOON and act like you own the damn place. Grab the Vacuum degasser like you own IT to, and get our dang Tron sticks done huh?

:laugh2:  :laugh2:  JK kidding man!! I still don't need mine for at least 1-2 months...Take your time.   :laugh2:  :laugh2:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 12:52:00 pm by Donkey_Kong »

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2006, 06:30:53 pm »

Agreed.  Giving Julian ---Cleveland steamer--- isn't any way to garner favors.

Hey! don't panic guys....

I normally just ignore stupid comments from morons like WunderCade, but just this once, and just for his information, I'm not stringing anything or anybody out with this thread. All I'm doing is answering questions when people with genuine motives ask them.  I'd also point out that I've made it clear that there is NO guaranteed timescale on this project and it'll be done when it's done!!

He is quite clearly just a Troll out to cause trouble or somebody we all know masquerading under a different title. It ain't working, and my loyalties lie with the genuine guys here not some tit head that has decided to chime in just to piss people off.

It's not often I lose my temper with anybody, and I'm not wasting any more of my time on a loser like him either.  Thanks for you guys support here, but it's really not necessary, because he's such an insignificant  little :tool:

Best Regards
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2006, 07:16:45 pm »
OUCH!!!

Guess I hit a nerve, I always sucked at that game "Operation"...where you can't touch the sides.

Anyways, sorry Julian....I wasn't being negative...just giving you an out, buddy. :cheers:

Hope you prove me wrong...only time will tell and it appears you have time on your side and are using it quite liberally. :applaud:

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2006, 08:24:01 pm »
Gee I wish I wasn't the one to bring this subject back up now...But since I did  ::)

Here are my thoughts...
When Julian gets these done it will be win-win for him and "US". If he NEVER gets them done it will be kinda like: Nothing lost, nothing gained for "US". Either way "WE", really can't LOSE. The only person with the chance to lose (time and money) would be the person or people involved with the experiment.

I don't see how or why this is all so HARD to figure out. I'm pretty damn dumb myself but...I THINK I GOT IT!!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 08:25:48 pm by Donkey_Kong »

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2006, 09:30:16 pm »
The only person with the chance to lose (time and money) would be the person or people involved with the experiment.

Absolutely.... Doing a quick conversion from UK Pounds in my head... the costs to date including silicone and test casts are running at somewhre in excess of $250 USD.

That's a pretty big incentive to make it work as soon as it's practical. I would love to have spent that money on my cab, but I spent it on developing this so that everybody can benefit.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Zeppo

• Offline Offline
  • Greetings Program!
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2006, 10:19:10 am »
Fozzy, do you have any kind of paypal button where you can accept donations and "thank you" money to help out with your expenses?

Z

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2006, 10:28:44 am »
<Havok is waiting patiently, and appreciates all of Julian's work to date...>

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2006, 01:40:05 pm »
Fozzy, do you have any kind of paypal button where you can accept donations and "thank you" money to help out with your expenses?

Thank you for the kind offer... but I get my gratification from acheiving a result and doing something for the benefit of the other members here, and wouldn't dream of doing that.  I mean lets face it, if I was doing this just for myself I could have just bought an original TRON stick for way less money.

I'll be happy enough to get these finished and get them out to you guys as soon as I can, and that's all that matters.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 01:50:39 pm by Fozzy The Bear »

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2006, 11:44:05 pm »

Thank you for the kind offer... but I get my gratification from acheiving a result and doing something for the benefit of the other members here, and wouldn't dream of doing that.  I mean lets face it, if I was doing this just for myself I could have just bought an original TRON stick for way less money.

I'll be happy enough to get these finished and get them out to you guys as soon as I can, and that's all that matters.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Julian you are the man! I have an original Tron stick and a DOT stick that I've gotten since you started this project but I may buy one just to have an extra set of handles. I've noticed the originals are a little brittle after 20 years. Keep up the great work!

Encryptor

lasersoup

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2007, 11:26:03 pm
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2007, 12:31:01 am »
Thanks FTB, this thread is a great starting place for working with this stuff myself. I've started with some simple parts (the trigger and thumb plate) with some success, at least in terms of making the molds.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2007, 06:37:49 pm »
Thanks FTB, this thread is a great starting place for working with this stuff myself. I've started with some simple parts (the trigger and thumb plate) with some success, at least in terms of making the molds.

GREAT!!  That's part of the idea! that's the reason I posted the tutorial, so other people wouldn't be afraid to have a go at this.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

lasersoup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2007, 09:25:25 am »
Here's my first mold, it's not too bad. I decided to start small, in this case, with the trigger.

My first cast didn't work out too well. I did not use enough catalyst for the amount of resin that I used. The mold, I'm fairly certain, is ruined. But that's ok because I know exactly what I need to do now. The part has a layer of sticky resin that probably won't come off. Or will it? I don't want to try anything I'm not sure of because of the possibility of unwanted chemical rxns.

I've got a broken Tempest spinner knob that I'm going to try next, I'll redo the trigger when I'm ready to take on the handle. It does take a lot a planning and patience.

Teebor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2007, 09:30:00 am »
Looks like cheese on toast  :laugh2:

second one looks like mouldy cheese on toast  LOL

Hats off to you guys though as really I would have no clue  :dunno :dunno
Smelly and ungrateful
-American Dad

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2007, 10:51:08 am »
My first cast didn't work out too well. I did not use enough catalyst for the amount of resin that I used. The mold, I'm fairly certain, is ruined. But that's ok because I know exactly what I need to do now. The part has a layer of sticky resin that probably won't come off. Or will it? I don't want to try anything I'm not sure of because of the possibility of unwanted chemical rxns.

If you are using that clear casting resin sold at the craft stores, you might as well hang it up.  That stuff always seems to come out sticky.  Adding extra hardener helps a little, but creates more heat and shrinkage.

BTW, where's the gate for the resin to enter the mold?

RandyT

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2007, 12:07:09 pm »
Looks like cheese on toast  :laugh2:

second one looks like mouldy cheese on toast  LOL

Hats off to you guys though as really I would have no clue  :dunno :dunno

Stop Teebor your making me hungry! :laugh2:

Seriously though guys good job on the effort. You never know one day this might just pay off and you will have the last laugh as like umpteen thousand byo members line up for Tron Sticks. 

lasersoup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2007, 12:08:40 pm »
If you are using that clear casting resin sold at the craft stores
Actually the mold rubber is, I forget the brand but it's latex and not silicone which caused me two problems:

1) Since there is no catalyst it must be brushed on in coats and each coat must be fully cured before the next coat is added.

2) I purchased Alumilite rubber to rubber mold release, I forget what it is called but that's the basic idea, it works but I had to add a tab to start the separation of the two halves. So the release was a little tricky but it worked. The latex is subject to plastic deformation if there are not enough layers when the two halves are pulled apart.

BTW, where's the gate for the resin to enter the mold?

My first plan involved a gate (if I know what you're talking about) however I decided to take a simpler approach and give the first half of the mold as much depth as possible. So the second half is only from one plane of the trigger up, that is, it contains the the pin and about one-third of the fat part of the trigger. Doing this I only had to worry about getting the resin into the mold and putting the two halves together before the resin could run out.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Maybe I need to do this in a separate thread.

One more thing, I forgot to heat up the mold before pouring the resin, how much will this affect the process? The excess seems to have done quite a bit better than what was in the mold, only slightly tacky.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:52:22 pm by lasersoup »

AhPook

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2007, 06:35:06 pm
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2007, 06:35:06 pm »
I have done allot of casting, tried out every sort of resin and epoxy I could find. The best and least expensive (if you don't care about the color) is bondo fiberglass polyester resin.
It's like the environmental tech stuff but is stronger. The only drawback is that it it clear reddish purple. It's at least half the cost of anything else, it's not flexible but I haven't had any problems with it chipping (I make dice). It shrinks a little bit, and use it in a well ventelated area.
I haven't had too many problems with the ET stuff though, just give things a little extra hardener.
I don't know how well any of them would work with things like the tron handles. If you build up the backs of the handles with clay to make them thicker (perhaps allmost solid) it should work fine. If I was doing that I would mix something into the resin to stretch it and save money. I got really great results putting broken plastic bits into my resin (CD cases, taillight covers etc...).
Most hobby two part resins seem pretty brittle (Aluminite), and most casting expoxys are a bit rubbery. Epoxy glues work well but they shrink allot and take quite a while to cure.

Lasersoup- The latex rubber probably affected the cure of your resin, and the resin will probably destroy the rubber. That stuff is mostly used to make molds for plaster casts. I have used it and never got good results with resin. There aren't many replacements for silicone rubber that are any easier, you might be able to make a simple cast like that using a wax mould though. Small amounts of silicone are available from modeling supply stores, along with the special modeling clay that can be used with the silicone.

You could actually make a mold with allot less silicone rubber than Fozzy used, you only need about a 3mm layer of the silicone (enough to prevent tearing) and a support structure to hold it up (like the plaster he used). The thickener is not then needed, which will improve the detail of the cast. My favorite tip for this is to use Lego blocks to build a custom case around your mould, you can get it to a really tight fit, and then the Legos will act as a case to hold the whole thing while you are pouring.

For the trigger I would actually make a 1-part mould, simply make a slightly large sprue out of clay and support the trigger with it and then pour the silicone around it. When cured the silicone is fexible enough to remove the part through the sprute hole.

Another modeling process that would be of intrest is brass etching, you could easily make the light interrupter wheels for trackballs and spinners using this method.

lasersoup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2007, 11:08:55 pm »
Thanks Pook, I've given up on the latex and I've purchased some Dow Corning HSII. The latex was cheap but it took forever to make molds and I believe you're right about it affecting the resin and it probably has something to do with silicone being a better insulator than latex, I don't know. BTW the ET resin is what I've been working with, I'm going to have a go at working with alumilite which is actually a bit cheaper than the ET resin it's just not as readily available. Hopefully I'll have something to show for all this soon. Thanks again.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2007, 12:58:45 pm »

Don't know how I missed this thread before... but damn, great work, patiently awaiting the handles now too, I'm in for multiple sets when done.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2007, 03:06:15 pm »
Fozzy,

I've been following this thread as it has progressed. I have a question I'm hoping you can give me some info about.

Below is a pic of the restrictors in the Tron and DOT joysticks. I'm not an expert by any means but the seem to me to be made of some kind of fairly stiff urethane. Is there anything in the casting field that could be used to make these? It's one of the major differences between the two joysticks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Encryptor

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2007, 07:12:28 am »
Fozzy,

I've been following this thread as it has progressed. I have a question I'm hoping you can give me some info about.

Below is a pic of the restrictors in the Tron and DOT joysticks. I'm not an expert by any means but the seem to me to be made of some kind of fairly stiff urethane. Is there anything in the casting field that could be used to make these? It's one of the major differences between the two joysticks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Encryptor

Strangely enough.... yes there is.... First of all, for people who don't know why they're a different shape and why they're made of a tough rubber compound; The DOT restrictor is 8 Way... The TRON restrictor is 4 Way, but if you push hard enough you can hit 8 Way as it flexes the rubber.

Now on to recasting them.... First take a "soft grade" silicone rubber mold from them.  Then cast them in that mold from a "Hard Grade" Silicone Rubber. It should be just about right for the application. You can also get Urethane as a casting material, but it would in fact be too physically hard for the application. The originals are actually cast in the same rubber that is used for those clear skateboard wheels that you can get.

Hope that helps.....

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 07:14:02 am by Fozzy The Bear »

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2007, 07:19:13 am »

Strangely enough.... yes there is.... First of all, for people who don't know why they're a different shape and why they're made of a tough rubber compound; The DOT restrictor is 8 Way... The TRON restrictor is 4 Way, but if you push hard enough you can hit 8 Way as it flexes the rubber.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
i was wondering about this as klov has them both down as 8 ways , but tron is a 4 way is it?
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2007, 08:05:33 am »
i was wondering about this as klov has them both down as 8 ways , but tron is a 4 way is it?

Strictly speaking TRON is an 8 way..... But the restrictor makes it 4 way unless you push hard towards the diagonals whn you can hit two contacts at once. This is so that it behaves like a 4 way while you're playing the ligh cycles section. Otherwise that would be unplayable.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »
Fozzy,

Thanks for the info. I thought they were made of some kind of urethane or hard rubber. Any suggestions / links for the rubber? I'm sure there are several to choose from and I want to make sure to get the right one.

Encryptor

shorthair

« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2007, 09:56:09 pm »
...This is so that it behaves like a 4 way while you're playing the ligh cycles section. Otherwise that would be unplayable.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

I disagree. Even without a U360, one just has to be fairly precise in their directions. Of course, you could always map another stick on the panel for 4-way. Since I don't have a top-fire, and am right-handed, I use the spinner with my left and the 2P stick, with my pinky pushing the closest button for fire, etc. On the light cycles board, I switch to the 1P stick while still using the 2P button I use for other boards.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2007, 10:44:12 pm »
...This is so that it behaves like a 4 way while you're playing the light cycles section. Otherwise that would be unplayable.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

I disagree.

You can disagree all you like.... That's the way they were originally built.

If you play the Light Cycles with a normal 8 way, then you can hit the diagonals when you don't intend to and get very strange results, making it much harder to play.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2007, 10:51:18 pm »
Thanks for the info. I thought they were made of some kind of urethane or hard rubber. Any suggestions / links for the rubber? I'm sure there are several to choose from and I want to make sure to get the right one.

RTV Silicone Rubber usually comes in soft medium or hard grade.... You need the Hard Grade for the restrictor. Most commercial suppliers will understand this if you explain it to them. I could only give information for my local UK supplier, which is probably not much use to you.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2007, 05:55:29 pm »
I just got some casting materials I ordered and I came here to look at the tutorial again but none of the pics are loading for me.

Anyone else having this issue?

It's like the first part of the thread is completely missing. There are pics inside quote boxes but the original message where the quote came from is gone.

Help please!

Encryptor

horseboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2007, 08:18:11 pm »
Yep, the whole tutorial is gone, not just the pics. The whole first part of the thread is missing.

saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2007, 08:36:09 pm »
Yep, the whole tutorial is gone, not just the pics. The whole first part of the thread is missing.

YUP!!! It seems to have vanished!!! No idea where it's gone to.... I haven't edited it. 

It seems that the forum has thrown another wobbly fit and lost it from the database  :hissy: :hissy: :hissy:

Maybe somebody should report this to Saint. I don't have a copy of it either.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 08:38:05 pm by Fozzy The Bear »

sirwoogie

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 10:16:38 pm
  • It's Hollyfeld in a Winnebago!
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2007, 09:39:40 pm »
Fozzy,

The forum reports your topic was edited on May 10th. Do you remember doing this? Perhaps you had an edit that went awry?

This is the first time anybody has reported a thread truncating such as that. The forum software database layout makes this scenario almost impossible to occur. If anything, the entire thread would have gone wonky. I could possibly pull this from backups, but drilling the backup down to a single thread is extremely intensive and time consuming. If you have other means to find the original, lets try that avenue first.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2007, 08:10:44 am »
Fozzy,

The forum reports your topic was edited on May 10th. Do you remember doing this? Perhaps you had an edit that went awry?

Yes it reports it was last edited on May 10th, 2006, 07:55:33 PM  not May 10th 2007.... I'm absolutely sure that I haven't edited it at all since 2006.

I honestly don't have a copy of the original. The only thing remaining from that first post appears to be the first few lines.

Thanks for looking at this.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2007, 09:03:30 am »

Do you have your original pictures?  This would be a good time to move that to the Wiki if you do.

sirwoogie

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 10:16:38 pm
  • It's Hollyfeld in a Winnebago!
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2007, 12:36:04 pm »

Yes it reports it was last edited on May 10th, 2006, 07:55:33 PM  not May 10th 2007.... I'm absolutely sure that I haven't edited it at all since 2006.

Yeah, I guess I should read better.  :o

Well anyway, the thread has been fixed.  The wayback machine pulls another one out. :notworthy:

I also took the liberty of attaching the images to the first post along with referencing the original images via IMG src tags to restore the original article. I would suggest as CT pointed out that you should really wiki-fi this topic. The Wiki is really the more appropriate place now for topics such as this.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2007, 03:52:28 pm »

Well anyway, the thread has been fixed.  The wayback machine pulls another one out. :notworthy:

sirwoogie - Thank you very much for fixing this! It is much appreciated.

Encryptor

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2007, 07:08:41 pm »
I would suggest as CT pointed out that you should really wiki-fi this topic. The Wiki is really the more appropriate place now for topics such as this.

Thankyou for recovering it.... Much apreciated....

I agree completely. I'll take a look at the relevant section of the WIKI and submit some edits for inclusion in the next couple of weks.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

telengard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:49:33 am
  • Yeah, it's a classic! 21+ on BYOAC and still goin
    • S T U R C A D E
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2007, 07:46:13 pm »
Wow, not sure how I missed this thread.  This is so awesome.  Gives me hope that someday I can make some real red handles for my Satan's Hollow joystick.

And yep, as mentioned, playing the light cycles w/out that restrictor is almost impossible.  The xenophobe joystick doesn't cut it.

~telengard
S T U R C A D E     M.A.M.E. Cabinet
http://www.briansturk.com/mame.html

DarkBubble

« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2007, 02:39:12 pm »
Wow, not sure how I missed this thread.  This is so awesome.  Gives me hope that someday I can make some real red handles for my Satan's Hollow joystick.

How about a Sark-themed Tron or Discs of Tron? ;D

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2007, 08:18:19 am »
Any updates on this recently?

Fozzy - I was able to get the right urethane and make the restrictors for the Tron stick. I made a conversion doc here. I'm selling the restrictors if you know anyone that needs one.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=71229.0

And yep, as mentioned, playing the light cycles w/out that restrictor is almost impossible.  The xenophobe joystick doesn't cut it.

~telengard

~telengard - Check the link above if you want to change your Xeno stick into a Tron LIKE stick.

Encryptor

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2007, 09:32:11 am »
Any updates on this recently?

Not really... I've just not had time to get to it. I'll try and explain why...  I've been out of the loop now for about four or five months. partly because we're only just coming to the end of tourist season and the arcade has been an absolute nightmare to keep running this year. On top of that I'm having major contract hassles with my employer, who is treating me absolutely appallingly.  That really has to take priority over anything else at all right now.

It's kind of kept me out of the forum for quite a while  :cry: :cry: :banghead:

Fozzy - I was able to get the right urethane and make the restrictors for the Tron stick. I made a conversion doc here. I'm selling the restrictors if you know anyone that needs one. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=71229.0

Very cool indeed!! Nice work on those restrictors.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

facesmiths

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2011, 07:53:05 pm
  • nemo goggles
    • Borg Steam Factory
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2008, 08:05:40 am »
man you and brax sound a tiny bit like those tv commercial peeps for the home fix ups and stuff (hope this does not insult cause it is not meant to) like tim allen from home improvement but with out all the catastrophies heh heh.

to bad you guys have to have real jobs and such to get in the way cause a tv show version of this would be awesome

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2008, 10:53:21 am »
Way to drag up an old thread for no apparent good reason!

But since you didn't I will.

Fozzy, you took too long on this project. A guy has been selling repros on ebay recently based in the U.S.
Tron repro handle

Ebay user name:  specialtyplastics1

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2008, 10:56:34 am »

$60 shipped!  Great deal. 

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2008, 02:05:30 pm »

So.... since it has been ABOUT 2 years from when I asked this question the first time, I figure an ample amount of time has passed to avoid the ridiculous amount of flaming for simply asking the question ......

:laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:09:08 pm by rbarr110 »

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2008, 02:44:43 pm »

Whoa ... deja vu ...

* CheffoJeffo checks the calendar and hoses his response down with the fire extinguisher

No more flames from me on this one.

stan2323

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2023, 06:05:19 pm
  • Major Retired USS Enterprise Commanding
    • My home page
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2008, 03:27:01 pm »
Way to drag up an old thread for no apparent good reason!

But since you didn't I will.

Fozzy, you took too long on this project. A guy has been selling repros on ebay recently based in the U.S.
Tron repro handle

Ebay user name:  specialtyplastics1

I got one.  They look great and are an exact match from what I could tell.

Stan
Careful what you wish for you may get it!!
There are 10 kind of people in the world those that understand binary and those that do not!!

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2008, 04:11:54 pm »

Whoa ... deja vu ...

* CheffoJeffo checks the calendar and hoses his response down with the fire extinguisher

No more flames from me on this one.

:cheers: back at you.  ;D

facesmiths

• Offline Offline
  • nemo goggles
    • Borg Steam Factory
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2008, 05:53:46 am »
sorry I found this after I already made another thread about getting a decent image of the internal form of the stick (lay half with flat side down on flatbed scanner and scan) so I could replicate it in a hard wood like coco bola or ebony. I am worming on a couple steam punk based cabs and would like some info to start from. eventually I will try to ge tot a star wars yoke made steam punk as well.

I just did not seem to find any reason to repost that info here then and they really do strike me as that sort. a youtube video of this process with them bantering would actually be as worth doing as anything else that has been done entertainment wise as well as being a bit educational on the casting process for those whom wish to know

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2008, 09:03:27 am »
GUYS!!!! PLEASE!!!

I never made you any promises that there was  ANY Time-scale on this..... I made it quite clear from the start that I wasn't making those sort of promises.

NO! It's not a dead project... It's a shelved project, until I actually have free time to do it.

Right now I'm in the middle of a huge Court battle with my former employer who at this point in time owes me something in excess of £7,000 GBP (the equivalent of at least $14,000 USD)  Not to mention significant additional compensation... This has been ongoing for a very significant amount of time and I'm under huge amounts of stress as a result of it.

So I really don't appreciate the negative comments!! OK!!   No promises were ever made to you!!! In fact quite the opposite.  So basically anybody who wants to whine about it can go stick it up their arse!!!  :angry:

Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2008, 09:10:34 am »
Holy crap Fozzy. I had to look back and make sure we were reading the same thread. Take one of these and call me in the morning.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2008, 09:28:18 am »
Holy crap Fozzy. I had to look back and make sure we were reading the same thread. Take one of these and call me in the morning.

Yeah! well I'm not chilled right now.... You try living under the cloud of struggling to survive for the last year and a half and having to go through the Courts just to get what's right and fair to you, from some total dirt bag, that's tried to abuse every legal employment right that exists and then has the absolute damned nerve to try and fight it to the last inch!!!! and still hasn't paid me what he owes.

It blights everything! Which is why I've not been on here a hell of a lot for the last few months.

Life's a ---smurfette--- right now... So don't be surprised when I bite peoples heads off, when they make stupid comments about a project that would dearly have loved to have finished long before now.

Excuse me while I just go outside for a second and beat the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of something with a large hammer...... :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2008, 09:42:49 am »

Excuse me while I just go outside for a second and beat the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of something with a large hammer...... :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Best of luck with all of that. Hopefully when the dust clears it will have been worth the fight.

HoopstarsGarage

• Scratch Building Demi-God!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2016, 09:24:11 pm
  • Scratch Building Demi-God..
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2008, 10:10:14 am »
..and you guys wonder why individuals are reluctant to take on such projects!!

I am ---smurfing--- appauled at certain individuals. :angry:

Fozzy - I wish you the best of luck with your battles and hope your personal life works out for you - something that is FAR more important than some stupid arcade hobby..

Hoops

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2008, 10:17:56 am »
Well I sure hope that you get what is rightfully yours. Good luck.

moloch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2022, 06:22:19 pm
  • I'm an ill'llama!
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2008, 12:49:29 pm »
I am not trying to hijack this thread I just have a quick question.

I have a Satan's Hollow trigger which I know is basically the same as Tron.
Can you use that to make a mold and then just color it?
Would anyone know or be able to tell the difference?

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2008, 01:18:46 pm »
I am not trying to hijack this thread I just have a quick question.

I have a Satan's Hollow trigger which I know is basically the same as Tron.
Can you use that to make a mold and then just color it?
Would anyone know or be able to tell the difference?

The same thought occured to me as well. I have a Gorf stick and Happs sells a "replacement" stick which, for most intents, seems to be a drop in replacement.

Just looking at the pictures of the plastic handle itself, it looks like something like that is possible. I'll let you know once I find a Tron and/or SH stick to do a direct mold comparison.  :dunno

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2008, 01:24:36 pm »

Are you thinking of starting a project to make some?  I have a NOS Satan's Hollow stick I could be persuaded to lend out if it were a viable project.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2008, 03:35:33 pm »
Are you thinking of starting a project to make some?  I have a NOS Satan's Hollow stick I could be persuaded to lend out if it were a viable project.

I'd like to, it would be an interesting project to do. Except I have serious doubts I could do it any cheaper than what that guy is selling them for on eBay.

Until someone can make new or locate the original metal injection molds for this stick and set up a small run plastic injection business, this is a situation we're always going be in.  :dunno

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2008, 06:17:22 pm »

I'd like to, it would be an interesting project to do. Except I have serious doubts I could do it any cheaper than what that guy is selling them for on eBay.

Until someone can make new or locate the original metal injection molds for this stick and set up a small run plastic injection business, this is a situation we're always going be in.  :dunno

The answer to your questions are that the Satan's Hollow and Tron sticks are more or less 100% identical... The trigger on the happ stick is also the same but they have made internal mods to the stick design to take modern switches. Externally they are the same stick.  The answer here is that Happ own the original molds that were used. So there is not a cat in hells chance of ever getting access to them.

It would require new tooling to injection mold sticks at a cost exceeding about $3000 USD for the mold alone. So the cost is not justifiable in the sales to recover it. But if you could find a market for 3000 sticks, then the price would come down.

The resins involved in making these as a one off item are where the cost comes in, and the equipment. You can't just pour these resins. They have to be de-gassed under vacuum while in the mold and take over 24 Hours to cure. so you can only mold one a day in the mold! slow and expensive.

The other problem is that until they cure these particular resins are extremely toxic. Skin contact for any period can cause illness and even death. Once they cure they become inert.

These are the problems that I was kind of hit with while working on it. There is a solution but it wouldn't produce them for much less than those on e-bay. They are just, well, expensive to make and until I get the rest of my time sorted out I don't have time to further develop a solution.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 06:19:52 pm by Fozzy The Bear »

facesmiths

• Offline Offline
  • nemo goggles
    • Borg Steam Factory
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2008, 03:40:56 pm »
@Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
I to hope all goes better than it has already for you and know exactly what you are going though. thank god you are not dealing with a mending broken lower leg at the same time keeping you from doing what you normally do for a living. (CNC operator/programmer) I have a  small home mill that can work on stuffs even like mild steel and up to 2 inch cut depth on the end mills them selves (total from tool tip to bed is 6 inches so stock that thick can be used) and building a small injection mold unit has been a dream of mine for some time. Who knows. and yes I know how it is with people being impatient especially on things they have wanted a loooong time but have not been able to locate, at least at an affordable level for their budget. :D so I see both sides on this one.
you being on the other side of the pond I don't know what legal recourse you have but I have seen people whom lost a lawsuit take for ever and even say they were not possibly going to pay up once they knew the judgment did not decree that they had a time limit or set stipulations on what sort of compensation the winner got based on time it took to pay the courts decision. the good news is if you know how to you can file an injunction here on the looser if they take more than 6 months and seize all of their assets. in the case of a company where they stop making money the second the sheriff shows with the paper work and kicks everyone out locking up the companies doors, they tend to change their mind and open up those bank accounts fast! I hope you have some similar recourse available to you there.

*edit*

oh yeah fozzy is there any chance you could scan out one of those sides? pretty please?

basicly the best way for me is to lay it (the side used as I only need one side since the other usually is a mirror and I can figure out any differnces my self) inside down on say a flatbed scanner and scan at a decent resolution (high res is not nessacary as I am just going to use it as a guide to trace it in coreldraw and print it out to trace it by hand on the wood then I can make two one as a mirror and do the same on the other piece of wood. the out side I am going to wing it with what info I have already as I am planning on embedding brass on the sides and the top and maybe even a ring of brass at the base around the widest point all to make it very steampunk. (the brass inlay may get dumped if I can find some scrap marble to carve up with a dremel and Tungsten bit and just use a brass washer in it to spread impact for the brass bolt/nut assembly to hold it together. and finally tagula nut (is something people use as a substitute for ivory) for the trigger and possibly a back button so it can be used for discs of tron as well :D)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 03:48:11 pm by facesmiths »

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2008, 04:58:09 pm »
oh yeah fozzy is there any chance you could scan out one of those sides? pretty please?

Thanks for the support.....   I'd love to help you out with the scan, but I borrowed a stick to make the molds from and that's long ago gone back to Canada.

The molds being a negative of the stick and being made of rubber are a bit difficult to scan.

A cheap alternative for your application would be to buy the black stick shells from the Happ trigger stick. They do sell the shells as a separate item.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:00:32 pm by Fozzy The Bear »

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2008, 11:07:56 am »

I have a NOS Satan's Hollow stick I could be persuaded to lend out

Can you be persuaded to sell it to me?   ;D

I have a Satan's Hollow with a Tron joystick and I'm looking for a Satan's Hollow.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2008, 11:21:44 am »
Can you be persuaded to sell it to me?   ;D

I have a Satan's Hollow with a Tron joystick and I'm looking for a Satan's Hollow.

No, because I've been looking for a lonely Satan's Hollow like that for myself.  It will eventually end up on an original cab.  I just haven't come across any.