Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atomarcade.net Encoder Review!!!  (Read 5895 times)

ckenney11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2010, 03:19:54 pm
Atomarcade.net Encoder Review!!!
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:07:22 am »
Review of the Atom Arcade Hydrogen arcade controller by Ckenney11

While trying to decide which of the Encoders to go with for the arcade that I

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
Re: Atomarcade.net Encoder Review!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 12:45:06 pm »
My trackball was at first was pretty sluggish but after doing a little research on the forums came to the conclusion that my Imperial 3
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

Tahnok

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2008, 06:09:25 am
  • Error recording error codes. Remaining errors lost
    • Table Arcades
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 09:31:04 pm »
I was going to buy one of those a while ago, but decided against it until someone else checked it out. Thanks for the review. I have no problem soldering the connections to save some (instead of buying a full mini-pac).
Note: Out of town with limited internet access 2-28-08 through 3-16-08

Bartop/Countertop Cabinet Kits For Sale

ckenney11

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 08:47:34 am »
My trackball was at first was pretty sluggish but after doing a little research on the forums came to the conclusion that my Imperial 3

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:11:11 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 01:54:32 pm »

Get a buddy to help and start pressing down buttons (joystick diagonals, etc.) one at a time until they stop registering and see how many you can press simultaneously.

They might have worked around the USB keyboard limits, but it would be a good thing to add to your review regardless.  Keep in mind that some of these things, a simultaneous keypress limitation in particular,  can get chalked up to player error when that really isn't the cause.

RandyT

ckenney11

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 04:13:08 pm »
I asked the creator of this product about key limits and losing key inputs and this is what he had to say.

"We have not seen any issues with losing keys over USB.  USB HID devices are "polled" (interrupt-in) approximately every 10ms and each USB keyboard report can hold 8 modifier keys and 6 standard keys for a total of 14 keys.  Also each key is a dedicated input into the controller so it should not be missed."

I'm not really sure that this a good answer to the how many input question but I will try to see how many you can press simultaneously for my self.  Thanks for letting me know.  I will post as soon as I find out.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:11:11 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 11:30:54 am »
I'm not really sure that this a good answer to the how many input question but I will try to see how many you can press simultaneously for my self.  Thanks for letting me know.  I will post as soon as I find out.

The answer is good, but doesn't tell the whole story.  Based on their response, If you go with MAME defaults, the answer is a total of only 9 simultaneous keypresses.

If you want to use an application where modifier keys (CTRL, SHIFT, ALT and WIN) cannot be used, that number dwindles to only 6.

So it looks like one would need to carefully select the keys used to avoid potential difficulties.  FWIW, these types of limtations are inherent in some shape or form to all current USB keyboard based controllers.  Some, as does this one apparently, just suffer from it worse than others.

An actual confirmation of this from your tests would be helpful, so thanks in advance for providing the info.

RandyT

Tahnok

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2008, 06:09:25 am
  • Error recording error codes. Remaining errors lost
    • Table Arcades
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 04:21:00 am »
Found the original thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48250.0

This may clear things up a bit.