Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Happy Birthday BYOAC Message Board!  (Read 13080 times)

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
Happy Birthday BYOAC Message Board!
« on: February 28, 2003, 12:02:26 pm »
I realized this morning that yesterday was the 1st birthday on the New Message Board.

I am truely amazed by the statistics.

5100 Topics

34530 Total Posts

1628 Members

I never thought it would grow like this. Makes you wonder where it'll be next year!
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

Brax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
Re:Happy Birthday BYOAC Message Board!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 12:08:25 pm »
I wonder how long it will take to die out?
I've noticed the demographic around here has greatly decreased in age recently. Are we almost down to the bottom of the arcade generation already? It'll be interesting to see if the hobby can last for a while yet.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

DeathMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2015, 02:01:12 pm
    • MameStation.3
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 12:11:46 pm »
There are still many, many people from the arcade generation who don't even know what MAME is, much less BYOAC..

There's still a lot of life left in this hobby..

Now with cup beer holders!

Kane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2023, 08:05:47 am
  • What?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 12:35:16 pm »
There are still many, many people from the arcade generation who don't even know what MAME is, much less BYOAC..

There's still a lot of life left in this hobby..

I agree, I just started getting into this hobby and I am part of the arcade generation (I'll be 30 in April). There are ALOT of people my age that I talk to that never heard of MAME or never thought of building thier own machine. I'm working on them :)

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 01:19:13 pm »
There's a message board??   ;D

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2003, 02:50:57 pm »
There's a message board??   ;D
CRAP! I thought this was a McDonald's order window! I was just yakin' to pass the time! No wonder my fries are taking so long!

JayTea

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2009, 03:32:25 pm
  • Whatchu talkin 'bout, Willis?
    • Licoricepizza.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 04:11:23 pm »
Well, when some of you were teenagers in 1980, I was 9...just old enough to reach the CP - All of my friends that have come over to the house to play their favorite game, are now curious as to what MAME is, and a few have enquired about how I did it... This URL is THE HUB on how to build a universal Cab!
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena

Nailz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2014, 08:55:03 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2003, 04:59:34 pm »
I convert people all the time.  Everytime we have a party or whatever, invariably someone points at my MAME cab and says "hey, what's this?".  If they are around my age (33) or younger I get the "Holy Crap!  That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!!  HOW MANY GAMES????  YOU BUILT THIS???  Will you make one for me?"

You get the idea....  :)

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2003, 06:52:30 pm »
I convert people all the time.  Everytime we have a party or whatever, invariably someone points at my MAME cab and says "hey, what's this?".  If they are around my age (33) or younger I get the "Holy Crap!  That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!!  HOW MANY GAMES????  YOU BUILT THIS???  Will you make one for me?"

You get the idea....  :)
Hahaha, you're not kidding.  :)

And wow, hard to believe that we've been on the YaBB board for a year now.  This is sooooo much nicer too.  Happy birthday!

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2003, 07:59:17 pm »
Well I'm 23 years old. I don't feel like arcade games are out of style. I think the only real way to play a game is standing up. In fact, I get mad when people say stuff like. "Oh yeah I've played Joust/Punch Out/Ninja Gaiden. I had that game for Nintendo"... *SMACK*

I have my MAME machine at our fraternity house and all the guys are always playing on it. Naturally, the thing has more games than anybody has ever played (unless they've had MAME for a while). So every week I go in there and they've discovered some awesome new game I've never played before. So the thing is very popular.

Plus it never fails - someone new always walks in and goes crazy over thing and one of the guys is like, "Yeah Alan built it from the ground up" and they're like, "You can do that?"

I talk too much but in short... this hobby isn't going away. There are too many people interested in it, and not alot of people really know oabout it yet so it has room to grow. It's not just fun - it's a rewarding challenge.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2003, 10:48:42 pm »
I wonder how long it will take to die out?
I've noticed the demographic around here has greatly decreased in age recently. Are we almost down to the bottom of the arcade generation already? It'll be interesting to see if the hobby can last for a while yet.
My grandkids will have to pry the Robotron joysticks out of my cold dead hands.  

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2003, 02:35:16 am »
Well I'm 23 years old. I don't feel like arcade games are out of style. I think the only real way to play a game is standing up. In fact, I get mad when people say stuff like. "Oh yeah I've played Joust/Punch Out/Ninja Gaiden. I had that game for Nintendo"... *SMACK*

It's funny you should mention those particular games because the nintendo version of joust was a arcade perfect port and punch out and ninja gaiden had superior console ports than on the original arcade versions. (both had better gameplay and punchout had better graphics.)   The arcade versions were great in their own right, but the console ports were totally different games that came out a few years later.  Only the basic concept and the general gameplay idea was kept.  

I just thought I would throw that in.  It's off topic, but I don't see how it's possible to say anything negative about the original nes.  Afterall it was the system that cleaned up the mess that was the "shovel-ware" era of atari's last legs.

But I digress......  

I would like to be all optimistic and say that byoac is going to last forever, but that's only a half truth.  The site will continue to live on but not in the form that it is now.  

You see the problem is as our members get younger and younger they have less and less respect for this sites original purpose.  You can argue all you want, but this site was orignally put up to aid people in interfacing arcade controls to the pc so that emulated versions of ARCADE games could be played.  

I'm also 23 and I think we are at that unique age in which we can appreciate both the console and arcade experience equally.  Others, however, aren't so lucky.  

These people that hack a layout simply to play their favorite console games on an arcade stick are misguided if they think that is the point of this site.  The point was to recreate the arcade experience, not to show off your hacking skills by making a ridiculously large controller for your dc that uses controls that were designed 20+ years ago and thus only work half as well as the original dc controller.  These are the same people that dumbly think a console version of a game and the arcade version are the same.  I don't care how true a port is, it's just not the same.    

Am I saying it's a sin to want to use arcade controls on your console?  Heck no, it's a fun little project.  

All I'm saying is more and more new members have this mentality and it's going somewhat against the purpose of byoac... which always was to preserve the physical and software experience of being in a real arcade.

What it's doing is getting innocent little cabs converted into dreamcast/ps2/yo momma playing eye-sores.  

I don't like to be this negative, but this is really the future of the site as I see it.   I only say this so blunty and publically in hopes that some of these younger noobs will read it and learn to appreciate both the cab they are about the mame (read don't butcher the poor thing) and the classic ARCADE games they will be able to play on it.  

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2003, 03:23:31 am »
unbelievable we used that xxxx old one for sooo longggggg  :o

I also think there is a generation shift going on but that is not bad in itself. There are still some great developments going on with erali 80's style and themed cabs for us oldies...just look at 1up's wonderful cab.

I have finished may cab a long time ago and even if i did not change anything to it since it is still fun to watch how others develop this hobby in all sorts of ways...

peter

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2003, 06:04:38 am »
unbelievable we used that xxxx old one for sooo longggggg  :o

I also think there is a generation shift going on but that is not bad in itself. There are still some great developments going on with erali 80's style and themed cabs for us oldies...just look at 1up's wonderful cab.

I have finished may cab a long time ago and even if i did not change anything to it since it is still fun to watch how others develop this hobby in all sorts of ways...

peter

Thanks for the mention )p(!  I made my cab the way I did for 2 reasons:  I personally couldn't justify tearing up some classic cab to play Mame on; and since I have a great appreciation for the classics, I wanted to have a cab that could play as many classics faithfully as possible, and still look classic in itself.

At the age of 32, I'm straight from the middle of the arcade generation, and I can remember vividly playing all the games that made Atari famous, in their original upright form, when they were brand new!  Howard's right, consoles just aren't the same.  There's a close-up intimacy that comes from playing an upright -- the feel of the controls, the clinking of the coins, the clear sound of overhead speakers, and the memories of youth...   And it pains me to see an old Midway cab painted black with some crap fighter stuffed inside, or worse, a Playstation or Dreamcast!

I got into this hobby entirely because of this website.  Let's hope it will be around for years to come!

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

jets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2005, 06:40:39 pm
  • all your base are belong to us
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2003, 07:57:29 am »
Happy Happy BYOAC!

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2003, 05:28:42 pm »
HAPPPPPPY BIRTHDAY ! ! !.

MAN !...the site rocks..i would never in my life thought that BUILDING your own arcade controls would be possible.. ::).

I did what..around 15 of them..LOL !..

just wanted to thank saint for the excellent site...
BTW,I didnt even know what a jigsaw or a drill was when i actually found this site.. :( :-\

crashdmj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2003, 08:55:42 pm
  • Hulk smash!
    • Best webpage in the Universe!!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2003, 05:43:17 pm »
Happy B-day BYOAC!!

I am very new to this scene (cab-building) but not to emulation (about 2years, still young though). I am sorry  Howard_Casto that you feel that way about us younger generations of gamers, I do understand what you are saying. I have yet to build a cabinet (soon baby..soon) but I will, in no way, butcher a perfectly good cab. I myself am scrambling to get a non-worky ---smurfy--- cab so that I may renovate it and make my mame cab. I know how you feel about people wanting to put every console and their mother in the cab. I myself am guilty of that, however I do understand what everyone was done to make this awesome site and I hope it stays the way it is. I am only 20 but I do understand your point of view.

Anywho....Happy B-day BYOAC!!!

Nailz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2003, 05:48:26 pm »

At the age of 32, I'm straight from the middle of the arcade generation, and I can remember vividly playing all the games that made Atari famous, in their original upright form, when they were brand new!  Howard's right, consoles just aren't the same.  There's a close-up intimacy that comes from playing an upright -- the feel of the controls, the clinking of the coins, the clear sound of overhead speakers, and the memories of youth...   And it pains me to see an old Midway cab painted black with some crap fighter stuffed inside, or worse, a Playstation or Dreamcast!

Amen!  I have an original PacMan sitting in my garage, my wife wants to know why I have it when I have another machine the same exact size that plays 3000+ games on it.  Truth be told, if I had the room, I would own every game I used to love playing, but I don't, so that's where MAME and BYOAC come into play, and they play very well.

The thing about my Pac is...  I remember being 11 years old and bumming quarters from my Mom, Dad, whoever, to play at the Ben Franklin in town, the Arcade I had to ride my bike to, wherever I needed to go to get my fix.  :)  In essence it's a time machine and every time I jump on it I think about nothing else but those damn ghosts trying to chase me down.  I can't imagine ever getting rid of it to make room for anything else.....

That being said, my MAME cab runs a close second to bring back everything else I can't have full size.  :)  I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2003, 06:51:00 pm »
oh oh...I remember when i was like only 8 and trying to play cadillcs and dinosaurs...MAN !..was the game fun...it was like a dream..i couldnt even reach the panel but i realized that the game rocked..all the color and beating up...AWW..just good memories..and this site has been VERY helpful.anything i know about building arcades is from here..i was only 15 at the time i found the site and had no money or clue how to built a panel(all i knew that you can cut wood with handsaw..LOL !).

I am 18 now btw.. ;D

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2003, 07:26:23 pm »
You see the problem is as our members get younger and younger they have less and less respect for this sites original purpose.  You can argue all you want, but this site was orignally put up to aid people in interfacing arcade controls to the pc so that emulated versions of ARCADE games could be played.  

I'm also 23 and I think we are at that unique age in which we can appreciate both the console and arcade experience equally.  Others, however, aren't so lucky.  

These people that hack a layout simply to play their favorite console games on an arcade stick are misguided if they think that is the point of this site.  The point was to recreate the arcade experience, not to show off your hacking skills by making a ridiculously large controller for your dc that uses controls that were designed 20+ years ago and thus only work half as well as the original dc controller.  These are the same people that dumbly think a console version of a game and the arcade version are the same.  I don't care how true a port is, it's just not the same.    

Howard, I understand you are only trying to pay respect to BYOAC and how this site originally started.  But your opinions on consoles are just that, personal opinon, and not fact.  So don't go around chastizing half of BYOAC just because it doesn't match up to your expectations to what is authentic or not.   I'm 34, been here longer than you, been in the hobby longer than BYOAC existed, own 4 REAL classic cabinets, and 2 mame/console cabinets.  And its my opinion that consoles add greatly to keeping the BYOAC spirit alive today.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2003, 07:46:06 pm »

Howard, I understand you are only trying to pay respect to BYOAC and how this site originally started.  But your opinions on consoles are just that, personal opinon, and not fact.  So don't go around chastizing half of BYOAC just because it doesn't match up to your expectations to what is authentic or not.   I'm 34, been here longer than you, been in the hobby longer than BYOAC existed, own 4 REAL classic cabinets, and 2 mame/console cabinets.  And its my opinion that consoles add greatly to keeping the BYOAC spirit alive today.

200% agree..console games are great...atleast try several of them then quote things like..."ahh..dreamcast sucks".
I mean..games like metal gear solid 2 on ps2 proves that newers games are REALLY cool.

like eightybit went the other day..

"dreamcast sucks"

while the guy doesnt even know how the connecters of the dreamcast controls look like...i mean..thats just retarted..
HOW DO YOU say(or your opinion) dreamcast suck when you dont even know how the connecter looks like :P.I am assuming he is some "ANTICONSOLE DUDE".LOL..plain funny..Howard doesnt like consoles either..WHY?..maybe because you actually gotta pay for the newer games..LOL..you buy it... ;D

However,no offence to anyone..not trying to start anything but arcadecontrols.com HAS been helpful for consoles too..i actually didnt know about mame for about 7...8 month even after I already built a joystick for psx/dreamcast and I enjoyed my joystick on dreamcast like hell...the goldnen days everyone...!  :)  ;D  :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2003, 07:49:07 pm by SNAAAKE »

Nailz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2003, 08:55:26 pm »
I don't think Howard was chastizing anyone in particular here...

We all like what we like, I'm 33, and I love the old stuff, but I on occasion will spar with my 12 year old on the Xbox.  I also have friends 10 years older than I that wouldn't touch anything but a pinball machine...  :)

So maybe we all need to take a step back before telling everyone how we have been here, how many games we own and how long our johnsons are.. mine is 12" BTW  :)  LOL j/k

Someone said this site is Build your own ARCADE controls, so if you build an arcade control and plug it into a console, it's still an arcade control right?  Right?

Who really cares?  It's supposed to be fun, whether you are some punk 18 year old  who likes the consoles :) or 33 and needing a Galaga fix, it's all good.

Peace!

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2003, 10:21:58 pm »
200% agree..console games are great...atleast try several of them then quote things like..."ahh..dreamcast sucks".
I mean..games like metal gear solid 2 on ps2 proves that newers games are REALLY cool.

like eightybit went the other day..

"dreamcast sucks"

while the guy doesnt even know how the connecters of the dreamcast controls look like...i mean..thats just retarted..
HOW DO YOU say(or your opinion) dreamcast suck when you dont even know how the connecter looks like :P.I am assuming he is some "ANTICONSOLE DUDE".LOL..plain funny..Howard doesnt like consoles either..WHY?..maybe because you actually gotta pay for the newer games..LOL..you buy it... ;D

However,no offence to anyone..not trying to start anything but arcadecontrols.com HAS been helpful for consoles too..i actually didnt know about mame for about 7...8 month even after I already built a joystick for psx/dreamcast and I enjoyed my joystick on dreamcast like hell...the goldnen days everyone...!  :)  ;D  :)

Leave it to snaaake to prove HC's point for him. I disagree with some of what HC said above - but the irony was killing me... (I actually am optimistic that this bored won't degrade like some other emu-related boards have... )  

I dunno I wonder about you sometimes snaaake.

*Shrug*

rampy

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2003, 02:02:44 am »

LOL..plain funny..Howard doesnt like consoles either..WHY?..maybe because you actually gotta pay for the newer games..LOL..you buy it... ;D

hehe Howard does not like consoles you say...lol...mmm let me see he has about every console you can think about...talks about them passionately...is playing metroid prime at the moment...uh no he does not like consoles and to  pay for games  :P

;)

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2003, 02:13:41 am »

LOL..plain funny..Howard doesnt like consoles either..WHY?..maybe because you actually gotta pay for the newer games..LOL..you buy it... ;D

hehe Howard does not like consoles you say...lol...mmm let me see he has about every console you can think about...talks about them passionately...is playing metroid prime at the moment...uh no he does not like consoles and to  pay for games  :P

;)
I didnt know..i was trying to guess..sorry :P

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2003, 03:49:09 am »
Console games were made to sit on your couch with a gamepad in hand. Many of them never even saw arcade machine gameplay at all so I can't really see the authenticity of playing a console born game on an arcade cabinet. (unless its something like Dragons Liar or Golden Tee ect...) I have tons of consoles and games in my closet from the 2600 up to playstation but I no longer have the desire to throw any of them into my mame cabinet. In my opinion playing dreamcast games on a tv while sitting in my favorite chair feels plenty authentic to me since thats the way they were meant to be played. Arcade games on the other hand must be played on a real or model of a real arcade cabinet with a real functional coin door. Half the fun and excitement was seeing how far you could get on a quarter on a game that was specifically designed to beat you and take your money.
Most console games just drone on and on with stratagy books,cheat codes and pausing capabilities giving you too much time to collect your senses and react with stratagy rather then reflex. And ultimately you know that you will eventually beat the game because that is what it was designed to let you do. Arcade games are nearly impossible to beat but you just can't resist trying to do so and that my friends is the difference between arcade and console games. Throw a console in a cabinet if you must but I already tried it and I quickly realized that I liked console games on a big ole tv in a big ole chair in my den and not in my Mame cabinet. :)
S.M.
"Sinistar has bad breath"

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2003, 04:36:33 am »
Happy B-Day message board!

Howard, you are only 23?? I always pictured you as being at least 35 for some reason :)  Can't believe I'm actually older than you.

Anyways, I understand what Howard was saying and some part of me definately agrees with him,  but I don't want to discourage people from trying new things (even though I sound like I do with my XBox sucks opinions).

Anyways, I don't think that this message board will die for a long long time.  There are SO many people out there that have never heard of Mame but who used to play arcade games endlessly.  Just this last week I met a guy who owns a bunch of original rare working cabinets (including both a single player and two player Computer Space cabinets...two of only like 25 in existence or something) and I was telling him how I made a Mame cabinet.  He had heard of Mame and then I saw he had an original Thayers Quest and I started talking about Daphne and he had never heard of it.  

Anyways, I'm definately going to be around on this board for a while.  I could never imagine actually getting sick of Mame.  

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2003, 04:50:34 am »
Oh yeh most importantly Happy birthday to BYOAC.... Happy birthday to youuuuu !!
P.S.  I'm 33 going on 13  ;D My birthday is April 15th (tax deadline day)  ::)
"Sinistar has bad breath"

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2003, 01:00:06 pm »
Happy birthday and thank you so much that this board exists!  :D  :D  :D

This is one of the most friendly boards I ever met - and I really have to thank for all informations, help, discussions & inspiration I got here, and to all the people here, especially 1up, SirPoonga, )p(, Larry Smith, Jakobud, Oscar, Andy, Howie (so young and such a critic! :o ) and a lot a more!

I'm 32 and therefore a child of the golden age - and since them I always felt that the real thing would be much cooler then my AtariXL-conversion!

My first emulator was an Atari800 - after turning my PC into an Atari-80s-computer for over a month I discovered later MAME. Pretty cool - but still not the real thing! Three to five years later, I don't know why, I had the idea to build a cab myself - and luckily found this site one year ago.

Now my cab is mostly done (in fact, it will never be done) and, to come back to the point, I was able to build a classic style Centipede-look-a-like which I could have never built without your help.

This is Germany, and arcade is dead here. I've actually no chance to go to an arcade and find a good ol' classic game here - most time only boring photoplay games, and simulators which I personally absolutely don't like. Even pinballs are getting rare here. As a child I didn't had enough money to feed the machines as I'd have liked, later they took them out of the shoppingmalls and to the arcade only - were you had to be at least 18 to come in. Somehow our gouverment must have thought that they are evil!  >:(

All I had to build my cab is long ago memories, some pictures from books and the web - and most important - YOU!
And what's the cool thing - it turns out more perfect every day I work on it!

Cheers, may these board live long and thanks for reading! ;)

Carsten
« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 04:53:13 pm by Carsten Carlos »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2003, 02:08:42 pm »
Just to respond.  Yeah peter and spidermonkey hit the nail right on the head.  I LOVE consoles and I LOVE to hack and play around on them.  I also love arcade machines and mame machines.  I just have enough common sense to keep the three seperate.  

Original arcade machines should be preserved if at all possible and if they are mamed, they should be mamed respectfully (ie don't butcher the cp or paint over sideart ect...)  

Mame cabinets should be used to play arcade games in.

Consoles should be used to play consoel games on.  

I'm not against hacking controllers to work on consoles in any way.  As I said it can be a fun little project.  It's pointless (most of the time at least) as the games were supposed to be played on the controller but whatever floats your boat.  I think these are valid hacking projects, but they have absolutely nothing to do with byoac's orignal purpose.  

Some of you are probably thinking that the sites purpose should evolve and that's very true, but if it evolves too much then it alienates the veteran members.  Let me use this anology.  Pretend that this was a car enthusists board.  What if everything was going along fine and then a great trend of motorcycle customizing came to be.   Naturally a bunch of motorcylists find the site and start posting there.  Eventually there are more motorcycle posts than car posts on the board.  Bikes are similar to cars, but lets face facts.... they are different.  While some of the older veterans are going to be interested in the bikes too most of them are going to be quite upset.  So in essence the original site is dead as the main purpose has completely changed.  

Now do you guys get me point? I think perhaps a new completely seperate site should be made for console hackers as it's really a completely different hobby.  You just use the excuse that you also like to use arcade controls on some of the hacks too.    

Here's the thing with console hackers:
What I have a problem with is people hacking cabs and ruining them to put a dc/xbox/whatever in and their excuse was something like "Oh the sideart was a little faded on the left so I ripped it off"  or "Well the pcb was dead so I figured it was ok to hack."   There are only so many classic cabs left (and classic does not necessarily mean 20 years old... to me street fighter 2 is also a classic.)  and we have to give them the respect they deserve.  

The younger generation simply doesn't understand that the arcade experience has nothing to do with the console experience, and that the cabinet itself is as much a part of the game as the software.  The same can be said for the consoles... Their original controller, and being able to veg out in front of the tv while your playing them, is a part of re-creating their experience.  Why do you think these console to usb controller adaptors are so popular?

Now you guys can hide under the vail of "that's just your opinon" but what I said is very much based on fact.  If the trend continues byoac as we know it will die and turn into something completely different.  

mrhowell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 12:45:21 pm
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2003, 02:17:20 pm »
Happy birthday.  You killing independent George.
What is that pappy?

Nailz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2003, 02:22:19 pm »
Original arcade machines should be preserved if at all possible and if they are mamed, they should be mamed respectfully (ie don't butcher the cp or paint over sideart ect...)  

Mame cabinets should be used to play arcade games in.

Consoles should be used to play consoel games on.  

Now do you guys get me point? I think perhaps a new completely seperate site should be made for console hackers as it's really a completely different hobby.  You just use the excuse that you also like to use arcade controls on some of the hacks too.    

Howard, to your first point....  AMEN!  nothing worse than seeing someone take a perfectly good Arcade game and MAMEing it, it makes me want to cry.  If you can alter the cab, and yet still be able to put it back into it's original condition, then so be it I guess, but why not just make your own?  Case in point, a guy posted here a while back all proud of the work he did to get his HotRod stuffed onto a beautiful Star Wars cab, then wondered why people here ripped him a new one for it.  For all you folks out there about to argue, it was his, he can do whatever he wants with it, you are correct, but for God's sakes show a little respect for the cabs, some of them are art IMHO.

You last point that I see Howard about separating the Arcade and Console, is a really great idea as well.  They really are their own animals and both should get the full attention they deserve instead of being mixed throughout.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2003, 05:46:48 pm »
Yeah, I used to be big on the idea of putting a bunch of console emus in my cab, even had an argument with Howard on the old board about the merits of doing so.  Now, after building my cab, I'd rather make a separate machine using a small form factor PC as a set-top console emulator box, or better yet, get a decent collection of original conoles off ebay.  (Can't believe my folks kept our old Atari 2600 for 20+ years, then gave it to Goodwill 3 years ago!!  :'( )

I do think that making some tabletop/laptop controls for consoles is a GREAT idea.  My thumbs used to get sore from too much NES, so I got the arcade-style joystick they made back then (with steel bottom plate for weight, balltop stick and adjustable turbo switches built in etc  ;D ) and it rocked!  I tore thru Super Mario and Contra with that sucker!  Nothing wrong with having a comfortable set of controls, as long as it works with the games you want to play.  ;)

My other job...

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2003, 06:10:07 pm »
Here's the thing with console hackers:
What I have a problem with is people hacking cabs and ruining them to put a dc/xbox/whatever in and their excuse was something like "Oh the sideart was a little faded on the left so I ripped it off"  or "Well the pcb was dead so I figured it was ok to hack."   There are only so many classic cabs left (and classic does not necessarily mean 20 years old... to me street fighter 2 is also a classic.)  and we have to give them the respect they deserve.  
Now you guys can hide under the vail of "that's just your opinon" but what I said is very much based on fact.  If the trend continues byoac as we know it will die and turn into something completely different.  
Howard, you can easily say the same things about people who Mame-ify perfectly good cabinets...and it happens all the time.  And you are fine with that?  I'm at a loss for words.

My position on consoles is this: they make a $cheaper$ and *easier* alternative to a PC in a cabinet, can play the most popular classic roms, as well as ports of the latest games in arcades TODAY (e.g. Naomi games).  For this reason, consoles bring an alternative to the PC/Mame combo.  I don't see how this is diverging from the original spirit of this site.  I'm not advocating playing every console game under the sun inside a cabinet...just console arcade ports and console emulation packages (like the various Namco, Atari, and Midway classic packs).  I won't get into the whole xbox mame thing...as you are approaching to price of a cheap PC at that point.

Hope this clears things up.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2003, 06:18:43 pm »
So maybe we all need to take a step back before telling everyone how we have been here, how many games we own and how long our johnsons are.. mine is 12" BTW  :)  LOL j/k
Sorry about that.  Howard is always going off about how he has been here the longest, and knows the roots of this site and hobby the best.  Someone had to put things into perspective and let him know their are far more expierenced people here with valid opinions too.
Someone said this site is Build your own ARCADE controls, so if you build an arcade control and plug it into a console, it's still an arcade control right?  Right?

Who really cares?  It's supposed to be fun, whether you are some punk 18 year old  who likes the consoles :) or 33 and needing a Galaga fix, it's all good.

Peace!
Right on my brother!  

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2003, 06:25:36 pm »
Howard, you can easily say the same things about people who Mame-ify perfectly good cabinets...and it happens all the time.  And you are fine with that?  I'm at a loss for words.

I think Howard stated that he was against Mameing an original cab if at all possible, unless you can preserve it in its original state.  I can't disagree, as long as the cab was empty to begin with.

My other job...

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2003, 06:33:11 pm »
Happy Happy b-day BYOAC!  I just recently turned 29 and I just hope I can give back to the beginners as much as I got when I first started asking questions - wow people were(and still are!) very very helpful!  And there is a really noticeable lack of hostility, racism, bigotry, etc compared to some other boards out there - so kudos to the mods.  

And even tho I dig the arcade side more than the consoles- I must say that the info on this site will come in handy if I ever get off my --I'm attempting to get by the auto-censor and should be beaten after I re-read the rules-- and build a larger vectrex controller  ;D

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2003, 06:35:54 pm »
[I think Howard stated that he was against Mameing an original cab if at all possible, unless you can preserve it in its original state.  I can't disagree, as long as the cab was empty to begin with.
Yeah, I thought that too, but in his post that I quoted, he was specifically talking about reasons why he hates "console hackers"...so he hates mame hackers too?  Kind of makes it a moot point.
*shrug*

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2003, 07:16:23 pm »
i didnt say like you HAVE to play consoles in your cabinet..its that...dreamcast has soooooo many arcade perfect games which are VERY playable with arcade joystick and they are just ported straight from sega naomi.even the specs are same as dreamcast except actual naomi has more ram.

Dont see any point using x-box or other systems besides dreamcast.ps2 has some fighting games so interface your joystick to ps2 pads and voila you have the choice of playing some arcadish game..no idea about maming a classic machine..if its in good shape then keep it like that.other then that..whatever,just a piece of wood.

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2003, 09:35:51 pm »
..whatever,just a piece of wood.

And you're just meat... anyone feel like a steak?

For certain people it's just more personal and therefore important but it seems that unless it affects people directly they can't understand or don't care to.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2003, 10:56:50 pm »
[I think Howard stated that he was against Mameing an original cab if at all possible, unless you can preserve it in its original state.  I can't disagree, as long as the cab was empty to begin with.
Yeah, I thought that too, but in his post that I quoted, he was specifically talking about reasons why he hates "console hackers"...so he hates mame hackers too?  Kind of makes it a moot point.
*shrug*

No I hate both... the examples can apply to either one, but I thought I had made my feelings about maming classic cabs prefectly clear by my posts in the past.  Apparently not.  

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2003, 11:55:18 pm »
*shrug*

Dave read the paragraph UNDER that one.  About where it's stupid to hack a console to run on arcae controls or in a cab (in most cases at least) just as it would be stupid to run arcade games on a console (again in most cases).  It ruins the original experience, and you can't deny that the purpos of this site has alwyas been try try to relive a "classic" gaming experience.

The paragraph above that applies to both mamers and console hackers but it mostly applies to console ackers as they seem to show the least respect for a cab. (Statistically speaking at least).  

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2003, 04:50:42 am »
There's a point to be made, though, that for some more recent games, console ports are the only available way to get certain games into a home cab (until they are emulated, or unless you can afford $3000 for the original machines).

I see the point that it's stupid to put an Atari 2600 into a cab, especially running E.T. or somethign that was never an arcade game to begin with.  But what about a console running (insert name of modern 3D fighter here).  Apart from the fact that you have to insert a coin in the original, what is the difference in most console ports today?  Lots of people that have coin mechs on their cabs don't use them anyway (P1 start+P1B1 anyone?) and lots of cabs don't even have coin doors period.

There are lots of compromises in the emulation world.  For starters, you're not running ANY of them on the original hardware, usually not using the original controls either.  I'm running things like Baby Pac-Man and Terminator 2 pinball with Visual Pinball on my cab, which is about as far away from the original pinball experience as you can get!  Some people might not put as much importance on the whole "insert coin" aspect as others.  To me, it's part of the charm of the original games.

Just wanted to make that point...

My other job...

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2003, 11:11:41 am »
Anything thats fun belongs in a cabinet.  DVD players, PC games (driving games especially), console games (if you can get a control panel to work with it), ect.

Its all about the games and having fun.  

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2003, 12:07:09 pm »
Anything thats fun belongs in a cabinet.
I don't expect my girlfriend being satisfied if I put her in a cab!  :o

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2003, 12:09:17 pm »

Bring out the gimp...  =P

rampy

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2003, 05:30:37 pm »
You didn't build a big enough joystick on your cab..

sorry...

that was bad...

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2003, 05:35:39 pm »
There's a point to be made, though, that for some more recent games, console ports are the only available way to get certain games into a home cab (until they are emulated, or unless you can afford $3000 for the original machines).

I see the point that it's stupid to put an Atari 2600 into a cab, especially running E.T. or somethign that was never an arcade game to begin with.  But what about a console running (insert name of modern 3D fighter here).  Apart from the fact that you have to insert a coin in the original, what is the difference in most console ports today?  Lots of people that have coin mechs on their cabs don't use them anyway (P1 start+P1B1 anyone?) and lots of cabs don't even have coin doors period.

There are lots of compromises in the emulation world.  For starters, you're not running ANY of them on the original hardware, usually not using the original controls either.  I'm running things like Baby Pac-Man and Terminator 2 pinball with Visual Pinball on my cab, which is about as far away from the original pinball experience as you can get!  Some people might not put as much importance on the whole "insert coin" aspect as others.  To me, it's part of the charm of the original games.

Just wanted to make that point...

My neighbors had a 2600, nes, snes, and genesis in a cabinet, great fun.

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2003, 06:06:20 pm »

Bring out the gimp...  =P

rampy

Your cabinet would HAVE to have a red balltop joystick!
*giggles*

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2003, 02:21:00 am »
Your cabinet would HAVE to have a red balltop joystick!

I sure have! ;D