Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LiquidMame - Out of the shop and into the house  (Read 23381 times)

fiscap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2023, 08:10:16 pm
  • I dare ye enter... the dungeons of daggorath!!!
    • BYOAC blog
LiquidMame - Out of the shop and into the house
« on: April 15, 2006, 06:49:47 pm »
After almost two years of planning, research and designing - but mostly procrastination, I've finally started work on building my first MAME cabinet. This is a work log of my progress on the cabinet and this first post in the topic will be modified on a regular basis to show my latest update. Please read through the remaider of the topic for additional details on my progress.

I've put a lot of thought into building the ultimate gaming cabinet and have always been impressed by the work of members in this forum. Along with my own ideas, I've incorporated some of my favorite design aspects from many of the skilled members here. The list of those to thank is long, but some of the more obvious include - Tivogre, 1UP, Frostillicus, Knievel, and Pixelhugger.

My goal is to build a cabinet with a three-sided rotating control panel. Two of the sides will have stationary controls, while the third side will be used for modularity - allowing me to easily connect and remove a four-player control panel, Star Wars flight yoke, Super Hang-On handlebar, steering wheel and shifter as well as any future specialized controls.

I live on the second floor of a multi-family house, so another design consideration was mobility. My cabinet uses casters, but I also have the ability to break the cabinet down into modular sub-components (sides, top frame, bottom frame, controls, etc.). With this design, I'm able to tear-down, move and reassemble the cabinet on my own - with a little help on the 27" Wells-Gardner monitor ;)

I got quite a bit accomplished over the weekend - the biggest task having moved the cabinet inside since it's getting cold up here in New England.

It's not functional yet, but I did manage to get the monitor and marquee fired-up. The four-player control panel still needs to be wired and is just resting on the cabinet (with support from a chair). It's really starting to come together now and I'm getting excited to play the first game...

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 03:42:05 pm by fiscap »

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
Re: I'm finally cutting!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 06:54:30 pm »
I made my first cuts this afternoon. I have a cabinet all planned, but I decided to start with the control panel first. I figured the control panel will be small enough of a project to get used to my new tools, plus I'll be able to use it with my big screen TV and HTPC while I?m working on my cabinet :)

The layout and design is almost identical to the SlikStik Quad control panel, but I like it. The Mame graphic is just a placeholder until I design some real graphics for the final product.

While I was in the middle of doing layouts on the new CP blank, I hear plop, plop - rain?? Wait a second - rain isn't black!!! I was working on my project under a few tree branches - f'in birds! Needless to say, he didn't stick around long after a piece of scrap MDF fired across his brow - sorry any ASPCA affiliates.

Here are a few pictures of my progress this afternoon.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 03:57:54 pm by fiscap »

nullb0y

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 04:37:32 pm
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 11:15:46 pm »
 :laugh2: that bird pooped on ur cp  you should name it acordingly
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 09:49:23 am »
Yeah i want to have an almost identical layout to the SlikStik quad CP aswell, just with a few minor adjustments, namely not so many buttons for player 3 and 4, as i cant think of any 4 player games that use more than 4 buttons per player. Where did u get the dimesions from for the Slikstik quad???

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 10:25:20 am »
Actually, I based the dimesions on the size of my cabinet design. The top is 48"x20" which is damn near exact to the SlikStik dimensions I found later.

http://www.slikstik.com/quadfeatures.htm
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 10:44:42 am by fiscap »

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 10:30:14 am »
Yeah i want to have an almost identical layout to the SlikStik quad CP aswell, just with a few minor adjustments, namely not so many buttons for player 3 and 4, as i cant think of any 4 player games that use more than 4 buttons per player. Where did u get the dimesions from for the Slikstik quad???

I was contemplating the use of only 4 buttons for player 3 & 4 as well. Many of the posts that I've read on the forum also state that 4 buttons are all you need for 3 & 4 as you indicated. I guess I opted for the 6 buttons to keep the layout consistent and for looks.

Anyone know of any games that require more than 4 buttons on player 3 & 4?

nullb0y

• Offline Offline
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 11:33:47 am »
on mine ive only cut 4 for p 3 ad 4 but if i ever do it sop it works on consoles too i might need more....
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 02:49:04 pm »
Well, heres my layout, im almost 90% certain on it apart from the picture, maybe add another joystick somewhere, I used the prog CP sketcher. Very much the same layout as yours fiscap!

escher

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2021, 12:18:21 am
  • Out of the game for way too long
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 04:41:58 pm »
Well, heres my layout, im almost 90% certain on it apart from the picture, maybe add another joystick somewhere, I used the prog CP sketcher. Very much the same layout as yours fiscap!

Be careful with the spinner in that location.  It's asking for a broken finger if you're playing Golden Tee.

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 05:02:09 pm »
Ah ok good call, any suggestions, also cant figure out if the P1 & P2 buttons are spaced too far apart, and maybe bought closer together

escher

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2021, 12:18:21 am
  • Out of the game for way too long
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 06:23:53 pm »
Ah ok good call, any suggestions, also cant figure out if the P1 & P2 buttons are spaced too far apart, and maybe bought closer together

I would.  Most CP's have them spaced like your 3p/4p buttons.  There's a Capcom example layout that Saint has hosted off the main site, but I forget exactly where.

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 08:48:01 pm »
Wells-Gardner monitor boxes make excellent test platforms for control panels.  ;)

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 11:42:15 pm »
Here are some more photos of my mockup -

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 05:43:09 am »
Looking good, what program is that your using, CAD??? Also how are you going to incorrirate the starwars yoke, into the CP??

nullb0y

• Offline Offline
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 01:09:34 pm »
I AM NOT the only one who uses cardboard mockups! lmao

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 12:42:59 pm »
Looking good, what program is that your using, CAD??? Also how are you going to in corrirate the starwars yoke, into the CP??

Thanks Lettuce.  I'm using SolidWorks to do all of the design work.

My cabinet is going to have a three-sided rotating control panel - inspired by 1UP and Frostillicus. One of the faces of the control panel will have a modular slot to allow the use of my Star Wars and Hang-On controllers as well as a steering wheel and my 4-player control panel.

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 12:44:54 pm »

Yeah nullb0y - the cardboard really helps in getting the look and feel of the cabinet. I knew my cabinet was going to be on the bigger side because of the rotating control panel, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't too big.

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 01:27:46 pm »
My only concern is that the steering controls will feel low compared to the additional height of the 4-P CP controls.  I'm sure your mockups will let you know if they feel okay.

Also, PLEEEEEEEEASE tell me you are going to use a bigger monitor than what is in the mockup...

nullb0y

• Offline Offline
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 10:23:05 pm »

Yeah nullb0y - the cardboard really helps in getting the look and feel of the cabinet. I knew my cabinet was going to be on the bigger side because of the rotating control panel, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't too big.
i know my show case is going to be on the larger side..... THATS WHY IM BUILDING IT BIGGER ;)

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 10:40:14 pm »
My only concern is that the steering controls will feel low compared to the additional height of the 4-P CP controls.  I'm sure your mockups will let you know if they feel okay.

The rotating control panel height is between 35" and 39" - this height felt most comfortable for me. If anything the 4-player control panel is going to be on the high side, but the rotating panel will be the primary control system.

Also, PLEEEEEEEEASE tell me you are going to use a bigger monitor than what is in the mockup...

Yes - I have a Wells-Gardner D9200 for the cabinet. :)

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 11:50:16 pm »
I've decided to hold up on the construction of the control panel until the CPO is finished - I want to make sure it all lines up before I start cutting holes. I have a friend who is really good with graphics doing the artwork.

In the meantime, I've decided to start working on the bottom cabinet framing.

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 12:00:39 am »
I'm using a lot of dado cuts and lap joints in my assembly, and didn't want to have to keep switching between the stacked dado and circular saw blade in my table saw. I probably could have used my circular saw for chopping the 2x4's but I decided to pick up a new toy last weekend instead to make quick work of the job.

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 12:06:32 am »
Here is the bottom section of the frame that will support the entire weight of the cabinet. It's glued, clamped and screwed together - letting it dry overnight.

AMDman13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2023, 09:21:58 pm
  • This Cab is going to be the end of me!!
Re: I'm finally cutting! (currently working on cabinet frame)
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2006, 02:21:45 am »
Great work! Keep us posted.. I can't wait to see your next step..!
My old user name was marlborroman13, but I kicked the habit many years ago!

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
Re: I'm finally cutting! (bottom frame complete)
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 06:11:27 pm »
I finally finished the bottom frame of the cabinet the other night. Thanks go out to tivogre for his design inspiration.

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
I'm still waiting on graphics help for the control panel, so the next piece I've decided to work on is the upper cabinet frame. This part of the frame will house the Wells-Gardner D9200 monitor.

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2006, 06:46:03 pm »
It is looking good. Keep the pics coming.

Living the delusional lifestyle.

goosok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2007, 05:16:55 pm
    • Fun!Machine Gifts Store
Looks Nice! Good luck with your project!

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 04:37:40 pm »
It is looking good. Keep the pics coming.

Looks Nice! Good luck with your project!

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys - I appreciate it.

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
It's slowly coming together and starting to resemble something. The guy that lives downstairs from me has become intrigued. He stopped by the other day and asked what I was building. He's the first person that I've told who wasn't shocked or puzzled, although he was curious about the extremely rugged frame. Apparently, he works in a bar or somewhere that they have a few games and they’re serviced a bit. He said that he has never seen an arcade game with a 2x4 frame, or one so large. When I showed him the plans and explained that it was going to have a rotating control panel, plus it will be able to play pretty much any game he could think of – he was awe struck. Hopefully it will turn out somewhat as planned. ;)

He also recommended a place called Happ Controls for any parts that I may need. I just started laughing and explained that I’ve probably got about $1k invested in parts from Happ’s alone – but of course Ponyboy has saved me a ton in that area. :)

I’ve got the lower portion of the upper frame complete. I need to work on the upper portion now - holds the top together plus the marquee.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 10:40:53 pm by fiscap »

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
It's been a couple of weeks since I've updated, but I've been trying to work on the cabinet whenever I have a free moment. With the summer months approaching, those free moments are going to be fewer and fewer. :(

I've basically finished the frame at this point. The upper portion of the top frame was a little more difficult than I had originally anticipated - there were a few odd cuts that made it challenging.

Here is the SolidWorks design:

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
Here are some more shots from my progress this afternoon:

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
Re: I'm finally cutting! (frame complete - bottom base in progress)
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 01:33:10 am »
I love your cad drawings.  What is the learning curve like for SolidWorks?  Do you have anything to compare it to (such as Autocad?)

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2006, 01:13:17 pm
    • PsychoPanda's Secret Grotto
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2006, 11:09:59 am »
Looking good, can't wait to see the rotating mechanism. :)

On another note, I'm glad I didn't use a cardboard mock-up...I would have stopped there!   :D

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 03:20:20 pm »
I love your cad drawings.  What is the learning curve like for SolidWorks?  Do you have anything to compare it to (such as Autocad?)

In my opinion, SolidWorks is by far the best 3D modeling software going right now. Throughout school I used AutoCAD, ProE and ultimately SolidWorks. If you have used either AutoCAD or ProE, SolidWorks will be a piece of cake as it is extremely intuitive.

The only downside to SolidWorks is that if you don't qualify for the academic version, it is very expensive.

KillerArcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2009, 02:09:39 pm
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2006, 11:13:07 am »
so, one of the things that I'm confused about is how/why you're having a rotating setup when you're also planning a 48x20 4P CP that will have to be removed anyways and not be able to rotate with the rest of the "3-spoked wheel" (for lack of a better term)....?

And then once you explain that, (I'm maybe just missing something obvious, I do that sometimes alot), what is the trick for routing the wiring for each of the CP's on a rotating system? The only thing I can think of is that you have to be somehow running everything into and through your center axle, but I can't quite think of how to do it without a thicker side panel on one end to give the wires a place to come into the main cabinet area, etc.....?

someone please enlighten me...
yeah, that's right.

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 02:23:44 pm »
so, one of the things that I'm confused about is how/why you're having a rotating setup when you're also planning a 48x20 4P CP that will have to be removed anyways and not be able to rotate with the rest of the "3-spoked wheel" (for lack of a better term)....?

And then once you explain that, (I'm maybe just missing something obvious, I do that sometimes alot), what is the trick for routing the wiring for each of the CP's on a rotating system? The only thing I can think of is that you have to be somehow running everything into and through your center axle, but I can't quite think of how to do it without a thicker side panel on one end to give the wires a place to come into the main cabinet area, etc.....?

someone please enlighten me...

Apologies - I guess I haven't been too clear on a lot of things. I originally designed this cabinet with a rotating control panel as inspired by 1UP and Frostillicus. One of the three sides of the rotating panel will have a modular slot to allow for switching in and out various controllers (Star Wars yoke, Hang-On handlebars, steering wheel, etc).

After spending a considerable amount of time tweaking the design to the point where I was happy, it occurred to me that I might want to incorporate a design to allow four players to play. My first thought was to build two separate modules (one for player 3 and one for player 4) that hook on the left and right sides of my cabinet. I decided that this design would be difficult cabling if I were to make it modular - plus there would be a devising line of t-molding down the left and right sides and I felt this wouldn't be very clean. A friend of mine also suggested that I permanently mount the 'wings' on the sides and leave it at that. Again, I felt that it would give the cabinet a gaudy look.

I then decided that I could just pick up a 4-player I-PAC interface and build a completely separate and modular 4-player control panel. With a separate panel, I can plug it into the modular side of my rotating panel with a single USB connector when I want to play with more than two players and remove it altogether for a cleaner look to the cabinet. I can also use the separate 4-player control panel with my home theater system and perhaps add a modular pedestal in the future as well.

As far as routing the cables, I plan to have channels routed down each side of the cabinet walls and use some aluminum C-channel to cover it. I will have one side running power (12v, 5v and GND) in case I need it, and the other side will have a single USB cable run through it. All of my connections will terminate inside the rotating panel where the other 2-player I-PAC will reside and I will have a hub within the panel to tie all peripheral USB connections together.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion.

KillerArcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2009, 02:09:39 pm
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 09:29:39 am »
Quote from: fiscap
I then decided that I could just pick up a 4-player I-PAC interface and build a completely separate and modular 4-player control panel. With a separate panel, I can plug it into the modular side of my rotating panel with a single USB connector when I want to play with more than two players and remove it altogether for a cleaner look to the cabinet.

Gotcha, ok so you're 4P setup will be completely removable then? ok, I'm with ya.

Quote from: fiscap
As far as routing the cables, I plan to have channels routed down each side of the cabinet walls and use some aluminum C-channel to cover it.

Ok, I think I'm following you, but not being a carpenter, I'm having some trouble visualizing it. I can't seem to imagine this working without either an extra think side panel that you can route the channels, or else some really thin spots in your side panel due to the routing.... but IANAC (I Am Not A Carpenter).... so I'm probably just not quite catching something simple.

Anyways, just be sure to take some pictures of this step of the process so as to enlighten less savvy builders such as myself, ok? ;)
yeah, that's right.

Ed ONeill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2012, 10:00:16 am
    • http://home.comcast.net/~coin-opcollector/
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2006, 07:52:20 am »
fiscap check your PM
Always buying Gumball/candy machines and parts email - coin-opcollector@comcast.net
Want list - Diner Pinball, hit the ice cab, tmnt controls and panel

fiscap

• Offline Offline
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 11:02:53 pm »
It's been three weeks since I've been able to do any work on the cabinet - June has been a busy month with two weddings and a block-party festival. I took advantage of a free day yesterday to clean out and organize the garage - it was getting to be a real mess. The clean environment prompted me to get back out there tonight and start creating a new mess  :)

The laminate I ordered from cabinetparts.com should be here tomorrow and I wanted to have some parts cut. I worked on the top sides this evening - not a whole lot of progress, but at least I'm back at it.