Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WINCAB and DOSCAB - Linux Port?  (Read 2905 times)

mgillespie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2006, 03:40:15 am
WINCAB and DOSCAB - Linux Port?
« on: April 25, 2006, 05:38:42 pm »
This was exactly what I needed (almost).

I want to run a touchscreen, and an embedded OS, so it rules DOS out.  I then have XPe or Linux left on the OS choice.

XPe requires licencing :-(  and WinCAB/DOSCab are not available for Linux.

Is there a Linux port in the works? 

Does anyone know if it works with DOSEMU, or the Win port, work with WINE?

Any plans to go OpenSource?  If so, I may be able to assist with a Linux port.  From the looks of it's it's using some Linux friendly libraries like Allegro etc.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: WINCAB and DOSCAB - Linux Port?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 05:50:09 pm »
Touchscreens are supported in DOS; you need to add a couple of lines to jukebox.ini to make it work.  A Linux port is not available because releasing for Linux users expect source code to be released, which I am not interested in doing at this time.  In addition, I know nothing about Linux and would be unable to develop or support such a version.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

mgillespie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 01:51:31 pm »
I have a USB touchscreen, is that supported in DOS?  (I am assuming not, but would be pleasantly suprised if it is...)

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 02:03:14 pm »
There are experimental USB DOS drivers available, but I have not tested them with anything since I don't have a USB touchscreen (my test rig is serial).

--Chris
--Chris

scottie4442

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2009, 09:36:43 am
  • Doing the Arcade Thing under Linux
    • Scottie's Place
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 01:08:01 pm »
Hey Chris, you do not have to release your source code, just because most Linux guys do, not every program is GPL.  You just need to include a license that says what you want it to say, ie. you can use this software for non-commercial use for free, the source code is not distributable, etc. etc.    I am normally a Linux guy, I use win98 in DOS mode for DOSCab, and I would have no problem using your software under such a license.  This is one of the few problems with the Linux community a few, and I mean a few, people are just jerks about everything ought to be free all the time (I disagree not every program needs to be free, just not so over priced that the program makes his/her money back on the first sale).  I would definitly support this move if you choose to make it, if not I will continue using DOS with DOSCab.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Scott Adams

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 05:09:38 pm »
This is one of the few problems with the Linux community a few, and I mean a few, people are just jerks about everything ought to be free all the time (I disagree not every program needs to be free, just not so over priced that the program makes his/her money back on the first sale).  I would definitly support this move if you choose to make it, if not I will continue using DOS with DOSCab.
Well, there's still the problem that I know absolutely nothing about Linux.  Does one Linix program run on multiple distributions as a binary?  I thought most Linux software was distributed as source because it needed to be compiled for that distribution...

Since I never considered putting the code on Linux, there is a lot of code that may need to be rewritten.  There are several places where I need to do something platform-specific, and I check to see if the compiler is compiling for Windows and if it isn't it assumes DOS.

Perhaps someday I'll learn Linux and tackle this, but for the short term it just isn't in the cards.

--Chris
--Chris

mgillespie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 05:15:58 pm »
Generally speaking, if it's linked to GLIBC, then it will work on almost all modern Linux OSes, and witha bit of tweaking, many other *nix OSes, including MacOSX.

Some of the libraries you use for DOSCAB have native linux support, like Allegro.  But not having seen the source it's tricky to tell how much would need rewriting.

There are things that may make it easier, there is DOSEMU and WINE and WINELib, which allow DOS/Win apps to run from Linux.  the sound stuff can be routed though alsa.

I think the effort is worthwhile, as Linux can make a very nice embedded operating system, with low overheads.  It's very modular, and supports lots more hardware than DOS does...

willhunt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2006, 02:37:34 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 02:37:59 pm »
I use wine with win cab and it completely takes over all four desktops but it runs
just fine! I wish I knew how to restrict it to just one desktop and please compile
a Linux version I don't even want code just need the binary  :notworthy: