Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Info/Hacks on the 10-n-1 Atari game/control?  (Read 2393 times)

TapeWurm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2008, 12:47:20 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Info/Hacks on the 10-n-1 Atari game/control?
« on: February 28, 2003, 01:44:35 pm »
I can't really find the actual name for this unit, but it's the newer handheld shaped like an Atari 2600 control that has 10 Atari games built into the unit. It hooks up via composit/RCA inputs on your tv and all the hardware is inside. It uses an on-screen menu for game selection. I also saw an Activision version shaped kinda PSXish at Radio Shack with Pitfall and others in it. ANYWAY..... I couldn't find any info here, or there, on this unit, technical wise. Just wondering if this puppy's being hacked in some fashion yet. It would be sweet if there were a way to flash the games to change them or add to the number of games inside. Again, I don't really know what kind of hardware it has. I wonder if it is using actual Atari hardware with original game coding or if they were remade to look identical. I would imagine they are original. Anyway, any info or hack insight is appreciated.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re:Info/Hacks on the 10-n-1 Atari game/control?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 02:28:07 pm »
Made by the company JAKKS.  It's at Target and Walmart in the toys section with the little Tiger electronic stuff.

TapeWurm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 03:34:49 pm »
Without a doubt one of the coolest things to come about in a while..... retro wise, that is. Here's to old skool!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 03:37:15 pm »
Without a doubt one of the coolest things to come about in a while..... retro wise, that is. Here's to old skool!
Most review it as being very dissapointing. The games aren't accurate and the selection of games leaves something to be desired. Also many have problems with the games and with the sound.

Still pretty cool considering its size and you just need a mini tv to play in the car.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

TapeWurm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 04:15:15 pm »
Yeah, I've read of the bad reviews. Sad to hear that. But how bad could graphics and sound from those games really be? hahaha And yeah the selection does suck. Like 2 good games and 8 crappy ones. But still, if there were only a way to hack it..... so much potential in such a great control.

Zinfari

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2007, 10:43:59 am
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2003, 04:30:13 pm »
It's not the sound and the graphics that are bad... those are the same as the original, but the game have all been chopped down.  I got one because I thought (like everyone else) that it would be cool.  I really liked Adventure for the old Atari and that is the game that sold me.  The problem is that it's not the entire game, just a couple of levels.  That goes for most of the games unless they were just unbelievably small to begin with with few options like Asteroids (although that may even be missing levels/options).  Over all a dissapointment.

-Zinfari

Zeitgeist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2013, 05:57:51 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 10:05:39 pm »
My wife gave me one of these for Christmas.
I've only tried it a couple of times.
It's OK at best.
The games are not the original Atari code  - they have been modified slightly - probably to accomidate the new hardware.
I have verified this against my A2600 & cart collection.
Bottom line: it doesn't beat a real 2600 but for about $ 25 who cares.
 ;)
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.