Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cab wiring suggestions  (Read 1034 times)

infiniteomega

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2010, 12:39:08 pm
Cab wiring suggestions
« on: April 26, 2006, 02:46:39 pm »
So I'm going to be starting on the woodworking for my cabinet this weekend provided weather is good, and want to get a jump on the wiring for it, but I'm having trouble deciding on the best route to take with regard to the wiring.

For the most part this cab is going to be for mame and consoles.  However I do plan on being able to plug in arcade pcbs later down the road.

At first I thought I'd just hook my video/controls/etc up to individual rotary switches so that I could choose the different machines.  But this meant I needed a separate switch for player 1, player 2, video, and audio.  That's a lot of switching, even if it is relatively easy.

Then I thought, hey, I'll just wire it up for jamma.  With that I'd have to make jamma adapters for everything save real arcade boards, which is fine.  I saw that there are switches like multijamma available, but they are expensive as beans.  So I thought about just manually connecting/disconnecting the jamma connector.  But with that, I'd have to make sure that the power leads weren't used on the pc and ps2 adapters I make. 

So far I like the idea of having it wired for jamma but I'm thinking that there has to be a more elegant solution out there that doesn't cost a ton of cash.  Any ideas?

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
Re: Cab wiring suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 03:22:43 pm »
Check this out. I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. Ultimarc also has the JPac
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

Spaz Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2011, 11:33:55 pm
  • Hit me with a chicken quesadilla and a Coke.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:19:57 pm »
Guy I know has everything Molex'ed.  from the CP it's then split out to three different boards.  I think he has a switch on the 12v from the power supply for each board.

infiniteomega

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2010, 12:39:08 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 05:00:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far.

I guess what I really should be asking is, what's the quickest way to switch input sources for audio, video, and controls at the same time?  A simple printer switch won't do the trick for this many connections.  I suppose there are scsi switches out there, but I'm sure they are expensive.

I suppose a jpac and a kvm switch would make things easy as far as connecting things goes, just wire cabinet for jamma, get jpac and ps2 adapters and be done with it.  Problem is, I like using my monitor at vga and standard res.  From what I've read, you have to tell the jpac which res you are using via jumpers (sorta defeats the purpose of a multisync monitor doesn't it?). 

Any other ideas?