Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first cab is complete!!  (Read 3821 times)

dpz147

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2020, 11:49:34 am
My first cab is complete!!
« on: April 14, 2006, 02:42:33 pm »
Hey everyone!

I completed my cab last week and was debating posting it here or not because I know it'll get ripped for being wood grain finished, but I liked the look when I saw some others and went with it.

I'm quite proud of it considering I've never built a thing in my life and didn't even know what a router was...outside of networking.  I had a blast doing it and think it's one of the greatest things I've ever done!

I went with 3 p360's and love them.  I actually found a 27" security monitor at a local 2nd hand store for $40.  It looks great!  I modified the coin door to accept tokens and use it to control/reward my kids.

A huge thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum!  I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Anyway...here's some pics.  Sorry about the first few...I had to use my cell phone cam.

Rip away...   ;D

arcade-mad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2007, 12:21:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: My first cab is complete!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 02:55:52 pm »
Hi
the cab looks great very nice for your first attempt.
I always make cocktails instead of upright i dont know why i just like cocktails better. I use my own design is that a design of your own or did you get it off the net.

Also i dont know if you know but if you put hardware stretch on in the mame setting you will get the game in full screen instaed of up the middle of the monitor. Just noticed in the pacman pic you dont have full screen coverage.

Jeff AMN

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 03:18:13 pm »
Nice job, I always love seeing someone's first completed cabinet.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

dpz147

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 03:21:13 pm »
Thanks arcade-mad!  I was thinking that if I can ever talk my wife into letting me build another cab, I would build a cocktail.

I got the plans off the net but had to modify them a little due to the size of the monitor.

I'll have to try that stretch.  Doesn't it mess up the aspect ratio?

mj147

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 09:44:38 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 03:57:32 pm »
Nice work dpz147, looks very clean.

My first attempt was a wood grain finish, but the staining/sealing was way too much for me to handle as a first woodworking project- so much props to your efforts.

Looks like there is plenty of room for more cabs in that basement  :o

mj147

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 04:24:11 pm »
Nice work. I love the old timey look to it. Retro on retro.
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 04:33:23 pm »
I love the penny arcade look ... it is beautiful ... nicely done!

Cheers.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 06:16:39 pm »
 :applaud: i'm sure the litlle girl on the picture dont care at all if it is grain finished, she just look like she's having lot of fun playing miss pac man  :angel:

well for somebody who never build something, you did a great job, it look very clean and well done.

another very good thing is, that you have a lot of space  ;D that mean more ARCADES  :cheers:

dpz147

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 02:19:32 pm »
Thanks for all the great compliments!

The kids are having a blast with it!  As far as they're concerned, it's the coolest thing in the world...and none of their friends have one!!  ;D

dpz147

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 11:11:44 pm »
Hey guys,

I hate to resurrect an old post, but it's probably the easiest thing to do for reference.

This is the first and only cab that I've ever built...almost 14 years ago. Well, it's been a long time and we've added four more kids since then. This cab is still intact but the PC stopped functioning many years ago and I'm hoping to get it working again. I've been out of it for so long and I'm sure things have changed quite a bit, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions on the best way to get it back up and running.

The PC was running XP (which I know is WAY out of support) and it is stuck in a reboot loop. I actually have an IT background and have done some basic troubleshooting without any obvious answer as to what's causing it.

I'm guessing that there may be better ways to get this working again rather than wasting too much time troubleshooting XP. The hard drive obviously still has all of my front end software and ROMs on it. The monitor is an old tube TV with S-video.

What would be the fastest/best way to get this running again? I would love to have it up and running by Christmas. Should I slave the old drive in a new bare bones PC? I have a Raspberry Pi laying around but never tried using something like that before, and not sure there's a way to go HDMI to S-video.

Any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 11:22:41 pm »
Pi has composite out, bro.  Download a premade image and go.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 09:50:30 am »
agreed - the pi would be quickest and easiest way to do it... but honestly, I think it sucks.  For a temporary solution to get you through Christmas it's OK but I wouldn't want my main cab to be running RetroPie.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 07:12:31 am »
Hey dpz, I had a similar problem with my windows 7 pc just kept rebooting. I am no way a tech expert (dont even now how i manage to post here sometimes). I unplugged the power supply and blew some of the dust off it and removed and reinstalled the memory. Plugged it back, turned it on and it's working again. Maybe just dumb luck but the kids have been enjoying it again.

:cheers: