Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Harbor Freight Tools  (Read 2243 times)

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
Harbor Freight Tools
« on: April 27, 2006, 08:18:36 am »
Just an FYI...

I was flipping through my entertainment book (that I had to buy since my sister-in-law's kid was selling it for school) and lo and behold: coupons for Harbor Freight Tools!

I couldn't believe my eyes! There are three in there: $10 off a $50 purchase, 10% off your entire purchase, and 20% off a single item.

This alone makes it worth it to buy the book! Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, since Harbor Freight is like a toy store to us...

AlexC

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2012, 05:18:05 pm
  • "Beware, I live!"
Re: Harbor Freight Tools
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 09:37:22 am »
Sign up for their emails and the emails always have those coupons in them with their latest specials.
They send them about once a week.

Luckydevil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2007, 01:38:45 pm
  • mmmm.... kilowatts.
    • Garage Junkies
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 10:01:05 am »
Just remember that what you buy there is usually only good for a few uses depending on what it is.

I have been really happy with a $20 heat gun I bought there though.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:15:29 am »
I'm happy with the router I got. A few uses is all I expect out of it anyhow...

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 10:17:24 am »
OOOOOooooooohhhhhhhh! Thanks Havok. Good find. A person can lose hours in there.
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 02:44:25 pm »
Just remember that what you buy there is usually only good for a few uses depending on what it is.

The thing to really keep in mind is that you get what you pay for, except one can do pretty well there if you know what to buy.

The bigger stuff seems to be good quality for a good price.  My air compressor, sandblast cabinet, powdercoat oven and drill press are good examples.  On the other hand, my benchtop lathe burned the power supply 20 minutes out of the box.  Really made me wish I didn't wait a year to try to set it up :p

The thing that bums me out about Harbor Freight is that they used to offer free shipping once in a while.  Made it great when ordering heavy machines, but they haven't  offered that deal since the gas prices went up.   Still, it is a great place to loiter in if you have one within driving distance.

RandyT

AlexC

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2012, 05:18:05 pm
  • "Beware, I live!"
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 03:10:46 pm »

M3talhead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2020, 07:35:12 pm
  • Dont let Donkey Kong use your toilet.......
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 03:37:19 pm »

The thing to really keep in mind is that you get what you pay for, except one can do pretty well there if you know what to buy.

The bigger stuff seems to be good quality for a good price.  My air compressor, sandblast cabinet, powdercoat oven and drill press are good examples.  On the other hand, my benchtop lathe burned the power supply 20 minutes out of the box.  Really made me wish I didn't wait a year to try to set it up :p

The thing that bums me out about Harbor Freight is that they used to offer free shipping once in a while.  Made it great when ordering heavy machines, but they haven't  offered that deal since the gas prices went up.   Still, it is a great place to loiter in if you have one within driving distance.

RandyT

What model drill press did you buy? Are you happy with it? I'm looking at purchasing a mini-mill in the next few months and was wondering about the durability and quality of the DP you bought.
Signature tags are dumb.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 10:30:35 am »
What model drill press did you buy? Are you happy with it? I'm looking at purchasing a mini-mill in the next few months and was wondering about the durability and quality of the DP you bought.

I bought this one.  But I was fortunate enough to get it for about $189.00 during a big sale they were having. 

I've used a few similar drill presses at some small companies I have worked at in the past.  This one is easily nicer than any of those.  Runs smooth, minimal runout and solidly built.  I particularly like the cast handle. 

Like I say, if you buy stuff at the upper end of the range, especially when they are running sales, you can get some really nice stuff for minimal outlay.

RandyT

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 06:37:56 pm »
I love Harbor Frieght. Mine is located just across town from my apartment. I buuy tons of nylon wire ties there cause the price is so cheap.

allroy1975

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2023, 08:51:48 pm
  • I'm a dork!
    • Matt's Mame
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 10:51:06 pm »
we have 2 in St. Louis.  I love the clamps.  they're VERY inexpensive.  usually on sale you can get like.a 32 or 36 inch clamp for like 9 bucks.  Great for those worthless wives who can't hold wood for you. 

Go ahead and let rip with the wives holding wood jokes.

Have fun
Allroy
They have the FAST Ms. Pac-Man!  MOM!  Can I have a quarter!??

Xam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2011, 11:16:45 pm
  • " Oh my heavens; good gracious. Cro-Magnons."
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 11:08:43 pm »
we have 2 in St. Louis.  I love the clamps.  they're VERY inexpensive.  usually on sale you can get like.a 32 or 36 inch clamp for like 9 bucks.  Great for those worthless wives who can't hold wood for you. 

Go ahead and let rip with the wives holding wood jokes.

Have fun
Allroy
My wife always holds my wood for me...LOL! Sorry...you set it up so well.

Xam
Can't talk to a psycho like a normal human being.

rsoandrew

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2018, 09:02:10 am
  • Worldwide travelling Mame Machine
    • Andrew's Arcade
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 01:43:34 am »
Here's a Harbor Freight tip. It worked a year or so ago but I've been out of the US for a while so I haven't ordered anything.

When you are looking through a sale flyer you will see an item number followed by a combination of number and letter. i.e. 123456-1ABC. The extension is how they know the sales price. If you try changing the number around (0-9) you can find other sales and better discounts. I was also able to use the sale code with non-sale items and get it to give me the discount. I think the deal is that they have so many different sales with different prices going on at one time, the only way they can track it is through the sale extension.

The easiest way I found to find the price is to use the web site where you order from the printed catalog. Note that you can only get 1 item/price at a time and have to delete/clear the item from your cart before you check the next combination. Otherwise, the price defaults to the first item. It also never worked with the online sales (that end in VGA).
 :)

Tailgunner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2009, 01:21:16 pm
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 01:12:57 am »
Another HF tip:

If you looking at something big, wait till they put it on sale. Then show up with the 20% off one item coupon, they'll honor that on top of the sale price.