Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gun Errors.... relates possibly to LCD and ACT Labs Guns.  (Read 1488 times)

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
Gun Errors.... relates possibly to LCD and ACT Labs Guns.
« on: April 28, 2006, 06:10:44 am »
This is just a bit of information that might or might not be of assistance to people with these guns.......

I do remember somebody saying that they had a problem with the gun tracking half way across the screen then starting to track vertically instead of horizontally. I can't find that particular thread at the moment but the following information may bear some relation to it.

I've just been repairing a House Of The Dead 2 Machine at work, where exactly the same thing was happening.

The gun would track half way across the screen then the cursor would start moving vertically instead of horizontally......

I first of all checked the cable continuity to see if there was a fault there.... No Fault....

I then checked the trimmers on the gun input board.. and found that the problem was reduced if they were cranked all the way round.... Assuming that it was a faulty board, I replaced it with a new one.  £300 later and the problem was still there!!! but much less so!

It seems that the the gun sensors were also faulty, and the software was interpreting the defective input board and sensor inputs in a very strange way. SO! out came the guns and replacements put in.... Finally problem solved.

This is interesting, simply because of discovering the way that the software was actually interpreting the inputs. I'm not sure if this has any bearing on Guns being used with MAME but the symptoms are certainly similar.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 06:12:31 am by Fozzy The Bear »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.